main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lining up for the Lucas-Stewart Main Event

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jedi_Lindi, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    5:30- they have finally consolidated the line. Half an hour to go before I can get out of here and shower

2. Jedi_Master_Kat

Jedi_Master_Kat Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    I lined up at 11:30 and was lucky enough to meet some pretty awesome people in line. Sadly once they let you in and gave you your wristband they just lined us up in another staging area but it was definitely worth it. I've been up for over 36 hours straight at this time (thanks to an early start on Thursday and a trip to the ER on Friday) and I've still got the Last Tour to Endor left for today.

Sleep is for the weak!

3. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    It was totally worth it. I'm running on 1.5 hrs sleep in a bed with some weak concrete/carpet half snoozing thrown in. Man am I going to crash later.

4. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Same here. I meant to go back to the hotel and sleep a couple of hours after the "A New Hope" screening, but then out of curiosity, after midnight, I drove back down to the convention center and noticed lots of people already camped in front. I went back to the hotel, quickly gathered some stuff that unfortunately did not include a pillow, and went back for a place in line by 1:30 and some pizza from a delivery driver selling slices from his car.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I was about to buy all the pizza that guy had on him when the Domino's I had ordered more than an hour back finally showed up. Thought I was going to half to chew my own hand off.

6. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    I'm glad I didn't waste my time Saturday morning. I was able to get Carrie Fisher's and Mark Hamill's autographs instead (not to mention some extra sleep). I caught the rebroadcast on Sunday when Carrie Fisher canceled her panel and she showed up for a few minutes before they played the interview.

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I only waited about 5 minutes to get in, got great seats too, but to be fair I had the Jedi Master VIP badge so that helped ;) And, really, it did seem like about 7 or 8 minutes because I was so excited for the interview those 5 minutes really crawled!

Yeah, I have to say, that VIP package really was worth it. At first, some people were skeptical, but it wasn't even close. I'd have paid twice the price not to wait in any lines and to have some cool meet and greets. It could have been handled even better, but the Lucas event was a dream, they did a great job with that. I was fourth row just behind Dave Filloni (first row) and Seth Green (first row), Lucas's kids (second row), and some other LFL people in the first several rows. It was an incredible view, so cool seeing Lucas that close, and I got a great night's sleep too! I slept like a baby until about 9 a.m. that day, best night of sleep I got during the whole convention. I think my friend and I showed up around 10:25.

8. Jedi_Master_Kat

Sep 17, 2002
    I definitely remember the pizza guy but it was Pizza Hut when I saw him. The guys behind us went ahead and bought the entire pie but I had stopped and loaded up on snacks before we got to the convention center. After they ate their pizza they decided to smoke some cigars. . . IN line.

I totally would have paid for the VIP badges but unfortunately they were outta my price range. Definitely going to look into it for VI tho.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Had so much of a blast lining up... it took a toll on me, but it was worth it.

10. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Lucas Session #2...(Friday)

Wanted to go to the fan mixer, but decided to try to get some sleep before camping out, in front of the Convention Center. Got little sleep; was up at 1 AM--got ready and walked over to the Convention Center.

I got there at 1:25 AM--to see 700-1000 people already lined up! Most were awake; talking, singing, making ballon hats; sleeping in tents and watching Star Wars movies. Some were already asleep--on the pavement like carcasses, or victims of an unholy event!!! :)

I came; I sat; I laid like a carcass, trying to sleep (Impossible!!!) But, fellow fans were precious, and welcome--they were most careful and considerate, trying not to step on others' property--or bodies. I was having fun again, under adverse circumstances (hot and muggy).

Now, it's about 4 AM. Everybody up! We lined up; bracelets were given out at the door; we went in, and resumed camping in a large hall. We all talked, played and slept as best as possible--still on the floor. Two guys started doing acrobatics; some fans started to don their costumes. More balloon art.

And, now--finally, the time was upon us. Everybody up--once again!! We ran up the ramp, lined up and entered into the room, where comfy chairs awaited.

I noted that all of the VIP seats were not filled.

A DJ starts playing; music and games began. The MC came out to encourage us. Fans were getting PUMPED.

George is announced! Cheering and applause; people jump up in WAVES!

Finally, everyone is seated. The wait has ended! I'm exhausted, as many of us are. Did anyone get ANY sleep at all Saturday? Was it worth it, despite the pain of "carcassing" about? YES

11. Jedi_Master_Kat

Sep 17, 2002
    I noticed that once they let us into the convention center we looked like a refugee camp. Refugees with iPods & laptops but still.

12. chucknotsteve

chucknotsteve Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2010
    Didn't line up for the main event but when peering through the windows on Saturday morning, seriously you guys looked BEAT. but a good, hopeful tiredness. SO many people with sleepingbags, movies, etc... I loved it.

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I only saw the aftermath of that guy. He didn't even put the empty cartons in the trash.

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    ...and threw their soda cans in the bushes. [face_plain]

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Waits for DieWompRatDie to throw in his quote about Star Wars fans.[face_coffee]

16. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    When did they give out the "I camped overnight..." buttons? I showed up around 1 AM, a little out of focus, and didn't really "wake up" until around 4. Somebody was nice enough to put one of those Death Star/orange fans on my sleeping body. I also saw a video on Youtube where it looked like a celeb was signing autographs in line... What did I miss?

17. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Next time we need to use this board to know who's in line and who's not. I missed the chance to meet some of you that Ive seen on here for years.

18. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000

They gave the buttons out pretty early into the night, like maybe midnight, but they ran out before they got to me #450 by someone's count. Three of the voice actors from the clone wars cartoon came out about 1:30-2:30ish. i got some videos of them, and we got them to record various stuff in their character voices. this pretty much happened on the side of the line furthest from the convention center wall.

yeah, kiki, i think a jc camp would have been neat. the only way you can make it through these line things is with someone else to hold your spot. special thanks to you and barriss for that btw

:tape

duct tape rules!

19. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Dude, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have seen the main event if I hadn't run into you, SLG and BC after pretty much stepping right out of the cab I caught from the airport. Will of the force baby!

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I was at #250 we believe, which is where the t-shirts ran out. And by that I mean, they gave me the very last t-shirt, which I in turn gave to a girl behind me that could actually fit it. But they were able to get beyond there with the pins, at least.

And it would, indeed, have been neat to see how many people from the JC were somewhere in that line.

21. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I wasn't too far from you then, I was around 230 in line. I got the button and the teeshirt, but it was a little bit of a let down, because they are selling the exact same shirts on shopstarwars.com right now, and they gave out the exact same buttons to the first people in line on Thursday too. The poster they gave out to the early birds on Friday were pretty cool as well.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, the reward was that we got a free shirt, not an exclusive one. And honestly, the point of the lining up is to get in first, so I don't worry about if I get any other stuff out of the deal.

23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Lol!

Thanks again for letting me guys tag along with you to Denny's. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.