main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Like father like son....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Genesis, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Genesis

Darth-Genesis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    Who taught Luke the force choke?

2. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Does it really need to be taught? You figure most of a Jedi's training is on how to communicate with, employ, and integrate the force into their life. From there, it's their choice on how to extrapolate the philosophy and application of it. Hence why we have Jedi and why we have Sith. :) Luke choking the guards was Lucas' way of showing how close to the dark side Farmboy was.

Really can't be that hard, if you think about it. Just focus on halting the intake of their bronchial tubes and then apply the force on it. Kinda comes down a to a fairly simple (and brutally effective) means of telekinesis.

3. TheFoolWhoFollowsHim

TheFoolWhoFollowsHim Jedi Youngling star 4

May 4, 2003
    Maybe it's because those pig guards' hands were too big to reach around their throats, or maybe it's because they had no necks, but I never thought they were being Force choked. I always thought Luke had given them heart attacks and they were clutching their chests. Even Luke's gesture isn't the "Force choke gesture" that Vader employed. Anyway, that's the way I always viewed that scene. Force heart attack seems cooler than Force choke anyway.

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It was never stated in the movies that the force choke was a dark side power. Vader knows both light side and dark side force powers since Vader was once a Jedi. The force choke could have been a light side move that Vader learned when he was Anakin or it could be both a Jedi and Sith power.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No, it was never stated in the movies that force choke is a Dark Side power, yet there is plenty of EU material to state that it is. Any force power used to enforce harm on others is a Dark Side power.

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    But that's the crux of the issue, eh? What's the fine line between harm and justification? These guards aren't innocents - they're keeping him from entering and saving his friends. And he only choked them long to make them pass out or back away, if I remember correctly. But at the same time, one would argue, Luke didn't give any other options, just immediately attacked.

Like anything else, use of the Force is a grey issue. It's users have to decide every time they tap into whether or not they feel the reason they're using it is justified and have to be willing to face the consequences of such afterwards.

7. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    All it takes is the ability to manipulate an object, in this case a windpipe. You just have to give it a little squeeze with the Force.

8. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    Who taught Luke force choke. From what I heard Obi-Wan. It does make sense because it looks like Obi-Wan used force choke on the death star

9. TheFoolWhoFollowsHim

TheFoolWhoFollowsHim Jedi Youngling star 4

May 4, 2003
    Who taught Luke force choke. From what I heard Obi-Wan. It does make sense because it looks like Obi-Wan used force choke on the death star

Who'd you hear this from? The little gnome that lives under your bed?

And when did Obi-Wan use a Force choke on the Death Star?

10. outrider462004

Oct 31, 2004
    A friend told me years ago. Obi could have used force choke when the men were bringing the scanner abord the Falcoon. You don't hear any lasser's shot until the Stormtroopers get on the ship after.

11. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    I never thought it was a force-choke. I always thought it was something more gentle like force-acid reflux.

12. outrider462004

Oct 31, 2004
  13. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Yes, The Falcon scene was definitely the Force..the Force from Chewie's fists :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.