main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lightsabers and Lullabies (L/M, Ben) Family Missing Moment *COMPLETED 6/28*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    LadyPadme - A one-year-old does need a lot of attention, so it's a good thing that Luke and Mara both like a good challenge.

Jedi_Liz - Thanks. That lullaby was fun to make up, and shows how pathetic the limits of my songwriting skills are. :)

Gabri_Jade - *Gabri pauses, suddenly enchanted with idea of putting energetic little children into sleeping trances* Wow....I suppose it wouldn't be especially ethical, though....

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember a scene in one of the NJO books, where Luke uses the Force to help lull Ben to sleep. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with a fanfic again (like one of mine!). ?[face_plain]

Qwi_Xux - Glad you got caught up. You'll be seeing a little more of the daily life of the students.

Before you know it, your little Anakin will be hooked on the computer, too.

Sash - Yep, Luke's a poet, and didn't know it. :p

RebelMom - Isn't it amazing how they can learn to climb at such a young age?

Much thanks to all of you for the replies. Next post sometime tomorrow.

2. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    I know I said next post tomorrow, but what the heck. This is what I call the boring filler scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buzzzzzz.......

Mara bolted upright and looked around the still-darkened room. She couldn't tell where the sound had come from, but?

Buzzzzzz.......

"What in blazes...?!" Was the station under attack? She didn't feel any danger. Luke stirred beside her, and she could sense first his surprise, then his recognition.

"No, it can't be yet," he muttered.

"Can't be what?" Mara gave him a sideways shove to get his attention. "What is that racket?"

"Morning alarm." He crawled out of bed with a groan and manually turned on one of the room's glowlamps. "Time to get up."

Mara squinted in the light and reached for her chrono lying nearby. It was later in the morning than her body felt it should be. "Does that thing go off all over the station?"

"Yeah." Still bleary-eyed, Luke walked over to where Ben was stirring in his crib. "They told me about it last night, but I forgot to warn you."

"Just because everyone else is getting up doesn't mean we have to," Mara countered. "We're on vacation."

"Mara, we can't lie in bed while all the students are beginning the day's training. It wouldn't look good. Besides, they'd probably send someone down here if we didn't show up for breakfast."

Mara just shook her head. Leave it to Luke to turn this around to an issue of duty. She lay back down as he shuffled into the refresher, glad for the few minutes reprieve that his occupying that room gave her. Even Ben quieted down, as if hoping it was time to go back to sleep. All too soon Luke emerged and automatically began pulling on his clothes.

"Okay, you two lazybones. Time to get up." He reached into the crib and picked up his fretful son, then threatened to bodily drag Mara out as well. It was not without a great deal of grumpy complaining that all three Skywalkers finally made it out the door. During this trip, Ben was content to let his father carry him instead of running along on his own.

As all were finishing their morning meal, Luke and Mara relayed to the students a summary of the latest happenings in the galaxy ? the election of a new Chief of State, the formation of a council of Jedi, and the battle at Ebaq 9.

"I don't see why some of us can't go help fight the Vong," Valin Horn complained, his hazel eyes flashing.

"Valin, you're only thirteen," Luke rationalized patiently.

"Tahiri's only fifteen, and you said she was a squadron commander," the boy returned. "I'm bigger than her. I could do things. I could go around Mon Calamari with mouse droids lookin' for spies." He shot an accusatory look in Mara's direction.

"So could I," added Ri'zer, a young Twi'lek boy of about twelve.

"It's not that we don't think that you're capable," Luke replied, "but we need you here, to finish your training."

"Why can't we go out and be apprenticed to a Knight, and finish our training that way?" Valin argued. "I could go with my dad. He could teach me everything I need to know."

"I'm sure he could, but circumstances right now just don't allow?"

"Sannah and Ri'zer and I, we're old enough to be doin' something with the rest of the Jedi," Valin interrupted. "You only want us here to be babysitters."

"Valin, you know better than to talk like that to Master Skywalker," Kam reprimanded.

Luke held up a hand in a conciliatory gesture. "It's all right, Master Solusar." He glanced around the room at the sea of youthful, anxious faces. "Can we go to one of the training halls? I'd like to sit down and talk to the students."

