main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Like The Deserts Miss The Rain" (DN AU, dark K/J) -- Updated 14 Jan 2016!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    This is such a beautiful fic. Kyp makes such a great dark-sider due to that chivalrous streak in him. He's so much like Jaina's grandpa. Dashing good looks, strength of will and character, and utterly ruthless, but always with firm goals in mind to keep him relatively tame.

And he would never be anyone's consort. Anything less or more than a 50/50 arrangement in a relationship wouldn't be to his liking. Could he realistically be thought of to be Callista's type anymore than Mara's? He has no need to dominate, only to bring about relative galactic stability. If he wanted to diminate, he would have taken the Sun Crusher to Coruscant and demanded the surrender of the NR.

2. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Great update. Jaina's sure gotten herself into a pickle.

Jaina slammed the door to her quarters and threw herself down on her bed. She'd hunted all over the academy for the kriffing man, and in an ironic twist, the one time she'd wanted his presence, it was as if he'd vanished.

He did. Just to make you mad. He probably knew you figured he was messing with you. He's toying with you Jaina.

Wish I was you....=P~

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    LOL, drop in where? The pool? *gets ideas*

Right. I've attempted to show that here. I mean, he's been a Sith, with the Sun Crusher in his possession, for nearly a quarter of a century. And he's still just off doing his thing, hasn't made a bid for Emperor or anything. I don't think he'd be interested. I think he just wants the freedom to be his own man, so to speak.

Thanks for reading. :D I love it when I can get into discussions like this with readers. Really makes my day.

Heh, he probably did do it just to aggravate her, though part of him would naturally be curious as to what she wanted.

Dana

4. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Yikes, Dana, you're an update fiend with this! I adore the Darkside Kyp and how he's toying with Jaina...

I also like the way you've added a new depth to Leia's character, and the direction you've taken this...

A little er.. shocking that Luke and Han aren't going to pop out of the woodwork, but it's making for some great angst with Jaina and Kup

And who else would the Dark Sith Lord be but Kyp! *sighs* I'm eagerly looking forward to more...

I too, would also like to be placed on your PM list - seeing as how I'm only on every other day or after every other 2nd day... Thanks!

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Sure, I'll add you to the list. :)

I need to write chapter 8, but Kyp is being difficult again. It'll be up in the next couple days, though. I've been sick and haven't had much time to listen to his demands. :p He wants certain things *now*, and Jaina is like, "It'll snow on Tatooine first", so I'm like . . . dang, why can't these two act like a normal K/J? ;)

And *Han* won't be popping out of the woodwork, but Luke may have a mind of his own, can't say for sure yet. :p

Dana

6. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Great Update!

I was a little dissapointed there was no Kyp in it but I'm sure he'll be around soon, especially if he learns Jaina's looking for him

Can't wait for next post

EDIT: Oh, can I be added to the PM list too, please?

7. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    This is great.
    Can I get on the PM list please.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks. :D He'll be in the next few, I can assure you. He's very demanding of his screen time, and one chapter was all he'd give me away from him. :p

I'll get you added right away. :)

Sure can. :) Thanks for reading.

Dana

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Chapter Eight--

On the third day, truce was agreed upon.

Leia came to Jaina after the negotiations were declared finished and told her that the Council wanted her to go alnog with Rache and be their eyes and ears. Being Jaina's mother, Leia added exortations to be very careful, which Jaina naturally said that she would be.

She didn't say a word one way or the other about her new assignment. She'd known that Rache would get her to come with him when he left. It was just the way things were. She'd even already packed a travel case already and had it waiting at the foot of her bed.

Reiniger came for her in the middle of the afternoon. She was still talking to her mother when the Sith entered without knocking.

"Lord Rache requests your presence now, Knight Solo," the Sith said.

"Tell him I'll be there when I'm ready," Jaina snapped.

Reiniger pushed back his hood and glared at her. "Now, Jaina."

Beside Jaina, Leia stiffened in shock. Her hand reached out and clutched Jaina's arm, her grip tight and painful. Jaina managed not to react and just pointed towards the door.

