Roch, NY Lilac Festival Parade - Sat May 12th 2007

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lilac Festival Parade
    Saturday, May 12th 2007

kick off at 10:30am
    we'll meet at Monroe Community Hospital at 8:30am to get suited up.

I will be posting an invite for the 501st to join us.
    And, SWF-JPB consider this Rebel Legion's invite. ;)

Here are previous year's threads for reference.
    Lilac Parade 2006 planning thread
    Lilac Parade 2005 planning thread
    Lilac Parade 2004 planning thread
    And, here's the official site.

Usually the application doesn't come out until March, but I haven't checked the site yet to see if it's there.

Afterward the parade we can have a picnic again.

Event Checklist

Type of Function
    Festival Parade

Where function will take place?
    Outdoors
    If outdoors, will it be cancelled if it rains?
    No

Where is the Entertainers entrance/exit?
    line-up spot is the corner of Science Parkway and South Avenue

435 E Henrietta Rd, Rochester, NY
    Right in between Westfall Rd and 390

Time of Event
    Time event starts - 10:30am
    Time entertainers need to be there - 8:30am
    Time entertainers need to be ready for - 9:30am
    Time event ends - 12pm-ish
    Time entertainers can remove costume - at end of parade (unless doing the b-day party)

Rules and Guidelines
    Will there be children present? Yes
    What are the guidelines for interaction? stay in character
    Bucket on/off rule Bucket On
    Pictures try not to pose for pictures as it will hold up the parade
    Games, events, activities none

Entertainers needed
    OT, PT, Empire, Rebels, Jedi, and club members

Weapon restrictions
    none that I am aware of

Trooper Provisions
    Men's and Women's secure dressing area
    We will need to change at our cars. There is a single men's and single women's restroom in the hospital that could be used quickly to change into costume bases.
    A "safe zone" to unmask
    Safe to unmask at the line-up spot and after we turn off the parade route, but please don't unmask during the parade unless it's an emergency.
    Will food/water be provided?
    There will be a cooler with water in the car
    Any other entertainer "perks"
    No
    Is there a preffered parking location/garage?
    park at MCH near the pavilion
    Is parking free/reimbursed?
    free parking at MCH

~Doc_Bev
  2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope it ends up being our best one yet. Each year has been great but this is the 30 th aniv. I want to go all out. I'll be marching of course (wouldn't miss it) and will post over on Echo base Forum.
  3. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OK, the application for this is due April 10th.
    I'm making a personal deadline of March 23rd to get this sent in.

That should give folks plenty of time to chime in that they want to participate.
    Some of the other things needed for the application are if we're going to have a vehicle or float and how we're going to portray the theme of the convention.

I'm assuming yes to the vehicle (whether we can get the Seabring or not I'm sure we'll come up with something). And I'm guessing at the very least we can use the purple armbands if we don't come up with anything different.

~Doc_Bev
  4. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    Two Purple Clone Troopers holding the banner. That would be great, if we had any, but we dont. A float would be cool. Ryan mentioned he was thinking of make a Jabba eventually. That would be a cool float. I do not think we have time though for that. Why not the Rebel and Imperial symbols out of Lilacs or other Purple flowers? Have those made like banners maybe. If we have a vehicle put them on that.
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *bump*
    With Connor's b-day coming up I may not be sending this in until the 27th, but it'll still be sent in plenty of time before the deadline of April 10th.

~Doc_Bev
  6. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Sorry guys have a problem. I will not be able to make this event now. My wifes family is having a reunion that day and I have to attend it.

Ian
  7. jedimaster1610 Jedi Master

star 1
    I should be done with school May 8th, i belive, so Im pretty sure I'll be joining you.
  8. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey gang;

AS I am now a neighbor of Highland Park, my new apartment bordering on it's uppermost north-west corner, I though I'd offer up my new "backyard" for the post-parade gathering. Admittedly, the location does not have the usual pavillion and grill amenities, but it does have acres of land for setting up our own amenities and for carousing and/or lightsaber dueling. Let me know what you all think, and if this is something the group wishes to do, I'll take it to the next step...

Which brings me to an idea I had... what if we were to invite the public to our after-parade bash? Charge a coupla' bux for hot dog or hamburger, soda, and snak-size chips to raise the usual charity donation, and use it as a recruitment function? We could even make up signage to promote the picnic, and print up flyers to hand out during our parade march, rather than just the usual "wave-and-smile" thing we always do. Of course; were we to do this, the hospital would be the better choice of location, making the first paragraph of this post moot.

Anyway... thoughts?
  9. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Just to let you all know, I WILL be coming up for the Lilac Parade and it appears that my wife is going to be working on Jedi costume for my kids (my son a Jedi, my older daughter Padme and my younger daughter either Aayla Secura or Princess Leia). So, you may have a minimum of four just from the Crissman clan alone. Hopefully I'll have my Mando done by then. Been cutting Sintra all day. Happy Easter everyone and see you in May :)
  10. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Deano, no offense but i'm thinking after the parade, i'd just rather relax & have some good times & great conversations with my fellow troop mates. Also I think we have to consider using your new place as the scenerio since some of it would be taking place on /in a public park & there may be issues for charging for food. Permits & such. I do believe nicky is planning a hotdog sale in conjunction with the tranquility as a fund raiser for the clubs It may be a good idea to leave it at that. Just my thoughts.
  11. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For this year, since I've already contacted the Rehse's about the pavilion at MCH I think I'd like to see us keep our picnic there. We'll just have to plan another summer function where we can all head over to your new place. :)

As far as hot dog selling - Tom's correct in that I'm planning another sale over at Sam's Club (assuming we have enough manpower).

