Beyond "Like The Deserts Miss The Rain" (DN AU, dark K/J) -- Chapter 18 up 1/21/13!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 10, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Anakin's got quite the watch-dog thing going on with his sister. He wants to protect her, as brothers should, but knows that if he interferes, she'll pound him.

And now I have the joy of writing The Adventures of Reiniger And Anakin! And don't worry, I have absolutely no plans to kill Anakin. I mean, he's in the sequel and everything!
  2. skyag Jedi Grand Master

Just found this story now that the boards are back... I love it!! I'm not normally a big K/J fan, but I love them together in this. Is there any way I can have the PM'd chapter?
  3. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The chapters are cut off, I'd imagine you've had trouble reading? Or are you a previous reader?

I'll send that to you right now. I would have yesterday, but about, oh, half an hour after your post? I was in a pretty bad car accident.
  4. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    --Chapter Eighteen--

Anakin gave his sister a hug before boarding the Shadow Chaser. He looked at Rache. "I'm only going to say this once, mostly because she'll hit me. But if you hurt Jaina, I'm going to beat you to death with a shovel."

Kyp snorted a laugh. He hadn't laughed as much in his existence as he had since these two had come into his life, not since . . . well, since they'd left it the first time.

"You have my word I'll protect her."

Jaina poked him in the side, then did the same to her brother. "I can take care of myself, thanks. Now get going, we're on a deadline."

"Yeah, yeah." Anakin gave them both a long look, then bounded up the boarding ramp.

As the ship left the hangar, Jaina sighed. "Sometimes, I still see him as a kid. But he's not."

Rache wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "My apprentice won't harm him, if that's what you're worried about."

Jaina looked up at him with amusement and disbelief. "Seriously? That's what you think I'm worried about? Anakin would kick Reiniger's butt from here to Tatooine."

"You think so? And what makes you so sure?"

"Well, we've both trained with the best Jedi swordsmen out there, and you'd have to be stupid to not see how powerful Anakin is."

He made a noncommittal noise and guided her back towards the main part of the ship. He was very aware of how powerful all of the Solos were. He was also aware that he'd planned to turn Jaina, make her his Sith queen, but somehow, he'd neglected to make any moves towards doing it.

He was slipping, obviously, distracted by everything else going on. He'd rectify that eventually. For now, it was enough that she was there.

---------

They arrived on Coruscant two days later. Admittedly, Rache had dawdled. He had no choice but to bring the Eradicator into Imperial space, even to orbit around Coruscant, because they'd sent the Shadow Chaser with Anakin and Reiniger. He'd considered coming in two of his stealth fighters, but had decided against it. If he was going to answer the Empress's summons, he was going to do it in a way that reminded her, and her cronies, exactly who she was messing with.

Back at the apartment in Imperial City, Jaina eyed the dress choices.

"Are you sure we have to go to this?" she asked.

"Unfortunately, very." He put his hands on her hips and leaned over her shoulder. "I prefer the red, obviously, but you wore that last time. Perhaps the blue velvet?"

She shivered at his breath on her ear. "I have no one to help me into that one."

He chuckled. "You have me, or did you forget?"

"There's no way in all nine Corellian hells that I could forget you've seen me naked." She turned in his arms, slid her hands up his chest. "I don't like the idea of you meeting her alone."

"I have little fondness for it, myself," he sighed. "In fact, my skin crawls at the thought. But I need to get what I can out of her, and I doubt she'll be very forthcoming with you around."

Jaina wrinkled her nose. "And I doubt we can tie her up and get her to talk."

"Hardly. Charming as the idea is."

He gave her a quick kiss, one that jolted Jaina clear to her toes, and stepped back. Picking up his leather gloves, he said, "Hurry and dress. We're going to be fashionably late as it is, but I don't want to miss a chance to speak with Pellaeon before I have to see Jade."

Jaina nodded. She eyed the dresses that she'd been considering, and decided Kyp was right. The blue was the best option. It was a deep, midnight blue, strapless, with a bodice that laced up in back. The skirt had a train covered with tiny silver stars of crystal and silver embroidery. A shooting star decorated the neckline in front. Jaina paired it with dangling starburst earrings of clear Corusca gems, and piled her hair up in an elaborate coif with more little stars. Just because she normally opted to wear plain Jedi robes didn't mean she wasn't her mother's daughter and didn't know how to dress up.

