main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Like Scattered Seeds: Part I: Melona's Story~~HM/OC ~~Updated 7/05/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Handmaiden Yané, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm.... Why is Hesté suddenly so down, and what's the truth behind Tira's family's past?

Those are intriguing questions this latest post of yours has created, Yané. Can't wait for the answers.

Well done. :)

2. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Dude! I can't see your post HM Yané!! Here I am looking at Knight Ander's reply thinking... "What IS he talking about?" :confused: I'm gonna have to come on later k? :(

lol, only me! :p

-~Dormé~-

3. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Here I am looking at Knight Ander's reply thinking... "What IS he talking about?"

That happens alot to me in Real Life, too. :p

4. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wow one can miss so many posts...

post one: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHH!!!!! My gosh little kids are sooooooo funny when it comes to babies! Her whole doctor with the poison needle dream, that is sooo typical! I remember when I was that age I would tie all my toys together and whenever i heard a sound like a fire, I would grabe the string and try to jump from the window... it was wierd...

It was my turn to be puzzled. ?You have to pray for an gnat? Why?? /i]

hahahaha!!! poor Dorme!

Second post: awwww, nice to know a kid can comfort an adult like that! Poor Heste, I hope it wasn't the Imps that killed her sis...

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Knight-Ander, is "foreshadowing" what you're talking about? Glad you found it funné, and are also asking questions! Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. :p

Danni!!!!! YAY!! YOU REPLYETH!! :D :D I'm so glad you liked this, and think it's well written! And thanks for letting me know about the feedback thingie.

Saché, of course I'm eager for you to read my posts! And I'm glad you like babies...you'll be reading about them a lot... [face_mischief]

Anyanka,
    thanks! And we shall see how the triplets react to...ahem...no, can't say it. [face_devil]

Mé, all I can do is [face_blush]. You are too kind! I have this dance scene which will take place in a meadow with bonfires and all!. Kewl, eh? ;) [face_mischief] [face_devil]

Emma, honé, I'm just glad you're posting that wonderful feedback of yours!

LMAO!!! OH MY DEAR LORD THAT MADE ME LAUGH SOOOO HARD!!

LOL! You made me laugh so hard when you said that! [face_laugh]

Though I do hope nothing goes wrong with the pregnancy...

Well, actually, I am planning someting to go wrong...but never fear, there will be a baby and Dormé will live.

Birthdés...ahh, birthdés...I have something very special planned for that! :D

bobill, glad you're back!

Poor Heste, I hope it wasn't the Imps that killed her sis...

Funny you should mention that, because there is a clue in the Jamillia flashback.

Oh, I'm so eeeveel. [face_devil] All the black!

~~Sillé Yané~~

6. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    That was moving, Yané. Will Melona ever find out why Hesté's sister died?

May the Force be with you in school coming up. :)

7. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Knight-Ander, lol. Glad to know, I'm not the only one.... [face_plain] :p

First off, HM Yané, Sorry I'm late... I'm just very... how do you say? AH! Lazé. :p And such a wonderful post as always. Exceptionally thrilling and myseterious! You captured the perfect amount of suspense and darkness! What is possibly going on with poor Hesté?? :( Mesa feel sadsa. And could Wynlé be dead? SO SADDDD!!!! :_|

Hmm... I dunno about this so called "Tira" girl. I mean, pssft. She didn't even know Mel's LAST NAME. [face_plain] tsk tsk... plus her pony tail bobs. A typical sign of trouble... [face_shocked] I agree with Selona, there IS something weird about her... Then again, her father is DEAD! Murdered! Yikes... This is becoming creepy m'dear Né! :p Where's dear Ron Weasley to hold me?? [face_plain]

Alright, darn it! I'm getting all sad and sappy! Gimme an upbeat post!! :p One with Balls and boys! And pretté dresses!!!!!! :_| Oh what a world!!!

TRANSLATION: More please. Thank you. Muchos Gracias. Arigato. Merci. [face_plain]

-~Dormé~-

*ps* Can't wait for the next posties Né! It'll be on fire! HAR HAR. :p ERr... If ya know what I mean! *wink wink* ;) :p

8. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    More please?? :( Uppp.

-~Dormé~-

9. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Sache8, I'm glad you find it that way!

