main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of things you didn't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Juice, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPoland

KPoland Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    Portman's acting. I'm highly confident that she'll win a raspberry. I had to look away in a couple of instances. As C-3PO said in ROTJ, " Oh, how horrid!"

2. joshak

joshak Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Movie was another big dissapointment. It's the best of the prequels, overall, but that's not saying much. George Lucas made a fatal mistake by directing these movies. But it's too late for that now. It's all over, and all we're left with is a pile of goo.

3. Darth_Nutz

Darth_Nutz Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    ^^^^^^LAAAAAAME!!!!

4. l33tn00b

l33tn00b Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    LAME ALL PT MOVIES ROCK

5. Bowman

Bowman Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2005
    If I had to pick one thing, I would have given at the very least, a few more seconds to help explain the Qui Gon thing at the end.

6. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    So far, this thread is the main thing I don't like about ROTS.

7. Clarker

Clarker Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    The only thing I didn't like was some jerk holding his lightsaber up in front of the screen four different times in the middle of the opening battle.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Things I didn't like:

1. Sidious' voice during the Mace duel and immediately after: It didn't sound like classic Emperor at all. At one point I turned to my friend when Sidious was frying Mace and yelling "No!" and said "He sounds like Gollum!" And afterwards, his voice still sounded wonky. Once they got past that scene it improved immensely though.

2. General Grievous' voice: I just didn't like it, it annoyed me. However, I doubt it's possible to create a voice for a character like that that isn't somewhat odd sounding like that.

There are other very minor things I disliked, but I want to see it again first before I make judgements. I was in the moment last night, so my memory is hazy on some things. Overall though it was a fantastic movie.

9. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    My only complaits:

1. Pacing. RotS could have used an extra 1/2 hour to let the movie breathe and let the audience be with the characters instead of feeling like their always trying to catch up. The first 2/3 of the movie felt we were being told what was happening just to get it out of the way for the payoff.

2. No rebellion for Padme. The one scene that felt out of place was when Padme said to Anakin "Do you ever get the feeling that we're on the wrong side of the war..." The line came out of NO where and would have been set up better if they showed Padme's building frustration with Palpatine and the senate beforehand. It also made Padme look more like a trophy wife than a senator in the movie without her Political influencing.

3. Scene Wipes. Some of them were worse than a 10 year old's powerpoint presentation.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    - Grievous: his character was unintentionally comical, not intimidating.
    - total lack of Qui-Gon explanation
    - pointless minute long Wookie battle
    - the duel: mess of CGI rather than precise sword choreography

11. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    1. Sidious' voice during the Mace duel and immediately after: It didn't sound like classic Emperor at all. At one point I turned to my friend when Sidious was frying Mace and yelling "No!" and said "He sounds like Gollum!" And afterwards, his voice still sounded wonky. Once they got past that scene it improved immensely though.

I think Lucas made Sidious's voice sound low and wierd to show that Sidious was using the dark side to SEDUCE Anakin. It's like Anakin was so out of it that he was hearing Sidious's voice underwater and he was being hypnotized by it.
    It's like when the Emperor told Luke to strike Vader down and take his place at the emperor's side. In the natural, Luke would never have joined Sidious even if he killed Vader, but the dark side of the force would have hypnotized Luke in the same way as it did with Anakin. It's like a mythical line was crossed in the force.

12. Ryuji

Ryuji Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2003
    Grievous's voice was a bit silly. Clone Wars cartoon gave him a more menacing voice.

13. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Two Palpatine lines really irk me

1. "Lord Vader will become even stronger than me" Is that something a Sith would boast about?

2. "I sense Lord Vader is in trouble". Wow, how convienent.

14. Jager

Jager Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    List of things I didn't like about RoTS...

...that pretty much sums it up.

15. TRUE_JEDI

TRUE_JEDI Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    My disappoints with ROTS are as follows:

The opening battle sequence upto the Jedi entering the Invisible Hand went on for just too long. I didn't feel the need for demonstrating that Anakin was "the best start pilot in the galaxy" as was clearly the tactic by showing him scrape "buzz droids" from Obiwan's ship, because this has been handled in the two previous films quite adequately.

The elaborate escape sequence with Obiwan, Anakin and Palp's through floors and elevator shafts achieved nothing other than waste time. When you see people dangling by their finger tips in with something closing in about to crush 'em you normally get tense. No chance of that happening in this situation - so why bother?

