main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Listening to Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TKeira_Lea, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    See, you guys are so much more patient than I am. I quit at Star by Star (for a myriad of reasons, of which Anakin Solo's death was only one) and have tried really hard not to look back, because honestly Star Wars lost the reason I loved it.

It stopped being fun. After a while it was just depressing me every time I opened up the forums. And then, a couple of days ago I picked up Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor at the bookstore where I work and scanned through it.

And you know what? Despite that book's many and varied flaws, it was still fun. It had characters I loved recognizable as themselves, new characters I liked, and an ending that didn't rip my heart out. And so I started poking back around here because I missed that.

I get enough realism in my reality, thanks. I don't need it in my fun, too.

So yeah. A good story starts at the beginning and ends there too, with something being lifted up at the end. And there hasn't been anything uplifting about SW EU for a long, long time now. I wish they'd drop it and do something with a small, localized setting, and just a few characters they can REALLY develop.

-Emmi

Addendum: Force. JM77, I swear I'm not following you around. I had already quoted this when I realized it was you I was quoting.

-So-Not-A-Stalker-Emmi

Addendum the Second: I really, really, REALLY want them to explore that three-year period in between ANH and ESB when Luke was Rogue Leader, and Han was just sticking around "for the time being". It's a weakness.

-Needs-More-Pilot-Luke-Emmi

2. EmperorFel

EmperorFel Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2009
    Have you read Allegiance by Tim Zahn? This is just me, but I enjoyed it. Anyway that's a start. And I think they are following that up with another in that period. Other than that, all you've got is Splinter of the Minds Eye, so that is a pretty big hole in the EU (barring comics, of course).

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I liked Allegiance. Choices of One is the sequel, coming out in July. Unfortunately, Allegiance did not have any pilot Luke or other Rogues. I am hoping that they may make an appearance in CoO.

4. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Since people are talking...

As fanfic writers and readers, what are the top things you'd want to see in the profic books? (Characters, arcs, themes, whatever comes to your head)

Also, what just doesn't translate well to literature and is better left in fanfic?

5. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Not really sure how to answer the first question.

As for the second, I honestly think that the minutiae of the GFFA is best left to fanfic. I like little tidbits every once in awhile on how people in the GFFA live, but it seems like FOTJ (the latest series I'm reading) goes overboard trying to remind us that these are "regular" people.

6. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    New Rogue and Wraith adventures. We're getting one half of that, but specifically I'd like to see them try to make something out of the Legacy era by turning Aaron Allston (and perhaps begging Mike Stackpole) loose on that timeframe.

Allston's got a foundation in place to tell some compelling stories with the Antilles girls and we know at least Syal is military.

7. EmperorFel

EmperorFel Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2009
    First point -
    Characters) if they could stop killing off characters which have half a chance of becoming interesting down the line, that would be good. See, I liked Lon Shevu from LotF, and Dyon Stad more recently. I'll never see them again, though, will I.

Arcs) Soontir Fel leaving for the unknown regions.

Themes) Friendship, love, honest to god relationships.

Second point - twins! Good lord, please keep twins in fanfic.

8. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I have not read many Star Wars books recently - I still buy the books, but then they remain on my reading list for ages and I pass them by to read other, non-related Star Wars books. Why is this? I don't like the direction the EU books have gone since after the end of the New Jedi Order series. My enjoyment of Star Wars novels had started to wan during that series, but there were enough good reads in there (like Star By Star, Vector Prime and a few others (basically the books which were published in hardback first) that kept my interest, but I still didn't like the death of Chewbacca or Anakin Solo. I read the Swarm War triology and hoped that the books were going to get back on form, and although I found them readable, I didn't like them as much as the old Bantam books. I've not got beyond Sacrfice and in the current series, I've not even read one of them, nor have I read Millenium Falcon yet. There's several reasons why I don't like the way the EU novels are going - the fall of Jacen Solo, the fact that characters which should have retired (consider their ages) are still at the forefront of things (as much as I like them, I don't think its realistic, if you can consider a thing like Star Wars to be realistic).

I quite like the books that are centred around the new Clone Wars animated series, mostly because they give me a chance to read books about Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan and other characters from the prequels like Bail Organa. I like this series because they expand on the characters which the previous Clone Wars novels didn't do because they kept changing the Jedi (no character development then). At the moment, these and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor seem to be the only books I'm interested in but the Clone Wars ones don't seem to be releasd quick enough for me.

I was hoping that things would change with the Coruscant Night series (I was hoping that they'd be fresh and new like the X-Wing series was, and of course, I, Jedi and just as well written), but to me Jedi Twilight was like a fan fic - one of the better written ones of course, but not something that I'd want to pay for. The Darth Bane novels and Cross Current have been like that to me as well. I've not read the Old Republic novels and I'm not sure that they interest me - I've nothing against Knights of the Old Republic but they just don't seem to hold my interest.

