main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by lil_jedi_blondie, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " If you were fighting another force user, what`s to stop him from switching it off again at an inopportune moment?"

Actually, this situation remains the same, regardless of the lightsaber.

A Force-unnecessary lightsaber can be turned on and off by anyone.

A Force-necessary lightsaber can only be turned on and off by a Force-user.

The Force-user need only find the switch, whether internal or external, and "switch" off the lightsaber. Now, if the external switch were a "dead man" switch, which required constant pressure to remain on, this situation would be a little different, since the user would have their finger on the "trigger". Of course, what's to keep the Force-user from disabling the wires to the switch, regardless of type or location....

***brain explodes***

2. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    That would make for a pretty lame lightsaber fight.

3. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Agreed. Thank goodness no Force-user ever thought of it. :D

4. moyerracers

moyerracers Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003

urgent jedi picnic asked why they stop after 3 feet.the answer is each lightsaber has a primary crystal,focusing crystal,blade length adjust,and a blade power adjust.so they can change the length and power.

5. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    I really hope we see Sidious duel.

By the way.

Read somewhere, that a lightsaber can be made in real life, however, there will be problems to stop the beam at three fett, but there are solutions.

Perhaps 10-100 years from now, we will have our first real lightsaber.

6. Ashton_Knight

Ashton_Knight Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2002
    Generally speaking, lightsabers kind of bend, if not break the laws of physics, but hey, I'd be stoked to have one.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    This was also said of breaking the sound barrier. The atomic bomb was also supposed to ignite all the oxygen in the atmosphere, as well.

Not saying lightsabers are possible, mind you. Just saying that we can dream, is all. ;)

8. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    OK how about this.

When various peeps 'drop' or have their saber 'knocked' out of their hands it goes off,

This to me, would say that the button requires constant pressure during use.

Or maybe its a safety feature that is optional as Vaders stays ignited at the end on ROTJ when he chucks it at Luke.

But then again maybe he used the Force to keep it on.

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    If you were fighting another force user, what`s to stop him from switching it off again at an inopportune moment?

ESB Super Special Edition - Bespin

((Luke's lightsaber turns off))
    Luke: "What the...?"

((Luke re-activates lightsaber))

Vader: "Ha, Ha, Ha"

((Luke's lightsaber turns off))
    Luke: "Stop THAT!!!"

Vader: "Ha, Ha, Ha"

((Luke re-activates lightsaber))
    Luke: "I mean it!"

Vader: "Man, was I that bad?"

Luke: "What do you mean?"

Vader: "Oh, I'll tell you later"

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Aside from the Lord Hethrir's lightsaber in The Crystal Star reference (nice catch DA, you got that before I could come up with the name) it would seem that anyone could activate a lightsaber...but only a jedi is skilled enough to use one on combat, without hurting themselves.

Han used Luke's lightsaber (on Hoth) with all the caution of a kid using electric hedge slippers...for the first time. He made a simple cut, then turned it off. And Qui-Gon's story of having "kill a jedi, and take it from him" was simply a quick attempt at keping up the appearance of a non-jedi (opening up more questions)

you can't really waste any of it on stupid Force tricks
    I wondered about that, because while Vader stopped to throw objects at Luke (ESB)...Darth Maul came up with that Force push on Obi-Wan, using a "Force trick" to gain the advantage? Maul might as well have kneed Obi-Wan in the groin, that was just a cheap shot!

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    MeBeJedi: Of course, what's to keep the Force-user from disabling the wires to the switch, regardless of type or location....

Actually, that assumes that said Force-user's opponent is NOT able to stop the said user from entangling the wiring systems. If we're talking about people with fairly equal skill and strength in the Force, then the opponent should be able to stop said person from doing that.

Of course, while the said user is busy trying to destroy the lightsaber from inside out, the opponent does have the choice of taking out a blaster and shooting him - and ending the match. ;)

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "If we're talking about people with fairly equal skill and strength in the Force, then the opponent should be able to stop said person from doing that."

I didn't see Yoda stopping Dooku from throwing debris. ;)

"while the said user is busy trying to destroy the lightsaber from inside out, the opponent does have the choice of taking out a blaster and shooting him - and ending the match." ;)

That, I would concur with. :D The general, if unstated, point of my post was that this technique was an unimportant issue altogether, despite its possibility. Hence, "Thank goodness no Force-user ever thought of it."

13. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Something that I've always wondered about is whether or not the wielder must keep a finger on the activation stud during a duel, because when they die or are knocked over, the lightsaber switches off.

e.g, when Darth Maul was killed, I'm sure he didn't take the time to switch off his saber, and it deactivated.

Just some musings.

14. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    As lightsabres are weapons personally constructed by the Jedi or Sith in question, it's up to them to decide what features they have.

Notice int he RotJH that Vader's sabre stays lit when he throws it at Luke. He might have used the Force to maithain the 'on' switch, or he could have had a button that 'locked' the blade in the on position. It's very likely that Maul and Qui-Gon had waepons that had 'deadman' switches or touch-sensitive panels that deactivated the blades when they let go fo the hilt.

15. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Something that I've always wondered about is whether or not the wielder must keep a finger on the activation stud during a duel, because when they die or are knocked over, the lightsaber switches off.

What that is called is a safety devise. The lightsaber automatically shuts off when the wielder loses possession of it. We've seen that many times in all five Star Wars films.

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  17. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Each Jedi constructs his Lightsaber how he wants it- Dookus is curved because it suits his fighting style. Some Jedi put in safeguards so that when pressure is released it switches off and some are even built so that only the owner can activate it. Anyone could build a lightsaber but it is dangerous and sort of requires the skill, knowledge, insight and patience of a Jedi.

18. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    Or a Sith?

Seeing as we haven't seen any Jedi use a crimson balde yet.

19. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I doubt we'll see a Jedi with a crimson blade, Lucas wouldn't mix his colors IMO.

I would like to see a white lightsaber again. :)

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

If Lucas stays true to his word, you won't see that much longer, either. ;)

21. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I love white lightsabers, I dunno what Lucas has against them.

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Assuming you are talking about Ben's in ANH, that was an fx mistake.

23. Jedi_Squall

Jedi_Squall Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2001
    To MeBeJedi, you listen.

24. DarthBellikose

DarthBellikose Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    If you watch the scene in TPM when The Jedi meet Maul for the Final Battle. After Maul drops his cloak he just holds the Saber in the middle and it activates one end at a time. You dont see his hand or fingers move. Its the same when they drop them, they switch off immediately. In the EU there's a Jedi called Corran Horn (Corellian) who has a silver blade. His lightsaber has 2 dual focus crystals so that he can change the length of the Saber with a switch on the hilt.
    I dont think the 'dead man' switch applies to all lightsabers. If you notice the speed that Maul spun and twisted his, it would have been impossible for him to keep his finger on a switch.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "If you notice the speed that Maul spun and twisted his, it would have been impossible for him to keep his finger on a switch."

Not saying you're wrong, but consider that Maul would have been able to hold the switch via the Force.

Then again, there are dead-man switches that have a "lock" mode as well. So, it really depends on how the saber was made. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.