main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Like The Deserts Miss The Rain" (DN AU, dark K/J) -- Updated 14 Jan 2016!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I couldn't stop laughing through this. I loved her thoughts as Kyp was talking to Pellaeon. Great! [face_laugh]

FL @};-

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    We'll see soon. :)

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.

Mwaaaahahaha! What, you expect me to feel guilt over this? I'm EVIL! :p

Before she can redeem him, she needs to see a reason to try, other than Anakin's "You should try".

I was so happy to see someone mention the meat grinder. :D

Yes, you did call that one. ;)

Meat grinder! Ha ha ha! I don't really know where that one came from, but I love it. :p

Thanks. :)

Rache refuses to do anything I tell him to!!!! He wasn't supposed to be this comlpicated, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as how it's Kyp. He was supposed to stay frighteningly evil for at least four more chapters. :mad: He's not supposed to be falling for her this soon, dangit!

You're still confusing the frell out of me with your story, but hey, an update! *runs off to check*

*runs back to finish replies* Woops, probably better do this first.

Thanks. :D

Chapter 11 sometime today. And I don't mean bankruptcy. :p

Dana

3. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Great updates DAna! I adore how Jaina doesn't trust Kyp and isn't afraid to show it with the devider in the middle of the bed *giggle*

And the dress... hmmm... interesting. Like other before me, I believe you spent just the right amount of time on the ball scene... but Kyp and Mara?! :eek: That I hadn't thought of - Kyp obviously knows there are people to fear beyond other Sith *chuckle* and got entangled with the wrong woman lol!

Little Jedi Hehehehe... I love it.

Great job!

4. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *is torn between laughing and pondering*

I, too, am confused. At this point, I'm not really sure whether to hope Jaina slices off key points of Rache, or falls in love with him instead.

¡Ay! Dana, can't you just make him good OR bad??? As in one being all-exclusive of the other??

(Great banter, btw)

I shall patiently await more! *grins*

~*~Austyn

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks. :D You know, I'm really surprised that people reacted so strongly, considering that I hinted at the Kyp/Mara thing back in chapter three.

I think he's the most complicated character I've ever written because he's simultaneously the
    romantic male lead and the villain. Well, one of them. It gets confusing because right when I think that he's going to get romantic, he does something psycho, and when I think eh's gonna react with psychosis, he gets all . . . mushy with Jaina.

Dana

6. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    loved the chapter! and my my Jaina has a violent imagination not to mention how low she's willing to go [face_not_talking]

"And a really shoddy dresser!"

7. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I think he's the most complicated character I've ever written because he's simultaneously the romantic male lead and the villain. Well, one of them. It gets confusing because right when I think that he's going to get romantic, he does something psycho, and when I think eh's gonna react with psychosis, he gets all . . . mushy with Jaina. I think your character is running away from you then! He's taking on a life of his own! I'm seriously enjoying this story, it's like a simmering fire, I'm wondering when the flames are going to burst forth!

I usually read mostly H/L stuff, but your title intrigued me, I love that song!

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, I think she has some license for a little Kyp-bashing, don't you think? After everything he's done?

Thank you. :) He certainly does have a mind of his own. I find that's usually the case with Kyp, though, when I write him. I long ago gave up trying to force him to say or do anything he didn't want to. Now I just concentrate on making him scale back a little. ;)

I love the song, too. It took me forever to find out who recorded it, everyone thought it was Annie Lennox.

Dana

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Much thanks to my newly-acquired beta, MiaTieska. :)

--Chapter Eleven--

The second time Jaina woke, it was still dark, but not because it was night. Sometime before dawn, someone had closed the blinds against the sunlight. She sat up and looked at the bedside chrono. It was well after 0900. She was usually up before this, since the day at the academy began so much earlier.

Wrapped in the top sheet, Jaina sat on the edge of the bed for a while, feeling groggy and hung over. Rache had been right, she'd definitely had enough last night, probably too much. She hadn't been paying attention at the ball to the amount of liquor she'd consumed.