Also, I don't think we're allowed to hand out anything during the course of the parade, but I'd have to contact the parade officials to confirm that.

So all good ideas, but I think we'll just be doing them at different times and places than you proposed.

~Doc_Bev
  12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    As for handing out stuff, I seem to remember it being against the rules. Its an issue with the parrade moving right along and stuff. Maybe I am wrong.
  13. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    All right... they were just ideas...
  14. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    It wasn't a slapdown, just maybe someting for another time maybe?
  15. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Got a call from the Lilac Parade folks that we will be getting our info packet the first week of May. So I'm guessing that means our application was accepted. :p

~Doc_Bev
  16. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Hey Doc Bev,
    I still plan on coming up for this parade and participating. HUGE question, though. My wife isn't going to be able to get the kids' costumes done in time for the parade. Can they still come and walk with us? Or they could ride in a van/car that may be following behind us. My kids are very well behaved and will do what is asked of them, and of course I'll be there to watch over them as well. I was just wondering if this would be "kosher" with everyone.

Thanks,
    Bob
  17. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your kids are more than welcome to still come and march with us. Unfortunately, the car only has two seats left available in it. My first thought would be to have your youngest ride in the car and have your two oldest carry the banner, but they might get too tired doing that before the end and your youngest might not like riding in the car with "strangers". Did your wife get a costume finished?
    If you don't think they'd be up to carrying a banner then they could just walk behind the car. Do they have Star Wars t-shirts? I have lots in size Large but they'd probably be swimming in them. :p

~Doc_Bev
  18. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Bev,
    I'm sure they would all love to carry the banner. Tara (my youngest) may get tired and then again, she may not, it all depends on how much sleep I can get her the night before. As far as shirts, I KNOW my son has a Star Wars shirt, but I just talked with Heather and we don't think the girls have one. She's gonna try looking for some today. If not, we could put them in the large shirts you have and just have them tuck them in their pants/shorts. Also, they have carried the banner for my marching band in the past, so it wouldn't be that new for them to do it. Thank you so much.

Bob
  19. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    have to check our soccer schedule and see we may not be able to get out there till after the parade starts. So we may just come and join the party afterwards ;)
  20. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Did I say I love my wife? Okay, we couldn't find t-shirts for the parade, but my wife just went to Wal Mart, got some Star Wars material and is going to "zip-zip" (that's her quote, mind you) some homemade t-shirts for the parade for the kids. So, she can't get the costumes done, but she'll make star wars t's. Problem solved. By the way, I asked the kids if they would like to hold the banner for the parade and they're all excited about it. It looks like this family is starting to "turn to the dark side". I wonder how that started? [face_whistling]
  21. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    YAY!!!!!!!! kids in the parrade!! Cool!!!!! We need some kids to march with us, not just us Big Kids. Too bad no costumes, but homeade star wars shirts from mom sound pretty cool. I love seeing all those cloths peaople made from old bed sheets and stuff, and even the newer material.
  22. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Just an FYI: I've got the day off, so I'll definitely be there, and sporting the recently RL approved Obi-Wan Episode 3 outfit (I was, unbeknownst to me, approved in late March... found the e-mail weeks later!). Just TODAY I received the finally piece to make my Obi Ep.3 screen perfect: the rear leather pouch, from Todd Davis; Master Costumer and friend to Justin (Primrodo, of Canada). He has a nice website for prop replicas he makes at www.unreelcreations.com. They are worth every cent spent. In fact, the Anakin pouch I acquired from Justin a year ago was a Todd creation; and a perfect replica of the one Ani wore.
  23. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Hi Bob! Glad, you can make it! Who else is making the trek? Which costumes are you and your wife wearing? If she doesn't have a costume, perhaps she could take some photos on the sidelines? The car may be tight. Tom, our tie pilot will be driving our sister-in-law's convertible. Heidi, our current pregnant Padme and Diane (the green Jedi who uses a cane) have the back seats. Perhaps your youngest can squeeze in with them if she's small. Last year a cooler took up the passenger front seat with Yoda so that our helmeted walkers don't get dehydrated if it's warm. So far, the weather looks beautiful for it (~68F).
  24. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hadn't realized Diane was going to be in the car. Is Bill working?
    There might be slightly more space in the back seat if Heidi & Diane are brave enough to sit on the top.
    I know when I sat in the seat I was too low to see anything and I doubt anyone could see my "costume".
    I forgot about the cooler taking up a seat as well.

~Doc_Bev
  25. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Hmmm - Diane was questioning us a lot about it lately especially this past weekend and was interested if she could ride in the car with Heidi, since she might not be able to handle walking in the parade and all the standing around beforehand. I thought she confirmed it with you already. Since Bill worked this past Sunday, she thought he should be off on Saturday and might be going too. Yeah, there wasn't enough legroom or space in back for the cooler last year with Connor and you (+Leora). I figured if my knee acts up during the parade, I'll just blend into the crowd ;) until it's over to call for a pickup or limp back to MCH slowly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.