Reiniger sneered at her and left, not even bothering to bow. Jaina didn't breathe easily until the door had closed behind him.

"Mom?" She dropped to her knees beside her mother's hover chair. "Mom, what is it?"

"That . . . That man," Leia whispered. "He looked very much like your father, only . . . much younger. I- I think . . . Oh, Force, don't let it be."

"Don't let it be what?" Even as Jaina asked, she dreaded the answer. The fear and anguish on her mother's face spoke almost better than anything Leia could possibly say.

Leia's face looked pale and drawn. She licked suddenly parched lips and breathed, "I think that was Jacen."

For several long moments, Jaina felt as if time had stopped.

Jacen.

Her brother.

Her twin.

----------

Rache was waiting for her on the summit of the temple, his hands folded at the small of his back as he looked out over the verdant jungle. Jaina walked right up to him and grabbed his sleeve, yanking on it to turn him around.

"Can I assist you, Jaina?" he asked, looking amused in the face of her anger.

"You stole my brother!" she said, the volume of her voice slightly lower than shouting, but not by a lot. "You took him and raised him and now he's your apprentice!"

The dark green depths of his eyes seemed to go on forever. No expression on his chiseled face whatsoever, and that seemed scarier than anything she'd seen from him yet.

"I wasn't sure you were ever going to figure it out," he said in reply. "Who was it? Your mother?"

"Who else? What did you expect, to bring her son here? Of course she would know him!"

He shrugged, a graceful lift of one shoulder. "I didn't expect anything. I don't go anywhere important without my apprentice at my side. I told him to keep his hood up, but he apparently disobeyed me. He'll be punished for that."

Jaina's hands shook at her sides. She took a step back from him. "Why? Why did you take him?"

Rache just looked at her, movement and life finally coming into his face. He loooked disgusted. "I didn't do anything except come back to retrieve the boy on Kun's ordered. Kun took him, and through me, Kun raised him. I think he was planning to use his body to restore himself to life. The boy is, after all, very powerful as I've no doubt you and Anakin noticed. My assumption is that Exar Kun was going to possess the boy's body once he reached adulthood."

The Sith let his hands drop to his sides and looked out towards the ruin of the temple Exar Kun had built for himself, the molten obsidian slag on a lonely island in the middle of a dark lake. Jaina had seen it herself, and she'd even been there yesterday, trying to sort out what was going on in her head.

"I couldn't let Kun do that, even if he was my master. So I carefully prepared, and I destroyed him. I couldn't destroy the boy, of course, so I have worked to train him as my apprentice, rather than my master. Naturally, one day he will kill me and t

10. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks for the PM.
    I Figured it would be Leia that recognised Jacen.
    Good stuff.

11. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh, Jacen is back! Cool.

12. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awsome update!

I think Jaina's situation is going to be getting really interesting. At least she knows his apprentice is Jacen now... though that could really screw up the K/Jness because now she's back to killing Kyp instead of saving him...

I'm sure you'll work it all out by the end. Can't wait for more!

13. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Mercia beaucoup for the PM, Dana!

Ooooo... And the plot thickens..

*clpas* Yay, his apprentice -is- Jacen, just like I thought, and I was wondering when Leia would see his face. I wonder if Jacen knows about his past, that this is his sister that Kyp is trying to turn, of if he's been kept ignorant. I wonder if he knows who his parents are... Hmmm... the questions, the questions...

And the tension between Kyp and Jaina is wonderful - you're so very right about not having to like a person to want them. It sucks to be in that position, and Kyp is going to use it against Jaina for everything he's worth.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed Anakin isn't going with Jaina on this mission - I was kind of hoping for an Anakin/Jacen confrontation *grin* And I'm very much looking forward to meeting Empress Jade. An overall wonderful chapter!

14. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Jaina's way in over her head. I don't care if she's a Solo and a Skywalker. There's no way she can save Jacen, kill Mara and Kyp.

She's going to have to submit to Kyp in order to get him to kill Mara. (and of course you're going to make her like that I'm sure :D)

Maybe she can get Jacen to kill Kyp and then redeem him.

