main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsabers and stuff...

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediXXL, Apr 11, 2003.

1. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Hooray! Glad to hear you got it, Jon!

I gave Jess her X-Mas gift a bit early - a Prophecy with a purple blade. They use the RGB LED to get the purple light, but only wire up blue and red on the LED itself. Looks like the blue LED is no longer responding. :( I wrote to Ultrasabers today, so we'll see what can be done to get it working again!

2. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Got a response from Ultrasabers amidst the holiday weekend craziness.

Turns out the blue LED and red LED respond at different voltages. So, after a while, while the batteries aren't fully drained, they affect how much each of the different lights show up, with the blue diminishing first, leaving only the red LED responding. It was amusing seeing the lightsaber slowly go from purple to fuchsia to hot pink to red. :p

We popped some new batteries in the saber and it was almost royal blue! But, as told, the blue responded just fine.

Word to the wise to those looking for purple blades. Bring extra batteries! :p

3. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    I want to get one of the Initiate sabers in order to do regular saber and shoto (short) saber fights.

4. chewbaccachris34

chewbaccachris34 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2010
    I'll need the cheapest saber on the website

5. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    The plastic hilt ones are pretty cheap. Check out the Archon and Nemesis and a few others in that range.

6. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    Okee Day. This'll just be for dueling purposes. I wont need a full-fledged Obi-Wan saber, probably just an Ob-Wan hilt and a brown robe.

7. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    i still want to get the graflex hilt from parksabers, but thats 150 and would take out a chunk from my expenses.

8. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I have an extra one I would be willing to part with. I cant remember which one I have but it was from the duel last year. It's in really good shape and the color blade is blue.

9. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    ooo how much would you want for it?

10. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    Im mad at the fact that they dont have any cheap metal hilts that have the same slanted emitter as Luke/Anakin's

11. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    let me know about it via PM

12. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    sorry about that. its me. let me know about it via PM

13. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    They don't seem to offer the Rifter anymore. I actually picked that up last year for any ANH/ESB Luke duels or just as a backup Jedi saber for someone. It's an okay saber. Definitely a good starter dueling saber. I've been thinking about letting it go as well.

Steve, will you be at the next meeting? I'll bring it along for you to see.

14. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    The plastic hilts aren't bad for dueling, either. The one I have primarily used (and several others as well) have been the plastic hilts. If you decide to go that route, the Nemesis and the Omen have the slanted emitter you seek.

One thing to keep in mind as well, for events like the Bisons game, we're so far away from the crowd that they can't see the hilts. They can only see bodies and blades. Though I do totally understand getting a stunt/dueling saber that looks vaguely similar to the one you want.

15. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Me Steve or Chewdookuclaus Steve? And yes I'll be there

16. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    You. The one looking for a lightsaber. Steve Prime has a ton already. :p

17. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Splendid!

18. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    hmm. yes. lightsabers. Im buying a graflex first and then finishing the costume. then im purchasing a new/used ultrasaber

19. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Is it possible to change the color of an ultrasaber without changing the actaul blade itself?

20. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    There are a few options.

The thing is the LED itself is in the hilt, and the light is projected into the empty blade, as opposed to Force FX sabers or Parksabers which have strings of LEDs within the blade itself.

One option is to buy a white-bladed lightsaber (or "Adegan Silver"). They come with color-changing discs so you can put the disc inside the hilt before inserting the blade, and that turns the light its respective color. However, keep in mind that the blade won't be as bright as a proper LED of that respective color. The white light is among the lower colors as far as the brightness of the LEDs (though, to be fair, the Seoul P4 LEDS they use now are supposed to be brighter than the Luxeon III LEDs they were using before), and the color discs essentially block all light in the white light that is NOT the same color as the disc, so the color lessens even more.

For a brighter option (albeit, much more expensive), buy the RGB light option. This puts the RGB LED into the saber, so you have one red LED, one blue LED, and one green LED. You can turn them all on individually, or mix and match for color combinations (such as purple and cyan, and I believe yellow and white are also possible). Keep in mind though, that's an extra $90 for that color option.

Personally, while the RGB idea is a cool concept, I don't like it practically, due to the aesthetics. The RGB option adds a lot of extra "stuff" to the hilt, as you have 3 buttons as opposed to just 1 (one button for each of the LEDs). Also, the back has a switch (it's a nice idea, as it keeps the color combination you ahd locked in, so you can essentially turn your saber off and turn it back on, even if you had a mixed color (saving you from turning a lightsaber on as blue and then adding red to make purple, for example). However, I just don't like the way it all looks on the lightsaber. That's only my personal taste. I would never tell anyone "don't get an RGB saber." If you really like one hilt design and only want to buy one lightsaber, then that's the way to go. Personally, for $90 I'd just buy another saber. :p

21. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks BP

22. chewbaccachris34

Jun 16, 2010
    Hey BPS can you bring in some of your ultrasabers to the meeting?

23. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    There's a piece one can order from The Custom Saber Shop that will actually convert a C-Cell or a D-Cell Mag-Lite flashlight into a lightsaber. Basically, it swaps out the head of the flashlight for this piece which serves as a blade holder (you'd still need to get a blade and a retention screw to make it a saber you could duel with). Pretty cool idea to make a saber on the cheap!

24. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Hm, looks like the LED needs to be replaced on the "Mag-Lite Saber" in order for it to really work. Still, a cool idea to make a cheap lightsaber. I may have to try it sometime.

25. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Parksabers just came out with two new models: a Qui-Gon and an Ahsoka!