main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers as posession and attachment

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Little_Red_Jedi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Does anyone else think the idea of the Lightsaber could be regarded as both a Posession, and an attachment.

Jedi don't go anywhere without them, they are very attached to their weapon of choice. Anakin gets grilled by Obi-Wan for losing his...so it must be regarded as very important.

Obi-Wan even chooses to redesign is old hilt in Episode II after it was lost in Theed, so he must have been very fond of it.

Any thoughts?

2. yoda-da-pimp8744

yoda-da-pimp8744 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
  3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Interesting thoughts. This is one of the best new topics we've gotten in the last few days because it brings up many avenues of intelligent discussion.

Here are some of my thoughts.

A lightsaber I think means more than a possesion, it is an integral part of a Jedi's identity, both to the Jedis themselves and to the public in general. Even Anakin equated Jedis with sabers in TPM, coming from a world devoid of knights.

Notice also that all sabers are custom made and are significantly affected by the users personality. Also, the act of building a saber marks a turning point in an apprentice's life. Vader said to Luke that his skills were "complete" when he realized that Luke had built his sabre.

Obi-Wan said in AotC "This weapon is your life." This is very literal, as a Jedi without a lightsaber can easily be killed in a Galaxy full of turmoil. But there is also symbolic meaning here. Notice that he picks up Anakin's lightsaber after the battle in RotS, he had no reason for doing that except to hold on to something of Anakin's Jedi identity. By passing on the weapon to Luke, I think Obi-Wan is trying to keep Anakin's identity alive in Luke.

There are many things we can discuss in this topic, so bring on the good, in-depth thoughts that have always characterized this forum. :)

4. MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi

MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Very nice topic indeed.

It is said like you did Spiegel, that a lightsaber resembles the Jedi carrying it. Since they are the republics diplomats for the more disturbing situations, fighting is their last alternative. But when they do have to engage, they choose to defend themselves and others instead of using a "uncivilized" blaster. It's is an extension of their arm.

In KOTORII, there is a cave where you find a crystal with your name on it to build you lightsaber with, meaning that a lightsaber is a real personal belonging and important to the person carrying it.

5. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Thanks, it's something I've often pondered.

So, do you think the very nature of the lightsaber contradicts the Jedi Code? Or is it above that?

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Uh, it's an unliving tool that can be replaced. if you lose one and get irritated you don't turn to the Darkside, you get a new one.

7. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    VadersLaMent, you are missing my point. Anakin states that possesion and attachment are forbidden by the Jedi Code. In my original post, I mentioned how the lightsaber is represented as being BOTH to those who wield them.

8. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    That's an interesting point. Do Jedi's form an emotional attachment to their weapon? I don't think so. They show no emotional reaction when they lose their weapon, and they lose them quite often apparently.

Like LaMent said, maybe they are just tools. Like clothers or shoes.

9. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Don't forget, Spike, that Obi-Wan chose to recreate his Episode I hilt design. Did he do this simply because he was used to the design, or because he became attached to it in the same way we might have a favourite pen or a favourite hat?

And does the lightsaber not count as a possession?

10. Marshmellin

Marshmellin Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    A lightsaber does indeed count as a possession.

Jedi cloaks are possessions.

Clothing is a possession.

Yoda?s house, food, clothing, and land are all forms of possessions.

I believe that Anakin?s vocal interpretation of the Jedi Code can not be taken quite so literally. It is impossible for anyone (even a Jedi) to survive without some form of possession.

Personally, I feel that Anakin simply meant possession in excess. The life of a Jedi is hard, somewhat austere, and rather simplistic in style:

A Jedi strives to hear the Force.

Therefore, a Jedi need not concern him/herself with accumulating things:
    A Jedi shouldn?t fall to greed, lust, desire, or overwhelming passion. This clouds the Force. It?s the same trap the Sith fell into. Desire and lust for power.

A Jedi has what he needs to survive: no more, no less.

I do, however, think there is an emotional attachment to the lightsabers. They build them, choose the color crystal for them, and use them. It?s a classic response to a weapon. Soldiers can sometimes get attached to their guns; warriors would get attached to their swords. Is a Jedi any different?