Kyp helped her lace up the dress. He took entirely too long doing it, pausing to press a kiss to her shoulderblade, or the nape of her neck, after each tug of the cords.

"Are you trying to make me jump you so you don't have to meet with the Empress?" she asked huskily.

He pulled her slim but curved body against his and gave a low laugh. "Busted."

"Just remember, the only person you're dancing with tonight is me."

"As long as the same goes for you."

----------

The ballroom was just the same as last time, save for the attire of the attendees. Jaina snatched a glass off the tray of a passing server droid and sipped at the pale blue champagne.

"Nervous?"

"No, I just hate balls. I'm really dreading when my best friend gets married in a few months. She's Queen Mother of Hapes and it's going to go on for four kriffing days."

He smirked. "Intending to take me as your plus-one?"

Jaina inhaled a mouthful of champagne. As she choked and spluttered, he patted her on the back and laughed.

They wandered over to the buffet. Jaina couldn't identify most of what was on display, and stuck with those things that she could name. It wasn't much, and that left her a little grumpy.

More irritating was when her companion leaned over and said, "Stay here for a bit. I see Pellaeon and want to corner him."

"Sure, I'll just be decorative by the buffet," she snarled.

Kyp snickered and slid his gloved fingers down her bare arm before moving off.

She finished her champagne, traded it for a new glass, and scowled into the bubbly liquid. She hated these things, and she especially hated being alone at them. It would have been fun to have Anakin here, he'd have plenty of snarky comments to make about it.

Then again, she didn't want to have to shoo Anakin away when she got Kyp alone later.

"General Solo."

She jumped, nearly spilling her champagne, and turned to the black-uniformed man who'd managed to sneak up on her. He was tall, dignified, and completely stiff from his white-streaked black hair to his extra-shiny boots.

"Colonel Fel," she replied with dismay. "How . . . nice to see you."

"You're even worse at lying than the last time I had occasion to speak with you," he said. His icy green eyes--why did everyone have green eyes around here?--swept over her. "You look lovely. I trust Lord Rache is treating you well."

Appetite suddenly gone, she put both drink and plate on a nearby table and folded her arms under her breasts. "Not that it's any of your business, but yes."

"When we first met, I didn't think you the type for this," he said quietly.

"Define 'this'."

"The mistress of a Sith Lord."

Jaina barely managed not to glare at him. "What I am to Rache, or he to me, is none of your concern. And if you're harassing me because you're still upset over your . . . shock . . . I would really suggest you take your misplaced anger elsewhere. I wasn't responsible for that, and you don't want to be here when the guy who was comes back."

The narrow face, with the scar through his eyebrow, twisted in an expression of contempt. "And to think I was once interested in you. I thought you were a woman of honour, but you're nothing but a kept wh-"

"Go away," Jaina bit out, cutting him off.

A gloved hand came down on Fel's shoulder. Even though Rache was a few centimetres shorter than the Imperial pilot, Fel still froze when he realised who was standing behind him.

"Take the lady's suggestion," Rache purred, "before you find yourself in deeper than you can safely swim, boy."

Fel was good at hiding emotion, but nothing could disguise the raw fear he felt in Rache's presence. He turned on one sharply-dressed heel and stalked off through the crowd.

"Are you alright?" Kyp asked.

"Fine," Jaina snapped, then sighed. "Sorry. Something about him makes me want to Force-shove him into a wall. Or maybe a tree. I think I'm too worked up to stay."

"Dance with me once, then you can go back to the apartment." He held out his hand.

Knowing there was no point in resisting, she placed her hand in his and let him lead her out to the dance floor. The music playing didn't require her to pick up her train in order to dance. Jaina wasn't in the mood to deal with her dress on top of everything else.

Kyp drew her into his arms. She forced him to maintain a little distance, with a hand on his chest.

"Not too close," she warned in a low voice. "Jade has eyes everywhere."

"Thank you for reminding me," he replied in kind. "We wouldn't want her to see too much into this, after all."

She hated that simple truth, because all she wanted to do was melt into him and pretend no one else existed.

Maybe Fel was right, after all. She didn't know anymore.

----------

Rache saw Jaina off in a taxi speeder, with his cape around her shoulders. He'd nearly killed that Imperial whelp tonight; the only thing that had kept him from doing it was learning from Pellaeon that the Fels had Jade's ear. He didn't want to tip his hand too soon and do something petty just to assuage his own pride. He hadn't lasted this long by being stupid.

Except when it came to Jaina, he was more and more often finding himself the fool.