Probably not. But I can't wait to see what you make her do and how she does it.

I'm loving this story Dana.

15. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Awesome update!

I bet Jacen knows who he is. Should be interesting...

16. MJade

MJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    WOW Dana!!!

This story is really, really good, awesome even. One of the best AUs I've read. Jaina is definitely in over her head, which I think is exactly where Kyp wants her. Great story, and a wonderful update. Can't wait to see if Jaina can save Jacen (and maybe even Kyp) and defeat Mara too. Can't wait for more!.

17. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Oh,Dana, this is great. I love the dark Kyp. And Jaina is in soooo way over her head. I have to agree, this is one of the best Dark AU's I've read in a while. =D=

FL @};-

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, wow, Dana, I finally caught up on this and the revelation of Jacen was just stunning, especially since Jaina didn't catch on while Leia did. Kyp's half-terrifying me, but I think that's the way you wanted it. THis is so well done!

19. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, just wow. It's great. Could you add me to the PM list, please?
    Can't wait for the next update.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *stares in astonishment at all the replies*

Wow, if I'd known I had this many readers, I would have spent today writing chapter 9 instead of obsessing over the new lead singer of INXS (who sounds exactly like Michael Hutchence!). Even though I swore off guys named J.D. . . .

Thanks. :)

Well, he's there but he isn't necessarily "back". ;)

Heh heh heh. Of course this is gonna complicate things. Poor Jaina. *snicker*

The original line in chapter four was, "Go find your sister [...] I made a misjudgment" He knows exactly who she is. And a line of his is very telling about something, dare you to find it. ;)

Kyp is, of course, going to use everything he's got against her, heh heh heh. [face_devil]

We'll be seeing Anakin soon enough. :)

Thanks. :D

She is in SO over her head, ha ha. We'll see about her submitting to Kyp. [face_devil]

Thanks. :D We'll find out soon.

Of course he's got her exactly where he wants her. She may think she's in control . . .

Thanks for reading. :) Hopefully I can update soon.

Thank you. :) This is the first time I've really dabbled with a dark!AU. I've got one that's AU that I stopped working on, but it isn't even as AU as this, heh.

Thank you. :) Kyp terrifies me, too, a bit.

Leia would, of course, have a be

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I knew Reiniger was Jacen when you had Rache and Reiniger going on about turning not one but three Solos a few chapters back. Could we see a twin vs twin confrontation near the end?

Kyp is, IMO a mix of Palpatine and what Vader perhaps would have been if Mustafar had not happened. He exudes sexual predator at the same time subtly manipulating the situation to his advantage. When his fuse is lit however, it's not pretty (See Crispy Jag)

And since all the Solos are exact blends of their parents, I can't help but wonder if maybe Anakin isn't on the Shadow Chaser afterall.[face_batting]

Of course this feels incomplete without Chewie, Han and Luke. [face_plain]

I look forward to more.

22. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm just wondering........why do they have German names? I mean, Rache and Reiniger. Or do this words have a special meaning in English which I don't know?

23. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh, you mean -this- line, Dana?[face_batting]

Rache paused. "I hadn't considered that possibility yet. To have all three . . ."

Or is there another one I didn't catch? :) Looking forward to more :D

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, I'll tell you right now that after this 'fic, there is a sequel, called "Two Steps Ahead". So not everything is going to be resolved in this one.

It's really funny 'cause last night when I read your comment about Kyp's temper not being pretty, I had INXS's "Pretty Vegas" stuck in my head, specifically the line, "It ain't pretty" and I laughed. Yes, I'm a dork.

Anakin isn't on the Shadow Chaser. We'll see him soon, though.

The names are German. Their meanings just didn't sound cool in English or in French, so I went with German. EBrooklynW was a great help in naming them. "Reiniger" is a huge clue as to the apprentice's identity; I'm disappointed that no one looked it up before he was revealed, even if everyone guessed correctly anyway.

That's actually not the line I was referring to . . . [face_devil]

Dana

25. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    That's actually not the line I was referring to . . . [face_devil][/quote]

Hmmmm... then what could it be... It is in chapter 4, like you said, right?