Roch, NY Lilac Festival Parade - 13th May 2006

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    From the Rochester D and C:

enlarge WILL YURMAN staff photographerIsabella Anne Harrison, left, 1, and her sister, Charlotte Rose Harrison, 4, dance to the music at the Lilac Festival parade Saturday.
    Day in Photos

Everybody loves a Lilac parade

Maeleeke J. Lavan
    Staff writer

(May 14, 2006) ? There's at least one thing that gets everyone excited about watching a parade.

"The clowns. I see them," 4-year-old Kelsy Hucks said, pointing down the street.

"I like the floats," said Oreal Green, 15.

"I just love parades," said Jewell Green, giddy with excitement.

Each year, Lilac Festival-goers crowd the sidewalks, sit on blankets, ponchos, in chairs ? anywhere ? to catch a glimpse of the floats, cars, people and activity.

Armed with cameras, umbrellas, sustenance and smiles, onlookers began lining South Avenue just after 9 a.m. Saturday, well before the parade's 10:30 start.

Julie Hucks of Rochester brought her daughter Kelsy to the parade for the first time. Kelsy pronounced it fun.

Farther down South Avenue, Jewell Green sat with her grandchildren, Oreal and Jimmy. Jewell has come to the Lilac Festival parade for as many years as she can remember.

"It's something for me to do with my grandkids," she said.

Jimmy, 3, was excited before the parade even started. "Look, a motorcycle!" he exclaimed as Rochester Police Department officers rode up and down the streets making sure the way was clear.

As the parade began, Jimmy waited patiently, clapping here and there for fire departments, floats and others who passed by.

It wasn't until a particular group strode through the middle of the street that Jimmy perked up.

"Look!" he said, pointing at approaching Star Wars characters.

Aside from the colorful floats and energizing marching bands and dancers, Jewell Green said she likes to look at the crowd as well.

"You see so many different nationalities get together."

MLAVAN@DemocratandChronicle.com

2. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I saw you guys on channel 8's 11 o'clock news last night. Just a tiny clip. They said something about people "from out of this world" I don't have any footage of it though. Looked good though!
  3. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea I caught that too, it showed Daria Mike & Darren
  4. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4

hmmmmm just noticed the new avatar, tee hee had you changed it before the parade?? just curious if I didn't notice it as a clue before?

5. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello Rochester!

I just wanted to thank you all for welcoming me when I very randomly came up to visit. I had a good time so thanks!
  6. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey! Anytime, we like visitors!
  7. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're welcome! We were glad to have you!

~Doc_Bev
  8. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I had the wrong date for this. lol I thought it was a week later...d'oh! Hope everyone had a great time!

I'm just now getting back online as my hard drive died and my computer had been gone for three weeks. There are some other issues with it so I may be online off and on again until those are taken care of.

Hope to see everyone soon!
  9. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, dear!
    Glad to see you back online!
    Hopefully we'll get to see you in person again soon!

~Doc_Bev
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.