"Of course," Kam answered. He stood and addressed the group. "Let's all put our trays away and quietly walk down to the exercise room."

When everyone had entered the assigned chamber, Luke settled into a cross-legged position on the padded floor and invited the children to gather around him. Mara sat to one side, holding a fussy Ben in her lap, and Kam and Tionne sat together at the rear of the group.

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Me, me, me!! I'm first to reply again!

I hope this isn't driving you crazy, Jedi-2B!

Again, like I said, either this means I have the Force telling me you're about to post or I spend WAY too much time on the boards. Likely option number two.

Onto the post: I just loved Luke's explanation to the students about why they should stay. How well thought out and 'teacherly' it was. Great job with that.

I also liked how you had Mara hesitate and not spill the beans about Luke singing to Ben. It makes it a much more even relationship to see that Mara (whom I think of as the scarier of the two) doesn't dare just run roughshod over Luke. In general, I love the way you've portrayed this affectionate and understanding relationship between them.

Can't wait to position myself to be first for the next post ;)

4. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This is such a cute story. Gonna have to keep my eye on it.

~~Jilly

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    sweet post

boy, if it gets out that Luke sang Ben to sleep, especially to his old buddies in Rogue Squadron, he'll never hear the end of it.

6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Lovely, Jedi-2B. :) Not boring, sweet. I like how Luke threatened to bodily drag Mara out of bed. He would, too. :p

Who would Ben take after? ? the gentle optimistic father or the volatile pessimistic mother?

*grins* Mara doesn't pull any punches when it comes to analyzing herself, does she? I'll bet that Luke would have phrased that in a much more complimentary manner.

I agree with LP (whom I've never before seen race to be first on a fic like this :p ) that you write Luke and Mara's relationship beautifully. And Liz, remember that half of Rogue Squadron have their own kids. Wedge and Corran and Gavin and most of the others have probably sung plenty of lullabies in their time. ;) :)

7. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Oh, my gosh, I can't believe I missed so many posts! These are all great, Jedi2B.

My favorites are everyone else's, I think: Luke getting caught with Mara's underwear on his head, and Luke's lullaby to Ben. Great stuff!

I love to see Luke and Mara out of their usual gotta-save-the-galaxy mode. I, too, would love to see some of these "normal" moments in the profic. It's nice to see Luke and Mara struggle with parenting, just like every other pair of new parents. :)

Thumbs up, J2B!

8. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    LadyPadme - I'll concede that you must spend more time on the net than I do. But you do get to be at the top of the list of my replies that way.

I also liked how you had Mara hesitate and not spill the beans about Luke singing to Ben. It makes it a much more even relationship to see that Mara (whom I think of as the scarier of the two) doesn't dare just run roughshod over Luke. In general, I love the way you've portrayed this affectionate and understanding relationship between them.

EVERYONE thinks Mara is the scarier of the two, including Luke. But she does respect him, so I don't see her deliberately doing something to hurt him. They do have a good relationship.

JainaDurron - New reader! Welcome. There'll be two more posts for you to watch for.

Jedi_Liz - Like Gabri_Jade said, a lot of the Rogues have kids, too. But I imagine all of them, including Luke, wouldn't want their singing to be a topic of conversation at their reunions.

Gabri_Jade - Yes, Mara is very honest in analyzing herself. I was glad to see you caught Lady Moonbean's 'After the War' vignette. She does a wonderful job with both M&L's characters.

I agree with LP (whom I've never before seen race to be first on a fic like this)

What? You mean LP doesn't always race to be first on M&L fics? :eek:

Dancing_Jansons - Don't worry, I think the story flows better when you do read it all at once. Thanks!

And thanks again to everyone. Next post tomorrow.

9. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    So THIS is where they've all been flocking to! YOU STOLE MY READERS!!!

Hehehe. JK. It's not like I have anything to give them right now anyway. ;)

I LOVE this story. I'd read it before, somewhere else, and absolutely loved it. And it must truly be good if you've got LP so worked up! I don't think I've ever seen a reply that long from her!

Whoa, Jieh! You must really love this!

