main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, but that was a result of technological limitatio at the time. The Force Awakens had lightsabers look like the PT. I did some res and it looks like this poor design choice is coming from the Rebels producers who grew up with the OT and are feeling nostalgia for it. That's all well and good, but given the large amount of negative reaction to it, it seems to have been a mistake. George established the look for lightsabers in the PT and TFA countinu that. Rebels should have animated lightsabers the way all other mainstream Star Wars media does. It just looks so horrible. Wavering, rail-thin lightsabers are not pleasing to look at on screen.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The OT had inconsistent and even bad effects back then...the thickness varied between shot from film to film or edition to edition but no they were not(intensionally) laser pointer thin like on Rebels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    While I do prefer the thicker lightsabers, the thin lightsabers haven't been bad for me to the point where they bother me. Rebels seems pretty determined to carry out the Ralph Mcquarrie artstyle to the book, regardless of how the community will think of it.

Sandtrooper956 likes this.
  4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think it's clear that the Rebels team are trying to replicate the effects look of the OT as much as possible.

I can think of a number of times when the lightsabers went "laser pointer thin" (they're hardly that, but I'll admit they are thin). Intentional or not, this seems to be the look Rebels is going for. Whether or not you like this look seems to be a point of personal preference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MandoArtist likes this.
  5. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Excuse me, I feel the urge to re-watch the ESB duel of Luke vs Vader.

Vespasian, Darth Dnej and Vialco like this.
  6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    YouTube is your friend then Artist.

MandoArtist likes this.
  7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    With the art style the thin lightsabers work perfect, IMO. With TCW's art style probably not. But again, with Rebels, it suits it fine. They really aren't that bad, especially when ignited from a distance. It's in tribute to McQuarrie and a sort of statement that the Jedi and the Force isn't what it once was like during the prequels.

8. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Ezra's Blastersaber > Kyle Ren's lightsaber

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's not like there aren't really thin-bladed swords in real life. There are plenty, and they seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from McQuarrie's designs. So it's not really an issue for me at all.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

They are still tinner on Rebels, and not the same thing. I just finished saying its not consistent nor intensional and I've showed that. They basically rotoscoped over the sticks in the OT. TFA did not use "laser pointer thin" either, so the argument is moot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Rebels is going for the OT look, TFA went for the OT with updated visuals look. I think there is a distinct difference. There's a mix of old school and new school in TFA, while Rebels is trying to remain full on old school.

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the throwing disc's of the Inquisitor's is meant to be a kind a throwback to the Sith Lanvarok weapons of the EU. Pre Vizsla used a wrist mounted disc/saw blade throwing weapon on Maul during their duel.

13. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    The throwing disc is an unused concept of the TFU game, no? And I really don't see the link between Pre Vizsla's shuriken-launcher and the Inquisitors' spinning lightsabers.

14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The stylization is not something that makes or breaks a show or game for me, because I'm more concerned for the story. I'm a huge fan of light sabers as an idea, so any time they show up I get happy regardless of how they look.