main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

lightwave and max?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by TheSithLord89, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSithLord89

TheSithLord89 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2004
    ok, i have to ask this just out of curiosity.I dont know how to model in lightwave just because i never got the chance to try it.Im always busy with modeling in max.I want to start learning how to model in lightwave but just before i do.I want to ask everyone here who uses both these programs to tell me.Which programs is easier and gives better modelling results?what im asking is, does lightwave have more tools for modelling and such,does it have a better modelling syster or does max have more tools and better modelling system.Just curious.

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    LightWave has the better modeler. For all the Maxers that will no doubt tell me I'm wrong, it's accepted throughout the industry that LW has one of the best built-in modelers out of all of them.

However, I doubt you'll find many users who use both.. the programs are almost completely incompatible, and simply do not work in the same pipeline together.

3. TheSithLord89

Jun 4, 2004
    o i see, the thing is about lightwave,is that when i want to render something it take so slow.I dont know if there is any other renderers u can by for it but i hate the rendering system so much.It takes a lifetime just to render one of the models that i downloaded from this site.But when i download the same model only in a max version,its alot faster.I dont know if i have some settings wrong on my renderer or not.But its slow as dirt.But when its done i do love the results i get.

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Probably the settings, then.. LW's renderer is usually pretty fast, one of the faster renderers out there, and I think it's the fastest "native" renderer (meaning the renderer that accompanies the program, not external renderers like VRay or Renderman). However, if you bump up the settings, like raytracing everything or using Radiosity, yeah, it'll slow down quite a bit. Plus there's various things you can do to speed up the renders if you know your way around the program (mostly to do with lighting).

5. TheSithLord89

Jun 4, 2004
    o ok,yea i was just reading some stuff about lightwave.Like it being the fastest renderer in the industry and stuff, and i was just like gosh where have i been.LOL.Its just me i guess,i need to get a big flippin book about lightwae and start teaching myself because i dont want to just stick with 3ds max the whole time to model and such.

6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    If you want unbiased points-of-view you should read professional reviews online or in trade publications. And they'll usually just tell you if it's good or bad. Not compare one to the other. Every program out this is fully capable of modelling whatever you want. Just read some reviews, pick somethings, anything... and start looking at it yourself. There is something in the FAQ about this type of question I think. So read that too. Generally we try to avoid threads like this b/c they are pointless. It's like asking... which is better Coke or Pepsi. I'm surprised and happy that other people didn't get dragged into this thead and start a big debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.