The crash landing of the Invisible Hand is followed by a scene that was just ridiculous. After re-entering the atmosphere in ship falling apart, Palpatine emerged in his pristine gown with a beaming smile for adorning senators and not a hair out of place. You'd think in the circumstances, sith Lord or not, he would get off the landed vessel appearing very badly shaken, persiring profusely and giving the impression of something just relieved to be alive. Please don't try to persuade me that he planned a crash landing of a broken ship so he knew he'd be fine - as the Chancellor he shouldn't have exuded the confidence of Sidious that early in the film.

The next thing to go pear shaped as far as I am concerned were deleted scenes concerning the disquiet within the senate as Palpatine finally goes for broke installing himself as Emperor. The only instance given is at the point that the Palpatine declares the reformation into the Empire when Padme mumbles something about "so this is how democracy dies". If we are to believe there is a need for a Rebel Alliance we needed more than this! Everyone but Organa and Padme let off hoots of joy when Palpatine says "it's my gaff now".

To not include a least one scene with Mon Mothma and friends establishing the bones of the rebel alliance or to not show some opposition in the senate to Palpatines move weakens the whole story.

I know that GL likes to make it look like you've come in late and "you've joined us at the ball game halfway through", but to my mind it was essential to show some political dissent and it didn't happen. You can't just go into ANH looking at the films sequentially and go "the rebels have struck a blow by stealing plans the the death star". On the basis of ROTS you'd say, "eh, what rebels? I thought everyone but a couple of Jedi were fine with all of this?". The formation of the rebellion had to be explicit - not implicit.

In general, the pace of the film was just too fast (opening battle sequence aside). It seemed no time at all between Obiwan and Yoda giving Anakin counsel and him kneeling infront of Sidious.

The Mace/Palpatine/Anakin confrontation just didn't seem right, "hey, what are you doing? - I need this guy to save the missus" The crucial moment was kinda hollow. I think at that moment, particularly since the relationship between Mace and Anakin was strained, it would have been better for Anakin to stop Mace from administering Sidious' death blow by locking lightsabres and fighting Mace. During the course of this duel the dialog could have been about their mutual distrust of each other, Anakin's feeling of betrayal by the Jedi and Palpatine egging him on a la ROTJ Luke v Vader. This would have been more appropriate too than early with Dooku because Palpatine revealed too much too soon in that chair (he was virtually shouting "it's me Darth Sidious, go on my son knock his block off!".

When Sidious "knighted" Anakin as Vader I didn't feel that at that point Anakin had earnt his evil spurs. Okay, he'd sliced off Mace's hand but he didn't kill Mace, Sly Sidious did that. So when Anakin goes, "what have I done?" I thinking it's a line more appropriate for leaving the iron on! I didn't get the feeling that Anakin was especially evil at that point. Maybe that's how it supposed to come across, but real villians (I think) tend not to reflect

16. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I'd say the Battle of Coruscant. That was the only thing in the movie that disappointed me.

17. Obicloneacc

Obicloneacc Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Revenge of the Sith was a fantastic movie.

I do think that some deleted scene should've been added in.

Other ideas.
    1)Either Leia should've looked into her mother's eyes longer, OR Bail Organa should have said that he and his wife wanted to adopt a girl, because his wife could not have children do to a terminal disease.
    (this would've taken care of the Leia/Luke dialog about her mother in Return of the JEDI, assuming that she did not remember Padme)

2) For consistency reasons Boba Fett should've made some appearance blowing something up in Vader's presence, like maybe Mace's dead body or something.

3) Luke probably should've seen Degobah, just for consistency reasons for his line in the Empire Strikes back ("still...something familiar about this place)

18. Jedi_Kkruhk88

Jedi_Kkruhk88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2004
    My only complaint was...
    K'kruhk not being in the movie :p

-K'kruhk

19. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    1. no liam neeson
    2. no liam neeson
    3. no liam neeson
    4. no liam neeson
    5. no liam neeson
    6. no liam neeson
    7. no liam neeson
    8. no liam neeson
    9. no liam neeson

10. where the heck was Liam Neeson. Instead of leaving the theater happy and content......i left feeling robbed. Of all the things to cut from the film.....that was the one thing Mr. Lucas absolutely couldn't afford to cut......and he did!!!!! Is it cause Neeson wasn't actually invovled with the project....or is it an executive decision by lucas. Either way.....not having him appear was a HUGE mistake for the casual viewer.....as was witnessed for me today by non star wars addicts going "huh" "what the hell" "Who the hell is that?" "What the hell is he talking about?"

