main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of things you didn't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Juice, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True_Killer

True_Killer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Palpatine doing his little YES! thing during the Anakin, Obi-one and Dooku fight, that was so cheesy it was ridiculese..

I kinda wish suited Vader had more dialogue but i guess thats what the OT is for..

2. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    I have to agree with those previous poster who thought the movie could do without the hairbrushing scene. Padme's make-up was too orange,her hair was too curly to brush, and she was way too far away from her sweetie. And the so-called love talk? lame. The entire time could have been better spent on suit Vader, or the Separatist meeting.

But I will still be going out and plonking down my allowance for that DVD.

3. show_me_the_money

show_me_the_money Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    Vader scene was beyond horrible. Lucas should have his ass kicked royally for putting together that pathetic piece of ****.

4. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Ashandarei posted.

First of all, I don't like it, and I haven't watched it again. I saw ROTS a total of once, and I'm fairly glad that I haven't had to watch it anymore.

Second, it's quite easy not to like it. As I've explained, the mere premise of it is stupid; having the high ground does not mean that you will win the fight. If Anakin is STUPID and leaves himself utterly open, then yes, it does; but has Anakin does so at any other point during this duel? Why should he do so now?

Saying "It's over, I've got the high ground" is merely an invitation to be proven wrong. It sounds arrogant and idiotic; like something coming from someone who has never been in a real fight before. The fact that Kenobi says this ruins his character; the fact that it's proven right makes the entire fight moronic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair enough, it seems you dont like it because you think it weakens Anakins charicter by making him appear flawed when he loses, and it weakens Obi-wans charicter because he seems arragant in his "high ground" speach.

This is my deffence. Anakin is flawed in his lust for power and his arragance at the easyness with which he aquired it. He's become very powerful very quickly and believes he is head and shulders abover his old mentor. But his lack of ability to see his own flaws cause him to not think before he acts, and hence he loses. He knows Obi-wan has a better position in the stan off, but shruggs this off as he feels his new powers will give him the edge, high ground or not, stating "You under-estimate my power"

Obi-wan is not being arragant, he is being caring, he is being honest and most of all he is trying to be a friend. As i posted before, it's not the words he uses here, rather it's the tone of voice he chooses and the mannor with which he speaks. He is subtly warning anakin this "You will lose" without using those words, which would anger anakin, he's trying to make anakin see sence and hoping that pure lodgic and reasoning will make him see that an attack up hill will be his undoing.

Obi-wan did not want this mission, he does not want to kill anakin, but at this point Obi-wan realises it WILL come to this, if anakin attacks, he's simply trying to prevent this.

5. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Precisely, Turkey.

You can hear Obi-Wan's heart breaking as he says: "Don't try it."

Because he knows that Anakin is going to anyway....

And in response to the topic, here is my list of things:

-JR :)

6. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    "Palpatine doing his little YES! thing during the Anakin, Obi-one and Dooku fight, that was so cheesy it was ridiculese.."

I think so to, it is so hilarious and stupid at the same time, why does he even do it.

7. Anakin_Skywalker217

Anakin_Skywalker217 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2003
    At first, Grevious didn't really strike me as a powerful droid.... He was coughing and wheeeezing.

He reminded me of a old man :p

8. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I didn't like that Liam Neeson didn't find a way to get himself into the studio to record his lines for Qui Gon Jinn! :mad:

9. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>>I didn't like that Liam Neeson didn't find a way to get himself into the studio to record his lines for Qui Gon Jinn!

Yeah, okay, Dez. I'm going to agree with you on that one. I reeeeaaally wanted that scene to be in ROTS, because I felt it added a lot more to the saga as a whole. But the movie does not suffer because of it, and in fact it means that a lot more thought has to be put into what it means to find enlightenment for a Jedi.

I guess what I'm saying is, I am only annoyed because I knew about the scene before hand.
    If I hadn't, it wouldn't have mattered anywhere near as much.

And I had already made my peace with it not being in, by the time I watched the movie.
    So it really didn't matter in the end.
    ROTS is still my favourite of the 6.

I would still love it if it were to turn up in the DVD, though.... ;)

-JR :)

10. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    oooo- the fallout from being totally spoiled...wanting it all - all of it to make the final cut. much like anakin - double pun there

and totally spoiled would also me moi.
    and i do agree about the qui gon scene. actually one my top 10 that i wanted to see in RotS.

11. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    Here's a good place to start...

[image=http://img84.echo.cx/img84/3100/palpyface0cq.jpg]

[face_laugh]

12. True_Killer

True_Killer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    After the 4th time i saw ROTS i could not stop lauhging over Palp's facial expressions he did, especially when Anakin became Darth Vader and Palpatine was all like..

"The force is strong with you, a popwer sith you will become" he sounded like a pedophile..

13. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Actually, if I can chime in once again, I would have to say that I learned of the Qui-Gon scene after I saw the movie. But watching the movie beforehand, I thought the scene looked disjointed was out in left field. I felt that there was no continuity from the discussion of the twins to Yodas sudden knowledge of a Jedi afterlife.

In other things:

1. Quickness of the scenes. They seem to jump quickly from once scene to the next.
    2. The opening fight scene. Why waste nearly 15 minutes on this opening battle (with the stupid scenes of R2 fighting off the droid spiders. And then...cut to a hugely important scene with Palpatine, Dooku, Anakin and Obi-wan...and have Dooku out of the movie in less than 4 minutes.
    3. Portman's acting. Miserable miserable miserable.
    4. The high ground scene. Actually, I can probably stomach this one but it is rather corny. If you ask me though, the best battle with the best drama was Sidious and Yoda. THAT fight had me on the edge of my seat, not obi/ani.
    5. Continuity. I think everything flowed nicely but for the ages of all the players. Only a maximum of 20 years passes between rots and anh and obi is that old? The empire only rules for 15-20 years? Continuity wise, it seems like the Seperatists..turned Rebels make quick work of the Empire...destroying two death stars and wiping out most of the Imperial Fleet - all within 10 years?

And forgive me but the more I think about it...the more Ewan's portrayal of Obiwan leads me to believe that sacrificing himself in ANH doesn't fit his personality. Why, after all he had been through with Anakin, would he allow Vader to end his human life?

14. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Well, the main thing I didn't like is that it had to end. I wish that Ep. 1 and Ep. 2 could have been as awesome. Not saying that I didn't love either, but this movie "has the high ground" when it comes to the pre-trilogy and dare I say the saga. Ifi I must say that I didn't like, I would have to say that I didn't like the way they wanted to cram it into just over 2 hours. I would have loved to have seen a scene with qui gon talking to yoda, more of the battle of Kashyyk, more of anakin's turn, more of the jedi temple, more of the jedi purge, etc, etc, etc. You make this movie closer to three hours long........you have without a question, the greatest of all the star wars movies. Even though I still think that without the extra movie footage!;)

15. RedBlade89

RedBlade89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2005
    Things that I didn't like:

1)Movie went at a really fast pace.
    2)Dooku died way too fast. He should have had more screen time.
    3)Any love scene between Anakin and Padme. Still hasn't improved since Attack of the Clones. Watching the poor performances made me cringe.
    4)Lack of emotion of characters to certain events. For example, Mace's lack of response to the news Palpatine is Sidious. I mean c'mon, the chancellor being a Sith Lord under your very nose for 13 years is bound to create shock and awe.
    5)Weak transition after Anakin helped Sidious kill Mace. "What have I done?!" Then 5 seconds later, "I will do anything you ask."

16. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I agree with you Redblade89. Those were some of the stuff that i thought of.

17. RedBlade89

RedBlade89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2005
    I forgot to add this.

6)While Mace doesn't die like a punk, the rest of his posse did. In the movie, Palpatine just mowed them down in less than 10 seconds. Saesee Tinn and Agen Kolar didn't even try to block and just stood there for Palpatine to kill them. Kito Fisto did better but if he could just have lasted at least another 20 seconds. These Jedi Masters deserved better deaths. I wanted it to be like the deaths in the novel with Saesee Tinn geting decapitated and his head bounces off the floor, Agen Kolar getting stabbed in the forehead, and Kit Fisto fights together with Mace until he also gets decapitated and his head lands on Palpatine's desk.

18. That_WookieWarrior

That_WookieWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2005
    Ouch...

The only thing I didn't like about ROTS was the "NOOOOO!"

19. BirthofWindu

BirthofWindu Jedi Master

Nov 4, 2004
    I was expecting a post of this kind.

Say whatever the hell you want and get your panties in a bunch over it because we don't see eye to eye. Exclude these 3 movies and you've got none of this "Chosen One" stuff and "tearing me inside" and all that other stuff. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this as I did. But it detracts heavily from Vader's character from the original trilogy and makes him look extremely pansyish. Come on, how do you go from saying things like "Youuur destiny lies with mee, Skywalker" to "HES JEALOUS! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! ITS UNFAIR!" Hes completely *****made in this movie.

And yes, the whole theatre did laugh, at least most of it. This was during my fifth viewing. It was the scene where Obi Wan was explaining how Anakin killed Younglings.

And please don't bring in sales and what not into the equation because sales doesn't automatically equal greatness. I can easily say Spiderman was a better movie than Attack of the Clones becaused it grossed more.

Like i've said, I love these movies. I saw it five times. But this topic is to explain your gripes with the movie and my main issue is that Vader is no longer "Vaderish."

