main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

lightsabers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Even__Piell, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    this is all on lightsabers.....

1.hypothetically speaking, if you can somehow strip the photons from the blade of a lightsaber, it would be transparent. any thoughts?

2.if you could recreate a weak, miniture black hole, you can make the blade of a lightsaber curved.....maybe by using a *ahem* dovin basal. any thoughts?

3.when i posted this in the movie forums, i didnt get much of a response, so im gonna ask eu people.....

first maul's double-bladed saber. now dooku's curved hilt saber. what do you think's in store for ep 3????

2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    1. maybe. it would be pretty cool lookin
    2. it might be curved. who knows, the jedi might try it.
    3. the movie people are mean and dont like we eu people.we will welcom the question like any other one, unless its redundant(which this isnt)
    i hope it will be a normal lightsaber. just a lot of them!!!!

3. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    i just want george to include more lightsaber colors!! i'm really tired of red, blue, green. (purple will be cool, but i want more!)

4. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    if it was transparent that'd make jedi less conspiscious<sp?> invisible is just darn dangerous!

yeah but how'd you get that to work. blueprint wise where would you put it? I kinda like straightforward stick like phase.

on new funky lightsabers::I want mine to play DISCO MUSIC! :D with little flashing disco ball like plating. :D

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    A minuture black whole in a lightsaber, would suck the jedi, and everything around it into nothingness.

As it is blackholes are very small, but very powerful and very dense.

If you removed the photons, I don't think it could cut through things anymore. you would remove the blade that way.

6. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Photons are light particles. They aren't what causes the saber-blade to cut. That's one of the many reasons the 'photon torpedoes' in Star Trek don't make sense. Lightsabers work more like laser cannons, in that the core is what has the energy to do damage, and the color itself is added as a visual aid. My two cents, I'm not the authority on lightsabers.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually a photon is a "a quantum of electromagnetic radiation" as well.

As for lasers they are focused light. If you remove the light, they know longer function.

8. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Wouldn't it be cool if someone in Ep. 3 had a dual-phase lightsaber like Corran's?

I hope we get to see someone building a lightsaber, too :D

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Luke's saber is dual-phase. Anakin saber as I rember was supposed to be dual phase. (According to the visual dictionaries.)

Also maul's saber had a modulation-switch for dual phasing his saber.

10. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Thats true Val, but we never actaully saw them changing the phase during a fight...that would be pretty awesome.

Yeah, im with whoever said it...I want more colors! That yellow thing going around seems to have died...

11. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    A few extra colors would make things interesting, but I hope that it doesn't get pushed overboard. If, in Episode II, there's a "rainbow" of like 100 different colors for the last fight...It would look too cartoonish. TPM was enough of a kiddie movie.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've always wanted to see a saber with 1 30-50 ft. beam. Wouldn't be any good on a ship, but think how efficiently it would clear a crowded hall full of stormies...

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well apparently mauls was capable of long beams like that, but it become more like a stunner at that length(conjecture based on JPB, and visual dictionary).

14. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    I didn't realise Luke's or Anakin was a dual phase like corrans. I knew Anakin's could be shrunk like it did in Splinter Of THe Mind's Eye but I don't think it can go longer. I got the impression all sabers could shrink and become more concentrated. Obi-Wan's looks as if it does it during his fight with Vader abourd the death star.

I have no idea about Maul's I am yet to read any of his novels.

As for saber colours. I dont think it is going to happen but I really wish GL would put in some other colours. It shouold be just the basic colours of the rainbow -

ie: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Violet.

Instead we are going to get one Red for the Sith, lots of Blues and Greens and one Violet for Mace.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "I didn't realise Luke's or Anakin was a dual phase like corrans. I knew Anakin's could be shrunk like it did in Splinter Of THe Mind's Eye but I don't think it can go longer. I got the impression all sabers could shrink and become more concentrated. Obi-Wan's looks as if it does it during his fight with Vader abourd the death star."

Dual-phase isn't just growing, it also is shrinking. But the nob works both ways.

Not all lightsabers have the ability to grow or shrink, it is required to be built in. Have a nob on the handle for the adjustments.