Will Melona ever find out why Hesté's sister died?

[face_mischief] You can, all by yourself...

MéMé, yay for thine feedback! 'Twas vonderful and goot. :p Don't worré about dreary posts! There's a vonderful goot one coming up! And as for more...here 'tis! Just as thou hath requesteth!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next three days of school were very odd. I tried to avoid Tira, even though I doubted Selona?s words. I was a bit?freaked. Hesté seemed much better, but I kept thinking on the mysterious Wynlé. What job had she sacrificed her red streaks for? When the weekend finally came, I found a pleasant diversion in Farisé. My mother and Alanté, who seemed to double as Farisé?s nanny or something, had arranged Farisé to spend the day with us.

I expected a whole world of dolls from Farisé. She was a princess, right? And so I figured that she would have the greatest selection of dolls and clothes and stuff. However, Farisé came with only an odd-looking black case. As she got out, her chauffeur took it out of the trunk and handed it to her. He saluted smartly to her, and Farisé smiled and waved prettily back at him.

I ran to her. ?Hullo! Whatcha got there??

Farisé?s eyes twinkled. ?A lute.?

?A loot? What?s that? Did you steal something or?something?? I asked in confusion.

Farisé giggled. ?No, it?s an instrument. I wanted to show it to you.?

My face lit up. ?You can make music with instruments, right??

She nodded and I beamed. ?Oh boy! Come on, I gotta show you The Tree!?

I called out to Auntie where we were going as we ran to the edge of the forest. Everything was just the way I remembered it. The great green awning of the trees, and the gnarled earthy roots softly touched on by light. I sat down on a root bench and Farisé sat down next to me. She laid the case flat between us and opened the latches carefully. She pulled out a wooden instrument that looked like an elongated squash, only flatter. She the big, bloated part in her lap, and the ?neck? in her one hand. With her other hand, she carefully plucked the strings running from the neck to the bloated part.

?This is a song my sister Rinoa sings,? Farisé explained as she began to play. ?She?s the only non musical one in our family so she sings this just to annoy us.

Oh the gnats are big
    And we like to dig
    Dig dig dig
    Into the ground
    For the worms and the grubs
    Because the ducks
    They go rub a dub dub!
    This song
    It don?t make sense
    It?s only purpose
    Is to show
    Oh, show off our loverly
    Loverly voices!
    ?

Next she sang a familiar Naboo round and I was able to sing along.

?You sing well, Mel,? Farisé commented. ?Do you want to learn how to play??

?Sure! That would be swell!? I grinned.

?All right?take the lute, you hold it like so??

Scientists say that you remember something most by your sense of smell. The day I began to learn a lute was filled with the smell of the salty sea, crushed flowers, earthen roots, and sunbaked trees. Every time I pluck a lute string, or hear a lute being played, I remember that smell: the comforting smell of the Shi?ara forest.

Now, that wasn't too gloomy, was it? :p

10. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Oooh, Yané, that was so beautiful! In many ways. I'm thrilled to see the use of a musical instrument, as you could probably guess from the references to both the clavaria and the valadrett in Stars. lol

I loved the song! It's so... Tolkienish, including a song in your story :)

And the last paragraph was absolutely stunning. :D

Darn that skim-reading, anyway. Now I have to go back and figure out why I don't know how Hesté's sister died. :p

11. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Nicely done post, Yané. :)

12. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    AWwww, that was beautiful! The whole forest essence, with the scientist and lute playing, so pure and pretty! And the song, loved it, sounds just like something a kid would sing!

13. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Sache8, I almost used the clavaria...but then I forgot what it was... :p So I went with the lute. :) Tolkienish...?? :eek: That is *such* a huge compliment!!! Thank you!! :D :D

Knight-Ander, thank you!

bobill, glad you liked it! Pure and pretty, eh? Thanks!!

Here, at last, ladies and gentleman, is the post you've all been waiting for!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I had mixed feelings about Auntie having a baby. Don?t get me wrong, I was overjoyed at the thought of having another brother or sister and I knew it would make Auntie very happy too. But there were the?rumors that the other kids spread. When I went to school, the rumors began. The Academy of Shi?ara was a grand old building, three stories high and very big. It was made of a sandy yellow-ish brick and periodically covered in green ivy plants. Uncle would drive up the stately driveway and drop me off just before the courtyard?s entrance. The courtyard was bordered with huge banyan trees and tall plants. In the middle was playground equipment tables and benches. Killani Viviatchie sidled up to me before school started when we were all still out in the courtyard.