The door opened and a face appeared, belonging to a young woman about Jaina's own age, with long dark hair and brown eyes. She appeared startled. "Oh! Milady, you're awake."

Milady? Jaina blinked at the woman as she bustled in.

"Lord Rache said not to disturb you, so I was just checking to see if you were awake yet. I didn't order you anything for breakfast, but I can do that now."

Jaina rubbed her face with her hand. This was somewhat surreal. "Where is . . . Lord Rache?"

"He left some time ago. That is to say, he hired me from the staff late last night, and had me tend to you while he went out, and he came back early this morning, and then he left again. I don't know where he is at present, but the young- younger man . . ." The girl trailed off, not sure how to refer to Reiniger. Her chatter apparently covered her fear of Reiniger; odd that she didn't have any of Rache, who Jaina viewed as the more frightening of the two. Of course, Reiniger didn't bother to put a veneer on what he was, and Rache did.

"It's all right, uh . . ."

"Ailana, milady." The young woman bobbed her head. "Ailana Goman."

"Just ignore the . . . younger man, Ailana. What exactly did Ky- er, Rache say that your job was?"

Ailana nodded, back on familiar territory. "I'm to act as your personal servant, milady. If you need anything, I'm to get it for you, and I'm to help you-"

Jaina held up a hand and the servant stopped. "Okay, first of all, please, call me Jaina, not 'milady'. I'm not much for titles, and . . . I don't think I have one, anyway. Secondly, I really don't need a servant."

Ailana looked crestfallen, until Jaina continued.

"I do, however, need someone to help me in and out of these blasted costumes Rache insists I wear. I'm assuming it was you who, uh, helped me last night?" The other woman nodded, and Jaina was relieved that it wasn't Rache. She'd already figured as much, but still. "And I need a friend. I'm kind of . . . alone out here. Are you suppsoed to come with when we leave Coruscant?"

Another nod.

"Perfect. Now, you won't be of use to me if you're terrified of the men, so-"

"Oh, I'm not scared of Lord Rache, mil- Jaina. He's nice."

Jaina stared at her, mouth agape. It took her a moment to collect herself before she was able to say, "He's a Sith Lord, Ailana. You know what one of those is?"

The colour drained out of Ailana's face. "Yes," she whispered.

Jaina felt badly for scaring her, but there really hadn't been a way to avoid it. She stood up, making sure she was adequately covered. "We need to make sure you have a blaster, a personal one you can hide in a pocket or something. Reiniger, the younger man, should leave you alone, but if he doesn't, tell me. Rache will leave you alone, it's just me he's interested in, and I don't think he's given to harming women. Steer clear of Reiniger and you should be fine."

Ailana nodded, slower this time. The bright aura around her was dimmer now, and she looked more solemn. "Are . . . you a Sith, too?"

Jaina snorted. "No, Ailana, I'm a Jedi Knight. Now . . . do you know what the mynock who hired you's done with my clothes?"

----------

The morning improved considerably after Jaina had a hot sonic shower and was dressed. She'd left her Jedi robes on the Shadow Chaser, since wearing them in Imp territory was a bad idea, possibly even worse than, say, starting to not ha

10. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Fabulous update...

like turning Jaina against the Jedi

Have you met her yet Rache? Unless you're great in bed, I don't see it happening. And even if you are, still can't. She's her father's daughter. She's not going down without a fight. I'm just saying.

11. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Reading updates to this story is bittersweet. The story is so good, you hate when the update ends.

Great job, Dana!

12. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Jaina wore a belt with her father's blaster hanging at her hip.Somehow, that line had me almost in tears, poor Han! :_|

So Rache got a decoy for Jaina in case the jealous witch attacks. Hmmm...

Keep this going, I appreciate the update.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002

Heh heh, well, he's certainly got the ego that he'd think it will be easy.

Thanks. :) I hope to have a longer update soon.

