main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lines / Sequences in the OT given new meaning after ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by crouchingjedi1, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Ben Kenobi: "Anakin was seduced by the darkside, he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader."

2. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    I too keep returning to this thread!

At the end of ROTS we hear Luke's theme--then in ANH we hear the theme again when we first see the adult Luke at the farm.

Same's true with Leia's theme. All of sudden those two themes become a great character introduction.

3. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    LEIA: Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?

4. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    EPISODE IV

FADE IN

1. EXT. SPACE

... The awesome yellow planet of Tatooine emerges from a total eclipse. A tiny silver spacecraft races into view, followed by a giant Imperial starship. ...

For years this has been cool for the special effect alone. It had/has a simple draw-droppingly "cool" feel for years. But now it's a story-telling point. Because the "tiny silver spacecraft"--the Tantive--is actually in Episode III, but the "giant Imperial starship" isn't quite, the shot now shows the passage of time. Gone are the similar, but smaller, Republic capital ships, replaced by this huge, more sterile version.

5. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    The delivery of Luke to Obi-Wan by Tusken Raiders is all the more poignant since Obi-Wan started losing Anakin at the hands of the Tusken Raiders.

6. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    This might have been mentioned, but I appreciated Yoda in ESB when I watched it today. You could tell that his reluctance to train Luke stemed from his failure with Anakin/Palpy. Lucas did something right with the PT. :eek:

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

7. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    In ANH, the scene in Obi-Wan's house is even more affecting than it was before the PT. Before, you felt bad for Luke because you can tell just how bad he wants to find out about his father. Now, it's effect is multiplied because we know his father and mother, and we know how he became an orphan.

There's also a ltlle moment when Obi-Wan gives Luke Anakin's lightsaber. I'm doing this from memory, so I could be wrong:

Luke: What's that?
    R2D2 gives off a set of beeps and whistles. (I imagined R2 said, "Hey, that's Anakin's lightsaber!!)

Obi-Wan: It was your father's lightsaber...

8. QuiGon06

QuiGon06 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    The biggest line/sequence for me was when Vader says "When I left you I was but to burn now I am the master" to Obi-wan....thatwas huge i thought

9. Master_Boucks

Master_Boucks Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2005
    Just watched ESB last nite and boy is that movie awesome after ROTS. Still ranks as #1 for me.

The entire scene with Luke and Yoda on Dagobah is brilliant, all of it makes perfect sense. The fact that Vader places Leia and Han in pain without asking them anything is also brilliant as he appeals to Luke in the force.

You can really see Anakin under the suit in every scene now also with his traits regarding finding Luke really paralleling those of his attachment to Padme.

I also love the fact of how Luke runs to Cloud City and the entire scene when Yoda and Obi-Wan try to talk him out of it. It's brilliant and you can almost see Anakin jumping into that X-Wing.

10. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Qui-Gon06 - I thought the line was "When I left you I was but the learner now I am the master."

11. Still_Being_Digested

Still_Being_Digested Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Whizkid is correct.

12. skywalker02

skywalker02 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    Ben's smile and glance at Luke, then Vader, meant to me that finally father and son were in each other's presence, and he needed to sacrifice himself to help Luke escape.

It's like, "There's your son. Now is the time for me to pass on, until we meet again, Anakin."

ooooh, nice... that gives me chills now watching it.. LOVE IT!

13. solo19

solo19 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Considering the hate Anakin had for Obiwan in ROTS it is worth noting that in ROTJ Vader gives him an indirect compliment when by telling Luke "obiwan has taught you well" I think Vader says something similiar to that in ESB as well just before he tells Luke to release his anger, only your hatred can destroy me etc.. Kindof cool he shows Obiwan at least a grain of respect and gratitude I think.

Also when luke tries to turn vader back the tone in his voice is not hateful when he says "obiwan once thought as you do" I'm still trying to figure when obiwan thought that.

14. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Not sure if this has been mentioned...but I think the scene between Luke and Vader on Endor has been greatly enhanced by some of the lines from Padme to Anakin on Mustafar.

As Padme is pleading with Anakin to turn away from his dark path, she says the following:

"Come away with me. Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can."

Anakin, of course, doesn't listen to her...and suffers even more because of this.

Jump ahead in time by twenty-three years, and we get to the Luke and Vader convo on Endor, in a very similar scene to the Mustafar scene. Luke is pleading with his father to come back with him and leave everything else behind...

"It is...too late for me, son."

The Mustafar scene has added weight to this line...as it is too late for Anakin...at least in his own mind. Had he listened to Padme, things would've been much, much different. He didn't...and suffered the consequences of that. Hence, it was "too late". He was in far too deep at this point.

15. solo19

May 22, 2005
    I think Yoda's words say it best
    "once you start down the dark path, forever will it rule your destiny, consume you it will!

