main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lines from the Saga that mirror each other

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Feb 28, 2011.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ROTS-
    SIDIOUS
    The end of the war is near general.
    GRIEVOUS
    But the loss of Count Dooku?
    SIDIOUS
    His death was a necessary loss. Soon I will have a new apprentice... one far younger and more powerful.

ROTJ-
    SIDIOUS
    It is of no concern. Soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us!

Maybe I don't have to add anything , but references to the end of the Seperatists and the end of the Rebellion. Sidious assumes that the Rebels will fail as the Seperatists do, and that Luke will be turned similarly to Anakin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTS-
    OBI-WAN
    Always on the move.
    ANH-
    OBI-WAN
    Quickly, son...they're on the move.

Possibly...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One I did before:
    ROTS-
    OBI-WAN
    Well have you noticed the shields are still up?

ROTJ-
    LANDO
    Break off the attack! The shield is still up.

Once inside the respective ships Anakin and Luke duel the Sith that took their arm in the previous movie. Many similarities in these scenes, but with the opposite outcome, of course Anakin kills Dooku where Luke refuses to kill Vader.
    Also the last space battle of each trilogy, and where the Star Destroyers in ROTJ keep the Rebels from escaping, the Republic equivalent prevent the Seperatists from fleeing Coruscant.
    EDIT:
    And did anyone else notice that as Anakin gains the upperhand on Dooku, the Republic begins winning the battle viewable through the windows? Strengthening the future Empire perhaps?
    One more thing... I like the way the Invisble Hand's hangar doors slam shut after the shield is destroyed. I'm probably imagining things, but could this be symbolic of the fact that the Jedi shouldn't be there? An omen? Sidious is waiting for them inside to work on Anakin's fall...

2. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Has everyone run out of ideas? This is a good thread, I don't want it to end...

ROTS-
    SIDIOUS
    Know the power of the dark side.
    ROTJ-
    VADER
    You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master.

3. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Have been short on time but I will be back soon hopefully...

4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Cool, it'll be good to hear from u

5. Skytrotter

Skytrotter Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2011
    I think these are pretty obvious...

ROTS
    Padme Amidala (referring to Anakin Skywalker): Obi Wan... there's good in him... I know... I know there's... Still...

ROTJ
    Luke Skywalker (to Obi-Wan Kenobi): There is still good in him.

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    A small one...
    TPM-
    SIDIOUS
    I'm sending my apprentice, Darth Maul, to join you.
    RUNE
    A Sith, here?

ROTS-
    NUTE GUNRAY
    The plan has gone as you had promised, My Lord.
    SIDIOUS
    You have done well, Viceroy. When my new apprentice, Darth Vader, arrives, he will take care of you.

You can see why Nute accepted Vader's arrival; he has prior experience with Maul.

7. Rishi123456789

Rishi123456789 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2011
    I'm not sure if this dialogue parallel has already been posted, but either way, I'll post it anyway. In Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith, Obi-Wan Kenobi throws away the blaster that he used to kill General Grievous and says "So uncivilised!" while in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Obi-Wan Kenobi describes what a lightsaber is to Luke by saying "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilised age."

8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes that's quite an obvious one, and it has been mentioned that the moment a Jedi uses a blaster signifies the end of a more civilised age. You could also say that about Grievous, a non force-user, wielding lightsabers.

This one is not so much a dialogue mirror, but I think it fits here.

ANH
    C-3PO
    That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here.

It's a good line in its original context, but I see a similarity in this comment and the "look of damage" when the Republic becomes the Empire. On the surface (for example with the Senate) there is still the illusion of peace and prosperity. The Republic is corrupted at the core, but with little damage done to it's exterior image.
    Another possible comparison, is Vader's appearance with Padme, pre-suited. The scene where Anakin comes to check on Padme and the baby after the Temple raid, he doesn't look damaged on the surface, but beneath that he isn't the same person.

Thoughts?

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I've long thought the line is begging to be applied to those situations, absolutely. It does also partially rhyme with a line by Shmi in TPM: "The Republic doesn't exist out here." One reason the damage "doesn't look as bad" is because, arguably, it isn't that bad; it's only as bad as your personal obsessing makes it. Therefore, you could also apply Threepio's line to Anakin, let's say, who feels he has no choice but to remain under the Emperor until Luke allows him to see the simplicity of the truth. You could also apply that line in deeper ways still. Consider the clone army in AOTC. When Obi-Wan is touring, all the spoils are laid on; he literally gets a guided tour, by the chief rulers of the planet. And their calm boasting, combined with the eerie cleanliness of the facility, and the slick blending of CG and practical effects, suggests, on the surface, that nothing untoward is going on, if you just allow the imagery and dialogue to glide by. But clearly, when looking at it more substantively, something very wrong is at work here. Yet from Obi's vantage point, whatever reservations he has pale into insignificance next to the horror he's actually witnessing and being an accomplice to. Always in Star Wars... appearance versus reality.