Yes, poor Han. :(

Dana

14. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I agree with Princess-of-Naboo, I love this story and am sad when its done. Can't wait for more.

FL @};-

15. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Great update!

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks. :) I'm sad, too, though I'm kind of glad because every little bit gets me closer to the part where I want to be.

And I just have to mention, I love it that so many people are using the icon I made. :D

And because at least one of you expressed the desire for one, I give you:

A Timeline Of Events leading up to this story. This story is taking place at the same time as the beginning of the "Dark Nest Trilogy".

Dana

17. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Very interesting timeline.

18. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Me too! More than that, I had this flash-image of Jaina adapting the belt to her size after Han's death... it sent shivers down my spine.

Excellent update, Dana, although I have a bad feeling about the fate of this new brown-haired, brown-eyed girl.

19. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Yay update! Of course, I've been replying over on kajsu, so... I just wanted to read other people's replies here. :D

Sorry I didn't get this back to you last night, I had to make sure I'd fully read the earlier chapters, and wow that did clear up a few things. ;)

You can't keep Han dead. Bring Luke back as a Force ghostie, fine, but there's no one for him to be with! Cause Mara's evil. Please bring back Han too! ....Somehow!

Love Anakin. Love the banter. I'm not usually one for AU's, especially dark AU's, but you've got me with this one. :)

-Mia, who has way too much to catch up with on the boards...

20. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awsome update!

After I finish reading each chapter I'm always wishing for more and when I recieve a PM saying it's been updated I'm almost literilly bouncing off the wall from excitement. Great Job so far and can't wait for the next part.

21. MJade

MJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Dana,

Yea, you've filed Chapter 11! :p Sorry, had to do it. Wonderful update. That sneaky Rache. Hiring seemingly sweet and naive Ailana as a decoy for the Empress herself (and loved the milady btw - Padme would love it). Only the Sith. You know, it's rare to find a character you know is evil and you can't trust at all, yet is so... appealing you can't deny him/her anything. Your defenses just melt away. That seems to be the way Rache is going. I think we're in for quite the ride. Can't wait for more of the great story.

22. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Jaina wore a belt with her father's blaster hanging at her hip *sniffle* such a simple line, and yet very indicative of Jaina's character. I can just see her taking the blaster, belt and all, and - even if it's outdated - using it because it makes her feel safe and keeps her father close *sniff* So sweet!

And I adore the new "decoy" for Jaina. *laughs* you had me thinking TPM for a minute and wondering if they'd been sent back in time *chuckle*

I think Jacen and Kyp have met their match - though I wanted to smack Jacen when he told his siter not to expect loyalty. *sighs* stupid, stubborn Sith!

As for my reaction to the Kyp/Mara thing - I did catch the reference, I was only hoping I was wrong *laughs* it's just... wrong somehow ;)

Wonderful Update, Dana, can't wait for more :D

23. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    *jumps around* Me too!
    Can't wait for the next update!

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002

Well, I talked things over with MiaTieska last night over IHOP pancakes, and I think there are some surprises in store. :D

Hey, no problem. :)

I don't know how much of an appearance Luke is going to get, if any. But he'll be mentioned.

And Anakin will be back. Probably fairly soon.

Thank you. :) I'm glad you're enjoying this story. :)

:p

I know. I almost don't want to do what I'm planning for later and keep him exactly the way he is, lol.

LOL! No, no time-travel in this one. I did that in "Downfall".

Well, things will get interesting when Anakin shows up again. :D The Solo family will have some interesting times.

I'm amused that so many people are going, "Ewww!" about the Kyp/Mara thing in this when there wasn't a peep about it in "Doom & Dischord" . . .

The next update will hopefully

25. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Hehehe!! Yes there are. I realllly hope you make the next chapter as amusing as we made it sound while we were hyper at 1 am at IHOP.

Yay! The awesome power of the beta's suggestion, and begging. ;) Next time I'll use even more desserts... O:)

Ooh yay!!

-Mia