main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of misleading covers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Earnhardt, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Earnhardt

Jedi_Earnhardt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2006
    We've all seen them, action scene on the cover that didn't happen in the story. Luke using lightning on the Swarm War cover, sora bulq fighting oppo rancisis on a republic comic cover. Just for fun list the covers you can think of.

2. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The several Jedi vs. Sith covers that showed the blonde kids that died on thr transport fighting with Bug on Ruusan. They were shown on an issue cover even after they were killed.

3. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    The Cestus Deception with Count Dooku on it; i dont think he is even in the book!

4. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Jedi Trial, I believe it was, with a Assaj Ventress... when she only showed up for a two paragraph or so conversation with the REAL baddie of the story!

5. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    - Yoda features prominently on the cover of Dark Rendevous and it turns out to be the adventures of Scout and Whie.

- The cover of Hero's Trial in which, at first glance, I thought Han had joined the Yuuzhan Vong. (I didn't know Chewie's death would drive him THAT far over the edge!)

- I, Jedi had a large shot of Luke in the background...I didn't realize that meant he was only a background character at best.

- The Crystal Star's cover actually made me think I would like the book.

- on TNR, Luke has an expression on his face that made me think he walked in on Mara changing clothes. http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Image:TheNewRebellion.jpg

- SQ, for some reason I thought it had Luke and Mara in a jungle and the book had Survivor in the title...I pictured the two of them going on a reality show or something.

-Kotor's cover made me think I would play as Bastilla...wait that is a video game. Well it had an instruction booklet!

-And the majority of covers lead me to believe that our big 3 heroes haven't changed clothes anytime in the last 30 years or so....Maybe there's something special about that GFFA fabric or at least the detergent!

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The random R5 droid and TIE on the cover of Slave Ship... and the "summary" on the back. :p

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    The Jedi Quest covers led me to believe that Anakin never once changed facial expressions throughout his teenage years.

8. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    The R5 was the droid IIRC that was at the murder of Owen and Beru on Tatooine that had sensory data that Xizor was there and Boba had it in his posession. I dont think it was a major plot point (probably because you couldnt squeeze anything to do with Kuat there) but that was why it was there.

But FH1 Did we see Mara with a blaster and Luke fighting in a destroyed city anywhere there

9. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Wedge's Gamble and the Bacta War. And even Kryto's Trap, with those two random Mon Cal cruisors lurking in the background.

And Vector Prime, which featured... trilobites? :confused:

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  11. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    ...weird. At least they make sense given the context, though.

I read an interview with the artist, and he said the trilobites on VP's cover were supposed to be... coralskippers.

12. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Hell, KOTOR II had Nihilus and Atris on the cover. At least Bastilla was a character in your party. Nihilus and Atris were relatively small componants of the game compared to Bastilla in KOTOR I.

Carnage

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, in a way I think that might have been unavoidable if they wanted to have a ready "villain" figure on the cover. Kreia would have been way too much of a spoiler. Although the promotional art of Atris fighting Nihilus and Sion was weird, and I think got people expecting something completely different. In fact, all the promotion for Atris treats her as the epitome of light, which is kind of the exact opposite; I'm guessing the folks in marketing saw the white outfit and figured it from there. In terms of weird box art elements, I'm trying to figure out what that single Selkath is doing with a blaster on KOTOR's cover.

As far as I'm concerned, misleading covers begin and end with, as mentioned, The Cestus Deception. Dooku takes up half the cover, and he doesn't even have a cameo.

14. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    the unifying force had a picture on it that looked amazingly like Anakin Skywalker. Although i think it was meant to be Jacen or something, it looked nothing like jacen and a lot like Anakin

15. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    The Emperor and his Royal Guards on the cover of book 3 of the Bounty Hunter Wars. He wasn't even really in it, like in book 1 or 2 when he had a cameo.

16. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Wettengel: conceded, up to a point on the "evolutionary" nature of armour and sailing ships... I'll have to do some digging to work out what the longest-used class design or longest-serving ship of the sailing navy was...

I'll point out, nevertheless, that the Lee-Enfield and the B-52 are both single, specific designs...

And there's also the issue of how much fashion dictates actual appearance. Those stormies could have far more high-tech armour than the ones a century earlier, but the point is that it looks like classic stormtrooper armour, because that's the "look" they're going for...

Which of course, in OOU terms, it is! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

17. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Adding a misleading (misplaced?) post to a thread about misleading covers increases the confusion.:p

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Bug? Did someone mention Bug? The Bugg of Erikson's fifth book is Allstonian hilarious. You could pee your eyes out.

That's . . . not tangibly possible. But you get the holo. Forget misleading covers, no cover is really misleading. Except for the blatant lies of Cestus and Jedi Trial, nothing but marketing lures. It should have been called Jedi: Quinlin, which it precisely was. But who would care for some North American lookalike when you could think you're buying the Dooks himself, right?

What's misleading are the book blurps. Backcover synopsises.

I take exception to that. Being lied to. Solo and the hairball didn't struggle to form a coalition of smugglers in Last Command, anymore than a lone space station stood between invaders and victory on TUF. Fortunately, the mistakes are few and rare.

If they could just label somewhere in the interior cover what's young adult I'd really be a happy bee. Actually, a worker bee, they're the most common; you can't work an honest day without some pay cheque finding its way to you. Although I'm not adverse to soldiering. If they got rid of those oversized STAR WARS insignias you could free up more cover room. It's not like the hynotised masses won't buy whatever spits their way. American grammar has this interesting habit, not hobbit, of saying "I spit the food out," whereas here we say "I spat the food out." I've never been able to understand it. Why?

[face_thinking]

19. Jedi_Earnhardt

Jedi_Earnhardt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2006
    Luke holding a blaster on the cover of Vision of the Future.

20. malibu82

malibu82 Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    Was Boba Fett even in any of the stories in Tales from the Empire?

21. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    The Marvel issues (insert # here). Really, there were quite a few during the run of that series.

22. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    - Yoda features prominently on the cover of Dark Rendevous and it turns out to be the adventures of Scout and Whie.

Umm... As I recall it, Yoda was a main character and pretty integral to that book...

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999

Heheheheheh.

24. Frobro00

Frobro00 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    Boba wasn't, it was Thrawn in the outfit, IIRC.

25. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I think worse than the cover is Del Rey deciding to stick YODA in the title simply to raise sales. Terrible idea. Books are art not product. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.