Lining up for the Lucas-Stewart Main Event

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jedi_Lindi, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lindi Jedi Padawan

I'm new to these forums, but with all the great advice about CV I've seen so far on them, I thought previous convention attendees could help me with my first Celebration experience. My biggest question is, how far ahead of time are people going to start lining up for the Lucas-Stewart interview? I'm fully prepared to stay at the CC over night to get into the non-digital stage, but I was hoping to get advice on when to get in line and any other line survival tips (what to bring, where to get coffee [face_coffee], etc.).

Only 8 days to go!!!! :D
  2. Photo-Knight Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm no expert, and I'm hoping those who are will chime in, but here's what I see.

The critical line will be the line to get the wristbands for the live room. The wristbands get handed out starting at 6 AM, I believe, so no doubt there will be people lining up overnight. There are 2500 wristbands available, assuming there are as many wristbands as there are seats in the main room. There are more wristbands available for the other screen rooms. I can't imagine 2500 people will camp out overnight, but hey, we are fans so you never know.

I plan to eyeball the queue area Friday night before I head back to my hotel, then come back soon after to join the line. I don't actually know if that will be good enough, but I'm hoping.

I'm guessing that the actual line for the rooms will be less critical once you have your wristband. I'll be getting in the room line somewhat early, but you'll probably only need to get there super early if you just must have a seat near the front/center.

Have fun, don't stress.
  3. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with everything the above poster said except that he forgot that VIP ticket holders get automatic seats for the live room, so there are 300 less seats available for non VIPs both for the live room and for the event as a whole. Either way, I wouldn't be too worried about it...granted, I wasn't at CIII, but I can't imagine 2,000+ people waiting overnight for this, especially because of Last Tour to Endor the evening after. Also, take into account that while Friday and Sturday probably will be the busiest days of the con, they still won't be full to the brim by a long shot. It's estimated that 30,000+ people will attend over a span of four days, so you only have to worry about people who are going to be there Saturday.
  4. KingTomatoXIII Jedi Knight

Yeah I'm contemplating an overnight camp for this. I've done it three times so far, but not for star wars... (the releases of the 360, wii, and PS3) But I dont know yet, I'm still balancing the pros and cons

If I wait overnight:
    I'll get to be in the same room as George Lucas! :D
    It will be a (hopefully) awesome experience staying up all night with other star wars fans.
    Did I mention getting to see George Lucas?

But:
    I'm going to be wrecked the rest of Saturday if I do.
    I may not even get into the live room, (and watching the broadcast is not worth the wait in my opinion)

If I don't wait overnight:
    I'll be considerably more coherant on Saturday.
    I'd be able to hit all the autograph lines while everyone else (relativly) is distracted.

But:
    I won't get to see George Lucas in person.
    I'd miss out on some overnight camping fun.

So the jury is still out on this for me. I'm trying to get my college roommate to come down with me, so if he's there it'll make waiting overnight much more appealing.
  5. wertyfun Jedi Padawan

I have already camp out before lucas.I didnt in rain and sleet.I will not camp out this year.my friend just show at 6;30 morning and there was still wistbands.lol
  6. j-jawa3 Force Ghost

star 1
    At CIII, people did start lining up (in chairs) about 4 in the afternoon...the day before the scheduled event. The event opened its doors at 8 AM. That meant that there were people in line 16 hours before the event.

I was told to be out there at 11:45 PM. My "number" in line was supposed to be 77. By the time I got out there, I estimate that there were close to a thousand people out in line at the convention center in Indianapolis--in a line that more than likely wrapped around the building! And--this was at 11:45 at night--in driving rain!

By the way, I was NOT number 77 in line.

wertyfun, at which Celebration were you in line, when George Lucas attended, where you got a wristband? We didn't get any in Indianapolis, and we got in anyway.
  7. npgrace Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was also out all night in the rain at CIII waiting for the Lucas panel. I got out there around 12 midnight after the screening of "Return of the Jedi". It was fun talking with other fans all night, but when its 4:30 in the morning, drizzling, and you're in a line wrapped around the Hyatt, time seems to stand still. The last two hours before they brought us inside around 6AM were a long two hours. And then to hear later on that people just walked up to get into the later panels (they had three with Lucas at CIII), and that con staff was actually looking for people to fill the room because a lot of people stayed away expecting a crowd. Well, you can only laugh about it now.

If I try for this panel I might get in line around 6AM, but I don't think I'm going to do the all-nighter again. I'll take my chances that enough people stay away again.
  8. Lostie Jedi Padawan

Hey I'm also knew to the forums and was wondering the same thing. So,do you guys think if i got to the convention center at 5:30 saturday that i could make it to the show?
  9. KissinDigital Jedi Knight

star 1
    Uhm. I hope you mean Friday, cos if you mean Saturday you've well past missed it.

