main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabre training and the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by farraday, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Okay, forgive me anyone who's a big fan of Luke but I have one thing I want to get of my chest first.

From ANH to The Last Command Luke has had a lightsabre and has pretty much been in a state of constantly having to use it.

And in all this time it never occurs to him to stab with it?

I mean from his quote in TLC, he seems pretty impressed with the way Jade impales the training droid with the tip.

This was the guy who defeated Vader? Geez...

Anyways, onto a more general view.
    If my memory is not faulty, the best understanding of lightsabre trining we get comes from I, Jedi. Corran going through the different stances or whatever. The rest of the time it seems to me that they basically describe it along the lines of 'he felt the force flow through him and he anticipated his opponents moves.. yada yada yada'.

Are any of these guide really what we would call swordmasters? I mean take away the force and it seems like they'd be just lunging about with blade and would probably cut themselves before anyone else.
    It's really no wonder that the vong have been able to kill so many.
    Am I wrong in thinkign that a jedi should be a Jedi if he can touch the force or not? Slap a few ysalmari(sp?) around them and they're pretty much even more helpless then a normal person.

Does any of this make sense or should I not post topics when it's 3 am?

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    You are right. So very right. I wish to bring up more points from I, Jedi, in which the fact that Nejaa Halcyon usually didn't advertise his Jedi-ness, i. e. didn't use his Jedi skills when there's an alternative for that.

If we'd put your average Jedi, in Ysalamiri bubble, against a character from Highlander, provding equal weapons of course, what would be the result? Of course, there are differences, like the fact that you don't need strength to even lift your blade when you're using lightsaber, and such...

Ara
    (Didn't get it... beware a bitchy person in need of SbS...)

3. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I could just be a matter of what "fighting style" he learned. He may have learned a style where stabbing wasn't taught. Earthly Samurai didn't do much stabbing in their sword fighting training. Of course the Samurai sword is designed as a cutting or slashing sword. not a stabbing sword. A lightsaber can do both fairly well... at least I would think.

4. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Quite.

I mean a lightsabre will go through most things like a hot knife through a goose.

Has anyone been compeltely without a life enough to search through the books and movies and make sure the fighting styles are even similar?

5. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Just a thought...
    Maul kills Qiu Gonn with a stabbing strike.
    Obi kills Maul with a nice big slash. Perhaps the Jedi favor slashing techniques, seeing as in a serious fight one must step back in order to deploy a stab.

Jedi use the force for defense, remember, so a parry is almost always their first move. It is hard to go from blocking with an edge to stabbing with the tip, and risky as well, seeing as you only have one blade, and should it be knocked aside that leaves you very open for attack.

Also, Anakin Solo, at the very least, is extraordinarily adept w/out the force. He has a great training sequence in Rebirth where he uses nothing but his skill, agility and adrenaline...

6. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I've gotta wonder who trains Anakin in his sabre wielding prowess, because from what I've seen it isn't Luke.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the way they generally describe killing a vong stabbign them through the armpit?

7. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Obi stabs a BD near the TF Droid Control ship bridge.

8. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    i tend to think that Anakin Solo's fighting techniques were influenced by Luke and Corran and all them, but he's largely self-taught. he seems like the type that would go out behind the temples on Yavin and start slicing up practice droids just to see what new moves he can come up with.

9. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    My oppinion is that Jedi favor more defense-focused techniques (blocking and parrying). While attack-focused techniques (Stabbing, slashing) is seen as something of last resort. I think in the 1st of the Jedi Apprentice young readers novels there's something that highlights my assumption in the first chapter...a duel scene between a young Obi-wan and another Jedi student.

Also the Jedi don't have a standard sword-fighting technique, even in the old Republic times there were Jedi that held their blade in the opposite way than we see Qui-gonn and Obi-wan hold theirs (Adi Gallia holds hers that way). Also there's some Jedi that have two lightsabres which requres a different technique (Master Giett in the comic series Jedi Council: Acts of War)

Clearly the Jedi aren't codified into a single lightsabre style even when they were at their height.

10. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Yeah, I suppose a lot of this lightsaber business is "learn the basics and then you're on your own." What I'd really like to see is Kyle Katarn (who, I state on the basis of having gotten into more lightsaber fights with serious opponents than any other Jedi except maybe Luke) packing a double-bladed saber in the NJO - maybe rig his blue Outcast saber and his gold Mysteries of the Sith saber so they can be joined at the hilt. There's a massacre I'd pay to see!

11. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    I was thinking about what people said about the Jedi Technique. Not only would the basic moves be defensive most of the Attacks they did know would be to remove limbs or weapons. Not actual killing blows. Some killing blows would be taught but I bet it's the disarming moves that are worked on the most. Of course when your talking lightsabers disarming is actual dis-ARM-ing. ;)

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You could probably look at it a different way as the sadistic Jedi prefer to main their enemies then go for the clean kill.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Luke's style in ESB and RoTJ and those mentioned in I, Jedi remind me a lot of the style used for two handed swords. In fact, in the movies I can see the six cuts and six milounettes in use.and in I, Jedi, I can definately find the six cuts and allusions to at least a couple of the milounettes.

It seems of late (that is post TPM) that the question of lightsaber dueling comes up a lot. And often we're told how Luke isn't that good because he's not using the same style. Again, often this is said based on what we get from TPM. Well, we see three folks in the original trilogy using a different form from TPM. That was the way things were done then. Now a different form is in use. Considering there are numerous forms of sword combat styles, we can't say which of those used in the movies is right.

14. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    All forms or styles of martial arts are right. It all comes down to what works best for the person. What fits with their physical abilities or their mind set. Who knows..... maybe Luke would have just wiped the floor with Maul. You never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.