EDIT: One thing that erks me is how all of a sudden the whole saga is about Anakin Skywalker. The PT is about him. The OT is about Luke. Vader's screentime is infinitismal comapred to Luke's. Now all of a sudden, because of the PT's, Return of the Jedi has to do with Anakin being redeemed. Its like Luke is now excluded. I don't feel that way. The PT is Anakin's story and the OT is his sons story. Nothing of "being redeemed" is even mentioned in any of the episodes except return of the jedi wen Luke says 'I can bring him back.'

20. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Yeah me too i strongly agree with RedBlade89.
    Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin didn't even block or move out of the way. Some of you are wondering "Why didn't Mace or Kit helped them out?" Well i always thought that it was "Every man for himself!"
    But if you added the beheading and stabs it would've gotten too violent and might've exceeded the rating to R. Besides the rating the choreography was poor. It could've been better. And most of all some Jedi didn't have any lines in any of the movies! Aayla Secura or Plo Koon or Kit Fisto how about Saesee Tiin or Agen Kolar? Man it's the last movie at least give some credit! George Lucas i have a note for you..."Think before you act!"

21. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    Basically there is nothing I didn't like about ROTS - except maybe that the Rebellion scenes and Padmé's involvement in that wasn't included. The film is almost perfect but the rebellion scenes would have made this film perfection.

22. Phoenix_Flame

Phoenix_Flame Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    BirthofWindu, I agree with you 100%

"EDIT: One thing that erks me is how all of a sudden the whole saga is about Anakin Skywalker. The PT is about him. The OT is about Luke. Vader's screentime is infinitismal comapred to Luke's. Now all of a sudden, because of the PT's, Return of the Jedi has to do with Anakin being redeemed. Its like Luke is now excluded. I don't feel that way. The PT is Anakin's story and the OT is his sons story. Nothing of "being redeemed" is even mentioned in any of the episodes except return of the jedi wen Luke says 'I can bring him back.'"

23. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I think the theme of ASnkin's redemption is mentioned a little more than once in Episode VI... [face_thinking]

LEIA:
    But why must you confront him?

LUKE:
    Because there is good in him. I've felt
    it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I
    can save him. I can turn him back to the good
    side. I have to try.

-------------------------------------------------

LUKE:
    I've accepted the truth that you were once
    Anakin Skywalker, my father.

VADER:
    That name no longer has any meaning for me.

LUKE:
    It is the name of your true self. You've only
    forgotten. I know there is good in you. The
    Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That
    is why you couldn't destroy me. That's why
    you won't bring me to your Emperor now.

------------------------------------------------------------

LUKE:
    Come with me.

VADER:
    Obi-Wan once thought as you do.

-------------------------------------------------------------

LUKE:
    Search your feelings, father. You can't do
    this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go
    of your hate.

VADER:
    It is too late for me, son.

---------------------------------------------------------------

EMPEROR:
    By now you must know your father
    can never be turned from the Dark Side.

----------------------------------------------------------------

LUKE:
    Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the
    good in you...the conflict.

VADER:
    There is no conflict.

LUKE:
    You couldn't bring yourself to kill me
    before, and I don't believe you'll destroy me
    now.

------------------------------------------------------------------

LUKE:
    No. You're coming with me. I can't leave you
    here. I've got to save you.

ANAKIN:
    You already have, Luke. You were right about
    me. Tell your sister...you were right.

------------------------------------------------------------------

;)

24. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I think what the previous poster was attempting to convey regarding Anakin's aptitude is that the portrayal of Anakin's character leaves one believing he is more of a brat than anything else.

Anakin goes through life as if he has some measure of entitlement - that his deeds merit greater rewards than the ones given. While I don't think that this is against the character established in the OT, I believe Hayden's portrayal of the character leaves a little to be desired.

I've said many times that Anakin's words are akin to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum when he gets his favorite toy taken away from him.

His reaction to his "slight" by the Jedi Council, his reactions to Padme, to Obi-wan all reflect the reaction of a spoiled brat.

Its unfortunate.

And some other poster wrote about cinematography. What cinematography?! Everything was digital!

And the same ol argument about box office as the measure of greatness. God, its pathetic. This falls squarely on the mindset of George Lucas who (and an interview with Gary Kurtz from a film website confirmed this) is more interested in the thrill ride than in story. He believes the fans will come out even if there is no story behind the film.

Its sad.

25. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    It's not always a measure of greatness, but it just seems unusual for such a "bad" movie like RotS to be so far ahead of every other wannabe block-buster this year.
    The crap-fests of "Bordeom Begins", "Closet Encounters of the Turd Kind", "Charlie and the Chocolate Starfish" etc don't seem to have inspired much enthusiasm in the public, yet Revenge of the Sith has been raking in the cash like there's no tomorrow... [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.