main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lines from the Saga that mirror each other

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Feb 28, 2011.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    There are plenty of Obi-Wan (ANH)/Palpatine (ROTS) mirrors. IMO these movies are connected backwards, our introduction to the light side being A New Hope, our introduction to the dark Revenge of the Sith. It's interesting that the "meat" or introduction to each side of the force occurs at the start of the OT, but at the end of the PT.

ANH-
    OBI-WAN: You must do what you think is right, of course.
    ROTS
    SIDIOUS: Of course you should. But you aren't completely sure of their intentions.

ANH-
    OBI-WAN: Learn about the force, Luke.
    ROTS-
    SIDIOUS: Become my apprentice. Learn to use the dark side of the force.

ANH-
    OBI-WAN: Your destiny lies along a different path than mine.
    ROTS-
    SIDIOUS: Your fulfilling your destiny Anakin.

I like that the Sith attitude towards destiny involves focus on one's self, and an unbroken bond to the Master, while Obi-Wan demonstrates the light by leaving it to the will of the force.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice! In AOTC, they're also pursuing Dooku at the, er, time. AOTC is like the centre of a Christopher Lee sandwich. FOTR had been released about five months prior (Dec 2001), AOTC came out in May 2002, and TTT was due to be released in Dec 2002. In FOTR, Lee's Saruman derisively intones, "Time? What time do you think we have?" as a prelude to revealing himself as the team-changing wise-master-in-league-with-the-arch-villain archetype.

AOTC-
    PALPATINE: Master Yoda, do you really think it will come to war?

AOTC-
    PADME: I think Count Dooku is behind it.

AOTC-
    ANAKIN: I thought about her every day since we parted.

AOTC-
    ANAKIN: Why else do you think we were assigned to her, if not to find the killer?

AOTC-
    OBI-WAN: What is she thinking?

AOTC-
    ANAKIN: This is a shortcut... I think.

AOTC-
    ANAKIN: I think he's a she. And I think she's a changeling.

AOTC-
    OBI-WAN: Use the Force. Think!

AOTC-
    DEX: I should think you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

AOTC-
    MACE: Do you think these cloners are behind the plot to assassinate Senator Amidala?

AOTC-
    WATTO: Some place over on the other side of Mos Eisley, I think.

AOTC-
    OBI-WAN: I don't think so!

In reverse order...

The clones also literally let Obi-Wan down by firing on him, which leads to an almighty fall, marking the beginning of the Order 66 death march. However, Obi-Wan lets Anakin down (in more ways than one!), and cuts him down to size (again, rather literally!) later on. The light banter between Obi-Wan and Cody -- almost wrote "Jango" -- is very peculiar in light of AOTC, where the same actors had a tense dialogue scene, followed by a violent hand-to-hand scuffle, and then a dangerous chase in an asteroid field. While light and funny, Obi-Wan's line is also rather sinister and strange: "Very well, the burden is on me not to destroy all the droids until you arrive." Sort of rhymes with, "Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship", and it has a peculiar resonance with Obi-Wan's deep dependency on droids: using his astromech to transmit back to Cody that he's "made contact", relying on Threepio to pilot Padme's ship after his exhausting duel with Anakin, and the whole thing, talking of exhausting -- exhausts! -- about the Death Star plans being hidden in Artoo.

Lots of messages are transmitted and re-transmitted, intercepted, misinterpreted, ignored, and half-decoded in the saga. But a very cool catch with repetition of "diplomatic". Sets that pair apart. And as for pairs... When Vader confront

3. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    LOL. And they are all from AOTC too.

Good points.
    I also like the possible implication that, if Anakin was created by Sidious, he is triggered in a similar fashion to the clones. This is just speculation though, I don't firmly believe Sidious creating Anakin was the case.

I noticed that.

Interesting.

Nice. I can definitely see a link in their retreat down to the films' first planets/ opening settings.

I wouldn't have thought of that.

4. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    wow. cryo. that forked tongue thought was impressive.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reviewing the contributions made in this thread. This is one of the things that makes Star Wars so special and unique [and fun!]. You guys rock!

5. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    ROTS-
    When Anakin first reunites with his friend (Palpatine), who he has come to rescue, he asks him "Are you alright?"
    ROTJ-
    When Luke first reunites with his friend (Han Solo), who he has come to rescue, he also asks "Are you alright?"

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Choices...

TPM-
    SIDIOUS: I have the Senate bogged down in procedures. By the time this incident comes up for a vote, they will have no choice but to accept your control of the system.

AMIDALA: Either choice presents a great risk...to us all.

SHMI: This path has been placed for you, Annie; the choice to take it is yours alone.

PALPATINE: Our best choice would be to push for the election of a stronger Supreme Chancellor.

PALPATINE: Our only other choice would to be to submit a plea to the courts...

AOTC-
    ANAKIN: I'm sorry, I don't have a choice.

ROTS-
    PALPATINE: Thank you, my friend, but in this case I have no choice . . . this war must be won.

PALPATINE: I would worry about the collective wisdom of the Council if they didn't select you for this assignment. You are the best choice by far.

ANH-
    LUKE: It looks like we don't have much of a choice but I'll remind him.

HAN: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?

ESB-
    LEIA: It's risky, but we can't hold out much longer. We have no choice.

LANDO: I had no choice. They arrived right before you did. I'm sorry.
    LEIA: Oh, so we understand, don't we, Chewie? He had no choice

ROTJ-

LUKE:
    Nevertheless, I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this... or be destroyed! It's your choice. But I warn you not to underestimate my powers.