Hehehe. I wait on baited breath for more. *takes seat beside Jieh 1 and 2*

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Dutifully checking in. Us L/M family fans need to stick together. ;)

11. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    EmilieDarklighter - So THIS is where they've all been flocking to! YOU STOLE MY READERS!!!

Hehehe - I'll gladly share! Thanks. Actually, I'm just doing my token duty in keeping them occupied while they're anxiously waiting for your next posts.

We all have to do our parts in convincing those dyed-in-the-wool H&L fans that there is another great SW couple out there.

RebelMom - Check-in duly noted, thank you very much. :cool: M&L family fics are pretty rare, aren't they?

Everyone ready for the second-to-last post? This is a fun one, if I do say so myself.

Okay, LP, on your mark, get ready, Goooooo.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hands clasped behind his back, Luke stood unobtrusively watching as Ben batted at holographic flitterflies dancing in the air. It was afternoon at Shelter, when the students delighted in hands-on Jedi training, and the youngest Skywalker was no exception.

Myri Antilles was the master controller at the toy holoprojector that Admiral Ackbar had sent Ben as a gift. She adjusted a bright red knob, changing the pattern in which the tiny insects appeared. Ben's eyes darted back and forth as he instinctively anticipated where the next flitterfly would pop up. When his hand connected with a hologram during its one-second life span, a bell chimed inside the projector. Ben liked bells.

Luke stoically fought the smile that threatened to appear on his face as Ben successfully targeted a series of five of the multi-colored apparitions. He glanced to the side as Mara approached and laid her head against his shoulder.

"You're not going to succumb to the dark side for demonstrating pride in your son," she whispered.

Luke sighed in response. "I shouldn't show favoritism during training sessions."

"What favoritism? You've never shied away from telling any of your other students that you're proud of them."

"Ben isn't just any other student."

"No, he's OUR student." Mara raised her head and looked her husband in the eye. "Luke, parents are allowed to take pleasure in their children's accomplishments." She cocked an eyebrow and tilted her head encouragingly, then moved to crouch on the floor next to Ben.

"Are you catching lots of pretties, Ben?"

"Purty ... nah-nee ..." Ben reached up and slapped at a flitterfly that materialized right in front of Mara's face. "Yeee...!"

Luke couldn't hold back a chuckle this time ? it was a good thing Mara had quick reflexes, or Ben would have bopped her in the nose. Finally giving in, and not wanting to be left out of the fun, Luke knelt down and enveloped both Ben and Mara in a warm hug. "You're doing great, Ben," he praised, kissing the child's forehead softly. "I'm so proud of you."

"Da-da-da," Ben jabbered, his eyes lighting up as he tracked a new flitterfly within his reach. Luke impulsively raised his hand and tapped one of the insects overhead, eliciting a round of happy squealing from his son.

"Hey, who said you could flick flitterflies?" Mara pouted.

"Ben did." Luke pretended to reach for one of the holograms as it popped up near Ben, letting the youngster just barely beat him to it. "And I want to hear you say that three times fast," he said, shooting Mara a wink.

Luke pulled the toddler closer, and whispered in his ear.

"Chaw-wenge ... nah-nee," the boy stuttered.

"I believe Ben just laid down a challenge," Luke translated. "Us against you. Whoever taps the most flitterflies in a certain amount of time wins."

"Both of you, against only me?" Mara narrowed her eyes, considering. Ben would more than likely slow Luke down, giving her the advantage ? a fact that Luke wouldn't have overlooked. She squinted at her smug-looking husband through the field of fluttering illusions surrounding them. He was being patronizing again, blast him.

"Doesn't sound like fair odds to me," she muttered. "I need a partner too."

"Well, all right." Luke frowned. Why would she want someone getting in her way? Unless she realized? Of course she realized... That's what he go

12. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

...huffing and puffing, LP crosses the finish line...did I make it first again?

WOOHEE!

Lovely post again, Jedi-2B...I really liked how Luke was so torn between wanting to cheer for Ben and not wanting to show partiality.

Mara was a pretty gracious winner, I thought. I wonder what would have happened if she had lost. :eek:

Anyway, this makes 5 in a row! I doubt I'll be first next time. Got to work all day Saturday. Oh, well. I'm sure it'll still be a great post to read when I come home. :)

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    good post

I think if Mara had lost, I am sure Jedi-2B would have written her calm, or at least had Luke tweak her temper. :p

14. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Dang, you're fast, woman. And the first-place medal goes to LadyPadme!! With a close second by Jedi_Liz.

