main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Like Scattered Seeds: Part I: Melona's Story~~HM/OC ~~Updated 7/05/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Handmaiden Yané, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Title: Like Scattered Seeds: Part I: Melona?s Story
    Author: Handmaiden Yané
    Rating: PG, I suppose
    Time Period: Post-Ep. III
    Spoilers: Minor spoilers concerning AOTC, some Ep. III speculation
    Disclaimer: The Star Wars universe and everything in it belongs to George Lucas and Lucasfilm, Ltd. No money is being made from this story and no infringement is intended.
    Author?s Note: As I read more books and fanfics, I?ve probably picked up a couple of things from them that are jumbled around in my head. More often than not, they spill out into my fanfics. I apologize if I had taken some of your characters and/or ideas and if I have done so, please PM me and I will give you credit or if you wish, take out what?s rightfully yours.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ancient Naboo legend tells of a farmer who was given three seeds by a beautiful woman who inhabited a crystal palace near what is now Gungan territory. It was during the Time of Great Suffering, and the farmer had deserted from the Naboo army. Wandering for days, he happened by chance upon the Crystal Palace. Taking pity on the poor man, the lovely woman opened her fair gates and let the man in.
    Upon hearing the man?s account of the affairs of Naboo, she was distressed to hear what had happened to her beloved planet.

?I have shut myself off for far too long! While I rest in this place, my people are killing each other!?

At last, she reached her decision. It would risk her life, but she was willing to take it.
    She gave the farmer three seeds?the three seeds of peace.

?Scatter them to the winds, and they will take root and blossom. Soon, peace will come about again. But?even if one tiny seed does not do so, the peace will not last. And if all three do not bear fruit, I shall die.?

The farmer was distressed to hear of this, but she commanded him to do as she told him. And so he did.

The first seed landed in lush earth, and sprouted. The second, burrowed too deep into the ground and did not bear fruit. It burrowed deep into the ground, trying to internally root out the evil. But the third?the third did indeed sprout, but it bred malcontent, not peace,

And so the good lady died, and her crystal palace withered away. The Time of Great Suffering ended?but to the cost of the Lady of The Crystal Palace.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My mother was a handmaiden. Others may boast that their mother was queen, governor, princess, or senator. But I boast that my mother was a handmaiden. In her brief service, she served Senator Amidala, who is still respected, even long after the Clone Wars. During her term as Queen, the Trade Federation had invaded Naboo. But the Queen, her five handmaidens, and a ragtag group of security officers valiantly drove them off with the help the Jedi , who are now all but extinct. The Empire has seen to that.

My mother knew great grief in her life. Her first love was taken from her by an unknown evil force. Her second love, my father, whom she married, had been killed by spice miners on one of Naboo?s moons. She almost did not recover from that. She gave birth to us (myself, my brother, and my sister) only a month after my father?s death. A year and three months later, she was killed during an assassination attempt on Senator Amidala.

How do I know all these things about the mother I barely knew? Mere memories?of a loving and kind maternal woman?But Aunt Dormé and Grandmother Vilana have not let me forget. I am the only one of my siblings who actually listen to their stories about Versé Vilana Cabaré Jakeen.

Around this time of year, I always seem to hate my sister more, to find every single little error as hateful as turning in a Jedi to the Empire. Because, around this time of year, is the season our mother died. Aunt Dormé has told us countless times the tale of our mother?s death?the entire story including the bounty hunters hired by the despicable Trade Federation, the corruption o

2. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    POOR POOR POOR BITTER MELONA!!!! WHY SISTER SO WIERD??? WHY FATHER AND MOTHER MUST DIE??? WHY PALPY MUST BE MEAN???? WHY, WHY????

I'll shut up now...

3. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_blush] Double post. :p Look below.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_laugh] LOL, bobill! Who knows why? People are just weird sometimes!

5. Anyanka

Anyanka Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Oh, yay! :D You started this!

Anyway, you know I love it, Yané. This is such a fabulous intro to the story that I can't wait to read more of it.

LOL! I think you gave poor bobill a heart attack! :eek:

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hurray, Handmaiden Yane has started a new story.

:::pulls up big comfy chair and gets bowl of popcorn:::

Well, I've already told you how I felt about this over at Rainbow's End, but I'll say it again that this is a fantastic start.

:::plops down in chair and waits for more:::

:D

7. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Anyanka-- :eek: Goodness! You think so?!!

Knight-Ander-- ::steals some of his popcorn:: [face_devil] :D :p

Well...see, I was kinda hoping that I would get a beta-reader for this, but I don't have one right now. I really don't like the chapter I have right now, so I haven't posted it yet. :(

8. Anyanka

Nov 8, 2002
  9. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Gets UP to get fresh popcorn. :D

10. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    So, where's this new post I've heard about?

11. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    It's a comin'!!! :) Anyanka just has to beta it and then I'll be a-postin'! :p

12. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    YAY!!! *sits down with microwave popcorn, grinning greedily*...

13. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Love the legend. Very... legendy ;)

**sits down with a bowl of M&Ms since she doesn't like popcorn** :D

14. Anyanka

Nov 8, 2002
    Mmm M&Ms and popcorn! *sits down with both* ;)

15. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    And here 'tis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I scowled down at my Naboo Princess doll. Her eye had popped off again! Shaking my head, I picked up the black bead in one grubby hand, and the doll in the other.

?Princess Versé! You of all dolls should understand that a princess needs her eyes! I mean, come on! How can you blink prettily if you?ve only got one eye!? I said to my doll. ?You know what this means?another visit to Auntie! Oh come on, Sé, Auntie?s not that bad! I mean, I know she makes us eat our vejatabbles which isn?t so nice. But she?s still our Auntie MéMé. Yeah, me too, Sé, I could do without the vejatabbles.?

I entered the cool townhouse easily enough. I could hear Telon and Selona playing ball with their friends in the street. I hadn?t joined them. I couldn?t see the point of running around chasing balls. It was just plain silly to me. I kicked my shoes off and padded softly down the hallway in my stocking feet. I heard voices coming from Uncle and Auntie?s bedroom and smiled in satisfaction.

?Don?t you worry, Sé, you?ll have your eye back. No, I don?t think she?ll make you eat vejatabbles. That?s only at suppa.?

I was about to open the door when I heard?

?Do you really think it?s that bad? Bad enough to move?? Auntie said, her voice sounding worried. I furrowed my eyebrows. I didn?t like it when Auntie was worried. When she was worried, she usually gave us extra helpings of vejatabbles. And this moving business didn?t sound so hot either.

I placed my ear on the cool metal of the door and heard Uncle?s rumbly voice next.

?Dormé! Palpatine has made Theed Palace a vacation retreat! And that Or?Zee woman is bad news. She?ll be starting up Palaptine?s Youth before you know it. And you know how susceptible Selona is to the Imperial lies.?

Auntie sighed. ?I know. Just the other day when we were in the toy store she asked for an Imperial Moff doll instead of a Naboo Princess one. What place are you thinking of moving to??

?Lasalon. I know some people there.?

Lasalon! Where was that?! I gulped. This wasn?t good, wasn?t good at all. For all I knew, it could be the land of vejatabbles!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Two months later?

Peeking my head out from underneath my sleeping pallet, I checked to see if my sister was still awake. All I heard was deep, rhythmic breathing. I smiled. Edging out carefully from my pallet, I winced as my frizzy, long, red-gold braid got on the zipper. Panicking, I jerked my head and nearly cried out from the pain. I bit my lip as I looked at Selona, to see if she had woken. Standing up and nearly falling down in the process, I ran to the fire-escape ladder. The familiar feel of the cold metal made me ache. It was the last time I would probably ever feel it. For today, we?d be moving to Lasalon, the Southern Continent of Naboo. We?d be leaving Theed forever.

Big, fat tears started to fall down my face. I?d thought I had stuffed those tears away lat night. By the time I reached the rooftop, I was sobbing again. I sat down and leaned against the air conditioner. Closing my eyes, I thought, ?I?m leaving Mama. How will Mama find me again? Mama?s angel can?t know. We?re leaving too early. How will Mama?s angel tell Mama?? Grandma Vilana had once told me that my Mama loved me so much she had a personal angel to come and keep watch over me and my brother and sister.

The light played on my eyelids, and I knew the fog would be leaving soon. Opening my eyes, they widened further to reveal the sunrise that had become so familiar. The fog turned golden for only slight moment, then gave way to the gold rays of the sun. Wiping furiously at my tears, I knew Mama?s angel would tell Mama. Mama would know. She?d find me in Lasalon all right. I daydreamed more about the cruelty of it all. Auntie Dormé and Uncle Garrick would probably move us to a farm. A farm! We?d have to pick plombs all day, and the only pets we could afford would be nunas. We?

16. Anyanka

Nov 8, 2002
    Ooh, great job, Yané! Like I said, the edits you made are really good, and I already told you how much I liked the rest. :p

Just as I got to the part where Selona had fainted from hunger and I, her beloved sister, was sacrificing the only bread I had gotten that day to give to my dear sistah Sellie, I heard?

Hee, this is still my favourite part! Can we expect more soon? :D

17. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    ;) You can. I've already started work on the second post.

18. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Just as I got to the part where Selona had fainted from hunger and I, her beloved sister, was sacrificing the only bread I had gotten that day to give to my dear sistah Sellie, I heard?

Ack! I've just noticed that I'm not the only one that thinks that was their favorite part. :)

Quite an imagination and sense of humor Melona has there in the face of such unsettling change.