Just because they aren?t supposed to fall into excess doesn?t mean they can?t be fond of something.

It is a tool they use, yes, and it is also a part of their identity, but I think it goes deeper than that. That weapon is their defense, offence, espionage tool, lock-pick, metal cutter, pocket knife, power pack, small heater, and flashlight.

I?d think they get attached.

11. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    A light saber a possesion, yeah, important to a jedi..yeah, an attachment..no. You can get another one without it driving you to seek the power of life over death an murdering the jedi. It's not an obsession. It's their weapon, and they use them only when they have to and only for defense. It's more like an extension of their beliefs and should only be used when there lives are threatened. Even if they become attached to their weapon..it shouldn't push them over the edge if they lose one. I mean they lose their light sabers all the time..it's more like an annoyance or failure when they lose it. It's important because they shouldn't lose them when it counts.

12. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    I do think the lightsaber is more a significant possession than a cloak or some boots, though. They rely on it so strongly.

13. Nihilist

May 8, 2005
    Yeah..it's very important.and it can be deadly if lost at the wrong time(in combat) but I don't think it's the kind of possesion or attachment that can be considered dangerous outside of combat. It's replaceable, the problems are attachments that lead to selfish acts based on ego and emotion running off the rails.

You can accept the loss of a lightsaber..some cannot accept the loss of someone they're attached to.
    It's not so much that you can't have possesions, you just can't allow those possesions or attachments to mean too much.

14. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Obi-Wan said in AotC "This weapon is your life." This is very literal

Everyone in this thread who has said that the Jedi's identity is wrapped up in a thing like a lightsaber completely misses the point of Star Wars.

Doesn't anyone remember that Luke becomes a Jedi after he tosses aside his lightsaber in ROTJ. Luke declares, "I am a Jedi." The Emperor, too, admits it when he calls Luke a Jedi and then tries to blast him with his Force lightning.

That's the whole problem with the PT -- everyone has focused on the lightsaber fights.

As a swordsman, one of the earliest lesson he or she has to learn is to avoid getting attached to a particular weapon. It can break in an instance. And all this mumbo jumbo about creating your own lightsaber, finding crystals, bla, bla has probably never picked up a sword and worked hard to learn how to use it. It's so easy for non-fencers to get sentimental about a piece of metal, or to be enraptured by the scintilating blade like a lightsaber. This has nothing to do with being true to yourself, finding your own identity, choosing a proper path in life, finding your bliss.

Don't you guys remember Obi-Wan telling Luke to turn off his computer. It's not the technology. It's the human spirit.

If you want my full explanation, buy my book -- Shimmering Sword: Samurai, Western, and Star Wars Sword Fighting

15. Nihilist

May 8, 2005
    I know what you're saying and I agree, the lightsaber is a means to an end, if needed, but they aren't about the battle, they'd rather not have to battle, it's about enlightment for a jedi a path to a meaningful life.
    Yoda says it "wars not make someone great"..

16. The_Little_Red_Jedi

Nov 3, 2004
    Interesting.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

17. cantina-barmaid

cantina-barmaid Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    I think they are both. The training that is given to the Jedi says Obi-wan. "A weapon for a more civilized age".
    Just putting my 2 cents in here. Wouldnt it have been cool to see ANH Obi in the fight scene with Vader twirling his light sabre like he used to in the PT.
    After seeing II & III fight scenes, I just love the way both characters(Anakin and Obi-wan) spin and twirl those beautiful weapons in the palms of their hands before the last killing blow. It gives me goosebumps.

18. Marshmellin

Marshmellin Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    An experienced carpenter with poor tools can still build a decent house. The tools do not build the house; they only assist.

That's my answer.

The Jedi, in my opinion, might be able to master the Force to a point where they don't need weapons. I know it's a far stretch, but if that were possible it would only show the Jedi's connection to the Force.

The lightsaber assits them in combat. The Force does the actual work. They may be attached, they may not: heck, they may not even care about the weapon itself so long as it stops them from getting a limb whacked off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.