Amph List your favorite movies of 2013

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It was a great year to ignore the megabudget mediocrity of Disney’s declining Pixar and dominant Marvel box office dynasties. It was a perfect year to reject the bland predictability of the sequels and remakes and reboots and re-imaginings of all the tired, worn out action brands. It was an excellent year to embrace the kinds of films that sometimes make cinema seem like something that still might possibly have an artistic soul.

Gravity

Perhaps the finest 3D fiction film ever made, Gravity is also the best original sci fi movie of 2013, which admittedly isn’t saying all that much. More importantly, Gravity is a tight, simple visual story told nearly to perfection. It is the hyperactive but immensely charismatic younger brother of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Enough Said

The best movie to-date in the subgenre of romantic comedies for grownups, and I hope Holofcener keeps on directing small feature films -- Enough Said is even better than Friends with Money.

The Spectacular Now

James Ponsoldt’s follow-up to the underrated and little-seen Smashed, and Shailene Woodley’s follow-up to The Descendants, Spectacular Now is one of those resolutely likeable and intelligent coming of age stories like The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I wish more young people would devote their high school box office dollars to this kind of film.

Before Midnight

That long-time married spouses actually talk to each other may be a somewhat fantastical conceit, but it makes Before Midnight a perfect film for middle aged married couples to go see together as a remarkably serviceable substitute for feeling connected.

Room 237

If you stare at something long enough, do you learn more about it, or does it become unrecognizable? If what you think is wrong, isn’t it good news when the thing you’re most wrong about is only a movie? Star Wars fans know this drill intimately, and Room 237 was seemingly tailor-made for us. It is a breathtaking meditation on the grace and beauty of harmless wrong-headedness.

Honorable mentions:

Frances Ha

Greta Gerwig is almost always fun to watch on screen, even though her movies are almost always not very good. This one comes closer to being kind of good than any Gerwig flick save Greenberg. The narrative, to the extent there is one, offers a somewhat entertaining reminder that success and poverty are relative, and that being average and middle class in Manhattan’s island fortress of the hyper-achieving super rich feels from that vantage point almost exactly like being an utter failure and destitute.

The Way Way Back

What is it about Sam Rockwell? He elevates everything he’s in, even Iron Man 2. Same with Toni Collette, whose mere presence nearly saved the Fright Night remake. Way Way Back isn’t all that unique or insightful in its take on divorce, infidelity, youthful alienation and role models, but it reminded me a bit of Adventureland, and made me happy to reminisce about oddball coworkers at my earliest jobs.
  2. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Gravity is not sci fi. tia
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Not sure how much commentary to really add.

Gravity--Best film of the year

Iron Man 3
    Thor 2--Improvement over the first

Hunger Games 2--I like the first film better but this is really good and the last 25 seconds are awesome.

Pacific Rim--GIANT ******* ROBOTS!

Elysium--This did not quite live up to the hype, but it showed movies like Ringworld or Rama can be done.

The Wolverine--The first was a hard stumble, this was good.

Riddick--I could have watched Riddick survive on a hostile world for 2 hours. The rest of the story is ok.

Kick Ass 2
  4. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    At the moment:

Gravity
    Frances Ha
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints
    Iron Man 3
    Stories We Tell
    Only God Forgives
    The World's End
    Enough Said
    Before Midnight
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    My film of the year was Rush. I thought Morgan and Howard did a fantastic retelling of the Hunt/Lauda rivalry and the '76 championship. But beneath the cars and the racing, there was a great story about a complicated relationship between two people, one masterfully played by Daniel Bruhl (as Niki Lauda).
    AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  6. KED12345 Force Ghost

star 4
    Gravity was pretty much the only movie this year I enjoyed.*

*that I have seen.
  7. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Whatever had Adam Sandler or Dane Cook in it.
  8. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    Enjoyed "Captain Phillips," "Catching Fire" and "Monsters University"
  9. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I also liked The Way, Way Back.
    Man of Steel
    Oblivion
  10. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Oblivion? Really? I was left wondering why I got to the end of it.
  11. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I didn't have high expectations, but I ended up enjoying it. Might have been the Morgan Freeman effect.
    -Jedi Joe- likes this.
  12. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Gravity
    Agreed with everyone else in here. Truly (sometimes literally) breathtaking and for a few weeks after I watched it I just kept thinking back and marveling at what an epic adventure it is. I'll have to go back and rewatch it. Not sure the 3D was worth the hype, though. It was well done, but the story and the visuals ultimately don't need it.

