main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of things you didn't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Juice, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    They aren't newbies, they simply re-register under new names every month and post the same old stuff.

2. pl_renoch

pl_renoch Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    We can only hope! We know that Lucas did film at lease one scene for ROTS during APM. Maybe there was more.

3. scrappster

scrappster Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2005
    Hm, quick little note to the person saying how Kenobi's 'I have the higher ground' ruined his character. (This is my take on the things I've seen on the screen, so if there's something in the books(which I've yet to get my hands on) that says otherwise, or if there was a quote that proves otherwise that I've forgotten, please feel free to correct me)

He is arrogant. Not as blatantly so as Anakin, but he is. Key into different scenes. 'Sith Lords are our specialty!'-To Padme in AotC and 'Hello there!'- to G. Grevious in RotS. He is overly confident in the prequels. Yoda even points it out to him in AOTC, albeit descreetly, when he and Windu were talking about Anakin's mission.

"It's a flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves, they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."

Kenobi is arrogant, but of course, only to a certain degree. I think it's more that he didn't realize how overly confident he was until after his fight with Anakin, and then took the time from to rethink things and change himself into the respectable character he was in ANH.

That line has bugged me though. Even when I saw it for the first time. One thing I did wonder was if maybe he did that to use Anakin's arrogance and rashness against him. We all know he doesn't think things through like he should, and that he jumps into things, so that could be the main reason why he did try that painfully idiotic manuever. But who really knows. It probably would have been better if he had somehow lost to Obi-wan by fighting him on the side of a hill or something, rather then simply jumping, but what's done is done, and no point complaining about that, really. I thought it worked alright, considering Anakin's state of mind and personality.

4. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    im glad to see some people agree w/ me on this. the whole Qui-Gon immortality angle with Yoda calling him his master and the subsequent re-education of Yoda which passes on to Luke...ITS THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!! its such a gigantic answer and its completely left out. it IS the bridge of the trilogies.

sad. just plain sad

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Actually, having seen it 4 times now, certain things I've said I didn't like B4 have actually "grown on me," and started to make more sense!

The only things I am dissapointed about is:

-They didn't include the Mon Mothma scene in the theatrical release (here's hoping for a "reincorporation" of that scene in the DVD!!!) [face_praying]

-I was actually hoping to see unsuited Darth Vader using FORCE LIGHTNING!! (did this HONESTLY NOT dissappoint ANYONE else??) Although I can kinda understand why he didnt-it seems only the "experienced" sith used it...whereas he just started...

So yeah, that's it. Actually it would've been REALLY great to see Qui-Gon appear-but I still think it's great without it. I guess it doesn't bother me much really...

6. ChellyD77

ChellyD77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    I, as a woman, really didnt appreciate the fact that Padme, the galactic senator and mother of the most kick ass female character in all of cinema was reduced to a pouting house wife. Like.... what was that??!?!?!?

7. BirthofWindu

BirthofWindu Jedi Master

Nov 4, 2004
    The one thing I disliked about this movie and maybe even AOTC, is how Vader is such a "pansy." Honestly, when watching the OT, he was incredible; he was a badass who had a slew of awesome lines (You are beaten. It is useless to resist! Impressive! etc). When watching this movie especially, its like his whole character has been severely degraded. Now when watching the OT, I have to remember Vader at one time was so....I dunno how to put it. "You turned her against me?????!" Completely corny and everyone in the theatre, including myself, life hysterically. Maybe it was just bad acting. Thats another thing: alot of times when things were meant to be serious, it just came out funny. Many people in the theatre laughed when Obiwan said "There was a security tape....of him killing....YOUNGLINGS." Of course, you had the rabid George Lucas fan shout out "THATS NOT FUNNY." The acting in some scenes were poor. But my main issue is with Vader. His "coolness" is lost now that I've seen how wimpy he is through these movies. I just cant picture someone as cool as Vader saying "This is OUTRAGEOUS. Its UNFAIR." Perhaps it was Haiden's acting but everytime Hayden got angry, I found it funny. "HES JEALOUS!"

Now I don't want people to think I'm trying to stir up controversy. I saw the movie 5 times and didnt see it a sixth because they recently released it from my local Cinema. But this is a topic to express your dislikes and my main gripe is Vader has lost that "bad ass" characteristic because of this movie.

8. lordmorpheus

lordmorpheus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    i guess one of the things i didnt really like was the fact that george lucas saw the need to try to tie up EVERY loose end as if ANH started RIGHT ON THE HEELS of ROTS. for instance, why did obi wan have to have the same hair cut? why have wedge in the movie? or tarkin? or the skeleton of the death star?

also, i am glad that they didnt include this, but what was the whole mess with qui gon and his new "cheat death" routine? why not leave some things to the imagination? obi wan and yoda both died under their own terms....yoda held on until he trained luke, as did obi wan......once they died, having known some peace, they went on to become "ghosts" if you will. no need to have the qui gon explanation.....unnecessary. making things too complicated. didnt need to have the Tantive IV in the movie. just tried to do TOO much i think. loved the movie tho, dont get me wrong.....would like to have seen GG wax some jedi a$$ onscreen......just to show his skills. wish to have seen anakin a bit more greedy, powerhungry rather than just "whipped" (and you ALL know what i mean) let us see a bit more of that anger....rage, frustration rather than just making him all lovesick. extend the movie about 15 more minutes, to show that vader, upon hearing of padme's death, lost all touch with emotion and feeling and had become the cold, calculating and menacing iron fist we all know and love......show him boarding his own star destroyer in search of "rogue jedi".....choking out a couple of folks who dared to question his orders.

9. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Here's my list.

1. People who salivate for over a year waiting for this movie and then complain constantly about it.[face_mischief]

10. Darth_Krispy

Darth_Krispy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    The only thing that really bothered me was the wierd sound Obi-1's lizzard made. That really, really bothered me, don't know why.

11. lordmorpheus

lordmorpheus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    JP, SURELY, you didnt like everything about the movie......then again, perhaps you did. i am only speaking as an individual. loved the movie, but as the thread asks, things you DIDNT like about the movie. not complaining....just talking.

12. coffeeshop

coffeeshop Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2005
    The whole Vader birth scene was yucky! I was dissapointed to say the least with it.

13. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    The only 3 things that I didnt care for was. 1st Not showing the scene with Padme Mon Mothma and Bail starting the Rebel Alliance 2nd Oui Gon not apprearing. 3 Why did Yoda decide on Deghoba. These are little complaints I still loved the movie defintly worth the 22 year hype

14. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    'the bad dialogue is supposed to remind you of the 40's' and and 'you guys who can find no fault in the ot are just nostalgic', two lines that pt lovers use all the time that lucas created so they could constantly use it as verbal ammo over and over since you cant defend the pt any other way

15. BirthofWindu

BirthofWindu Jedi Master

Nov 4, 2004
    I dunno, maybe its just me, but there were very few instances of dialogue which made me "cringe." Maybe its because the OT had better actors. But the way some of the dialogue came out sounded so....I just dont know how to put it. One that comes to mind is after padme says "I was worried about you" and then the way Anakin says "I'm allright." Or the "No, it is I who is so much in love with YOU." I actually felt better knowing I wasn't the only person laughing at the way he said it. There were plenty in this movie. "No, your wrong, How can you say that."

On a side note, I really liked the way Anakin says "LIAAAAAAAAR."

16. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Oh I didnt mean everyone, and there was a couple of things I didnt care for, I was speaking of the people who whine continually.

17. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    It bothered me that they felt the need to verbally indentify every D*** thing they came across from buzz droids to vulcher droids to ray shields. That's about it

18. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    my main gripe is Vader has lost that "bad ass" characteristic because of this movie.

Duh. That's exactly what it was SUPPOSED TO DO.

Good grief. The entire point of the prequels is to shed light on how and why Anakin became Vader. The point of ROTS is to show how utterly pathetic and wrongheaded Anakin's choices were. It isn't "badass" to spend your life trapped in suit with a breathing apparatus with no limbs and no way to have human contact. Did you see what Anakin/Vader looked like when Luke pulled the helmet off of him in ROTJ? Is that anything "badass" to aspire to? He lost his wife and kids, his friends and any kind of a decent life.

Vader is a sad case. He's an object lesson in not making the wrong choices.

By the way, one of the great lies on these boards goes something like this, "everybody in the theatre laughed at that part", and it is such bull. I'm not denying a few people may have laughed in a few places at a few locations, but ROTS was not a laugh riot. I saw it a dozen times with many different size audiences and the only laugh I ever heard was when Yoda flicked his fingers and knocked down the red guards when he went to see Palpatine and that was SUPPOSED to be funny.

ROTS has now made 811 million dollars world-wide, it's the 7th highest grossing film domestically, it's the 13th highest grossing film world-wide, it's the #1 movie of the year and the # 1 movie of the summer. If it was as "laughable" as people try to say, it wouldn't be that successful.

19. DarthTornado

DarthTornado Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2004
    Hmm... what did I not like about ROTS? There were a few things I suppose:

1. Not enough action in the Temple. It's not even that I wanted Anakin to off more Jedi (although, seeing him kill Shaak Ti would have been great) I just really liked the Clones in II and III. It would have been nice to see more Clones killing Jedi. The short pan-over shot they had was fantastic, I just wish it was elaborated on.

2. Boga. I liked the idea of Boga, but the noise it made was irritating to me. She (it is a she isn't it?) only needed to make it once or twice, not ten or fifteen times.

3. Anakin watching Padme brush her hair. This was just unneeded. I know it was there to show that they had a strong and healthy relationship, but they've already spent two films explaining this. They don't really need anymore scenes building the bond between Anakin and Padme.

4. Not seeing Yoda on Dagobah. No real need to talk about this more, I just wish they had shown Yoda on Dagobah.

20. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    To be honest. I enjoyed the whole movie. There was nothing in it that I didn't like.

21. Darth-Calipso

Darth-Calipso Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2000
    Felt like a 10 year old eh? Is that where you turn your brain off, ignore gaping plot-holes, awful dialogue, bad acting, script inconsistencies, terrible CGI and delude yourself into thinking you've seen something awesome, when in fact, even as a 10 year old, you know you've just seen a turd? If so, i felt very much like a ten year old...mission accomplished indeed.

22. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Mellow my friend. You may think your anger gives you focus, makes you stronger, but it just makes you look like a sad dude. :_| :_| :_|

If you didn't enjoy the film, that's fine, but no need to deride others who enjoyed it and state you subjective view of the film as fact.

23. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    To Yoshifett you must listen. Taking down self hating bashers one at a time!

24. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    It's good to be back halfwis-r-us.

I trust everything is going as I have foreseen.

25. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Re: Grevious

Someone wrote a few pages: He sounds like some 5th-grader's impression of a demon

That made me laugh far too hard. If you can imagine some kid with his head in a tin box trying to create a sort of primitive reverb chamber then its quite accurate. Grevious' voice didn't bother me one bit, but I swear all I'm going to think of now is that kid and his naff impression. Another good reason why I don't visit 3SA too often anymore!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.