main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Limited Theatrical Screenings - HEAVY SPOILERS HERE ONLY

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Understandable. I'd be too busy trying to swipe Dave's hat than pay attention to the episodes. :p

I kid, I kid. ;)

2. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    How is any of this canon-wrecking mess George's fault? He didn't write this... well, I won't call it what I feel like I should so I'll replace the bad word with "stuff." SIgh.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Because Lucas told the writers what to write. There are several instances where he over-route a more canon friendly story (Rlyoth for example. Its tide locked nature was going to be a plot point, be he removed said plot point for unknown reasons, and inserted several references to the planet not being tide locked.)

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What canon-wrecking mess?

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    It's not little simple examples, the entire series basically contradicts canon. Some episodes have it more than others, and some may be fine. Tonight's episode will definitely be a problem.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I can't see how. Insider already explained how does this new Ventress story fits within the EU. What else is a problem?

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I think they need to rethink that.

8. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    It's a freakin' awesome story. I don't know the EU story that well, but it works on screen and I think that's what matters.

9. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    I'd agree with that, as long as it's entertaining I'm fine with it.

10. maderic

Oct 8, 2004
    We have proof that George Lucas told people what to write for this? If so, where?

Arbitrarily resurrecting a dead character (who died on-screen in one of the films, the highest form of canon!) for literally no reason. But hey, let's not care about the fundamentals of a coherent story. Maybe he hired the writers of "Days of Our Lives."

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    well it was Serenno since Dooku stayed there and don't go Dathomir until next episodeso_O

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    George himself is behind these changes Filoni and others confirm it- they did what they could to preserve some parts of the eu - George's daughter wrote this- but Lucas decided the biggest change that Ventress is from Dathomir and he also decided all that Maul stuff i'm very sure

13. maderic

Oct 8, 2004
    Is there proof of this, of this extent of Lucas' involvement? I can't see him personally crafting such shoddy storytelling. The fact that his daughter wrote it is irrelevant; Katie is not George.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who are you to say that change is for no reason? And how do you know that character is alive? And the EU had already ressurected him before, so the "canon-wrecking mess" starts from there.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The resurrection of fan-favorite Star Wars characters is nothing new. We have:

Boba Fett, who fell into the mouth of an immobile sand monster. It was later retconned that he blasted his way out in a blaze of glory.

Emperor Palpatine, who fell down an elevator shaft. It was later retconned that he came back as an uber-powerful clone and wreaked his vengeance on an unsuspecting galaxy.

Darth Maul, who got cut in half by a Padawan. He came back with longer horns and cyber-legs to kill Obi-Wan Kenobi.

This is a trend that, while a little unsettling, is pretty much never going to change. :p

16. maderic

Oct 8, 2004
    Maul served his purpose in Episode I. There's no reason to bring him back. It's weak storytelling. There's a reason that soap operas are mocked for exactly the same tactic; it's contrived. The EU that brought him back was Visionaries; not a source of canon, but a what-if situation. But I digress...

fistofan1: Those are three prime examples of exactly what I'm talking about: poor storytelling by EU writers. It just perpetuates what I'm against. For the sake of civility, I won't continue this because I am admittedly hostile to the EU and I don't mean to further derail this thread or antagonize people who actually do like it. I am interested in knowing, for sure, how much control over content Lucas has in this and input into the creative process he has.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, you know the story then. Do you mind to share it with us? Is he alive or dead?

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    According to Dave, George wanted to do (or re-do) Ventress' back story, he told them what he wanted and then they got Katie Lucas to try writing the actual screenplay.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    if you don't believe he is behind this himself you don't know him- Filoni at least if he speaks truth told how George Lucas wanted to explore Asajj's past like no one would have explored it before- and so it is George has said it many times he do n't care about eu that's not part of his SW and he wanted Ventress to be witch- Katie wrote the story but after EU and her father's ideas so don't blame her she did research to add and salvage eu but Lucas wouldn't have cared if all would have been changed in his universe Ventress has no backstory at all....

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    i don't think anyone other than George would have dared to even think about such idea in this series- but Lucas probably wanted to change his saga once again but i agree bringing Maul back is his stupidest decision yet.... ok after Greedo shooting first that sucked.....

21. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    To those who have seen the ending of the trilogy, how is Asajjs escape from the dual with Dooku?

To me it would make the most sense if she had been killed of at the end of this three parter. She has burned her bridges with Dooku and completely failed to kill him several times, what?s left for her character to do in the series? Seeing her continue to try and kill Dooku repeatedly for the rest of the series seams a bit unoriginal in the long run.

I know she wasn?t killed in the theatrical version, but I?m thinking that perhaps she will die in the TV version. After all it?s possible they showed an alternate ending in the theater, so that not everyone would know Asajj dies in part 3 over a month before the episode went on air.

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    would be too cunning- ending would be completely different- whole maul thing would be hoax and they would be like "We fooled you people Maul is not alive":p and ventress would die.... sorry but i don't believe they will change that- theatre version is same as tv-version for sure

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Savage fights his way out and flees back to the Mother. She vows to help him get revenge (that seems to be her thing). She says he can do it... she walks over to a crystal ball. He can do it if he finds his brother... The camera zooms to the ball and Darth Maul's face is in it. He's alive and in hiding. He can find the answers by wearing a talisman that will take him to his long lost brother.

Man, my mouth is kinda hanging open in shock right now. Maul already came back canonically once in a Tales comic, but I sure wasn't expecting him in Clone Wars.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    We don't even know if he's alive or dead.

25. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    The insider apparantly says he's alive and living in the outer rim so yes, Maul IS alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.