I'll hopefully stop by the line after the mixer but while I camp out for movies, camping out to actually SEE someone oddly isn't in my top things to do.* Hope you guys have an amazing time. xD

*Unless it's say... Karl Urban. [face_love]
  10. Lostie Jedi Padawan

"In total, 7,430 attendees will be able to watch The Main Event at SWCV" So if i come early saturday i'll see 7,430 people in line? Thats pretty extreme
  11. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    If you got there at 5:30am Saturday, you're probably getting a wristband. Of course, if you want to actually get into the main auditorium and not one of the overflow rooms, 5:30 probably isn't going to cut it.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    At C3 the line was pretty decent at 11 PM already, though I got to join some folks who already had a tarp set up. Though I forgot my pass at the hotel that nighthad to go back to the hotel (harder even because the parking garage I was parked in had CLOSED and I couldn't get the car out initially) and get back, only to find the line had been moved to the Hyatt across the street due to tornado warnings, which screwed up the line (there was easily 3 times as many people ahead of us after the line move than before :mad: ).

I had to use my documentary footage to prove I was previously in line with someone to even be allowed into the hotel to find my companions.

So..it's really hard to judge how things will go based on the C3 experience, really. Even if it rains it'll probably be warmer than it was in Indy.

I'm assuming 3am would be a target cut-off for guarenteeing the main room.
  13. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    I believe that things will be a little different this time due to the facility. Reed has an excellent FAQ on their site about this. Waiting outside/overnight might be a bit more difficult than it was in Indy due to the facility and the location, or at the very least, you'll be camping out a lot further away than you did in Indy.

For the record, I got in line in Indy around 5:30am and managed to get in to the first chat with Lucas. The line itself also looked a lot longer than it actually was and unless the place gets swamped at 5:45, I'm pretty sure that one ought to be able to get decent seats without having to wait in line all night.
  14. JediMara77 Chosen One

star 4
    I waited overnight for Lucas at C3. We got in line around 1 am and easily made it into the first show. I knew of people who got in line around 5 - 5:30 am and made it into the first show, too.

Personally, I'm planning to get to the convention center around 5. I did the overnight thing once before and don't care to do it again (especially since I'll be by myself). If I don't get in, oh well - I'll go to Denny's and have breakfast before going back to get a wristband for the overflow room!
  15. DieWompRatDie RSA: SouthWest US

Manager
    star 4
    What time will you/RMFF be there? Way too early?

16. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't have to wait in line, but am getting a wristband delivered to me.
    for the digital stage:(
    I will, however, not give up trying to get one for The Celebration stage.!!!
  17. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    I guess I've decided I will not overnight it for this as much as I'd like to be in the main room. I plan on swinging by after a few hours of sleep. If I wake in bed and decide it's not worth it, it's back to dreamland.
  18. DragonLove76 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Are there any parties going on TONIGHT??? I may sleep early tonight, who knows.

I am trying to not get up at 6am, if I do, can I get the wristband and come back to hotel? I like to party somewhere if I am invited to some. :D

edit: Oh, fan mixer at Valencia
  19. chewieb Jedi Padawan

I waited at c3 and it wasnt too bad just rainy but you could have walked into the second show
  20. chewieb Jedi Padawan

looks like its in like 5 rooms so you wont miss it only difference you cant ask questions definite see the maker
  21. DLoSith Force Ghost

star 1
    We're lining up for Lucas around 4am - BUT - does anyone know where the line actually starts? We looked at the front of the building as we left at 10pm, and didn't see a line....
  22. MajinKaze Jedi Knight

star 1
    I saw people starting to line up by the main doors outside.
  23. MattDoc Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've seen on twitter that people are lining up now. Someone said something about the 4th floor like they are actually inside.
  24. Plagious Jedi Knight

star 1
    The mixer party is going on till 12:00. I would guess after that they will kick people out of the convention center. Those waiting inside may be in for a surprise.
  25. DragonLove76 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Like I posted in other thread..

Yeah, I have a feeling anyone get there before 7am-8am will NOT miss this.

At C3 when I remember he was there, I got to the line around 5:30 I believe (But it was kinda raining/drizzling though which was definitely a factor)

Today the weather is good, no rain, but there is also total of 6 big rooms to see this.

So, unless you have to be in Chapin theater seeing him live, I sincerely doubt that all of these 6 rooms will be filled if you get there before 8am. Even way after 8am, you may still have a chance to see him in one of the other rooms.

Seeing him live is great and all, but is it really that more important than sleep? Ha, that's the important question!

Ok, but I suppose if you are there to social, like talking to your friends, cool strangers while waiting, it's definitely worth the experience.

I LOVE to social, so in a while I am gonna go join them and chat up. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.