main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Linear writing help

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by craigrr, Nov 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    (I hope I'm not the only one with this problem)

I know lots of people have no trouble writing a story, going from Point 'A' to Point 'B' to Point 'C', etc...

My problem is this- I'll start out @ Point 'A' and seem to get blocked on my way to 'B', but come up with a good plot idea for Point 'R'. It's really frustrating trying to get things strung together. I don't want a quick fix because more often then not, it'll look like just that. I don't want to be lazy and throw just any plot convenince in there. How do you folks overcome this type of hurdle?

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    If you get a good idea for a scene further on in your story, it's a good idea to write it straight away.
    Don't worry about writing your story in the order that it happens . . . very few authors can do that. It's common for authors to write the end first, just so they can keep in mind where they are going.

Often, while you are writing the scene at point 'R' you get a good idea for how to bridge the previous scenes. I guess what I'm saying is: don't try to force yourself to come up with a narrative bridge when the ideas just aren't flowing. They'll come, just give them time.

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, Craigrr, non-linear is the only way I write! The secret is, write the whole thing BEFORE you post!

I usually start at Point N. Then sometimes O flows from that. Then I get an idea for F. Then I get a fabulous idea for X, Y, and Z. Only I then have to go back and do A, B, J, and T to make that work. Then I do the rest.

Write the scenes. In between the scenes, if you know sort of what has to happen, write a descriptive sentence, then fill in with dialogue, action, etc.

Finally, have more than one story going at once, so if you can't think of something for Story One, you may be able to work on Story Two.

But don't post until you've finished the whole thing! When the whole draft is in place, you can see where the holes and weak spots are. Or, you can put devious little things in at earlier points in the story that your readers will gloss over, thinking they're unimportant, only to find that they are a MAJOR factor in the climax!

Good luck!

4. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    the only way that'll get me writing the entire story is if i post it as a go. i'll start at point A, and sure i'll come up with point R somewhere when i really shouldn't be writing it. but then i'll make a small summary of it and keep going. feedback is my prize for finishing a scene :)

5. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Thanks for all the advice. I've actually been doing a lot of the steps mentioned like writing down an idea & having more than one story going. Right now, I have two going and sometimes they threaten to meld into one story. I'll have to see about that. Maybe somewhere down the line, these story lines will merge. The central character in each story are related and they do appear in each other's individual stories, however briefly.

Thanks again for the tips. time to get plugging away at those scenes!! :)

6. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    craigrr, you have no idea how much that problem applies to me.

Just keep the new scenes in mind and just try to come up with ways to bridge the gap. Don't worry about writing them one at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.