main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Limits of force abilities?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay so I'd thought I'd like to get some discussion going on this using Legends primarily.

Anyway the main question is what are the absolute limits of what force users can achieve?

Create life ex nihilo, teleport across millions of light years? Become immortal-(not force ghosting)

Plagueis in one scene in Darth Plagueis talks about how Sith of old-knew how to fly, could transport themselves across time and space, and had other more astounding abilities.

Or did they just seek such abilities.

We do know some outliers-Jacen's moment in TUF-it's stated he could impose his will on the universe, what Luke and Ben achieve in Apocalypse. Palpatine was getting closer to perfecting force storms.

Anyway those are most outliers-my final question is what could Luke or Jacen(or Caedus had he lived) or Palpatine or Krayt or any top tier force users gotten to before they simply could not get any farther? Or is there no limit?

In conclusion what are the absolute limits force users can achieve?

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force, remember? ;)

But really, that statement can be taken either literally or metaphorically. Legends expands upon the "tip of the iceberg" effect that the films had by revealing Jedi and Sith who had powers like Exar Kun, Naga Sadow, Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion, etc. It's what makes the EU really intriguing in that regard.

As for limits, I think Abeloth would be the limit.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dawn of the Jedi (both the comics and novel) seemed to be going somewhere with this, especially the transportation part, but the plot was cut prematurely so we never quite saw what the story was behind Tython and the Force stargate. (TOR might have explored this more since Tython's in the game -- I haven't played it but someone else can confirm whether that's the case...)

Similarly, I got the impression the authors were having a field day coming up with illicit zany Force powers the Sorcerers of Rhand could accomplish (floating strips of flesh... sentient mudbaths...Force-splicing a Kowakian monkey lizard with a Gamorrean because... yay?). I'm not sure if there was ever a plan to limit these activities though, because a lot of them might have been meant as hearsay. What goes on in the Unknown Regions stays in the Unknown Regions.

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I just imagined Thrawn and Pellaeon having a pre-campaign party with hookers and blow on the Chimaera. [face_laugh] It was such a weird thought.

I wish Dawn of the Jedi could have continued. It was turning out to be pretty interesting (especially with John Ostrander and Jan Duursema on board).

rumsmuggler likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always thought the unknown regions were kind of like the delta quadrant in Star Trek the least explored, most politically isolated region of the Galaxy. Also I seem to recall I believe in was Car'das telling Mara about the hundred horrors of the region? Anyway it was pretty interesting.

In terms of limits-was something like Abeloth the farthest a force user could go? Or could you get to Q/Monotheistic Deity/Supreme Being levels of power?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Stent, not Car'das.

The Bedlam Spirits seemed pretty powerful in their "Tilotny Throws a Shape" comic in the Devilworlds series. Time travel, instant-kill powers, transmutation, etc. Bringing slain people to life again is also notable.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    My personal view is that it would depend on the ability of the Force user to get into a zen state, so to speak - the more at peace they were and the deeper they could concentrate, the more they would be able to subsume themselves into the wider flow of the Force and therefore be able to draw from it.

Gamiel and CaptainPeabody like this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If I honestly had to think of a Q equivalent in this universe, I'd have to say the Ones from Mortis would be the closest thing; but that's admittedly not Legends, unless you want to accept the conceit of Legends that they're one and the same as the Celestials. Certainly, when I first saw those episodes, the Celestials were the first thing that came to my mind; to me, the simplest, easiest way to explain the Celestials' creation of, say, a stable black hole cluster, would have to be that they could manipulate the Force on the level of those three characters on Mortis.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Weren't the celestials either destroyed or at least driven out of the Galaxy by the Rakata though? Anyway I've always understood force abilities to be innate hence the concept of force sensitivity. But their are limits-for example the sky-solo clan has incredible potential and is probably closest to absolute force mastery. Other Jedi and Sith(I guess) will never reach anything like that they will a in a sense max out.

As an observation-I have always liked Legends for having greater and more astounding and subtle abilities than what the movies showed. It upsets me when people complain and say "Legends is to OP." I think that's a good thing-the Jedi and the Sith aren't mere conjurors or generic sci fi telepaths with some other cool tricks-they have a connection to an unknowable infinite field of energy whose sentience is not readily determined-they should be Demi gods. Or else I wouldn't be able to take them seriously. Also when people say OP means not relateable-in some sense that's a good thing and part of the reason why I didn't like TFA-Ren acted like a teenager not a regal Vader and I couldn't take Rey or Finn with any seriousness. They shouldn't behave like mere mortals you see because Jedi and Sith aren't mere mortals.

Anyway I hope this thread generates more productive discussion.

Darth Sophis likes this.
  10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I think if Jerec had tapped into the full power of The Valley of the Jedi, we would see an upper tier limit

Nom von Anor likes this.
  11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The answer to this question simply varies so drastically depending on the source you refer to, basically rendering it an utterly meaningless exercise IMO

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The source material is not unlimited though nore the differences in substance too great that conclusions can not be drawn. I specifically included Legends and while vast its content and range is not infinite(I wish it were).

To me it is an interesting discussion-when Palpatine tells Anakin in ROTS about unnatural abilities-what was he including, when Vader says the force is powerful than the Death Star-how truly far can that be taken.

Legends says pretty far-my question is the absolute farthest.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Depends on what side of force you ally with, but I could see a Sith pulling an angry version of Zen state with plenty of training and practice.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  14. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Dorsk 81 threw a fleet of Star Destroyers out of the Yavin System with the help of other Jedi students. That's a pretty upper level use of the Force(some would say 'ridiculous').

And Naga Sadow could make a star go nova with some Force-focusing equipment.

15. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    But that also killed Dorsk,which I think is a good thing narratively as it shows there are consequences for channeling that much power.

Sadow on the other hand used a device to focus his ability so it did not kill him.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Whatever the story requires the Force to be able to do....

In Rebels we see Kanan slow his fall to safely land at the refinery...but an Inquisitor whose lightsaber-helicopter breaks falls to his death.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    well first they gotta remember they have force to use i, which writers seem to have nack for.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    At least in the old EU, I think we saw a lot of examples of this, even if it was phrased differently. Bane's order especially emphasized planning, patience, being calculating - all kind of negative ways to phrase being at peace with yourself, but sort of a dark reflection. I was watching the original Tartakovsky Clone Wars show this morning and Dooku even emphasizes to Ventress that she needs to be beyond fear.

Gamiel and rumsmuggler like this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They are also kept weak, so maybe they didn't get to learn that particular skill, or they are just dumb and have no imagination in using their power.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.