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Have you posted on this before? I may have subconsciously ripped you off. [face_blush]:p

True, and the Kaminoans seem to have no idea what they are helping come into fruition themselves.

There are a lot of moments like this in Star Wars, particularly in the prequels. Rescuing the Chancellor in ROTS for example. And the cloak of the Republic's victories over the Seperatists only strengthening the future Empire. Maybe I'm slightly missing the point, but I think an overlooked presence in the prequels is appearance versus reality as you have said. I'm not sure how to explain, but in the opening scenes of ROTS for example, something seems a little... off. Everything is an illusion, if you catch my drift.

11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't know if this one has been mentioned before, but I just noticed it while watching Attack of the Clones.

In TPM, Sio Bibble: "A communications disruption can mean only one thing?invasion."

In AOTC, Poggle: "Our communications have been jammed."

I found it significant given that in both situations it is the aggressor who is interfering with the communications system and that both eventually pay for their offensive actions. It segues well into Yoda's line in ESB that a Jedi should use the Force "only for defense, never for attack," which is a lesson he learned the hard way through the Clones Wars. Just thought it was an interesting parallel.

12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, it has been mentioned. Feels intentional to me.

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I was just thinking about this link with revelations.

TPM-
    AMIDALA: We wish to form an alliance...

Suddenly, PADME steps forward.

PADME: Your Honor...

ARTOO whistles a quiet "uh oh."

BOSS NASS: Whosa dis?

PADME: I am Queen Amidala (points to Queen) This is my decoy... my protection... my loyal bodyguard.

ANAKIN is stunned. OBI-WAN and QUI-GON give each other a knowing look.

PADME: ...I am sorry for my deception, but under the circumstances it has become necessary to protect myself.

ROTS-
    PALPATINE: Let me help you to know the subtleties of the Force.

They walk into the hallway.

ANAKIN: How do you know the ways of the Force?

PALPATINE: My mentor taught me everything about the Force . . . even the nature of the dark side.

They stop.

ANAKIN: You know the dark side?!?

PALPATINE: Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force.
    Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death.

ANAKIN: What did you say?

PALPATINE: Use my knowledge, I beg you...

ANAKIN: You're the Sith Lord!

ANAKIN ignites his lightsaber.

PALPATINE: I know what has been troubling you... Listen to me. Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi Council! Ever since I've known you, you've been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi... a life of significance, of conscience.

PALPATINE: Are you going to kill me?

ANAKIN: I would certainly like to.

PALPATINE: I know you would. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger

ESB-
    VADER: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet
    realize your importance. You have only begun to discover you power.
    Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength,
    we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

LUKE: I'll never join you!

VADER: If you only knew the power of the dark side. Obi-Wan never told
    you what happened to your father.

LUKE: He told me enough! He told me you killed him.

VADER: No. I am your father.

Shocked, Luke looks at Vader in utter disbelief.

LUKE: No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!

VADER: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

LUKE: No! No! No!

VADER: Luke. You can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is
    your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son.
    Come with me. It's the only way.

Thoughts?

EDIT- Add to that the revelation of Leia as Luke's sister in ROTJ

13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Watching ANH, I came across a couple.

ANH-
    VADER: Leave that to me.

OBI-WAN: Leave that to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A quite obvious one;

TPM-
    QUI-GON: "Just relax, the Force will guide us..."
    JAR JAR: "Ooooh, maxibig..."da Force"...Wellen, dat smells stinkowiff."

ANH-
    LUKE: "You don't believe in the Force, do you?"
    HAN: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."
    Ben smiles quietly
    HAN: "It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

I think it's interesting that Obi-Wan looks offended in TPM, whereas in ANH he has a knowing smile. You could say he's used to it.

14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I think Wolvo posted something similar to this.

AOTC-

ANAKIN: The shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things. I'm good at fixing things... always
    was. But I couldn't... (stops working, tears in his eyes) Why did she have to die? Why couldn't I save her? I know I
    could have!

PADMÉ: Sometimes there are things no one can fix. You're not all-powerful, Annie.

ANH-

OBI-WAN
    There's nothing you could have done, Luke, had you been there. You'd have been killed, too, and the droids would be in the hands of the Empire.

ANH-

LUKE
    I can't believe he's gone.
    LEIA
    There wasn't anything you could have done.

ROTJ-

VADER
    Luke, help me take this mask off.
    LUKE
    But you'll die.
    VADER
    Nothing can stop that now. Just for once... let me look on you with my own eyes.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Anakin in ROTS (to Obi-Wan near the end of their duel): "You underestimate my power!"