Yay! More from Yane. :D

19. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Ooooh! Plombs! Yum..... :)

I was just plain tickled pink with surprise at seeing my little invention used in someone else's story. **hugs** Thanks, Yané :)

All this talk of food has made me hungry for vejjatables ;)

Nice start, Yané-lady. :)

20. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Oh, how cute! hehe, I didn?t like it when Auntie was worried. When she was worried, she usually gave us extra helpings of vejatabbles.

[face_laugh] And all the talk about dolls... Grand moff doll, eh? I'd buy one just so I could stick needles in it!

21. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    :D :D :D

You guys have no idea how excited your feedback makes me feel! It always brightens my whole day up! :) Thanks so much!
    I'm so glad y'all like Melona and her imagination. I'm trying to pattern her after Anne of Green Gables, to a certain extent.

Sache8- :p I'm glad you're pleased! I just had to use plombs! I'm glad that it gave me a chance to give you a plug! :)

Yané

22. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
  23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It took us four days to reach Shi?ara, Lasalon by speeder. Selona kept asking why we couldn?t have taken a starship. (I just kept asking if we were there yet) Every time she did, Auntie would look over at Uncle, who looked at her, and then they would look away and shake their heads. This mystified me. Looking at the clouds above me, I came to the conclusion that adults must have some secret language that they didn?t need to speak aloud. I trembled with excitement. I couldn?t wait to be an adult!

On the last day before we arrived at Shi?ara, Auntie spied a fruit-stand at the edge of the road. I cowered in the backseat. Plombs! This was too much! Auntie was taunting me! Uncle Garrick stopped, and Auntie climbed out. She returned with five, juicy plombs. My stupid siblings devoured them. I, on the other hand, wouldn?t go near them. After looking at me strangely, Selona offered to have mine. I ?graciously? gave it to her.

?You can have it. You can also have my bread when you?re starving,? I said nobly.

Auntie and Uncle burst out laughing. Really, it was all too much. Were they mocking me?

?That?s?that?s very nice of you, Mellie,? Auntie said, wiping away her tears, ?But I?m sure that?s unnecessary.?

Telon shook his head and said simply, ?Girls.?

I thought about this. Was it possible that Auntie wouldn?t starve us? Or make us pick plombs? Just as Selona was about to bite into my plomb, I snatched it away.

?Never mind, Sel, I want it,? I said as explanation.

We took off driving again. Eventually, I got bored thinking of what life would be like in Shi?ara.

?Auntie, tell us a story!? I pleaded.

?Yeah! A good one!? Telon added.

?Her stories are always good, Telon!? Selona retorted.

?Nuh-uh! Not the ones with stupid princesses!? Telon defended.

?They aren?t stupid! They?re brave!? I cried.

?Nuh-uh!?

?Uh-huh!?

?Children! Stop it!? Auntie scolded. ?I?ll tell you a story!?

~~~Naboo Legend~~

It is common knowledge that for most of Naboo history, the Gungans and the Naboo did not get along very well. However, there were exceptions, just like there are exceptions to almost everything else. One of these exceptions was Opton. Opton was the nearest Nubian civilization to the Gungan swamps. Opton was fairly prosperous, and often had dealings with their Gungan neighbors. There came a time, however, when Opton reached hard times. One day, out of the mists, came a Gungan, creaking a small wagon behind him. It contained one basket of fish, and small rolls, hardly enough to fill the bellies of the whole of Opton. The mothers sent their children forward, determined that at least their children would not go hungry. When the children had eaten their fill, the baskets still seemed nowhere near to being empty. The Gungan gestured for the others to come forward. They did, and soon the whole village had been fed. The Gungan promised to return the next day, and the next, until Opton was ready to fend for themselves. He fulfilled this promise, and by the end of the summer season, Opton had not gone hungry, and they knew that they would never be so again.

Telon was the first to say something. ?Can we move to Opton??

?No, we cannot,? Auntie said.

?Why not?? I asked.

?Because,? Auntie said, communicating with my uncle in that secret language, ?Opton isn?t a good town anymore.?

?Did the Gungan go away?? Selona asked.

?Yes,? Auntie said, ?He did.?

?Why?? Telon wondered.

?The Imperials have made it an outpost,? Uncle Garrick said grimly.

I shook my head. Why was that a bad thing?

We arrived at a fork in the road. To one side, verdant valleys and streams trickled merrily. My eyes lit up as I imagined running through both valley and stream. To the other side?farmland. Acres and acres of?plOmbs and vejatabbles. I yearned with all my little body to go left?left?left?But to my utter dismay, the speeder went right!! And, to make matters worse, a faint roaring sounded in the distant.

?A-auntie?? I whimpered.

24. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Excellent post, Yane!! I loved it, plombs and all. :p

I think I've mentioned before that I like Mellie's fertile imagination. What will she dream while under that tree?

Can't wait for more. :D

25. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Let me be the firs to say

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

hehe, I love how cutsy you made little Melona! And the story, so cool! We just talked about that story in youth group last week I think...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.