George......this film was brilliant and you made one tiny **** up and quite honestly had me walking out of the theater angry and robbed. [face_plain]

20. Darth_Nitro1138

Darth_Nitro1138 Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2005
    Natalie Portman's acting

THE DUEL wasn't long enough

21. SKYWALKIN-BASTARD

SKYWALKIN-BASTARD Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    O.K. there is a list, a long list:

1) The Mace Windu Death Scene- He went out like a punk, at least in the video game you get to actually fight him as anakin before he dies. There was no lightsaber battle in the movie

2) The Jedi Temple- In the game he comes up to the "librarian" and says something and kills her (this starts as an actual scene from the movie (which once again was cut). The movie, not much of anything.

3) The thing that really bugged me though was the mention of the homing beacon and not showing any of how it was activated (again, it was in the game). This if you did not know was the whole point to Anakin going into the temple aside from killing Jedi which two duels were also cut from the final version. (to activate the beacon but you would have no idea watching the movie)

4) There was an entire battle in the game (with footage once again not shown in the movie but it exists as it is shown in the game and talked about as t a deleted scene) there is a whole battle on the bridge of the ship as it descended towards Coruscant. The ship turns upside down and they fight on the glass of the ship (the ceiling which is now the floor, would have shown the Grievous Guards magnetized to the floor (upside down) battling the Jedi)

Don't get me wrong I did like the movie but they did a horrible job of editing it, from what I have seen some of the parts they cut out of the film would have made it more exciting and absolutely should have been in the movie. Anakin actually fight Mace Windu/ the slaughter of the jedi in the temple as anakin tries to get to the beacon so that the other jedi will return. In fact there was a scene cut where Storm Troopers were disguised as Jedi and through surprise try to kill Obi Wan and Yoda when they return to the temple. In the end there are a lot of cool scenes that were deleted from this film, not just dull ones but action scenes that would have been really cool to see on the big screen. In the end, play the video game and you'll get to see how these scenes would have looked had they not been cut also read about the production notes on it as they explain each scene that was cut. The sad thing is that "The Flannel One" did all of this, not because it made the movie better or worse, but because he can't get it through his thick head that we have the attention span to watch more than 2 hrs and 20 mins worth of material (guess Lord of the Rings didn't get the point across :). I know I might sound like I hated the movie, but I really didn't, I just hate that I know what they cut out and how it could have been so much better. I see the digital tonight but from what I have read there are no additional scenes like Rick McCallum hinted, and its a damn shame. My advice, rent the game, play it start to finish, and you'll see that the video game version of events would have made the movie much better. Sorry if I ranted too much, but playing the game made the movie a bit of a let-down. These are not fantom scenes either, you actually see the footage mentioned above intercut into the video game and described in the stills gallery, that is how I know they existed and got cut.

P.S. One last thing, they could have left one other Jedi alive for Vader to take out after his transformation. But thats just my opinion, to me the above is much more important.

22. Ben-GaSovan

Ben-GaSovan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2003
    The whole movie I was lookin forward to see little old Yoda being chased on a dragonfly. What happened to that scene? One minute the clones turn, the next second he bounces. Oh well, he made up for it by showin the red guards what's up.

23. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    My problems were the people who lied about the movie who saw it before me. I was distracted for the first hour, waiting for the fake cgi, the wooden acting, the stiff dialouge, the illogical turn of little Ani...none of these things ever happened.

The acting was fantastic, the build-up to Ani's turn was brilliant and believable. You can see him make his decision in the Council Chamber during the breathtaking scene where him and Padme stare out at the city toward each other. He decides to interfere in the fight and Padme breaks down, sensing she has just lost her husband. All of the critics, especially ones who run SW fansites who said it was "ok, i need to see it again to tell if I liked it" need to shut up. You've bashed the PT in the press and eventually you'll bash Sith, just do it now, the pre-movie registration rush is over.

as for the cgi, it was perfect. Nothing took me out the movie like some of the work in AOTC did.

And let me go on record to say: Natalie Portman put in a brilliant performance.

24. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    After hearing how great the opening battle was, I felt it was way way way too short. Not even close to as cool as ROTJ Death Star Battle and that is my least favorite movie of the 6.

25. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    I cannot believe that after 5 years of crying about making Star Wars darker there are people who still can't sit back and enjoy a dark Star Wars movie.

One of the most emotional films of the series is delivered exactly how you ordered it and all you can do is post what you didn't like?

This forum sucks. What's wrong with you people?

If you don't like the Prequels why do you come here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.