main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Listen up Ya Poozers! - Green Lantern movie news

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dawud786, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Now, I could swear there was a GL movie thread around here somewhere... I just can't find it right now. You'd think it'd be on page 1 with all the GL movie news coming out. Full cast is known, Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan and as Green Lantern Sector 2814 has been revealed in Entertainment Weekly last week, and the SDCC panel.

To simplify matters I'm just going to link the SHH! GL page here:

Green Lantern News

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I am so excited for this movie, I can't wait for it to come out. I just want a trailer now with all the images they've shown. I pray this does very well critically and box office wise. DC needs more films other than Batman and Superman.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    It was locked because no one had posted a thing on it in over a year.
    Have sent a request to unlock.

4. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    DC/WB needs to put out a good Superman movie too. Which also looks to be on track with the writer of Batman Begins taking charge of it and Chris Nolan coaching.

I'm pretty excited for GL. I was never much into the comic as a kid but I've been reading up lately, and Secret Orgins was great... so the fact that they are basing this movie off that is a very good sign.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well Christoper Reeve's Superman I and II were great. Superman Returns felt to much like just a tribute to Reeve with Brandon Routh acting like Reeve rather than Superman, that said it wasn't bad but it wasn't the Superman movie we needed. But I am very optimistic with Nolan's involvement in the new Superman reboot.

I'm hoping Green Lantern does very well if only so DC/WB can feel they can make movies about the other DC heroes and make a box office profit. With the utter disaster of Johnah Hex I'm worried that If Green Lantern doesn't completely dominate the box office DC/WB will cancel the other heroes projects and just keep safe with Batman and Superman.

But if Green Lantern can be as good or better as the DC animated Green Lantern First Flight I think it'll be great. They look to be setting it up for a trilogy and that is fine with me.

But in my opinion the sucess of Green Lantern at the box office will determine if we get Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman movies.

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    But will it be better than the Justice League cartoons? That's the real question. I read mostly Marvel, and only a few DC. For me, the Timm-verse defi9ned most of the characters, and did so extremely well. So far, most of the others just don't measure up.

7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    ^Well, the JL and JLU cartoons feature a different GL than we'll be getting. So if you consider GL defined by those shows, you're saying John Stewart, not Hal Jordan. But I agree, the Timmverse is pretty fraking great. I still read Batman books with Conroy's voice in my head. Whenever I read GL Corps I hear John Stewart's voice from JL. Same with Wonder Woman's voice.

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I doubt any live action will be better than anything in the Timmverse. The Dark Knight was great but in my opinion the Mask of the Phantasm still blows it out of the water. And JL and JLU did define most peoples perceptions of the DC characters. My roomate last year was real upset because they were making Green Lantern white, I had to explain to him there were a lot of Green Lanterns. Now he's looking forward to the movie. I bet if they make a Green Lantern Trilogy we'll see John Stewart and maybe Kyle Rayner.

And I definitely agree Kevin Conroy IS Batman. Every book I read it's his voice. Batman TAS had probably the best cast of any animated show I've seen, same with almost all the Timmverse. But Hal Jordan was never on JL or JLU, except for one small cameo for five seconds, so Ryan Reynolds doesn't really have to worry about matching peoples expectations. Now if they ever put in John Stewart a lot of people are going to be expecting to hear Phil LaMarr again.

9. TheGDBatman

TheGDBatman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2010
    There's a thread over in Community as well.

So amped for this flick! I can't wait for them to do the voice cast for the other GLs like Kilowog,

Secret Origin >>>>>>>> First Flight.

There's a strong rumor they're planning a JLA movie, with the original 5 founding members, minus Bats and Supes. I say bring it on!

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    ET Preview. More on Tuesday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBwKMxhtXQ

:D

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Ehhhhhhhh.... I think it would have been better if they had finished the animation and cgi first, it looks really... not good right now.

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think it looks decent. It's nice to see the suit looks like itself for the most part and that the Entertainment Weekly picture was apparently the suit being generated and not how it always will be. ET notably focuses on light-hearted stuff and Ryan being shirtless.

I'm still looking forward to it.

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The CG still has plenty of time. But it's good to see the full suit which shows noticeably darker almost black areas compared to the all green we first saw. The one thing I'm still not sold on is the mask. It really would have been better without the mask or at least a mask with pupils.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Full Trailer.

I'm not digging the suit FX at all, and the trailer focuses on too many of the jokes, but as a teaser it shows some potential.

Still, they could have easily done an whole "oath"-based teaser and been way more effective.

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    More of a Guy Gardner schmuck than the Hal Jordan boy-scout.
    Ok, maybe a Kyle Rainer...

16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    ^I think he's the Secret Origins Hal Jordan smart ass in this one, not the GL poster boy Hal Jordan post-Rebirth.

17. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Guy Gardner! Now that would be a fun movie.

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    BTW, next fall using the GL movie as a springboard WB is giving us an all new Timmverse Green Lantern series on Cartoon Network. Same art style, everything, starring Hal Jordan.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Caught the trailer in front of Deathly Hallows. Nice!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's Timmverse? Awesome!

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Sure, but let's not underestimate the influence of Robert Downey's Tony Stark here. The GL trailer, as much as I like it, plays like a beat-for-beat rehashing of the broad strokes of IM. "Snarky genius/jerk acquires awesome powers, struggles with inner jerk to become awesome, snarky superhero."

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Finally! this is what WB should have been doing since JLU ended.

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Agreed. It'll be interesting to see more the Corps than was glimpsed a few times in JL and JLU.

24. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    When I saw the trailer I thought he looked like Hal but the lines almost seem to fit Ryan's personality. You know he always gets those one liners in films. Uh, Blade Trinity for instance. Like that's part of his contract.

Isn't Timmverse awesome!! I have six lithographs from Batman: animated series. Sent the Joker one to Star Wars convention. It has Mark Hamill's signature.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.