Most lightsabers don't have it, as I remember obi-wan's does have the adjuster switch.

"I have no idea about Maul's I am yet to read any of his novels."

Shows the modulation nob in the visual dictionary.

16. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    The rationale I use for having blue blades associated with apprentice characters and green blades with Jedi Masters in the movies, despite all the colors you see in the EU is (this is totally non-official, 'no-prize' stuff):

The focusing crystal of the lightsaber and the outlook of the attuning Jedi determines color. Different colors result from both different crystals and the outlook of the Jedi focusing them.

In the "Old Jedi Order", the Jedi temple used one primary source for focusing crystals, limiting the variation in color. Crystals that weren't attuned to a specific Jedi - ie, training lightsabers like those that were given to padawans - turned out blue. When these same crystals were attuned to a specific Jedi that underwent temple training and was well-grounded in the 'Living Force', the blade turned out green. Sith, who preferred their own creations to anything naturally occuring, produced crystals that commonly had a reddish hue generated from their alchemy.

A lightsaber is a symbol of the Jedi. It stands to reason they might favor crystals that let individuals know how well attuned someone is to the Force, or how far they are in their training. Consider the padawan's hair braid... a symbol of a learner.

In A New Hope, the blade Obi-Wan uses could have been a spare... he had pretty much hung up the Jedi robes and probably didn't expect to use a lightsaber any time soon. So it's a generic saber, not specifically attuned to him, with a blue blade. Qui-Gon, other movie masters and later Luke go on to have green blades that they crafted for themselves.

Departing from those assumptions, I see no reason why a Jedi couldn't have a different colored blade. If they are from the traditional Jedi of the Old Republic they may have used a crystal that wasn't supplied by the Jedi temple and the color was influenced by this difference in crystal quality and their outlook. Even the lightsaber that Skywalker makes when he goes to Ben's hideout on Tatooine during the original trilogy (according to the novels) could have been taken by Ben from the original Jedi order/Jedi temple's source (hence the green blade) when he left for that desert planet. If they are from a post-Rebellion era then, let's face it, Skywalker's 'new order' knows jack about formal Jedi traditions and doesn't have a central, approved focusing crystal source. It's more likely that a Jedi would find a crystal that would produce a different color in these time periods, and this is certainly where we see most of the different lightsaber colors.

Just a theory, but it works for me. It's Georges' universe, but there's plenty of room for your own interpretations, especially when one man just trying to make movies can't account for everything in the galaxy far, far away.

As to the original questions -

Stripping photons to make the blade invisible - I don't see why a Jedi would do this... to make the blade more deadly? That's not a Jedi thing to do. It's an elegant weapon, a symbol of the Jedi and their ideals... not something you try to alter to kill or attack people easier. Making a better killing machine... sounds like the dark side to me.

Mini-singularities to curve the blade - Again, to what purpose? To make a cooler, more dangerous weapon? That's not very Jedi. Ask the Sith if they'd do it, it's probably more up their alley. However, the power required to generate a singularity just to curve a blade seems like a waste to me. The singularity would require more effort than generating the blade itself for only minor effect.

17. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    Addendum:

In RE the 'photon torpedo' of Star Trek -

Aside from being an unfortunate turn of phrase that 'sounded cool at the time', I think that the term photon refers to the fact that the energy the weapon produces is variable (hence it is more damaging to energy shields of a particular phase or modulation). Just as light appears to be both a particle and a wave, so to do 'photon torpedoes' have a variable quality and act on matter in more than one way. Again, just my interpretation.

Reading through the thread I noticed the remark about photon torpedos. I thought, in keeping with Qui-Gon's "There's always a bigger fish" comment I would put forth the notion that "There's always another explanation."

18. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    to Sinje_Gawa

"However, the power required to generate a singularity just to curve a blade seems like a waste to me. The singularity would require more effort than generating the blade itself for only minor effect."

thats why i said "maybe a *ahem* dovin basal"
    if the jedi (or sith) captured a small dovin basal and figured out how to work the thing (using maybe a modified GAM from SbS), it would make the blade curved. this would work becuse the singularity would be very small and weak, so it would only pull at the blade to make the curved shape.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yet, again, I have to comment that Photon means a "quantem of electromagnetic radiation", It's a term that covers a bunch of radiation put together as one element.

