main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Links in titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by merlin, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    Hey there. I was wondering if FanForce CRs and Officers with title can have links in their titles to their FanForce. Some newbies to the boards my not even realize there is a FanForce in their city or even what a FanForce is and it'd just be a nice thing for them to be able to click on a link in someone's title to go right to that forum.

what do ya think?

2. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Well wouldn't it be easier for these newbies to see the different categories at the bottom for the cities than happening to be in a post where a FF rep posts. That's what your saying right? I mean if I understand you correctly, your assuming that newbies are extremely thick...trust me, they're not that dumb.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I wouldn't go along with tossing them out to just everyone, but it might not be such a bad idea for the City Reps to link to their FFs. As FanForce likes to retain some degree of independence, perhaps this is a matter that should be decided among the FF ranks.

AYBABTU?

4. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    The only problem with this comes from the fact that there is a character limit on titles - 50 characters tops. Since the chapter reps usually have long titles as it is, there isn't enough room for the HTML codes in there as well. :(

5. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]well, I didn't know anything about my fan force until I happend to see an AD in theforce.net's main page for an activity we were doing.

I guess I was just THAT thick. :p[/color]

EDIT:

but that 50 character limit would pose a problem. :(

6. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Another way around this character limit issue is to put a direct link to your respective FF Chapter Board in your signature. ;)

7. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Technically, since you said "FanForce", this is a FanForce Communications issue, not a JC thing. That being said, I suggest you pose the question there. Or I would say that. Shara pretty much hit the nail on the head.

There is a character limit in titles. Some CRs and officers can have links, if they trim their titles, but most should just use their sigs.

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    It's possible, but then the title would have to be rather short. Of course, since it's possible to leave out the "http://boards.theforce.net/" part actually, this would help shorten the title.

It's worth a try in FF Communications.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Of course, since it's possible to leave out the "http://boards.theforce.net/" part actually

you have to leave it out entirely, else the link is too long.

You could, perhaps, just have the title be "CR" or possibly City Rep (might be too long), with just a link to the city forum.

10. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Last time I checked, City Rep has fewer letters than AC Member, so that could work.

11. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    OK, since this does seem to be turning into a Fanforce discussion, perhaps redirecting it here might be the best option. :)

12. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    "The standard" for CR titles (more or less) is to have the following info:

FanForce CR
    City State Country Region whatever

Examples:

FanForce Chapter Rep
    Indianapolis IN USA (39 characters + 4 for the hard return <BR>)

FanForce Chapter Rep
    Hounslow, UK (35 characters)

Chapter Rep
    German Speaking FanForce

Etc...

That pretty much uses up most of the allotment of characters, even when we abbreviate FF & CR, so that pretty much makes links and colors impossible, particularly since we have to use HTML instead of board markup codes. Rather the give some CRs links and colors and not to others due to the character limit, we decided none of them should get it to be fair.

Hope that helps.

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks for clearing it up, Seb. I guess that settles the matter.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Drat, well it was a thought. ;)[/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.