main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers and Water

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedifalker, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifalker

jedifalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm not really sure where to post this, so I'll do it in the E.U. because I think I remember reading about this in one of the novels.

Recently my friends and I got into a debate about whether lightsabers worked underwater like in the Clone Wars series. I say that they cannot and the cartoon did it to be cool, but they say otherwise. What say you?

2. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Lightsabers can work under water, as pointed out in the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I dont think they shimmer like Kit Fisto's, but im sure they work. Water can't put out pure energy ;)

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, that's a good question.
    As I understand, in a cut TPM scene and in the novel they say a wet lightsaber is inoperative.

But the cartoon series contradicts this.

Who has the cannon, a scene from the cutting room floor or the cartoon?

I would argue, as Kit's species is adapted to aqueous environments he had a modification to the emitter that allowed it to operate while under water. I have nothing to back this up, but it fits in my head.

4. jedifalker

Apr 6, 2005
    I used the scene from TPM as part of my source material. Haven't read "Splinter", one of the few books I haven't read. I could swear I read in another EU book about a lightsaber not working with water involved...

5. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    Of course there is a little known source of lightsabers working fine in the rain called.......

ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!

6. jedifalker

Apr 6, 2005
    Rain is one thing, I'm talking about UNDERwater.

7. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    It's basically under water in the rain....from a certain point of view.

Yet I see your point. Lightsabers and water has had the worse consensticy in SW history, following names of saber forms.

8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I could swear I read in another EU book about a lightsaber not working with water involved...

If my memory serves, it was a JA book. I don't remember the name, but Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were chasing Bruck and/or Xanatos through the Jedi Temple and had to go thought the temple's sewer. I recall lightsabers being inoperable in water mentioned there...

9. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    I don't see why they would be...All they are is reflected energy, unless the Refaction would mess with the beam, making it too weak to operate...

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Normal lightsabers do not function underwater and, indeed, cease to function after being submerged in water completely.

However, there is a simple modification that most Jedi make to their lightsabers which allow them to completely submerge their lightsbers and have them function afterwards like Qui-Gon Jinn. In the cutting room scene described, Qui-Gon admonishes Obi-Wan for being careless, not for the lightsaber itself.

In addition, several characters such as Kit Fisto and Luke Skywalker make permanent modifications to their lightsabers, usually in the form of a crystal modification, which allows underwater usage.

11. Barbatis_Rahl

Barbatis_Rahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2004
    Id think the problem would be getting int to the elctronics sometimes.

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    That's what I thought, Qui-Gon tells Obi off for not shutting the power down and the lightsaber lost it's charge

13. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Right, but as I recall he also says it will dry off in a few hours and work fine :confused:, but he should have powered it down when he knew it was going to get wet :confused:
    as opposed to standby?

At any rate, having a specific modification for use under water (as clearly outlined above) seems to be the best explanation.

14. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    in games, they often work under water. whether this is another source in favor of the underwater thing or just for gameplay purposes is up to debate.

maybe a lightsaber works when activated and then put under water, but not vice versa, as in the latter, components arent protected by the blade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.