ACKBAR: We have no choice, General Calrissian. Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

IMO Coruscant represents the corrupt centre of the galaxy, where locations like Naboo represent the age of innocence of the Republic.

PALPATINE (On Coruscant): Stay here, where it's safe!
    In ROTS Coruscant proves to not be safe at all.

PADME:
    Annie I want to have the baby back on Naboo. We can go to the Lake Country where nobody will know... where we can be safe.
    Like Padme states in AOTC, she never should have come to Coruscant.

Plus, on Coruscant...
    SIDOUS: Welcome home Lord Tyrannus...

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Not sure if I've done this one already, but...

ROTS-
    ANAKIN: You underestimate my power.
    ROTJ-
    LUKE: It's your choice but, I warn you not to underestimate my power.

And in ROTJ-
    YODA: Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will.
    This line takes new meaning firstly from the fact that Anakin believes that Sidious is at Mace's mercy when he turns, so the line rings true. From a point of view, Anakin's fate is indeed determined when he underestimates Palpatine.
    Also, Yoda fails his mission to destroy Sidious in ROTS.

Also...
    TPM-
    Use caution. These Jedi are not to be underestimated.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I think we both pointed that one out before... it's a great one.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Leia says to Han:hold me
    Padme tells anakin :hold me like you did on the lake by naboo

Vader (pre-suit) to Padme: Don't you see? We don't have to run away anymore. I have brought peace to the republic. I am more powerful than the Chancellor, I can overthrow him. And Together you and I can rule the galaxy, make things the way we want them to be.

Vader (as a cyborg) to Luke: Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has forseen this. It is your destiny. Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!

Padme: Obi wan, there's good in him, I know, there is still

Luke: There is still good in him, to Obi wan. He said that to Leia too.

Palpatine: Good......... Good........To both anakin and Luke.

Obi wan: Let her go Anakin!

Tarkin: Enough of this, Vader, release him!

9. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Late reply but I think you are spot on and it was directly intentional. 'The Masks of God', Padme's mask is her face paint literally as well as her decoys. It allows her to be the Campbellian goddess and therefore she would have even more than two faces. Sidious' mask is Palpatine. Anakin's mask is Vader. Those are the three characters elevated above others, they are more archetypal. Amidala as the pure good, Sidious as the pure bad and Anakin as the struggler. The rest of the universe is a pawn in this cosmic game. Until, Luke and Leia grow up and Luke takes off on a hero's journey like Perseus.

I also think the many comparisons we've found between Amidala and Vader are telling. He was as powerful force for Evil and she was for Good perhaps because he learned to 'rule' from the best.

I would think so. Its been my suspicion that both Skywalker twins had the same force potential (balanced) but used it in different ways. Leia and her visual memory, Luke and his audio memory. Leia saw everything, Luke heard everything which gives him the unconscious conviction that Anakin could be saved.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's a very basic -- but quite cool -- connection between trilogies and personas:

TPM
    ANAKIN: Are you an angel?

TESB
    VADER: I am your father.

- From question to statement.
    - From wife to son.
    - From a position of powerlessness to standing proud and gesturing toward a person whose hand he has just removed.
    - Making a connection, but in the first and second installments of the trilogies respectively.

AND...

Five syllables, count 'em. Just five little syllables. More "phalanges" symbolism. Hand me a HAND, will ya?

The "tenor" of communication is, in essence, the same. Anakin/Vader just says it outright. It's like the guy never really learned the finer touches of language or anything...

"I don't like sand..." Oh, wait!

11. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I dont know if this was posted before, but to me they seem to mirror each other:

TPM:
    ANAKIN: (to Qui-Gon after he gets on the spaceship after fighting Maul) What are we going to do about it?

ROTS:
    YOUNGLING: Master Skywalker, there are too many of them. What are we going to do?

Both blond kids asking a jedi master for guidance, with very different results. Both naive and innocent. For some reason i always envisioned that when Anakin kills the young kid he's destroying what's left of his innocence. It's a turning point, he can never go back after that, even if he started that path in AOTC after slaughtering the tusken. He could justify the tusken killings to himself due to his anger for them killing his mother... but what had the younglings done to him? nothing. There was no justifying that to the part of him that was good.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  12. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    LUKE: You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookiee to me.

JABBA: (post-Rancor) Bring me Captain Solo and the Wookiee. They will all suffer for this outrage.

Luke takes the long way.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but just in case -

Vader in TESB: "You have controlled your fear. Now release your anger! Only your hate can destroy me!"

Yoda in TPM: "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering..."

14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Don't know if these have been done, but a few came to me watching ROTJ just now...

TPM:
    Anakin (on leaving his mother): I can't do it mom, I just can't do it.
    ROTJ:
    Luke (on Yoda's death): I can't do it R2. I can't go on alone.

ROTS:
    Obi-Wan: He is like my brother. I cannot do it.
    ROTJ:
    Luke: I can't kill my own father.

ROTS:
    Sidious to Anakin: If we work together, I know we can discover the secret.
    ROTJ:
    Sidious to Vader: Only together, can we turn him to the darkside of the force.

Both Yoda (to Luke) and The Emperor (to Vader) comment that Luke will confront Vader later in the movie.

Darth Dominikkus and bstnsx704 like this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is probably on here, but one of my favorite mirror rooms:

Leia: "He's got to follow his own path. No one can choose it for him."

Qui-Gon: "This path has been placed before you, Ani. The choice to take it is yours alone." (or was it Shmi who said this?)

Padme: "Anakin. You're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow!"

16. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I'm pretty sure Luke says this to R2 in ESB when Luke crash lands on Degobah.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013