main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of things you didn't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Juice, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carykatherine

carykatherine Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2001
    Kalron youre an idiot! HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY BE THAT BAD.You probably think Battlefield Earth is the greatest movie ever. In a way; however, I am king of glad you hated the movie because it only means That I will love it!

2. Bruce_the_Bith

Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2005
    Well I must heartily disagree with Kalron. This movie was the absolute bomb. I do not know how he can call himself a "true SW fan" and not find the ending of the movie emotionally loaded. It really (read really) tied in with the OT it's ridiculous to not think of this as "classic SW" It is, in fact, Classic SW in the 21st century. It may look a bit different, but the power and emotion of Obi-Wan and Vader at the end of their battle rivaled that of even Luke and Vader at the end of ESB, and it creates a sweet, sweet victory for Anakin at the end of ROTJ. The acting most certainly wasn't "crap"! If anything lacked, it was some lines of dialogue, and yes, that was the way Lucas intended it. Vader's "NO" was sublimely powerful, and the hints of the look on the emporer's face was, just, wow, like "his turning is now complete! his rage is devilishly sweet!"

The grand arc of Anakin being the "poster boy" of the republic, to him being the "dark lord of the empire" is compelling. Kalron, sir, you shouldn't have gone into the movie with blinders on, and just allowed it to ensconce you, to take you to a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away!

3. YamiCynicus

YamiCynicus Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Damn J.J..... tell us how you really feel!!!

I agree with many ...

1. story seemed rushed
    2. Grievious and the Count's deaths
    3.Ani not going more ape-s*&t when finding that padme was gone

I also wish that G.L.would have

1.talked about ani's mom (who's the daddy)
    2.gotten deeper about the setting in motion of the clones
    3.obi-wan is "taught" how to communicate with Qui-gon but luke(in ep. 4) it just happens with obi-wan
    4. ...and a lot of other knick knack sh@t

4. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    How long was you let out of the mental assylum today to write that bashing review?
    We clearly watched two seperate films. I saw a great movie which tied the PT to my childhood memories of the OT nicely. you clearly wached an episode of Battlestar Galactica from the 70's.

I was very pleased with it and feel the need to defend a great piece of mivie making.

5. koit

koit Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    1) Anakin's almost immediate turn to the dark side with no REAL justification. There should have been at least another 20 mins of screen time where Ani wrangles with his emotions.

2) Jedi purge - I would have loved to have seen more Jedi defending the temple with Anakin taking them out.

3) Mace fight. Too quick for the 3 other jedi to die. Not enough decent fight moves for Mace......

4) Sidious voice. Someone else mentioned it, would have preferred his voice to remain similar to that of the OT.

5) Battle droid voices. Similar to my note above, would have been nice to have kept with continuity from previous films. Unless they were going down the route of "different battle droids from different armies have different voices"

6) Padme's death because she lost the will to live. And that very line from a droid. Very cringeworthy. Definitely should have died partly because of Vaders force choke. Makes it all the more poignant. I do however realise that Palpatine's lie to Vader at the end wouldn't have been so powerful.

7) General Grievous. No need for him. Dooku would have sufficed. Generally (no pun intended) he added little to the plot and I would have like that screen time dedicated to the essential jedi purge and anakin's inner turmoil and his choice to turn dark.

8) Lift scene towards the beginning. Added nothing.

Quibbles quibbles. We all have them.

I'm watching it again tonight and will no doubt love it even more. I do think it was ace by the way.

Great points......

1) Loved sidious' laughing. He was finally free to be himself after hiding behind his false persona for years. This is why he seemed to so many of you as being "over the top". He was letting it "all hang out", so to speak.

2) Yoda was fantastic. Well done animating team. He looked class.

3) Expressions and emotions. Well played. Most of the time capitalised on. Others not so.......especially Mace looking like he was gonna kick serious butt, but then not delivering with some powerful lines/fighting.

4) Good use of decapitation/arm cut-offs etc. Nice.

5) Not everything was explained. Perfect !! - this is what will get the fans talking about the film.