Lasers are focused electromagnetic radiation.

electronmagnetic radiation is the fancy term that covers a wide range of frequencies of light and energy.

But if you strip the photons you no longer have electromagnetic radiation. Therefore would no longer be a blade, or anything.

Now one could have a ultra-violet frequency which would seem invisible. But not only would it prove to be bad for the wielders eyes, but also bad for there skin. Nor would it have the ability to cut, but it would give there opponent a bad sun burn, and even skin cancer.

The other one infrared, would seem invisible, but would have no negative effects, nor would be able to cut. But it would have a therapeutic ability, because it would interact with the bodies natural minerals causeing a resonance which would cause a regenerative effect.(Yes Infrared Therapy is a real thing). So this would be a way to benifit your enemy rather than hurting him.

Then there is radio waves as well, they won't do much.

Then there is gamma waves, while contributing to aging in our bodies naturally, and goes through anything. It doesn't have the ability to cut. But could cause radiation burns if focused, but not instant death. would also work against the wielder as well. radiation going back at him.

X-rays not sure what that would do.

Microwaves, just as dangerous to the wielder as the enemy. Would cook them both.

Also back to the proton torpedoes, one of the main things that electromagnetic radiation, and electromagnet waves, has the ability to do is effect electronic equipment. When a nuclear blast goes off it's electromagnetic radiation can burn out the equipment within it's range. A photon torpedo can do the same thing, disrupting electronics, burning them out, as well as can cause chain reactions in elements in a ships engines, or other places, which can result in destruction. Not only that they hold a secondary element of a real blast, like a nuclear bomb(I think minus the negative radiation), which can prove damaging to ships systems and armor.

20. Gotterdammerung

Jan 7, 2002
    I'll concede the point about photons, but lasers in Star Wars aren't lasers like in the real world. In EG to Weapons & Tech, it says that the bolt causes damage whether it's visible or not, and pilots just use the light as visual aid.

21. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    The idea behind "Laser Cannons" and "Blaster Cannons" is that super charged particles are excited and passed out of the barrel in a beam of light. The light is a visual aide, it's the particles that do the real damage. Since you would need a huge amount of plasma to do this with a lightsaber, I'm willing to bet they work differently.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lasers in star wars, is a colloqialism for a plasma type weapon. Plasma can not be focused through a chrystal without damaging it.

Plasma exibits properties of a gas, but isn't a gas. so it requires a tube to be able to pass through, it can't go through a chrystal.

Another guide, the Star Wars Technical Journal, makes it certain that it's a type of light being focused through a gem, and through special fields is bent back on itself to create a coherent beam.

Infact one could use this same energy field to bend the light in any direction they wanted too(no need to try to use a singularity, which would prove to be dangerous to the wielder).

Lightsabers pick up the electromagnetic energy from the feedback loop, and can even partially recharge with it, meaning that sabers take a long time to lose energy between recharging.

23. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Energy = Light = Energy

Thats how it works. You can't take away the light - it is required. BUT, you could change it to a different frequency, where it wouldn't be visible light, but infrared? X-Ray? I don't know.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I mentioned what would happen with ivisible light waves up above.

there are variety of invisble lightwaves(all of which can be mesured in photons(quantem of electromagnetic radiation))

x-rays, gamma, radio, ultra-violet, infrared etc.

As for x-rays they aren't very dangerous as far as I know. They don't have the ability to cut.

Things like gamma just pass through skin or any other object, without burning or doing anything much.(except for weakening a cell lenght of existence, not destroying). We are bombarded by gamma everyday, no matter what you are in.

25. Gotterdammerung

Jan 7, 2002
    Then wouldn't it be advantageous to Jedi of races that can see infrared or ultraviolet light to build sabers only visible in that spectrum? Although other Jedi would be able to sense the blade, it would be a perfect weapon against non-Jedi, and the Vong, in theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.