Luke in ROTJ (to Jabba at Jabba's palace): "Nevertheless, I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this, or be destroyed. It's your choice. But I warn you not to underestimate my powers."

16. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Vader in ROTJ

"You underestimate the power of the darkside"

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    A few more:

ROTS-

Obi-Wan: Be careful of your friend Palpatine.

Palpatine: Be careful of the Jedi Anakin.

"The Jedi and the Sith are similar in almost every way." Also, Anakin is pulled between two loyalties.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTS-
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: It can't possibly be as bad as all that.
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: Well there I agree with you. In fact, I could do with a tune-up myself.

ESB-
    C3PO: Artoo! Artoo! Where have you been?
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: Well, at least your still in one piece! Look what happened to me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTS-
    Clone Pilot: They're all over me. Get them off my...(cuts out to static)

ESB-

Announcer: (over loudspeaker) Imperial troops have entered the base, Imperial trops have...(cuts out to static)

18. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Kenobi "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

Sidious "Strike me down with all your hatred, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete"

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Nice one. I assume you are implying that Luke, as the striker, would turn by killing him, as Vader is obviously a Sith when he strikes down Kenobi? I'm not sure if I agree that it would turn Luke, however.
    Also, both Obi-Wan and Sidious are talking about a symbolic strike that echoes repercussions far greater than it would seem a simple lightsaber blow to represent.

20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    ROTS

Chewbacca: AARRFF RAARRFF ARRF

ANH

Chewbacca: AARRFF RARAFARAFF ARRFAARR

Subtle differences but very telling.

....what? [face_worried]

21. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    ROTS-
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: It can't possibly be as bad as all that.
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: Well there I agree with you. In fact, I could do with a tune-up myself.

ESB-
    C3PO: Artoo! Artoo! Where have you been?
    R2 beeps
    C-3PO: Well, at least your still in one piece! Look what happened to me!

HA! I love it! C-3PO is always very self-oriented.

Another good one, not to quote directly from the films, would be Threepio's insistence that he and Artoo stay on Padme's ship, and on Endor "I have decided that we should stay here." Boldness, italics, and underline mine.

22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Obi-Wan repeats this to his foes in ROTS:

"You won't get away this time, Dooku."

He is right on this occasion. But later-

Grievous: "Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection."
    Obi-Wan: "Not this time. And this time, you won't escape."

It seems like a catch phrase or something. Grievous does escape this time though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AOTC-
    OBI-WAN: Don't let your personal feelings get in the way.
    (to the pilot) Follow that speeder.
    ANAKIN: (to pilot) Lower the ship!
    OBI-WAN: Anakin, I can't take DOOKU alone. I need you. If we catch him we can end this war right now. We have a job
    to do.

ANAKIN: I don't care. (to the pilot) Put the ship down.
    OBI-WAN: You'll be expelled from the Jedi Order.
    ANAKIN: I can't leave her!
    OBI-WAN: Come to your senses. What do you think Padmé would
    do if she were in your position?
    ANAKIN: (resigned) She would do her duty.

ROTS-
    ANAKIN: Move to the right so I can get a clear shot at them.
    OBI-WAN: The mission. Get to the Command Ship. Get the Chancellor! I'm running out of tricks here.

Both scenes involve Anakin's attachment interfering with his duty. He wants to break off the pursuit of Dooku to help Padme, and is again trying to help Obi-Wan over getting to Dooku.
    Ironically, the actual mission, rescuing the Chancellor, is somewhat based around his attachment to Palpatine.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TPM
    Nute: This is getting out of hand... now there are two of them.
    Rune: We should not have made this bargain.

TESB
    Lando: This deal is getting worse all the time.

-------------------

TPM
    Padme: You're a slave?
    Anakin: I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!

ROTJ
    Luke: I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
    Vader: That name no longer has any meaning for me.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but this one came to my mind:

TPM
    ---
    OBI-WAN : I have a bad feeling about this.
    QUI-GON : I don't sense anything.

ROTJ
    ----
    VADER: I have felt him, my Master.
    EMPEROR: Strange, that I have not.

We know from the discussion of Mace and Yoda in AOTC that their ability to use the Force has diminished and one could argue that it started to diminish during the events of TPM, but they didn't realize it yet. I would attribute this to Maul, Dooku and Sidious's influx of activity.

In ROTJ, I'm sure we all have interpreted that Vader feels Luke because of their connection as father and son, but maybe Vader feels him and the Emperor does not because the Emperor's ability to use the Force is beginning to diminish because of Luke (and the good still in Anakin).

25. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    No, that has NOT been mentioned before. At least I don't think so. Very perceptive!