main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by lil_jedi_blondie, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil_jedi_blondie

lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    I am sure this has already been discussed and I am not sure where this is supposed to go.

I have always been under the impression that lightsabers can only be acticated by a force sensitive person. Then, watching the movies again, I saw that maybe this wasn't true.

TPM: Qui-Gon suggests that he stole the saber from a jedi.

ANH: Luke activates a lightsaber before he is trained.

ESB: Han activates Luke's saber to open the taun-taun.

I always thought that they could only be activated by a jedi or sith. Am I wrong or what?

2. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Lightsabers are devices. Anyone can turn one on. If you're not a Jedi, you're just more likely to accidentally kill someone. Or yourself.

Anyway, you quoted the TESB "proof" yourself: Han and the lightsaber.

The big question is how they stop after 3 feet. How does that work?

The Picnic :eek:

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    It's all about the focusing crystals. :cool:

4. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Lightsabers are tools, like blasters. Anyone can use them, but it takes someone a cut above (Jedi) to master them and make them extensions of their own bodies.

5. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Simple enough.

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    The big question is how they stop after 3 feet. How does that work?

The lightsaber's jewels focus the power cell's enemy charge into a tight parallel beam that emerges from the blade emitter as a vibrant blade of pure energy. The blade is a closed energy loop. Its amplitude determines when the energy beam arcs back to the negatively charged high-energy flux aperture that rings the outer edge of the lightsaber's concave disk. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

7. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Great explanation Ken!

8. Obi-Wan022000

Obi-Wan022000 Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2003
    Anyway you look at it, lightsabers are just plain cool. I want one!!

9. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Lightsaber discussion from Clerks

"Whats the deal with lightsabers, they only go yay high, how do they know when to stop?"

"Uhhhh, the force?"

"That's your answer for everything!"

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Star Wars physics, gotta love it.

11. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    For some strange reason I know Ken was gonna say that.

12. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    There's an activation switch on the lightsaber. Qui-Gon Jinn (like lots of Jedi) has a red botton on his.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There are lightsabers in the EU (sorry but I can't think of an example right now) that require the force to use. The activation switch is actually inside the lightaber and the force is required to turn it on and off.

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Darth-Lando: Wow, there are? That seems kind of stupid though - what if there's a ysalamari (sp.?) around or you are severely wounded or you are too emotional and you can't use the Force - then you wouldn't even have your lightsaber to help you out. :(

Aunecah

15. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Lightsaber discussion from Clerks

"Whats the deal with lightsabers, they only go yay high, how do they know when to stop?"

"Uhhhh, the force?"

"That's your answer for everything!"

Rats! You beat me to it! :)

16. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    EU Point: Lord Hethrir's lightsaber in The Crystal Star needs Force ability with telekinesis to connect the starting circuit. He uses it like a test of Force sensitive people ;)

The challenge of using a lightsaber comes from the lack of weight in the blade. It's light and light has no mass. As such the only weight in the waepon is it's hilt and it would have a shocking balance in the users hand.....possibly why Dooku has a curved hilt?Through practice and guidance through the Force, a Jedi or a Sith can master the weapon in battle.

I also think that because using a lightsaber takes so much focus on the users part, they can't expand their mind to use other Force tricks during a duel. If they could, surely they'd be throwing things around and using that super speed thing all the time? Even Vader pauses to throw things at Luke in ESB and Maul breaks combat to throw the box at the door release panel in TPM.

What I'm getting at is that I think dueling with a lightsaber is a difficult Force trick in itself ;)

Edit: Except with Yoda it seems. But that muppet is always the exception to rule, isn't he? :D

17. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Lightsabers are devices. Anyone can turn one on. If you're not a Jedi, you're just more likely to accidentally kill someone. Or yourself.

Took the words from my mouth.

18. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    The unfortunate part about lightsabers is they can't work under water.

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    DA: possibly why Dooku has a curved hilt?

Of course, GL and crew just wanted Dooku to seem to be part of the "old order" and somewhat unique - hence the curved lightsaber. ;)

Well, as long as it isn't as if you have to use the Force to switch on the lightsaber, I'm a happy woman.

Dueling requires so much concentration - of what the enemy is going to do and how to block/attack it - that you can't really waste any of it on stupid Force tricks. They are likely to do more damage than good - especially if you are fighting a warrior who is close to, at your, or exceeds your level.

Aunecah

20. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    Now, now, we haven't seen Sidious duel yet and I hope we're able to. Maybe he'll take on Mace and sucker shock him to the ground after a long duel.

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    D_Lowe: Obi-Wan's works in the rain ;)

Edit: And now that I think of it, in the EU novel Splinter Of The Minds Eye, Luke's blue lightsaber works underwater. But I guess that's contradicted by Obi-Wan frying his saber in TPM. :)

22. DoctorZaius

DoctorZaius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2001
    i always thought it would be amazing to see a lightsaber work in water. i've imagined two jedi dueling at night in waste high water and when the saber went under the water it would have this cool glow. my god. it would be cool.

yes.. that post really had no point :p

speaking of obi frying his saber. i was alwasy disappointed that wasnt on the dvd cut scenes. from the pics of him emerging from the water it looks like it woulda been cool

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Obi-Wan's works in the rain"

That's the difference between water-resistant, and water-proof. ;)

"i was alwasy disappointed that wasnt on the dvd cut scenes."

I was disappointed that it was taken out of the movie, especially in light of the fact that 1) it would explain why Ben was being chased in TPM, and easily saved by Qui-gon, and 2) it would have added to the "lost saber" motif that Lucas later alludes to in the AOTC commentary. So much for Monday-morning quarterbacking (directing?) I guess there will a TPM:SE edition someday after all. :D

24. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    anyone can turn on a lightsaber, but probably only a jedi knows how to handle em correctly and use em properly.

25. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    Now that I think about it, a saber that only a force sensitive person could activate would have a major flaw.

If you were fighting another force user, what`s to stop him from switching it off again at an inopportune moment? You would have to concentrate on keeping it switched on all the time, which would hamper you quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.