Lightsaber Tutorial - Much More Realistic

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Bushy162, Oct 24, 2011.

Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lightsaber Tutorial - Much More Realistic (For GREEN)

"Color Dodge" on top of "Add".

EXPLANATION:

"Color Dodge" makes things underneath brighter - BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE ALREADY BRIGHT, which is why you need a bit of white.

REASONING:

To create realism, you need the core's size and brightness to be dependent upon the amount of colour :)

INSTRUCTIONS

GREEN, this should duplicated 4 times, and be blurred 1 : 4 : 8 : 16 . Pre-compose these layers - individually they should be "Normal" but the Pre-comp should be set to "Color Dodge".

WHITE, this should duplicated 3 times, and be blurred 3 : 6 : 9 , relative to the greens. These should individually be "Normal", but the Pre-comp should be set to "Add".

Then finally, if you want more colour, duplicate the Pre-comp of GREEN, and set it to "Lighten" - make sure it's above the original Pre-comp.

[image=http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n637/Bushy162/Screenshot2011-10-24at112957.png]

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  2. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well it's certainly interesting, but I don't know if I'd call it MORE realistic. Current saber glows are close as is; the trick for further realism would be to get it to blur the way a light would in motion.
  3. Altureus Jedi Master

Looks good, The green saber is awesome, but something is weird with the blue. I don't know if it's the pointed tip or what. Maybe, I'm just biased towards the non pointed tip. The sabers look great none the less.
  4. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    CHANGES TO METHOD

- Instead of adding white, it's even better to add the opposite colour to that of the lightsaber. So for green, you'd add purple

- For the green, use the blur ratio 1:4:8:32

- For the purple, use the blur ratio 4:8:16:32 (It sometimes helps to change the opacities, but keep this ratio)
Moderators: AdamBertocci