So you wanted to see Mara lose, just to see her temper skyrocket? Liz is probably right, Luke would've kept her calm in front of the kiddies. And she's so happy just to be with Ben, I doubt she would've been too upset. (Besides, how do you know Luke didn't lose on purpose, just to keep her calm? He's that way, you know.)

Not sure what time Saturday I'll post. I'll be in and out most of the day, too.

Thanks to both of you guys.

15. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I want one of those holomachines. that was so fun. :)

16. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Such a wonderful post. Adorable.

~~Jilly

17. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Poor Luke, torn between being a father and being a Jedi Master. Mara was very sweet, convincing him that it was all right to be proud of Ben. :)

Ben would more than likely slow Luke down, giving her the advantage ? a fact that Luke wouldn't have overlooked. She squinted at her smug-looking husband through the field of fluttering illusions surrounding them. He was being patronizing again, blast him.

"Doesn't sound like fair odds to me," she muttered. "I need a partner too."

"Well, all right." Luke frowned. Why would she want someone getting in her way? Unless she realized? Of course she realized... That's what he got for trying to be nice.

That absolutely cracks me up. So wonderfully in character for both. :D

Luke shook his head, but managed to refrain from rolling his eyes. Only his dear wife would put 'conditions' on a simple courtesy.

This too. :D

Valin Horn took that as an opening to ask Kam, as serious as could be, "Can we bet on who wins?"

"Certainly not."

*giggles*

We all have to do our parts in convincing those dyed-in-the-wool H&L fans that there is another great SW couple out there.

We may have already won LP over. *eyes LP speculatively* Not converted, mind you, but really, I don't remember seeing her race to post like this even on the H/L fics we've both read. I'm quite impressed. My congratulations, Jedi-2B. ;)

18. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    :D Good post!

I love how what Luke sees as a "simple courtesy", Mara sees as a disadvantage for her team! LOL! Great characterizations, Jedi-2B.

19. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    I do wonder how Mara might have taken it if she had lost.... Luke and Ben make such a cute team! :)

20. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    I do wonder how Mara might have taken it if she had lost.... Luke and Ben make such a cute team! :)

21. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    RebelMom - Guess you'll have to check the shelves at SpaceToys-R-Us and see if they have any more in stock. :p

JainaDurron - Thanks! It was a fun scene to write.

Gabri_Jade - Can't wait to see Ben's years growing up, with those two as parents. Never a dull moment! (DelRey had better not dare kill off anybody from this little family!)

We may have already won LP over. *eyes LP speculatively* Not converted, mind you, but really, I don't remember seeing her race to post like this even on the H/L fics we've both read. I'm quite impressed. My congratulations, Jedi-2B.

I didn't expect a conversion away from H&L, by any means, but an open-minded acceptance is quite nice! Thanks, Gabri!

Dancing_Jansons - They know each other so well, don't they? Thanks.

Sash - Double thanks. Like father, like son.

One more post left, people. Hopefully I'll be able to snatch some computer time tomorrow to put it up. Thanks again to everyone reading this.

22. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, folks, here's the last post. Many thanks to everyone who's been following this little tale. It's been a fun ride. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the week passed much too swiftly, in Mara and Luke's opinion. Before they knew it, the morning of their departure had arrived. Luke sat on the floor with Ben, playing with the toy A-wing they'd brought him as a present, while Mara listlessly began packing their clothes into their satchels.

"This is even harder than I thought it would be," she said, pausing in her task and listening to Ben's jabbering. "He could be saying complete sentences by the time we see him again."

"Kam and Tionne promised to send holos more often," Luke responded.

"It's not the same," Mara murmured.

"I know." Luke gazed at his wife's downcast expression, feeling and sharing the sorrow that filled her heart. "Mara, if you want to stay here with him, I'll understand," he offered. "I could return to Mon Cal by myself."