?I hear your Aunt?s having a baby,? she commented without great event.

?Yeah,? I said, ?She is.?

She shook her head dolefully. ?Boy, do I feel sorry for you!?

I frowned. ?Why???

?Well,? she started as she gave me a look that made it clear she thought I was an idiot, ?She?s having a baby.?

I rolled my eyes. ?Tell me something I don?t know.?

Killani shrugged. ?All right, if you really want to know?? she paused then, considering.

?Yes?? I prompted.

?My mother just had a baby, and she?s all but kicked me out of the house the way she spends all her time with that baby! It?s only because of Father that I?m not starving. He remembers me. Sometimes, that is.?

Just then, the bell rang, and not a moment too soon. I entered the hall with a feeling of great foreboding. Throughout the day I was plagued by thoughts of Auntie totally forgetting me?even forgetting to give me my portion of vejatabbles. But I argued with myself. She wouldn?t do that! She loved me! ?Right? I gulped.

You can probably guess what my mind went through my mind because of Killani. I became suspicious, doubtful, and scared. All my daydreams quite put out the fact that my birthday was only a month away. Auntie shut herself up in her room, sewing. Sewing baby clothes, I knew.
    It was soon approaching the Fall Solstice, and there was to be a great dance in the Shi?ara Meadows, where huge bonfires would be lit. There would be dances for the youngest of kids, and the oldest of adults, and everybody in between too. But because of my worry, I wasn?t as excited as I would have been.

But all changed when I saw the white dress.

Auntie emerged two days before the Bonfire Dance, which was two days before I turned nine as well. She carried two white dresses, and a silken dark blue suit. I had been spying on the closed door, glaring at it and imagining all sorts of doom and gloom. Auntie?s face lit up with a smile when she saw me.

?Melona! Come in here. Wait while I call your brother and sister,? she commanded me. Meekly, and guiltily, I went. As she went around the corner, I craned my neck to catch one last glance of the special clothes.

Auntie?s sewing room was a place I had always loved. I had been supremely happy when it was the first thing Auntie had set up when we moved here. The walls were a calm pale yellow, and the curtains were of a breezy white chiffon. Various sewing posters and snippets were pinned to the walls. Two sewing dummies stood in a corner, somberly facing each other. Auntie had the most elite sewing machine on a sleek wooden table facing a window. Various plump cushions and chairs, as well as rugs, graced the floor. I sat now in a bean bag Auntie had made, looking at all the dress designs. One caught my eye. It wa

14. Anyanka

Anyanka Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Yay! :D I've already told you how much I love this post, Yané! You did such a wonderful job with the descriptions and the atmosphere and the dialogue... it was well worth the wait!

15. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Yep, another excellent post, Yané.

Melona's worries about a new baby in the house are not only well expressed, but very genuine for any child.

?Wait?I?m named after a girl?!?

[face_laugh]

Poor Telon, what a shot to his ego. :p

16. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It was in this very meadow that after the gods and goddesses created Naboo, they danced. And as they danced, step by step, they rose into the sky. Up above this meadow the stars shine brighter and the sky is clearer. Sometimes you can see a goddess?s scarf lying amongst the stars.?

Oooh! That was beautifully written, Yannie! :) I'm glad that Melona isn't worried about being abandoned by her aunt. We all know Dormé is too kind a lady to do that to her niece. ;)

And that song from one of the previous posts was so cute! :D I'm just loving these kids (well, the nice ones, at least).

This is wonderful, Yané! :)

17. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    How sweet! hehe Telon's named after a girl, poor guy! I love how you made Garrick so uptight, I could so imagine Dorme kicking his butt!

18. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    The beginning part reminded me of Lady and the Tramp, when Tramp tries to tell her that a baby will ruin her life. ;)

Good legend. :)

19. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Anyanka, thanks! I'm so glad you like it! :D

Knight-Ander, I'm very happy that I'm writing Melona as a believable eight year old! And hee, :p glad you liked that bit about Telon!

