main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Like Father, Like Son

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Torn, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torn

Torn Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2003
    In ROTJ, upon Lukes entry into Jabba's place, he encounters two guards. Luke appears to use the Force Choke on them, one makes a choking noise and the other reaches for his throat.

Thoughts?

I am still learning this awesome site, please forgive me if this has been covered.

2. Eastwood

Eastwood Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2003
    Intersting, I have seen that scene a thousand times and never really picked up on that. But as you come to mention it, there was a bit of choke action going on.

Either that or luke was trying to get the gaurd to say "go on through young man, third door on the left", not realising the gaurd had just been munching on a KFC, thus causing him to choke.....??

No, I prefer your idea. I always thought it was a bit suss the way Luke was dressed all in black. Maybe he was playing for both teams, thus "bringing balance to the force"?

3. Kingpin

Kingpin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2002
    I noticed this from the first time I saw it but I never brought it up before, I just figured Luke choked them enough for them to collapse because they were so big and strong. Oh and I think he wore black because he thought he would look better in it.

4. FutureEmperor

FutureEmperor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 1998
    Notice too that Luke's tunic appears different on the Death Star, the flap is opened revealing the 'light side.' Though I'd say we don't quite get the sense GL meant to convey, Luke is supposedly hovering on the border to converting to the Dark Side. It is his confrontation with his father that causes the final internal victory of the Light Side of the Force.

And yes, Luke does use the Force Choke, though much more mild.

5. Kingpin

Kingpin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2002
    That's what I thought/meant to say: 'mild' force choke. Oh, and, that lightside flap thing? VERY VERY deep.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Interesting that you mention that, because I always thought Leia was more like her father during her time with Jabba. She got to do some choking as well and was much more malicious about it than Luke was, remember? ;)

It's neat symbolism that both Skywalker children copy Vader's signature move.

7. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    This has been covered before, but I believe it was in refernce to something else and the force choke was brought up.

Anyway ...

I've always thought (despite what the novel says) that Luke didn't actually choke the Gammorians, but he made them think they were choking. It's a fine line distinction I know, but that's what I liked about it. It was like he was hovering so close to using a force choke (which is decidedly evil and dark sided) but instead only makes them think they're choking. So he didn't use the darkside ... but dammit he did come close.

Dark Lady Mara - awesome idea about Leia choking Jabba ... I never thought about that before!

DarthMandarb

8. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    The symbolism of Luke using the Force choke could have something to do with the Force's unity. Luke here is shown as an agent of the Light Side using tactics of the Dark Side; he becomes somewhat of a Grey Jedi. In reference to the balance of the Force, this could be a statement that the two sides are extreme, and Luke was meant to unite them; the strict Order rules versus the chaotic sense of the Sith. The EU delves into this in the Jedi Academy books.

9. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I had noticed Luke using the mild choke a long time ago, too.

Partly, I think it's a reflection on how similar he is to his father...how he's possibly following a little too closely in his father's footsteps. A sort of forshadowing of how close to the edge he will be by the end of the movie. (BTW, I like the connection drawn btwn Leia and Vader)

I also think it shows how he may be different from Jedi of the past. Remember, it's not like he got the full training. He got just enough to control his abilities and have basic understanding of the Force. Perhaps that in part gave him an advantage to defeat the Sith where hundreds of fully trained Jedi had failed before. The Jedi equivilant of having unlearned what they had learned before.

10. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Posted by Dark Lady Mara:
    She got to do some choking as well and was much more malicious about it than Luke was, remember?
    It's neat symbolism that both Skywalker children copy Vader's signature move.

Also, Leia was hot and sexxy when she choked Jabba, Luke wasn't, he was just a badass mofo. I love Leia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.