Guards dressed in Imperial red ushered Rache into Empress Jade's private quarters at the palace. She'd done little to redecorate since his last visit. It was still surprisingly bare and bleak, with grey walls, floors, and furnishings.

Empress Mara Jade had once been the Emperor's Hand. She'd essentially been raised with one mission in life: to be the Emperor's personal assassin. Shortly before his death, he'd ordered her to kill Luke Skywalker. Rache wasn't entirely certain what had happened; all he knew was that she'd failed, and for a time she'd been a smuggler with Talon Karrde. She'd also briefly studied to be a Jedi. He remembered that much, since the two of them had had a nasty encounter on Yavin IV when he'd left the Jedi Academy and turned himself over to Exar Kun.

At some point, in the years since Luke Skywalker's death, Jade had rejoined the Empire she'd temporarily abandoned, and had risen quickly and ruthlessly through its ranks. She'd been Empress for close to twenty years, and ruled with a sly and vicious temper.

The woman who lounged at a table in her private quarters wasn't the public image she put forth. Dressed simply in a sleeveless shirt and leggings, with a blaster on her hip, Mara Jade had her booted feet up on the table, a datapad balanced against her knees. Her red hair, sprinkled with white-blonde strands, was tailed rather loosely behind her shoulders.

"You're late," she said, without looking up. "I expected you two days ago."

He tamped down his irritation. It took effort to modulate his voice into a lazy, somewhat sardonic drawl. "Ran into some pirates. Since you asked me to look into it, and all, I took care of the problem."

Eyes a lighter green than his finally flicked his way, for just a moment, before she went back to her report. "And will there be any more attacks on my outposts?"

"There shouldn't be."

She tossed the datapad on the table and swung her legs down, standing in one smooth motion. "And how do things stand with the Jedi?"

He let one corner of his mouth curl up. "As they always do. Why do you ask?"

"You're bedding one of them. I'm naturally going to be curious."

A raven brow lifted. "The Solo girl? If she's the best they have, they're doomed. She's a better plaything than a fighter."

Jade's fingers danced down the front of his shirt. "Probably best that you're keeping her distracted, though I'll admit I'm a bit jealous. I don't like other women touching my things."

He caught her hand, grip firm but not bruising. "I'm not yours, Jade. I'm toying with the Jedi because it amuses me and keeps them out of your hair. But I'm not your tool."

Jade tugged on her arm, but his grasp was unrelenting. She pouted for a moment, then grinned. "You had me worried, with that silence for so long. You've been busy, though, haven't you? She certainly is pretty."

"Pretty, and diverting, but little else." Rache let go of Jade's wrist and turned to the food and drink on the table. Pouring a little dark red wine into a goblet, he took a sip.

Jade propped a hip against the table's edge and eyed him. "My informant says that the scientists might be close to getting Centerpoint up and running. Which is fortunate. I'm getting impatient, and since you won't give me the Suncrusher . . ."

He laughed, genuinely amused. "Give you my greatest weapon? Hardly. I'm not a stupid man, Jade."

"No," she agreed. "That you're not. Still, your reluctance makes things difficult for me. I want the Jedi dealt with."

"What's the hurry?"

He sank into one of the chairs and took another sip of the wine. He didn't want to consume too much, and cloud his judgement. Even before Jaina, dealing with Jade had been precarious at the best of times.

The Empress narrowed green eyes at him, staring in silence for a stretch long enough that he began to wonder if she knew of his deal with Jaina. Then she smiled, shook her head, and plucked the goblet from his hands.

"I've missed you, perverse as that is," she said. "No one is quite as . . . entertaining."

Jade drained the rest of the wine, set the goblet on the table, and slid into his lap. "Entertain me, Lord Rache."

A shudder of revulsion crawled up his spine, but he masked it well. After all, he'd had years of practise.

"Certainly, Your Imperial Majesty."

She ran a fingernail down the side of his neck, drawing blood. "I told you to call me Mara."

Force help him. It was going to be a long night.
    bellum stellarum likes this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
  6. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
  7. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
  8. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
  9. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    @skyag

Okay, I think that's all of you tagged for this update. Geez. I think this is my longest reader list ever!
  10. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    Accident?!?! Obviously you’re okay, otherwise you wouldn’t be posting. But is everyone else okay?

"I'm only going to say this once, mostly because she'll hit me. But if you hurt Jaina, I'm going to beat you to death with a shovel."

