main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Lightsaber writing tips

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by masterjedi343, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterjedi343

masterjedi343 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 26, 2005
    Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone had tips how to write a really intriguing lightsaber battle. Mine have gotten a bit boring an I'm not really happy with it. Should i add more details, like verbs and such?

2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
  3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Personally, I'd like to read a lightsaber duel without any verbs.

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    For action, short sentences make things move faster. The scenes read faster that way.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Door. He. Red. Blue. Kriff! Floor. Boot. Fist. Wall. Bruise. Flash. Pain. Kark!

Sorry - sounded fun. Back to the topic. [face_blush]

6. Ultimate_Jedi_Master

Ultimate_Jedi_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    Mix in force power attacks.

7. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I think watching sword movies helps with the lightsaber stuff. And reading up on all the forms on Wookiepedia. The different tendencies of the forms can really be tailored to character tendencies. Go watch The Last Samurai, open up Wookiepedia and have a read, and see what you come up with.;)

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Nice! :D

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    You might also want to check out "Duels for Dummies", an article at fanfic.theforce.net.

10. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006
    I love lightsaber duets. Personally I prefer duets to solos. What? Why does everyone always look at me like that?!

11. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've found this article on realistic violence in writing quite helpful in general.

I find myself bored with lightsaber duels quite often, in fanfic and profic both. I guess the whole "he feinted right, slashed left, she sidestepped deftly and caught his blade on hers, blah blah blah" just doesn't hold my attention. I find that injecting thoughts and emotions into it so it's not just a fight but actually important to character development as well often helps. And keeping the sentences short simulates the very quick succession of actions during a fight as well. Keep it simple, keep it straightforward.

Greg Keyes and Timothy Zahn are usually quite good at writing logical, easy-to-follow and interesting fight scenes. If you know any other authors who do it well, read their stuff and try to see how they do it.

Also, choreograph the fight properly, make sure the moves make sense, and make sure that you can follow the action. Then write it so that the reader can follow it, too. Make sure each action has a logical and realistic reaction. Portray the characters' thoughts and instincts, the adrenaline rush and its effects, etc. Find ways to tie it into the storyline, etc.

Uhm. That's the best advice I can give spur-of-the-moment. I'm still learning fight scenes myself.

12. Ultimate_Jedi_Master

Ultimate_Jedi_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    Write in sound effects.

Clash, hum, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out the word for the sound it makes when sharply swung, and each of the 3 ignition sounds (ANH-ESB Luke, ROTJ Luke, and Vader Sith)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.