main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Like Starfighters ???? A beta reader invite

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by AwingPhil, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwingPhil

AwingPhil Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2007
    Dear All,
    After finally discovering theforce.net and meeting members on your stand at Star Wars Celebration Europe in London earlier this year, I'm hoping to begin the process of submitting a small novel of fanfiction to the website. Though it has been proof read by a close friend and fellow Star Wars fan, I would be extremely grateful if some beta readers would volunteer to check it though and possibly provide some alternative suggestions and comments, as well as advice on the submissions process.

"The Arkanis Sector Conflict" is the product of ten years on/off (mostly off!) writing which developed from some short stories that I wrote back in college. The events depicted fall into the Post-Return of the Jedi time period and more specifically take place after "The truce at Bakura" by Kathy Tyres and run alongside the Star Wars X-wing "Rogue Leader" Dark Horse Comics series by Haden Blackman. The story is mainly based around Alliance starfighter pilots and so falls into the Squadron and X-wing (Rogue Squadron) genres, while I believe it would carry a PG-13 rating.

The main characters are author's originals, but a whole host of background Star Wars characters are involved, including;

Dash Rendar,
    Lieutenant Judder Page,
    Lieutenant Derek "Hobbie" Kilivian,
    Captain Hanc Thorben (Marvel comics),
    Commander Keyan Farlander (X-wing PC game),
    Captain Lennox and Lieutenant Cabbel of the Imperial Star Destroyer Tyrant,
    And finally Luke Skywalker does make a brief cameo.

As far as continuity is concerned, I've tried my absolute best over the years to make it blaster proof, but with the seemingly ever changing nature of starfighter squadron pilot rosters in Wookiepedia, this is nigh on impossible.

The novel is over 73,000 words, which works out as a little over 170 pages of A5 paper, and I'm quite worried about any beta readers spending too much time sitting in front of a computer straining their eyes proof reading. So I will gladly print and post a copy via snail mail to any willing volunteers, or deliver over a pint in central London perhaps.

I have emailed the beta reader list but haven't had any responces yet, and so if I've managed to make "The Arkanis Sector Conflict" sound interesting, please email me at philatthepub@hotmail.com and I'll see about getting a copy to you.

With thanks for any assistance or advice you can offer.
    Yours sincerely,

Phil Casey
    Surrey, England, UK.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Welcome to the boards. Unfortunately this is the wrong place for you to ask about FanFic-related matters. The best place for you to go would be here on the Fan Fic Resource Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.