main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

List of things you didn't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Juice, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    You put Star Wars at the begining of anything and its going to make alot of money. Example TPM made more money than ROTS but ROTS is a better movie.
    What Ididnt like:
    1. Padme being reduced to scenery
    2. The dozen unanswered questions
    3. Anakins turn too simplistic, too stupid, and didnt make any sense to me.
    4. The lightsaber battles(besides Anakin v. Obi) if your goign to have a dozen lightsaber battles make sure they are actually good lightsaber battles. Seriously how long did it take for Anakin to take out Dooku; 3 seconds?
    5. The fight between Sidious and Yoda, I still dont know why the heck Yoda just gave up and walked away letting SIDIOUS LIVE!!!!!
    6. Padme the mother of Luke and Leia and former female role model of the PT; dies because she looses the will to live!!!!! WTF!!!!!!:eek:

2. Droid_on_Helium

Droid_on_Helium Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2005
    Discuss the films, not the fans.

3. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
  4. Droid_on_Helium

Aug 10, 2005
    yeeees, comparing me to darth vader is the answer.

5. Droid_on_Helium

Aug 10, 2005
  6. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I don't think so. You can't.

7. The_Porridge_Boy

The_Porridge_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2001
    I might as well post some more accurate numbers than the mickey mouse stuff you got here from a post I made beforehand.

8. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Ok. Here will be some HARD evidence of why ROTS is bad? If everyone is so hyped up about numbers, here we go:

The initial fallacy here, although I understand that you did not raise this topic, The_Porridge_Boy, is that a film?s underlying artistic merit is somehow connected to its box-office pull. No film is ?bad? due to a less-than-stellar box-office tally, just as no film is ?good? due to its ascension to blockbuster status. The presence or lack of inherent cinematic artistry exists ?between the lines,? as it were, and relies primarily on subjective intellectual planes. Thus, the primary deduction to be made from figures such as the ones in question have more to do with a movie?s popularity at the time of its release; of course, there are several variables which factor into this matter, and I will address them very shortly.

There comment away. I'm sure there'll be naysayers.

My purpose in responding has more to do with the fact that the issue of ?adjusted figures? is more complex than it has been made to appear.

To begin, let?s consider the top-20 domestic films with respect to their adjusted box-office totals:

1. Gone with the Wind (MGM, 1939) - (Adjusted) $1,293,085,600; (unadjusted) $198,676,459

2. Star Wars (Fox, 1977) - (Adjusted) $1,139,965,400; (unadjusted) $460,998,007

3. The Sound of Music (Fox, 1965) - (Adjusted) $911,458,400; (unadjusted) $158,671,368

4. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Uni., 1982) -(Adjusted)$907,867,700;(unadjusted)$435,110,554

5. The Ten Commandments (Par., 1956) - (Adjusted) $838,400,000; (unadjusted) $65,500,000

6. Titanic (Par., 1997) - (Adjusted) $821,413,700; (unadjusted) $600,788,188

7. Jaws (Uni., 1975) - (Adjusted) $819,704,400; (unadjusted) $260,000,000

8. Doctor Zhivago (MGM, 1965) - (Adjusted) $794,466,900; (unadjusted) $111,721,910

9. The Exorcist (WB, 1973) - (adjusted) $707,639,500; (unadjusted) $232,671,011

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs(Dis.,1937) - (adjusted)$697,600,000;
    (unadjusted)$184,925,486

11. 101 Dalmatians (Dis., 1961) - (adjusted) $639,470,400; (unadjusted) $144,880,014

12. The Empire Strikes Back (Fox, 1980) - (adjusted) $628,356,100; (unadjusted) $290,475,067

13. Ben-Hur (MGM, 1959) - (adjusted) $627,200,000; (unadjusted) $74,000,000

14. Return of the Jedi (Fox, 1983) - (adjusted) $601,980,200; (unadjusted) $309,306,177

15. The Sting (Uni., 1973) - (adjusted) $570,514,300; (unadjusted) $156,000,000

16. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Par., 1981) - (adjusted) $564,107,900; (unadjusted) $242,374,454

17. Jurassic Park (Uni., 1993) - (adjusted) $551,717,400; (unadjusted) $357,067,947

18. The Graduate (AVCO, 1967) - (adjusted) $547,295,400; (unadjusted) $104,642,560

19. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Fox, 1999) - (adjusted) $542,885,200; (unadjusted) $431,088,301

20. Fantasia (Dis., 1941) - (adjusted) $531,478,300; (unadjusted) $76,408,097

It is quite interesting to note that there are but three films in the top 20 that were produced recently (i.e. the last 15 years). The remaining films on this list were then made in either the early 1980s or before. It is therefore a matter of some curiosity that many of the pictures made prior to 1980 (although there were some after) were re-released several times. Although the re-releases are accounted for, with a particular movie?s earnings from that theatrical exhibition adjusted in terms of the relative dollar figures of that year, a picture such as ?Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? made almost half of its domestic box-office pull through re-issued prints throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

Then, there are the aforementioned variables. The following passage is from boxofficemojo:

Since these figures are based on average ticket prices they cannot take into effect other factors that may affect a movie's overall popularity and success. Such factors include but are not limited to: increases or decreases in the population, the total number of movies in t

9. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    List of things you didn't like about ROTS

What an incredibly pedantic thread....

I didnt like the way he scene went between Anakin and Mace when the identity of Palpatine was revealed. Anti climax for me.

The thread discussing this at the moment is spot on - the novel played it out better.

10. The_Porridge_Boy

Dec 27, 2001
    Tyranus_the_Hutt: I am well aware of that. It's just that I do quite often find people who quote some random box office number to support their opinion that the movie is good is incredibly aggrivating. Thus I respond just as petty (but at least more substantially) with the figures I posted above.

Quite often when fans are backed into a corner by an by a sound opinion contrary to theirs, they bring out the whole "X Amount of people liked it" or "X millions dollars came in" to support their arguement. Which I find completely ludicrous especially considering that what we are talking about is an entertainment medium whose end function is subjective, not objective. And instead of defending thier opinion or trying to rebutt mine, they decide to use something objective to support their arguement.

While the whole post was off topic, that list bit was way too much.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    There wasn't anything about ROTS that I didn't like.

12. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    I liked TPM better than RoTS.

Jake Lloyd did a great job as young Anakin. Darth Maul lives!!!

Just pretend Jar Jar isn't there and it really is a great movie.

13. BirthofWindu

BirthofWindu Jedi Master

Nov 4, 2004
    Completely agree with everything you said, including the Box Office comment. Its Star Wars. Its guranteed to sell whether its horrible or not.

I don't know whether to blame the script of Hayden's acting. I honestly can't point out more than 2 or 3 scenes in all of the OT which made me "cringe" due to cheesy or "odd-sounding" dialogue. Hayden just isn't really believable and everytime he gets angry its hilarious. "YOU TURNED HER AGAINST ME?!" "It is I who is so much in love with YOU."

I think its sad that there are arguments going on when this is a topic to discuss the dislikes of this movie. Everyone commenting I'm sure has probably seen the movie more than twice. However, it did have its faults.

14. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    padme's death. It should have been that she first gave birth to the twins in bails ship, and then went to vader to turn him back to anakin, but get's killed by vader.

Also It's strange why master yoda couldn't sence that master vos was alive still, and that youngling that nearly escaped the jedi temple, should have defeated all the clones and escaped with bail and hid somewhere and returned later after episode 6 as a grown Jedi.

15. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Go_Mer-Tonic said:

There wasn't anything about ROTS that I didn't like.

Ha ha! Typical. I suppose you're still going to defend Jar Jar's relevance to the whole story?

16. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    yet you who carp and complain and gripe and list and find fault with everything keep coming back to post and post and post over a film a saga a director a writer a dreamer a storyteller, the story, the editing, the characters, the plot, many actors, the lighting the cg the this the that - why why waste your time with an entity you obviously can not drudge up even a smidgeon of appreciation let alone admiration. don't you have better things to do with your time? you sure imply that. find happiness somewhere. george and star wars are two of my sources for good feelings and good times. that's why i am here. why are you?

17. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    excellent!!! lovelucas , excellent!! . I am getting tired of all the fun of ROTS being bled by a few bitter apples. Why keep coming back for more?. it's all over now . the movies are done. please for the sake of your integrity, stop people. move on . :confused: wasted energy.

18. The_Porridge_Boy

Dec 27, 2001
    I'm just wondering what store did you buy that genric tired post from? Because really you must've gotten a discount for buying in bulk.

Better things to do with my time? It's not like I spend my entire day on here. I come on here perhaps for a week or so every few months, so I'd say yes I do have better things to do with my time. But I really do enjoy proving people wrong who praise Ep 3, yet can't formulate a single reason why; let alone defend it logically without involving some pathetic 1st Grade response. It's too bad, I'd figure that a message board with SO many Star Wars fans, there would be actually intelligent people, however the majority of people who'd rather spout off grade 3 insults because I actually disliked their precious film is not helping to contribute to the cause that SF fans are actually well adjusted people.

I don't care if you like Star Wars or Lucas, that's fine by me. Whatever turns your crank just so long it's concentual and not really hurting anyone. But why am I here? Boredom, the anominity of the internet to express my opinion (I'd be lying if I didn't mention that), and perhaps to show how stupid some of you with your responses that would make even a politician laugh at the bullcrap presented.

Like I said before, if you want the haters to leave and not voice their opinion, the same should go for the people who like it and post their opinions. This isn't the "Post if you like it or else get the hell out" forum, it's the Ep 3 discussion[/i], and discussion usually means ALL forms, both negative and positive.

19. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    This is going to sound lame, but I dont like the fact that Anakin turns into Darth Vader. Of course we all knew it would happen, nevertheless it was a real downer to see it.

20. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but this is a long thread:)

I didn't like that Anakin did not battle more Jedi. The younglings could not have put up that much of a fight. I wanted to see Anakin take down a few of the more powerful Jedi masters.

21. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    The turn scene represents everything thats wrong with the PT.

22. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    me thinketh the porridge boy doust protesteth too much -
    much better things to do he says

um hm

23. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    TheLightSide says "Jake Lloyd did a great job as young Anakin. Darth Maul lives!!! Just pretend Jar Jar isn't there and it really is a great movie."

No offense but c'mon seriously, Jake Lloyd's acting was awful, tell me your joking. I hated TPM. And it is very hard to pretend Jar Jar is not there. :D

There was only a couple things I didn't like about ROTS but I'm to lazy to write them.

24. Darth-Adroit

Darth-Adroit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    When I first heard the Vader NOOOO I knew I had heard that sound before. I believe I may have finally discovered the source of that sound in the 1997 movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. It can be found in scene 124 in the script:

124 INT. CONTROL AREA

Austin dives in SLOW MOTION towards the abort button. He flies through the air for an inordinate
    length of time.

AUSTIN
    (slow motion distortion)
    Nooooooo!

Austin?s slow motion NO and Vader?s post op NO are strikingly similar. The differences are so subtle that only a true audiophile would be capable of distinguishing them

25. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    What didn't I like about ROTS? The Mace bashing threads that cropped up after it's release! :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.