[face_laugh] Oh I love him.

you'd have to be stupid to not see how powerful Anakin is."

:) Oh yes.

"I prefer the red, obviously, but you wore that last time. Perhaps the blue velvet?"

I could see red looking better on her than blue.

He took entirely too long doing it, pausing to press a kiss to her shoulderblade, or the nape of her neck, after each tug of the cords.

"Are you trying to make me jump you so you don't have to meet with the Empress?" she asked huskily.

Haha. Yes :p

"No, I just hate balls. I'm really dreading when my best friend gets married in a few months. She's Queen Mother of Hapes and it's going to go on for four kriffing days."

Uugghhhh royal weddings.

"Colonel Fel," she replied with dismay. "How . . . nice to see you."

:D
    I’m sorry. I know this is a Jaina/Dark Kyp fic but….it’s Jag.

"The mistress of a Sith Lord."

I’d wince, but….she is…

Even though Rache was a few centimetres shorter than the Imperial pilot, Fel still froze when he realised who was standing behind him.

Having the Force is certainly intimidating enough.

"Not too close," she warned in a low voice. "Jade has eyes everywhere."

Mm, yes she would.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t think they’re fooling anyone…

At some point, in the years since Luke Skywalker's death, Jade had rejoined the Empire she'd temporarily abandoned, and had risen quickly and ruthlessly through its ranks. She'd been Empress for close to twenty years, and ruled with a sly and vicious temper.

That makes me sad. Aww…Luke. This is REAL AU, huh?
    (And if this was mentioned before, I apologize. I don’t think so because of this paragraph, but my memory is very bad).

Jade's fingers danced down the front of his shirt. "Probably best that you're keeping her distracted, though I'll admit I'm a bit jealous. I don't like other women touching my things."

*wrinkles nose* Ew.
    Not about their ages since Kyp and Jaina are far in age, but ew. It’s just…it’s Mara. And Kyp.

*shudders at the end*
  11. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah, I'm fine. Had bruising and whiplash for a while (probably still have the whiplash, but my insurance doesn't seem to cover chiropractics. I was hurt worse than my mom, who was driving. The guy in the truck we slammed into had lacerations on the back of his head from the back window getting blown out, but he was okay, too. No one was seriously injured.

Yes, this story is very AU. Basically, everything went wonky when Exar Kun managed to kill Luke: he kidnapped Jacen, the Falcon was blown up at Carida or wherever it was Han tracked Kyp down, Leia lost her legs during the NJO time 'cause Jacen wasn't there to save her. Anakin obviously didn't die at Myrkyr. Luke wasn't there to help Mara through everything, so she went back to the dark.

That was supposed to make you feel icky. :p Good to know I succeeded.
    Last edited by Dantana Skywalker, Jan 22, 2013
  12. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4

Dude. Holy cow. That is scary. THE WINDOW BLEW OUT??? That. Is crazy.
    TOTALLY icky. Like shuddery icky. Blech.
  13. bellum stellarum Jedi Master

Oh, a new chapter - great. :)

Kyp starting to realize that he may have gotten more than he bargained for?

And what's with the "No more consorting with the Empress" rule? Surely Jaina was aware what probably will happen when Kyp and Jade meet alone ...
  14. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, our Jeep hit his truck going about 40mph. Some idiot jogger ran into the street, everyone braked, ours failed.

Interesting you should bring that up . . .
  15. Sethathoryunet Force Ghost

star 1
    Ooooh, ewww, you're not going to....you aren't writing that...EWWWWW! Too AU for me. :p Although I suppose the worst of it would not be allowed on here thank goodness! [face_blush]

Glad you and your mum are OK and you're writing again on this story. I've seen on your profile that you write fiction off your own bat. What sort of fiction? And is it likely to be available in Australia? I'm curious. I do like your writing style. =D=
  16. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's skipped over. There's no PM section for that. Ugh!

My book is available in print and in ebook formats, both from Amazon. I think it's available in Australia, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Link to the ebook is in my signature. I don't generally point that out, because I try to keep a fairly low profile on the connection between "real" me and "fanfic" me, but if you're interested in reading it, that's where you can find it. :)
  17. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    Oohh that's awesome!
    I don't blame you for wanting to keep a low profile.
  18. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks. :) It's not that I want to hide, per se, it's more that I've had certain users here on the boards harass me off the boards, and I'm reluctant to draw their attention again, especially in a way that could impact my professional career.
    Sethathoryunet likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade