main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Lining Up For Episode II - Looking Ahead

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Grand Moff Joker, Feb 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Greetings, all.

I know it's still a long way off, but I'm looking ahead to EP2 and wondered how the "official" lines would be handled next time. More specifically, I'm interested in ideas you guys have for the DFW FanForce's involvement and role. I lived in Nashville when TPM came out and led the Countingdown.Com's effort there, so I'm not really aware of how things went here and how that will influence the line for EP2.

So do you think there will be just one 'official' FanForce line in DFW for EP2? My thinking is this.... I know we all live in the Metroplex, but we're really spread out. If the official line/theater is in Plano, for example, that is seriously inconvenient for those of us who live in Fort Worth. Even if the line is somewhere in Arlington, that means that people from the far sides of both Dallas and Fort Worth would have to make a good trip. So would/could the DFW FanForce sponsor multiple lines? Maybe a "D" Group and a "FW" Group, both working together to coordinate efforts but actually lining up at different theaters? Some of my friends who were here when TPM came out said there was a different line at the AMC Palace Theater in downtown Fort Worth that was evidently not affiliated with the official line you guys had through Countingdown.Com, and they said there were actually a lot of people there. That makes sense, I guess, since both TCU and the SW Theological Seminary are nearby, and a bulk of the lines were formed by college-aged people.

Anyway, again, all this is a long way off... but it is kinda fun to start thinking about it now. What do you all think?

2. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    This is actually something that we talked about at the last DFWFF meeting. Our line will take place at the UA Galaxy 9 (the same site as Ep I, which I am sad that I missed, and I lived right down the friggin' street), but I personally think that it would be cool if we had people that wanted to line up at other locations to represent DFWFF across the Metroplex.

What do you think, o wise and Old Jedi? You ARE our learless feeder.

3. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    LOL, OBK! It would be great if we could raise the infrastructure to support multiple countdown camps. Is there a theater in FW that would support us/at least not run us off?

4. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    ...whatever.

5. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    ...but seriously :) I can see it now the entire metroplex overcome by DFW FF campsites.

Excellent my plans are forming up nicely, since I've invested heavily in Mud Inc. and Storms Ltd.,

6. Grand Moff Joker

Oct 13, 1999
    Well, perhaps the AMC Palace in downtown Fort Worth might be a good site for a FW-based FanForce satellite line. Like I said before, there was evidently quite a line group there for TPM, even though nobody was affiliated with Countingdown.Com or any of the other "official" lineup efforts.

The Palace is in a great location in downtown Fort Worth. It's within walking distance of many restaurants and stores (would definitely come in handy during an extended line - not to mention that it's right across the street from the City Center Tower, where I work - LOL). The problems I see with a line there are a couple of things. First, the only place to "camp" would be the sidewalk. And being downtown, those are very high-traffic sidewalks, so that could cause problems with officials. Also, there's no marquee overhang or awning of any kind to protect fans from the elements, so that could be a little rough.

Any of you other FW-based fans have suggestions for another theater that might be suitable for a Fort Worth satellite line?

7. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, I can speak as a frequent movie-goer, there is no better place in the DFW area to see movies at than the Galaxy. It's worth the trip, as many of our members did on a daily basis, just to go see movies there, and especially Episode I.

Naturally, people can go wherever they please, but the official theater for Star Wars is, has been, and always will be the Galaxy in Garland. We've got a great relationship with the management, and it still sounds better than anywhere else in the DFW area, not to mention the biggest screens in Texas.

If you ask me, multiple lines just isn't worth the trouble. I know it's far for some people, and even I have to drive a ways to get there, but it's more than worth the trip. In fact, that was one of the things that made the first line so special---that we came from all over the metroplex because the theater really is the best one.

That's where I'm setting up my tent for Episode II, anyway.

8. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    what he said.

...........................stone

9. DonnovanSunrider

DonnovanSunrider Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I have to agree with Kurgan and Stone.
    The Galaxy wasn't the focal point of the Line because it was close to the people, it was the focus because it was the best theatre in the Metroplex. I lived about 45 minutes to an hour away from the theatre and never regretted the drive once.
    Besides, when you have the tent set up and you're staying there, the distance really isn't that much of a concern.

Now, just how to I get down there into the line from up here in Wisconsin.... ;-)

10. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    Ill be there

11. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Look it you havent been to the Galaxy then you dont know what you are missing. Im in California right now and there is no telling where Ill end up next. But come E2 I will be in Dallas Behind Sams with my laptop playstation and whatever else I have for entertainment purposes. I too have heavy stock in Mud inc. If I can come half way across the country to see a movie you can come 40 miles. Besides no one else in Texas has the 72 foot screen....!!!!

12. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I live in Arlington. It would be easier for me to go to a Ft Worth line-up.

But..you couldn't pay me to go anywhere else but the Galaxy for Episode II. As a matter of fact there's a strong possibility that I'm moving to Ohio by the end of this year. I've already told my wife that I was coming down to Dallas for Episode II. Not so much for the line-up experience as that I don't want to see Episode II for the first time anywhere else except for the largest screen in Texas and best THX sound you have ever encountered. Nothing even comes close.

13. Grand Moff Joker

Oct 13, 1999
    Well, you guys have me verbally convinced. I think I'll take a little field trip over to the Galaxy sometime and check it out for myself. If it's as great as you're boasting, it ought to do well...

14. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I urge everyone to take a trip to the Galaxy at some point. There aren't many movies out right now that would really make use of the sound system, but as summer gets closer, that'll change.

A good 'test run' would probably be for either Pearl Harbor or The Mummy Returns, both of which come out in May.

When you do go, make sure you see something in either auditorium 5 or 9. They are the giant screens, and have the best sound.

BTW, the trailers and THX trailer don't have the full sound turned on usually. Wait until the feature starts before making an opinion. I guarantee it will not disappoint. =)

15. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Joker - we'll all plan an outing for a good film soon. Maybe we should do a DFW FF showing of "15 Minutes" if the Galaxy gets it. That's the next big one. The Galaxy currently has HANNABLE. The sound for that is absolutely amazing. If you haven't seen it yet check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.