I think that it was too late even before Padme's plea. I mean you can' t just say "Oh well, guess I don't want to do this after all...." AFTER YOU JUST MURDERED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE!

Anakin dying right after he turned back was the only way to go since he'd be facing some serious retribution had he lived.

16. solo19

May 22, 2005
    Dooku: "Sense great fear in you skywalker. You have hate, you have anger, but you don't use them."

It seems strange that Obiwan and Yoda don't pick up on this.

Another thing, when Palps tells Anakin to leave kenobi a couple of times I'd think that Anakin would figure out he's evil.

17. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    This one's probably been said long ago, but it's one of my favorite lines, post-ROTS
    EPISODE V

ADMIRAL PIETT
    Bounty hunters! We don't need their scum!
    [i]Above him, Vader continues to talk directly to BOBA FETT and other assembled Bounty Hunters[/i]

The line's meaning has completely changed in the wake of the PT, swinging 180º from straight serious to ironically amusing.

18. STARKILLER1974

STARKILLER1974 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    There's your son AND your daughter!

19. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    Actually this is from TPM--but young Anakin says he's not afraid--and later Luke in ESB says he is not afraid.

Yoda's reply, "you will be, you will be," is much darker now having seen Anakin's fall.

I still believe that Yoda's seeming reluctance to train Luke in ESB is a test--which Luke almost fails. He is too much like his father.

20. JLK7299

JLK7299 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    Seen RoTS 4 times and finally watched the OT this weekend, here are my initial reactions:

-No Yoda or Emperor in ANH
    -3PO is hilarious knowing now that he has had his memory wiped
    -this may sound weird but I think every hairdo you see on Leia, we will also see on Padme in the past
    -"No, there is another"---wasnt sure before (debated it in my own) but now I think Yoda was referring to Anakin
    -#1- Obi Wan's facial expressions when telling Luke about the past. You can see his pain. This also makes me appreciate Ewan's acting even more in the PT. He really makes you think he is a young Alec Guiness playing a young Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kind of like DeNiro in Godfather 2.

21. dL-Fett

dL-Fett Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    i watched the OT yesterday and i was personally laughing my ass off during the first encounter with yoda on dagobah... its hilarious to see yoda as a crazy old man from being on that planet all those years.
    this may seem far fetched but also it seems yoda is talking to other people when he is talking to luke... answering their questions... i dont remember any of the quotes but they could have possibly been deceased jedi? or maybe the younglings since it seems he's talking to children

22. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I noticed something new the other day...when Obi-Wan gives Luke Anakin's lightsaber and he first ignites it...you figure that's probably the first time it's ever snap-hissed to life since that fateful duel...

23. crouchingjedi1

crouchingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    I noticed something new the other day...when Obi-Wan gives Luke Anakin's lightsaber and he first ignites it...you figure that's probably the first time it's ever snap-hissed to life since that fateful duel...

Very nice observation. I will never look at that scene the same way again.

I was wondering--someone brought up bounty hunters in ESB. I wonder if Vaderkin thinks of the AOTC era when he sees Boba Fett. I guess he never has direct contact with Jango but I'm sure between AOTC and ROTS during life-save #6.5 or something he probably learns the story of Jango and Boba Fett from Obi-Wan.

His knowledge that Fett was after Padme had to make Vader think about her when working with Boba Fett.

24. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    I have some small ones:

I am a huge freak for the SW Radio Dramas, and I highly recommend them. They make traffic, chores, and everything else a lot more pleasant--Star Wars on the go! There are a couple of minor parallels there to the PT that I've heard so far.

In the ROTJ radio drama, when Luke uses the force to float Threepio around the Ewok camp, Han wonders, "I wonder if he can do that with dice." It reminded me of TPM where Qui Gon manipulates the "chance cube" to gamble for the freedom of young Anakin. +

Also in the ROTJ Radio Drama, when Han is thrown into a jail cell with Chewy after having been released from the carbonite, Boba Fett pays a visit. Han says to Fett, "I'm gonna rip off your helmet with your head in it!" This reminded me of Jango's AOTC death scene--and gives Han's words a bit more sting.

In ROTS, when Anakin releases Palpatine from his staged capitivity, he uses the force to release the binders that hold Palpatine to his chair--the classic Sidious seat of power that we all know and love! Sidious makes a similar move--whilst sitting in a similar chair--in both the radio drama and film versions of ROTJ when he releases the binders from Luke's hands with the force.

I am so impressed with how well Lucas interwove all of the films with ROTS and in some really subtle ways that only very dedicated fans would get!

25. jedi_driver

jedi_driver Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    At the end of ROTS, Padme still appears VERY pregnant during the funeral. Could this not have been part of the plot to conceal Luke and Leah from the emperor?

I'm pretty sure someone (Yoda?) suggests to show the world (i.e. Vader & Co) that Padmé and the child died. Makes sense considering that Vader indeed thought both had died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.