main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Lightsabers, lightsabers, get your lightsabers!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Kat, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Hey hey, what colour lightsaber would you want? Any colour in the rainbow...including puce ;) ...but first think about this:

In TPM - Obi Wan uses a GREEN blade on Maul and wins
    In ROTJ - Luke uses a GREEN lightsaber on Vader and beats him into submission.
    In AOTC - Anakin gets dimembered by Dooku using a BLUE saber but Yoda fends him off using a GREEN saber
    In ANH - Obi Wan uses a BLUE saber on Vader. Dies.
    In ESB - Luke uses a BLUE saber on Vader. Dis-armed, literally.

Perhaps in EpIII - Will Obi Wan have a GREEN saber to whup Anakin?

Interesting...

So, while I have to say I want a WHITE lightsaber (yes...you heard/read me right! WHITE!), I think GREEN might be the smartest move here.. :D

(As for PURPLE lightsabers...let's just say...Mace Windu and his lightsaber don't count at the moment...I think Jango was just not up to snuff as we all thought he would be...puh...but if you still want to choose purple...be my guest!)

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Nope. Sorry. It must be a blue sabre for me. I always liked that shade of blue.

As a matter of fact I intend to get a electroluminescent blade for my sabre someday and it definitely going to be blue!

3. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    then you will be decaptitated, killed, lose a body part, or some other manner of painfulness, as a result of using a blue lightsaber.

4. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    I think I will be the one to decapitate, kill or make John lose a body part, or inflict some other manner of painfulness...just because he keeps spelling "lightsaber" with "re"...as Canadian as I am...you just can't do THAT!!! :eek:

5. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    I can live with that.

Or not live if its that decapitation bit...

I will suffer for my artistic expression of having a blue lightsabre!

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    From this page, but not the only one that makes the same argument:

Virtually the entire world, consistently spells the French word sabre as "sabRE". Except that is, for the United States. In the USA, sport-fencers know that the word is spelled sabRE, but common convention employs the spelling "sabER", largely for the curved sword used by US cavalry forces last century. It is a curious linguistic convention that in the USA, virtually all French/Latin-derived spellings of this sort have been reversed, such as "metER" for metre & ''litER'' for litre, even "centER" for centre.

Even the British, who have a far greater history of linguistic animosity towards the French, spell gallic words correctly. While Star Wars IS a U.S. funded production, even IT originally spelled the word according to international conventions. According to published LucasFilm policy, ONLY the
    movies themselves, the film novels and the radio-plays are to be considered canonical - and in that order. The first edition of the ANH novel, therefore, is THE most canonical written source available. There, the word is spelled "lightsabre".

7. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    ...but...but...but it just LOOKS wrong!!!

Meh.

To-may-to, to-mah-to???

And, Adam, you didn't answer the question...what colour would you want?

8. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    The EU has much more interesting lightsaber colours then in the movies: gold, amber, silver, turquoise, I even seem to recall one that was two-toned...

Only having a choice between blue and green (and sometimes purple) is pretty boring.

Could you imagine a lightsaber with a BLACK blade? How cool would that be? :)

9. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    I never said you had to choose between blue and green...it was just something additional to think about...if you read my post again, you'll see that my question also included puce... :)

I also believe that EU also had orange lightsabers...

I thought black would be awesome too!

10. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
  11. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Woofer..The flaw in your argument is that we are not talking about sabres here. We're not even talking about light-sabres. We're talking about -lightsabers-. It has nothing to do with French - You can only go as far as to see how it was spelled in George's script...and there it was spelled with an "ERS"... :)

12. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Black lightsabre. Feh.

In the dark you can't even tell if its on!! You clip it on your belt and cut off your leg! "Oops. I hate when that happens!"

13. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    I don't know what kind of Jedi you are to be so clumsy with your lightsaber like that, no matter what colour... :p

14. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Umm, the script I have says sabres. The novel says sabres.

Don't forget, that A New Hope (as it is called now) is technically a British film. Filmed in British studios, with British actors, and British typists typing up copies of the script, and props made by British propmakers.

As stated, it is only the US that uses "er" endings, everywhere else on the planet they use the "re" ending.

Same with Imperial measurements. Only 2 countries still use it. The US and Liberia. Every other country uses metric officially.

Admittedly, the US is a big cultural juggernaut to ignore, but you pick your fights, and thats one of mine!

15. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    Okay...stop messing up my thread with this argument! I just wanted to know what colour you wanted!!! YARRRRRRRRGH!!!!

16. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    I would like a blue lightsabre please.

Oh, and a new leg.

17. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Well, that takes care of that flaw. I don't have the script or novel handy to verify, but if it IS "lightsabres", then you're completely right... :)

As far as my black lightsaber (Gah! now I don't know how I want to spell it...) goes, remember it's BLACK it's not dark - so it CAN be seen in the dark, because it's *blacker* then the mere lack of light.

This makes perfect sense to me...

18. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    That requires a decision, Kat. That is something I cannot do..or can I? maybe i could.

I'd go with red. Red is good b/c it is bad.

19. Jedi_Kat

Jan 6, 2002
    Not necessarily!

In EU, wasn't Jacen, or Jaina's lightsaber red??? Will have to check that...I could be lying to you...

20. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I'd choose orange or yellow...it makes a lightsaber nice and bright.

Black? Hmm....does black even emit light?
    I'm no science major in anyway but when you use a light source for any translucent item (like a jewel), the beam of light will become that color. However, a black jewel (remember that black isn't a colour either) would simply just dim the light...essentially making a lightsaber useless because no light is emitted.

For a white lightsaber you would a clear jewel I presume.

21. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Jaina's lightsaber is red...She's the main character in the book I'm reading now

Of course, in said book (Dark Journey - potential *SPOILER*), Jaina seems to be on the short track to the dark side...Though I somehow doubt it will turn out that way in the end...And it has nothing to do with the colour of her lightsaber.

22. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    as per "er" vs. "re" I am totally confused on when to use what and when. Having been in french immersion from sr. kindergarten to oac, many words in french that end in "re" are similar to their english counterparts, like, kilometre (with an accent, i never learnt how to do) vs. (english) kilometer or kilometre.

French has messed me up. Bein donc!

as per lightsaber colours or shades: Lightsabers can be whatever colour or non-colour one wants them to be. No rules people. Or maybe there are. Who am I to say?

23. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    A black bladed lightsabre couldn't exist.

It would have to be a darksabre.

24. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Oh, come on guys - This is Star Wars we're talking about...It's a fantasy! If we wanted to argue mechanics, then the Millenium Falcon couldn't exist either!

As soon as you explain to me the exact scientific principles behind the Force, I'll accept that I can't have a black lightsaber.

(And no - Midichlorians don't count. :p )

25. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Sorry, I was being a bit facetious.

Just using the definition that black is the total absence of light, a black lightsabre would be a contradiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.