Anyway, first post. Enjoyed this film. Enjoyed reading other people's opinion of this flick

Keep well

6. Expander_2873

Expander_2873 Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2004
    <<<< His turn to the Darkside was not very convincing. There was not enough there to justify him killing kids at the drop of a hat. It was like, I'm happy, I'm confused, I'm evil all in a span of 5 min. MPS young Anni has. Makes no sense.>>>>

I totally agree with Kalron27 on this one. There isn't enough to justify the slaughter of innocent kids. I can understand Vaderkin going ballistic against the Sandpeople in Ep II after they killed his mom..but there is not enough material in EP III that could otherwise explain Anakin's actions when he slaughters the younglings. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

7. YamiCynicus

YamiCynicus Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Yeah 2 films were needed to get everything out cleanly

8. SithIsTheRightSide

SithIsTheRightSide Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2001

[blockquote][i]Bottom line is that ROTS should have been made into 2 movies. There was just too much to explain and not enough time. THat is why it feels rushed.[/i][/blockquote][hr]

Yeah, ROTS is way too fast. And, I think sth in the book "The labrynith of evil" should be added to the movies also, like the capture of Palpy by GG. This book is strange in the Star Wars universe, as it forms a dualogy itself with the movies, it doesn't look like EU stuff(don't start EU/non-EU argument here). For any1 haven't read that book, I strongly suggest to read it, especially b4 u see the film(if u don't want spoiler, then don't watch the novel of ROTS), it provides u a background knowledge to ROTS so u don't get confused by the film it self.

But, no, the film should not be splited. Make it longer even to 5 hrs long is acceptable. Split the movie splits the fun.

9. kalron27

kalron27 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    carykatherine-

Sorry but I've never seen Battlefield Earth, nor will I.

This is just my honest reaction to the film. If you liked EP2 then you'll be happy w/ this one. But its not much better.

I just feel cheated, and rightfully so.

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The only complaint I really have about this movie is the pacing and editing. Padme and Anakin's scenes are more touching, yet they seem cut down and fairly brief. I remember watching one instance and thinking to myself how much better it would have been if Lucas had lingered on them holding each other just a few seconds longer. The pacing is snap-quick, as well. Whereas I got to absorb stuff with slower scenes in between the action in TPM and AOTC, this is all "action, action, action" with very few moments to catch your breath.

I actually have no problems with the acting. I have a newfound respect for Ian McDiarmid. He really shined here.

11. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    Yoda's line, "Not if anything about this I have to say." I rolled my eyes.

12. kalron27

kalron27 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Bruce_the_Bith-

"I do not know how he can call himself a "true SW fan"

- What does that mean.

Just because I hold I higher standard to film making doesn't mean I'm not I fan.

My Father took me to see EP4-6 '77-'83
    I took my Father and my Son to EP1, I even liked EP1.

This movie, as with the last, just didn't do it for me.

Hate me if you want, but it just wasn't that good.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Plo Koon not talking.

14. kenskywalker

kenskywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    "Oh yeah, that wasnt what I was expecting either .. I was expecting it to be alot more powerfull, the same goes for Vaders forcerage in the same scene. But like I said, other than those things it is perfect."

You should become a movie director - they always get what they were expecting.

15. The Smashing-Wan

The Smashing-Wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 1999

Like Jedi-Juice wrote:

I would really have liked a Bill Murray cameo too.

16. Jager

Jager Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Only thing I don't like about RoTS? People complaining about RoTS.

17. KeithFranklin

KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 1998
    Only a couple minor things.

1. As in TPM and AOTC the most annoying thing in the prequels is the voices of the Nemodians (SP?). Should have had an alien language and sub-titles. I found them far more annoying than Jar Jar.

2. Padme wasnt big enough for the twins. They should have had time elapse or something to let her get bigger.

3. Getting stuck basically in the front row. Was far to difficult to focus. Cant wait to see it again this evening (Please let us get better seats).

18. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm kinda let down by the fact that all of these high-tension meetings in Padme's Apartment were never seen. Also, where was Mon Mothma? George could have at least put her in there. I guess I'll jsut hafta pick up the novelization.

Also, what is up with Kit going out like a little bitch? It would have been much cooler to have seen Palpatine take on all four of them with some mad saber action.

What I liked:

The rest of the movie, and the scene after Order 66 was given when the Jedi are killed was one of if not THE best scene in a Star Wars movie.

19. Bruce_the_Bith

Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2005
    Kalron-

I do not hate you, I just don't like to hear negative reviews of Star Wars, esp. this movie, esp by a real fan like yourself. But tell me, explain specifically how this film did not feel like the OT that you adored so greatly. Because myself, and a boatload of people thought the ending, actually, as soon as Palpatine became the emporer, felt VERY MUCH like the OT. I mean pretty much everything at that point on had a specific lineage to a scene in the OT, like the Tantive IV, or, say Luke and Leia, or Tarkin, Emporer, and vader at the end. Or the whole battle on Mustafar that we always knew about but never saw. I mean, when they FREAKIN showed Alderaan, how could that not strike you? Again, I read your grievances with the film itself, and you said how it didn't compare to the OT. How specifically is the OT much much better than this film?

20. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    Ok, I just got back from my long day of star wars viewing. Episodes I - VI were watched. Here's the things I didn't like about ROTS:

1. Dooku's fight scene was too short and there was not enough talk about anger and aggression.
    2. No scenes of senator being upset with Palpatine's growing powers. (No rebellion scenes!)
    3. The story seemed rushed. It may be that the only reason I think this is because I was spoiled, but oh well.
    4. Qui-Gonn's voice wasn't heard. I am disappointed about that.
    5. I didn't like how some of the scenes were intercut.

That is it, until I see it again. I'm really tired. The last time I woke up was 8:00 am yesterday morning.

EDIT: Neimodians own you, by the way.

21. gotMace

gotMace Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Not being bloodthirsty, but I wanted to see a more detailed destruction of the Temple.I wanted to see Ani faceing more JEDI, more clone troppers.I wanted to see more of the Wookies,not enough Chewbacca.Grievous was a waste of CGI time. He was a godawfull disapointment.Got dispatched to soon for my taste. I know that Mace crushed his chest in the toon version, but still...

22. LordPeril

LordPeril Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    One of the things that kind of left me hanging was Tarkin's army coming from out of nowhere. I understand GL wanted to set up an ending scene with Vader, Palp and Tarkin overviewing the DeathStar's progress but the Imperial Army went from Droids> Droids & Clones> to Clones and Humans we've yet to see in the PT.

Yea. I know there had to be pilots for all the Imperial Starships and what not but they could have at least showed the Nazi-ish looking troops of the OT at either the end of AOTC or at some point before the very end of ROTS. And where were those God-Awful black lampshade helmets when they finally did show them?!?!?

Anyway, to whoever said the thing Anakin was standing on in the lava should have sunk, I believe that was some kind of droid. Not that that would squash the point of it drowning or not.

This movie was as good as it could have been, though it could have been a lot better had episodes I and II told a lot more.

Lastly, I agree with everyone who feels as though Anakin should have killed off more adult Jedi. We went into this movie believing Darth Vader wiped out the Jedi when all he did was destroy their unskilled offspring thus taking away their future. The living Jedi Masters, the powerful Jedi, they were wiped out by the Emperor and a bunch of Clones. It would have said much more for Anakin's power had he taken on more members of the council.

23. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    jedi-juice: quit your complaining. It's been common knowledge for quite a long time that Vader ended up in the suit because Obi-Wan kicked his ass. Let's move on..Labrynth of Evil explains Grevious being part cyborg, in order to lay ground for Vader surviving. "EU isn't canon", but this book is, as it was approved by GL and meant to lead specifically up to the opening battle scene. Read it and you might learn a bit about Mace Windu also.

My complaints come from editing since I had to read the novel before hand. Not that I would have minded, but the movie would have been 3 1/2 hours! The omission of the scene with Mon Mantha talking rebellion at Padme's and no QuiGon Jinn voice over with Yoda bother me.

24. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    There was nothing I didn't like.

Grievous' cough was very TB/sickly, as if his armor and modifications weren't good enough. Gave him a more creepy appearance, however his character didn't really do much. His character is more at home in the cartoon, I think.

The movie moved fast. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just didn't give you time to take everything in sometimes. No time to breathe and gasp, because you're moving on to the next event. Bam, bam, bam! Very relentless.

25. kalron27

kalron27 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Bruce_the_Bith

Thank you for your well thought questions.

-Honestly I think it boils down to character interaction and emotional responce. I do not feel connected to these characters as I did and still do with the OT.

-Space battles!!! I love them. But the new movies have left something missing. As I said, no emotion in them, no feeling of being in the heat of the battle. Only a feeling of watching a really good videogame.

-Saber battles and CGI. TPM had great fight scenes due in part to Mr. Park, but these last two have way too much CGI faces inserts and sped up motion. The OT may have not been perfect, but atleast they were realtime.

-The plot seems forced upon you, as if you just need to except it to make it work. No real suprises. No real love story.

-Acting/script. I said this elsewhere. ANH was and INDEPENDENT FILM by most standards and has acceptable flaws. This new films are MAJOR MOTION PICTURES and should be held to those standards.

Yes there were good scenes and connections to the OT in this film, but not for 2.5 hours.

-I'll cool off by tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.