Mara shut her eyes briefly, composing herself. "No. I told you on Borleias, if my actions can in any way shorten this war by even a few days, then that is the best thing I can do for Ben. When I decided to become a Jedi, it was to put the needs of others before my own selfish desires. Tionne and Kam are capable of taking excellent care of him. Being jealous of the time they spend with him is not very Jedi-like." She rose and resettled herself next to Luke. "Besides," she said, kissing him softly on the cheek, "who better to watch your back? You need me with you."

"I do," he agreed, returning her kiss, this time on the lips.

"Da-da," Ben interrupted, pushing his way into his parents' welcome embrace. "Nah-nee."

"We all need each other. Isn't that right, Ben?" Luke grinned brightly at his son.

Mara listened to Ben's string of babbling. "I do believe he's agreeing with you, Skywalker. Though he doesn't think we need to be wasting valuable time kissing when he wants to play."

"You wouldn't be here, fellah," Luke said with a laugh, "if mommy and daddy didn't waste time with kissing and such."

Ben gave both his parents a comical, curious stare, then easily drew them both into his world of carefree play.

The parting scene on the Jade Shadow's landing pad proved as heartrending as expected. Kam and Tionne had wisely left the other students inside, Luke and Mara having said their good-byes to them earlier. Kam stowed the luggage inside the ship, then returned just as Mara reluctantly handed Ben into Tionne's open arms.

"Farewell, sweetheart," Mara whispered, leaning in for one final kiss. "I love you." She slowly backed away, grateful for Luke's strong hands on her shoulders. She could sense Ben's confusion, and knew the child could feel her anguish.

"Mah-mee," Ben cried out, extending his small hand to his mother.

It was more than Mara could bear, hearing her son finally able to pronounce 'mommy.' Tears running down her cheeks, she broke free of Luke's embrace and fled into the ship.

Luke watched his wife's retreating form for a moment, then turned back to Ben's whimpering figure, straining to escape Tionne's grasp and follow his mother. His own heart ached to take Ben into his arms one more time, but he couldn't put his son through a second separation from a parent's embrace. Doing his best to send warm feelings of comfort to Ben, he stroked the boy's hair and kissed him softly on the cheek.

"Be a good boy, Ben," he said soothingly. "We'll come back to see you as soon as we can, but now mommy and I have to go."

Ben blinked forlornly. "Da-da ... go?"

"Yes, Ben, we have to go," he repeated, kissing Ben's outstretched fingers before backing away. "We love you." Luke glanced up at Tionne, who was fighting tears of her own. "Thank you," he said softly, then turned to shake Kam's hand. "Thank you both."

As Luke retreated toward the ship's ramp, he faced the group and raised one hand in farewell. "May the Force be with all of you."

Tionne murmured quietly to Ben, then encouraged her

23. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    First post!!!! For you, LP. ;) :D

Now I need to actually read it... :p

EDIT: So sad! :( Stupid EU, that invented the stupid Vong war that keeps families apart. :mad:

"I'm not getting any younger," Mara bluntly pointed out.

"I know that, but?"

Mara leaned forward, regarding him in astonishment.

*giggles madly* You'd really have thought that Luke would have better presence of mind than that.

"I'm sure you could manage without me for a few months at a time. You went for ten years not wanting to be anywhere near me."

"No I didn't," she muttered under her breath.

Perfect. Of course she didn't. :)

*sighs* I want Luke and Mara to have another child, too. I'd like to see them with the daughter that Luke was originally so sure Ben would be. Why do I suspect the EU won't give them that? But even that would be horribly sad, because you're right: Luke would insist on Mara going to Shelter, and it's bad enough that they're separated from Ben.

Wonderful story, the currently annoying EU notwithstanding. I love seeing Luke and Mara interact with Ben finally, and your characterizations are perfect, as always. Thanks for posting it here, Jedi-2B! :D

24. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Wonderful!

LP claps hands...stands up to give ovation!

That was a wonderful fic, Jedi-2B! It was simply adorable and well written and really touched on the heartstrings.

I enjoyed this very much.

Might I suggest that you submit this to the archives?

Great job, and I can't wait to read more from you!

25. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Wonderful. It was so cute when Ben finally said Mommy - poor Mara.

Yes, Ben does need a sibling. Several even.

Now I'll wait patiently for that next book of Journey. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.