Upstream Color
    Wasn't really sure what to expect from Shane Carruth after Primer, but I really, really enjoyed this. Like Gravity, it was another one that stuck with me for a couple weeks. It's artsy as hell, but never felt hackneyed or pretentious to me.

The Bling Ring
    Barely edges out Spring Breakers in the category of movies that were trying to make similar points in very different ways. It managed to depict the thing it was trying to critique without glorifying it. Some very deliberate choices on Coppola's part really made it great, though the acting could have been better.

Pacific Rim
    Unapologetically fun and campy. Love the ideas (drift compatibility is my new favorite thing) and the execution (effects/visuals and cast were both great). I think it's the new release I watched the most this year. Twice in theaters, twice on DVD.

Catching Fire
    Expertly adapted from the book - didn't lose too much, added the right things in the right places, really captures the point and the essence of the story while still being good as a standalone film. Amazing cast, really good production design - the arena looked exactly how I pictured it while I was reading, and a perfect setup for the next movie.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    Whatever, I loved it. In a three-way tie with Pacific Rim and White House Down for the most fun-to-watch movie of the year for me, plus Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, a delightfully absurd diabetes plot device, and a whole bunch of other ridiculous stuff.
    Last edited by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2013
    Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  13. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Uh, I liked Gravity. I have a feeling I'll probably... er, enjoy 12 Years A Slave when I see it. I can't really differentiate in my brain between "movies I saw this year" and "movies that came out this year."

With that in mind, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my 2013 film of the year!
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Dec 3, 2013
    CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  14. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    1.Gravity did it for me.
    2.The East wasn't bad.
    3.Before Midnight was just ok.
    4.Oz the Great & Powerful was enjoyable for me.

5.Man of Steel and 6.Elysium were better than the other big dumb action flicks(Star Trek, Iron Man, Pacific Rim, The Wolverine, Oblivion) I saw. Drinking Buddies was almost a complete waste of my time.

still gotta see:
    12 Years A Slave, All Is Lost, Blue Jasmine, The Grandmaster and The Croods. Plus I'm sure there will be some surprises as I rent 2013 movies in 2014.
  15. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    In order, of the films I saw this year:

1. Frozen
    2. Elysium
    3. Despicable Me 2
    4. Oblivion
    5. Man of Steel
  16. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    I've only seen Gravity, Pacific Rim and Star Trek: Into Darkness this year. I loved Gravity and thought it was a fantastic film. Pacific Rim was fun to watch, not an amazing film, but I enjoyed myself a lot, and Star Trek was mediocre. I do plan to see Catching Fire and The Hobbit: The Search for More Money this month though.

Edit: Wait, I saw Jack the Giant Slayer on an airplane. It was pretty average, but better than Star Trek. I think it says a lot more about Star Trek than it does for Jack though.
    Last edited by Point Given, Dec 3, 2013
  17. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Gravity
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Pacific Rim
    Captain Phillips
    Now You See Me
    Rush
    Les Miserables (released in January here)

I'm expecting to add The Hobbit: DOS to this list once it is released later this month.
  18. Sarge Chosen One

star 4
    Gravity and The Book Thief.
    lbr789 and CloneUncleOwen like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I can only recall 12 Years A Slave and Gravity as being good films. Wolverine was bad in an interesting way, and could have been decent were it not for the ending. Basically everything else was garbage.

Wait. . .did Looper come out this year? That was okay, I suppose.
  20. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Upstream Color: miraculously unpretentious.
  21. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Looper was 2012 dawg.
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  22. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    12 Years A Slave, first and foremost

Gravity
  23. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    My Top 3 in no particular order:
    The Avengers
    The Hobbit: Episode II: The Destruction of Smug
    Fast & Furious 6.5
    yankee8255 and Ender Sai like this.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Still too early for me to to put together my overall list for the year yet (especially since many notable ones probably won't be in wide release until Jan or Feb, while others like 12 Years a Slave and The Book Thief are on my immediate to-do list), but off the top of my head the best/most enjoyable films I've seen in theaters year so far include: Gravity, Prisoners, Captain Phillips, Fast 6, Oblivion, Kick-Ass 2, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, The Wolverine, Riddick, Parker, The Last Stand, The Conjuring, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Heat and the 3D IMAX rereleases of Top Gun & Jurassic Park.

Pacific Rim is oh-so-close to being counted among them, but it's hard for me to give it a full-on recommendation since how one takes the cartoon characterizations will completely determine whether one loves the film or just kinda enjoys it as middle of the road fare.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Dec 3, 2013
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Um. It's like 3 weeks til year end Quest. How is it "too early"? :p