Dannie, you posted! YAY!! :D "beautifully written"...ooh, I liked that! :D ;) Danke! That is, thank you!

bobill, I am so pleased to know that you think my characterization is right on. ;) Thanks!

Sache8, hee, I love that movie! And thanks!

And here ladies and gent, is a new post!!

The next day, the streets and canals of Shi?ara were silent and utterly devoid of all human life, except for the occasional homeless person. Shops were closed, and there was to be no school for the day. The birds were still chirping and warbling, and the sound was sharper due to the absence of human activity. For, on this day, everyone slept. Those who managed to go home slept in their own beds, but others just didn?t bother and slept in the meadows. We were some who slept out in the open, under the stars, and then under a cloudless day.

I was having a wonderful dream about women dancing in stars, when I was poked much the same way I was poked in The Tree. I managed to pry open my eyes to stare into the face of a very much awake Errian.

?What in the galaxy can you want, Errian?? I mumbled.

He grinned. ?I went over to our tree.?

I got up one elbow and looked up at him in surprise. ?You went all the way over there??

?Yup. And you have to come look at this. I don?t think you?ve been there in awhile.?

It was true, I hadn?t been out there since Farisé had taught me the lute. Well, maybe once or twice. Errian pulled me up and dragged me some five steps before I ran on my own. As we ran towards the tree, I blinked as I realized the emerald scenery I was used to was gone?and replaced by brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows. But all this paled in comparison when I saw the tree. The tree?s blossoms had fallen, littering the twisted roots with pale yellow flowers. And the tree itself was a towering pillar of flame, waving in the morning air.

?Oh, Errian! It?s wonderful!? I cried as I hugged him.

Errian laughingly hugged me back. ?I think so too.?

As I gazed at the tree, Errian shuffled his feet, kicking some flowers in the air.

?What do you??? Errian began to say, but his question was cut short.

In the distance, two figures, one small and one large, but slumped, appeared in the distance. They came closer but they didn?t appear to notice us. The small one I realized with a shock was Tira! The slumped one seemed to be her mother. Tira gently laid her mother down against a tree.
    ?You shouldn?t need to do this, Mother!? Tira said, her voice filled with pain.

?I?have to,? Tira?s mother gasped out.

?You?re so tired all the time! They should at least not give you the glitterstim! Mother!? Tira leaned close to the woman and hugged her.

Errian and I had, by this time, hid behind a bush and observed from there. We were glad we did for, the next thing we knew a ghostly figure, pasty-skinned and cadaverous, stood by the girl and her mother.

?Tiracina, leave your mother. I will take care of her from here,? said the being, it?s voice entirely devoid of any emotion, entirely belying what he said.

Tira twisted her head around and fixed the ghost man with a fierce glare. ?Take care of her! Take care of her! Fix her with some drinks, let her sleep, and then in the morning, fix her with some glitterstim and send her around! To the palace! To city hall! So she can find information for you! So you can use her! I know what you?re doing! You?re killing my mother!? Tira began to cry. ?I won?t let you! I won?t let you!?

The ghost man laughed slowly, taking all the joy out of the fall day. ?You? But you?re just a girl.?

?My teacher taught me well! I can take you!? She jumped up and simultaneously punched and ki

20. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Wow, that was some great stuff, Yane. Substance abuse is a RL issue I haven't seen touched on much in fanfic.

Hmmn... women dancing in the stars, eh? Would they include Leiandra, perchance? ;)

21. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Wow! Very eerie and a bit scary, Yane. Who does the ghost man work for and why is he using Tira's mother to spy for him?

Excellent post.

22. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Wow, scary post, Yannie! I wonder what the deal is with Tira's mother... the whole "gathering information" thing... grr, stupid dead-looking guy! :p It was cool to see the kids kick his butt. ;) Great post, Yané! :D

23. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    I agree w/ Sache, the whole substance abuse is really close to home. The whole thing w/ Tira's mom saying that if she dies, it's all Tira's fault, wow that is deep! Tira's pretty strong to refuse her mother of the drug for so long!

24. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
  25. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll get to your reader replies and to posting a new post as soon as Anyanka betas it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.