main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lions and tigers and padawans, oh my!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Feb 16, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    There have been several calls from people for a formal definition of what a spoiler is. Here's my attempt:

Any information about the Star Wars Prequels that has not been released by an official news source is considered a spoiler.

So, a picture scanned in from Star Wars Insider is not a spoiler. The article from the Newsweek with a plot synopsis *is* a spoiler (since Newsweek is not an official source).

As far as plot goes, this is what it says on the official site.
    In Episode I, Luke Skywalker's father is just a hopeful 9-year-old boy named Anakin, who knows nothing of his eventual fate as a Dark Lord in years to come. In this earlier time, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a determined young Jedi Knight. Qui-Gon Jinn is Obi-Wan's venerable Jedi master, trying to teach the Jedi way to his apprentice as their world begins to unravel in political turmoil. Episode I will take audiences through extraordinary realms and adventures, from the desert planet of Tatooine to the galactic capital world of Coruscant (with its Jedi Temple), the green world of Naboo, and beyond. Familiar Star Wars characters Yoda, R2-D2, C-3PO, and Jabba the Hutt are along for the ride. This first chapter in the Star Wars saga follows young Anakin Skywalker's journey as he pursues his dreams and confronts his fears in the midst of a galaxy in crisis.
    Don't go beyond this.

Is this definition agreeable? I think it's simple enough to be easy to remember, yet versatile enough to cover most situations.

As far as "policing" goes, anything in this forum which mentions a spoiler will be deleted without notice. Sorry for this rather cruel policy, but if I posted a note saying, "The <spoiler here> thread has been deleted because it contained spoilers," it'd be pretty pointless. And yes, I have already deleted one thread (thanks to Obi Swan for pointing it out to me).

Paradox

[This message has been edited by Paradox (edited 02-16-99).]

2. yavin44

yavin44 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 1998
    I would agree with that, but what do spoilers become after May 21? I would assume that starwars.com and the Star Wars insider would heavily update their publications, expanding "official news" to much larger than some people would want to hear. (They probably wouldn't diverge the plot, though). So I submit this addendum to the rules to be approved by management...

If you've seen TPM, don't post in any TPM threads or threads about Eps. II and III that would extrapolate upon your TPM knowledge.

Well, you could say that this is a Prequels forum, not a TPM forum. But knowledge of TPM would quickly seep into all the other speculating you write.

yavin44

3. Paradox

Paradox Moderator Emeritus star 1 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 2, 1998
    Alright, new definition.

Any information about the Star Wars Prequels that has not been released by an official news source is considered a spoiler. After May 1, 1999, any additional news released will also be considered a spoiler until January 1, 2000.

I know this may seem overly conservative, but the idea is to not allow any spoilers in this forum. There are official items coming out before the movie (like the novel) that many people on this forum don't want to know, which is why I chose to freeze the news items on May 1 (rather than the 21st). Also, it may seem like January 1, 2000 is too long to wait to discuss the actual movie, but some people may not get to see TPM until then. Your discussion on that topic can go into the Spoilers forum (since I can all but guarantee there will be practically no Episode II spoilers in that forum until much later). Also, note that this description *does* allow Episode I reviews, as long as they don't include anything released after May 1.

Well, this definition just got a bit more complicated, but not too much... let's hope that's good enough.

Paradox

4. Look_Sir_Droids

Look_Sir_Droids Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1999
    No, I don't find it conservative at all. I think the members that wanted this forum obviously don't want current information and that is the way to keep it out of here.

5. Obi Swan

Obi Swan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 1998
    I agree, LSD. I think if theforce.net is to err on the side of being either conservative or liberal, when it comes to spoilers the people who want this spoiler-free forum don't want to know *anything*. I have a friend who won't even watch the trailer or look at any stills from the film.

6. Look_Sir_Droids

Dec 14, 1999
    ObiSwan- I used to be like that, then I saw the trailer. It gets you hooked and hungry for more pretty fast.

7. Paradox

Oct 2, 1998
    Well, since we seem to have come to a general agreement, I suppose we'll adopt this definition unofficially for the time being - and possibly officially later.

Also, a request: if you see a spoiler in this forum, please send an email to me or one of the other administrators so we can edit it ASAP.

Paradox

8. Paradox

Oct 2, 1998
    And, an addendum to that request... One of my professors had a house sitter who backed out at the last minute, so I'm taking over the position. If you have any problems on this forum, please direct them to one of the other administrators until Sunday night, since I'm not certain how often I'll able to log on to JC.N.

Paradox

9. MySelf

MySelf Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 1999
    A spoiler is somtin' of da movie... I DONT wanna here.

Dig it?

10. half vader

half vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1998
    Well! - and I always thought a spoiler was something you put on the back of your car!!

(sorry, someone had to say it!)

11. Paradox

Oct 2, 1998
    That's correct.

12. EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 1999
    A Spoiler is something that makes you say "WOW! That's COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!"

13. Look_Sir_Droids

Dec 14, 1999
    Here's the spoiler definition thread. This should clear things up.

14. Look_Sir_Droids

Dec 14, 1999
    Okay, there's been some recent debate over what a spoiler is again, trying determine if the 60 Minutes footage is a spoiler, so I guess we have to redefine it.

I still say all official sources go, and since GL was the one talking on 60 Minutes, he is an official source, thus making the 60 Minutes segment an official release.

Thats what I think. But please, everyone participate and voice what you believe a spoiler truly is. Thanks.

15. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I think "spoiler" is a very subjective term, and varies from one individual to another. Anything that a person thinks will spoil the movie for that person is, to that person, a spoiler. To some people (like me) the 60 Minutes segment is definitely NOT a spoiler, because that information will have no effect on my enjoyment of the movie on May 19. (In fact, it may enhance my enjoyment). To someone else who wants to avoid all prior knowlege of the film, it would be a spoiler. I think it's impossible to come up with a definition that is right for everyone. It's up to every individual to use his/her own judgment regarding what to watch, read, etc., in order to keep their enjoyment intact.

16. yavin44

yavin44 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 1998
    Yep. As long as people keep thread titles concise and absolutely-non-spoiler, I don't see why we should have a problem until the official news cutoff date of May 1.

Instead of "Yaaaaaaaaay!"
    Or "Eventual effects of '60 Minutes' sfx on April television in western New Jersey and the Greater New York Area. PS: Jar-Jar says 'me no watchin' in TPM and this guy dies."

Write "60 Minutes effects quality" or something like that.

17. Ki Adam Mundi

Ki Adam Mundi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 1999
    I think Jasman has a good point after all we can't cater for everyone with a single definition, unfortunately it seems to be up to the individual to guard against possible spoilers personally. This doesn't mean, though, that people shouldn't be sensitive to the feelings' of others. Just because there is an official definition of a spoiler we should still be cautious about what we say in certain company. If someone expresses a wish not to talk about something in a particular discussion then it is only polite to respect their views (that is unless it goes against the themes and conventions of said discussion). I'm not trying to dictate what people say here, rather point out that there is a wide range of opinions on this subject, the one thing most of us have in common, though, is a desire to remain ignorant of certain details.

Lets stick with Paradox's description and use our common sense to determine what is appropriate behaviour and what isn't.

[This message has been edited by Ki Adam Mundi (edited 03-29-99).]

18. Look_Sir_Droids

Dec 14, 1999
    Well, you have to face the facts that members who don't want spoilers are going to find them out anyway. Isn't that why people come to the prequels forum in the first place?

Also, when you come to TFN, you are looking for information. I think the only people that think 60 Minutes is a spoiler sre our foreign members, but they can view it by downloading the quicktime clip.

Yes, we can't individualize the definition, so that means you have to define it in a general sense.

19. Ki Adam Mundi

Ki Adam Mundi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 1999
    I hope that no one is misinterpreting what I have written. I do believe that we should have a general definition of spoilers but I also believe that there are many members who wish to avoid certain kinds of info. Perhaps 60 Minutes is this kind of info and perhaps it isn't, nevertheless, I'm trying to avoid it.
    As I have written above, I think it's important that people be able to discuss official Lucasfilm information on this forum. All I ask for is a little help in avoiding stuff that I (and I'm sure many others) don't want to read, but I appreciate that on the whole the oness must be with me.
    I would also like to point out that people come to the forcenet for many reasons, not simply to find out new information.
    Some of the best discussions I have seen so far have divulged no specific information on TPM and I would argue that most (not all)other discussions only reveal the smallest plot points or else are entirely speculation.
    It would be madness to argue that people shouldn't talk about official info here or that they continuously censor themselves. All I propose is some thoughtful behaviour after all alot of people come to this forum for alot of different reasons.

20. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
  21. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Bringing this up one last time...

22. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Guess that wasn't the final time.

23. Grand Moff Jerjerrod

Grand Moff Jerjerrod Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 1999
    Good find SotS

GMJ

24. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    What about speculations. Sometimes people may start to speculate from what they know from TPM. The problem is that sometimes they can draw from "rumors" that they have heard elsewhere. Is this allowed? Like I think this is going to happen in episode II, or I think that will happen in episode III. I see people draw on sources such as EU, or starwars encyclopedias, or things like that. In a way, they're not using rumors from sources like theforce.net but they may be bringing up ideas that people may not want to hear about. What's to be done about that?

25. Ton Phanan

Ton Phanan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 1999
    I personally think we all have enough common sense to decide for ourselves whether or not something is acceptable when we post it.

You probably didn't see what happened last April. That might change your mind.

You and I might have enough common sense, but you'd be surprised how often someone posts an important plot point, and doesn't even realize it's a spoiler.

But right now, it doesn't really matter...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.