main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers have a connection to user's soul?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -TEEPO-, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -TEEPO-

-TEEPO- Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    As we know, Lucas has employed mythology into Star Wars.
    One particular piece of mythology is the connection between the weapon (the sword) and the person who holds it.
    What if this applies the Jedi and their sabers? A Jedi must construct his/her own Lightsaber--which establishes the connection.
    In AOTC, when Anakin and Obi-wan fought Dooku, they both lost. It has been questioned: how can Obi-wan defeat Maul, but not Dooku? Is it because he was using a different saber?
    The same goes for Luke. He was using his father's saber. When he built his own in ROTJ, he became stronger.

Here's a few side thoughts on this...

1) When the Emperor was attempting to lure Luke over to the darkside, he was clutching his saber. Perhaps this gave him a minor passage to Luke's soul.

2) Obi-wan stressed how important the saber is. 'This weapon is your life.'

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Interesting -- especially since Anakin keeps losing his lightsaber in AOTC...

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    OBi killed Maul with Qui-Gon's saber though.

The Anxiously Azure Apoplectic One of Unending Absurity :D

4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I was watching a special on the Last Samurai and it states that the samurai sword is an extension of the samurai's soul, and we know how gL is easternly influenced.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It has been questioned: how can Obi-wan defeat Maul, but not Dooku? Is it because he was using a different saber?

Interesting idea, but Obi-Wan didn't really defeat Maul with his lightsaber skills, but rather by doing something completely unexpected. Remember, Maul let his guard down because he assumed Kenobi was weaponless.

Plus, IMO Dooku is a much more skilled opponent than Maul was. While Darth Maul may have been flashier, Dooku was much, much more deadly.

6. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    So maybe the cord on Obi's saber in ANH was actually connected to his soul. Ha, and they said it was to a power source.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

7. Cloud_Car

Cloud_Car Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    I don't think there's a cnnxn between a lighstaber and it's user. ;) However if there is, I wouldn't be surprised.

~Cloud_Car

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I don't feel there is a physical (or mental) link between a Jedi and their lightsabre...but there could be a spiritual link, a comfort-level with a lightsabre that they made with their own hands.

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    LOL at Warrior_of_Mandalore

Little did Vader know that all he had to do was knock Obi-Wan's lightsaber out of his hands so that the plug popped out of his soul.

Seriously though . . . I think there is something to the idea that a Jedi's lightsaber reflects his "self" in some way. Consider:

-Luke is given his father's lightsaber in ANH, which is sort of like a kid beginning to identify with his father and the grownup world "out there."

-Luke loses Anakin's lightsaber in ESB, because clearly identifying with dear old Dad isn't going to get him any farther in life. At the end of the movie, he's left questioning who he is.

-Luke has built his own lightsaber by ROTJ, showing that "his skills are complete." He has become his own man.

-Luke makes another self-defining move at the end of ROTJ, when he decides that he'd rather die than risk becoming what his father became.

I'm not sure how elaborate a "symbol system" you can create around lightsabers--that is, I don't know that they exactly mean one thing.

Anakin's repeated losing of his lightsaber in AOTC probably doesn't mean he's having a series of self-defining moments, for instance. It probably means that he's not mature enough to handle the first step Luke took--symbolically walking out of his childhood world into the outer world, what in Campbell's myth terms would be the "world of the father." (Anakin never quite seems to completely identify with Obi-Wan as "Dad." He's only the next-closest thing. Anakin's inner world is still all Mom--and in myth terms, that's bad.)

Obi-Wan's losing his lightsaber in TPM and having to use Qui-Gon's is probably meant to evoke the idea that he's walking out of the padawan state and into the master state--which he's not quite "big" enough for yet. He's kind of shuffling around in "Dad's" shoes, which don't quite fit.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think Adam meant Anakin loosing his saber repeatedly was foreshadowing for his turning to the Dark Side in later films ("loosing his soul").

However, I tend to think not. While the Jedi are based in part of Samurai, Lucas for the most part avoids religion within the Saga. It's not clear that there are either any sort of "gods/god" or souls. The closest you ever get is Force ghosts. But that would suggest some very strange things about Froce ghosts that I don't think hold true.

So interesting, but probably not acceptable as an cannonical in-universe explanation of anything.

11. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I dont know if your saber is your soul. However, i do think that your own built saber is better than some workshop made one. And about the whole Obi killing Maul with Qui-Gon's saber...As someone else said, it was the element of surprise that gave Obi the victory

12. rogue-padawan

rogue-padawan Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2003
    Don't forget what Obi told Anakin: "This weapon is your LIFE!" I would say that the lightsaber is highly revered by the jedi, not only because they trust their lives to it, but because they are the only one to wield them. Therefore, they have a special significance. Like a samurai, the jedi sees his blade as an extention of himself, doing the will of the Force through him.

13. Darth_Sloth

Darth_Sloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2002
    "In AOTC, when Anakin and Obi-wan fought Dooku, they both lost. It has been questioned: how can Obi-wan defeat Maul, but not Dooku? Is it because he was using a different saber?"

But remember, Obi-wan and Anakin weren't using their own sabers against Dooku. They were prisoners, and had their weapons taken off them. The other Jedi threw them some spares...

14. Agriias

Agriias Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2000
    One of the things i notice is that the lightsabers are made with special colored crystals.

In occult beliefs crystal and gems tend to store the memories and lifeforce of its master. Also they are used to for all different purposes for meditation, and a host of other attributes and rituals.

Its been said before about samurias beliefs about swords. I relate it to a athlete or more specifically a baseball player. anyone who played in little league found they had a specific bat they felt was lucky and got attached to. Or for instance in wrestling alot of the time wrestlers have lucky shoes they only wear for tournaments or tough competition. i know i would only discard a pair of lucky shoes when i felt they symbolised a past time, or my abilities in a more unrefined and matured state.

but thats just me, and im crazy wack funky.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with Ophelia in that I definitely think there is symbolism attached to a Jedi's lightsabre, but I don't think there's a set system to that symbolism as far as colours go or anything.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. little_Skywalker

little_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't feel there is a physical (or mental) link between a Jedi and their lightsabre...but there could be a spiritual link, a comfort-level with a lightsabre that they made with their own hands.

agreed perhaps a spiritual link. Many people feel safer with a weapon Why? bescause it gives a aura of power and safty perhaps this is the same with a lightsaber and the jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.