What I'd like to see? Some more X-Wing novels, though that looks unlikely. I'd like to see some adult novels about Obi-Wan's early life before the Phantom Mence and more stuff about Qui Gon (he seems to be one of the most neglected main characters in the entire Saga). I'd also like to see some stuff about Anakin Skywalker before Attack of the Clones. I know that there are some a couple of series for younger readers, but I find these hard to find because they are out of print or haven't been released properly in the UK. I'd also like to see some stuff take place in the years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope (yeah, I know that authors are having to stear clear of this because of clashes with the live action TV show but if they aren't allowing novels, then I just wish they'd get on with the show...)

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. More Clone Wars adventures. Please. Particularly involving Anakin and Obi-Wan, so that we can see full-force the friendship that old Ben discusses in ANH. But I would also like to see the other Jedi--Mace Windu, Plo Kloon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Aayla Secura. And yes, more Bail Organa--I'd like to see some insight on his and Breha's discussions on adopting a baby girl, although that wouldn't translate into an entire novel, just a segment of a novel. More Mon Mothma too.

And I'll reiterate my request for an Anakin/Padme centric novel, and I'd prefer that Karen Miller or Karen Traviss write it. The movies don't show us enough of them to give us a real gist of their romance, and TCW series hasn't given us much more.

2. Sadly, as much as I love them, AUs. As much as I enjoy "what if" scenarios involving either a big event changing or a small event or series of small events changing, that's probably best left to us, as we'll all have different perspectives on what might have happened.

10. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Okay after talking with Lane_Winree, here's my wishlist for books:

1. The smuggler-a-thon book we've been talking about. Mara and Lando on their search for Jorj Car'das. Karrde can appear because he's the one who sent them on the mission. Booster can appear because Mara and Lando worked out of the Errant Venture for at time. Han can show up to mess with the "happy couple." Luke can show up and there can be sooooo much awkward sexual tension. (That's one of the things the Bantam books were sorely lacking - build-up to the Luke and Mara relationship!) This can be either written by Tim Zahn or Matt Stover.

2. The long-talked about Skywalker family adventure. Luke, Mara, and Ben being cool between DNT and LotF. Written by Tim Zahn or Christie Golden.

3. More stories during the New Republic era. People say this era is played and too full, but I miss it, and there are so many stories to tell:
    - The final battles between Ackbar vs. Pellaeon. Rogue Squadron can be involved. Written by Michael A. Stackpole.
    - Books about the Jedi in Luke's Order. Corran isn't the only one who deserves a book of his own. A Kyp book that actually delves into his actions at Carida would be awesome.
    - More books in the vein of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.
    - Any book in which Luke and Mara get to interact before they are married!

4. More Rogue and Wraith stories! Written by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston, starring the new generation and creating new characters.

5. Stories about the Empire. We had an X-wing series - why not a TIE fighter series starring Baron Fel? Stackpole said he loves writing Fel and I'd love to know more about him.

6. A Jag book. He's the future Emperor.

7. Side stories about minor characters during the FotJ era.

I think a major problem with the post-RotJ era right now is that there is only one storyline going on at a time. Back in the Bantam days, there were stories with the Big Three and then the X-wing series featuring minor characters. I think that LotF and FotJ would have worked much better as eras, rather than one big storyline. Nothing could make me like LotF, but I thin FotJ would have been fantastic if it featured one trilogy the Luke and Ben stuff, a book or two featuring the Coruscant plotline, side stories with the Rogues and other organizations like that, etc.

So anyway. That's all I have to say about that.

11. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    You might find this Lit [thread interesting. Discusses apathy for the Star Wars EU.

Knight Errant struck me as a fanfic as well, not a writer gettting down and dirty and telling a story. Frankly, I've read better fanfic, and it's free.

Do you know about Allston's upcoming Wraith Squadron book?

I'd personally love a Padme-centric novel (or an Anakin/Padme adventure) but I'm not sure we'll see that while Lucas has got TCW out. It's not like they haven't done these type of stories with Anakin and Obi-Wan or Obi-Wan and Qui Gon; it would just have a tinge of romance with A/P.

JediMara77, I have to say I love all your ideas, especially the Jag book. You know the sad part is Allston and Denning seem to have fun writing him, and he's no longer floating in that Captain Cardboard zone as some liked to call him. I'd love a book about all the Fels as a kickbutt family, and of course the Soontir/Wynssa backstory.

12. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I think we're all holding our breath on that one. Hopefully it's a sign that Del Rey is finally willing to branch out from the Mega Plot Of the Next Three Years model and let writers handle smaller conflicts in an effort to make the EU less insular.

I'm really happy they're giving Allston the freedom to write a Wraith novel again. Hopefully they continue to give him the space to work on these side stories, because the EU really needs some more variety.

13. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    I understand the "holding your breath" feeling totally. I think Allston has been so restricted by writing six books in a row that lead up to a conclusion he's not in charge of. It's got to be frustrating. I can't imagine writing a fanfic round robin and always being the kick off writer. The X-wing books were always good at creating immediate conflicts that weren't galaxy shattering. *crosses fingers*

14. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I had a look at the first page, and this one, and I have to say, for all everyone is asking for characters to live, there is one character I would like to see killed off as quickly as possible. Let me assure you, it's already four years too late in coming. Ahsoka Tano. If we get flamed for writing Mary-Sues, why is George Lucas allowed to repay our loyalty by spitting in our faces with that?! Anyway, that's just me.... :p

In profic, I would like to see Obi-Wan paired with someone other than Anakin once in a while. Before you say anything, I know it's been done. Like three times. I'd also like to see them do their research for once, and get terms, and character descriptions correct....

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Whoa, dem's fightin' words. :p Kind of reminds me of the wars several years ago between the people who love Mara Jade and the people who think she's a Mary Sue. To this day I'm afraid to write Mara. I don't have a strong opinion of her one way or another, but I am afraid of writing her "wrong".

I actually wouldn't mind Ahsoka being killed off, not because I think she's a Mary Sue--I don't--but because of all the reasons she's not around in ROTS, that one is the least painful to watch, and would also fuel Anakin's desperate need to save Padme rather than losing someone else he cares about. The other option is the Council reassigning her because Anakin is too "attached". :rolleyes: I'll lose the modicum of respect I have for them if that happens.

As far as Obi-Wan, The Cestus Deception pairs him with Kit Fisto, I'm not sure what else has been done in that regard outside the TV series with Quinlan Vos. To me there isn't enough TCW era pro-fic out there, period, and we could do with more Anakin/Ahsoka missions, Anakin/Obi-Wan missions, and Obi-Wan/other Jedi missions. In addition to an Anakin/Padme novel, I would pay for a politics-based novel starring Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma.

16. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I used to like Mara Jade but that was pre NJO. I did wonder if it was because she married Luke, but I remember at the time not being all that concerned about it (and besides, it was a Mike Stackpole written comic/graphic novel that did it so at the time I didn't mind). It was when she wasn't allowed to be herself anymore after the marriage which grated me. I think she could have been developed a lot better.

As for Ahsoka being a Mary-Sue, I can see why people can think of her that way, but I put it down to her not being as well written as she could have been, rather than the character herself. There's only so much characterisation that you can do in a TV series, espeacially if it's a cartoon, which would be done more in depth in a live action show/film or a book. Comics sometimes lack character depth as well and it's even more apparent when the comic has loads of characters (I'm thinking about things like the X-men here). But Ashoka does need to be killed off for the timeline continuity and it could be used as part of Anakin's descent into the Dark side. (at least that would be how I would do it.)

It is interesting that there might be a new Wraith Book, but I'll only believe it when I have the book in my hands - the Zekk one (which had my interest) was scrapped, sadly and there's a podcast with Mike Stackpole on here somewhere...intruging...

TKeira_Lea, I took a look at the thread you've directed me to. It's interesting to see that people are avoiding buying hardbacks now for the same reason that I do. In the 90s I didn't buy them because I couldn't afford them and waited for the paperback. Now I choose not to buy them because I don't want to spend nearly 20 quid on a book I may not like.

17. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I might be going a bit too far here, but hey! What's the worse that could happen? As far as Ahsoka being killed off, it shouldn't need to happen, because she shouldn't exist. Here me out! I'm not actually saying that because I don't like the character. Rather, the whole Clone Wars cartoon is merely a money grabbing ploy of plotless drivel. Authorised SW media (book, comic, TV or otherwise) has lost its soul.

As a result of my coming to this conclusion, I very rarely read profic now. Only those written by specific authors anyway.

That's just me, though. At least I'll always have fanfic.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I disagree. TCW series fills in a lot of gaps. The prequels involve stories and dynamics too complicated to be told in six hours of film. I like seeing so much more of the Anakin/Obi-Wan friendship, the secondary characters that get almost no screen time in the film (such as Plo Kloon, Aayla Secura, Kit Fisto, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, etc.), the manipulation by Palpatine that led to the war and the collapse of the Republic. We've seen a little more of Anakin and Padme's marriage as well, although I wish the series would do more with that. As far as Ahsoka, she serves a purpose. She shows Anakin as a teacher and a surrogate parent, shows a little of what he might have been like as a father in a happier universe, aside from the five minutes we get between Anakin and Luke at the end of ROTJ. She also becomes one other being to whom he attaches himself, and I think that is going to be important as the story continues, either with the Jedi Council reassigning her because Anakin is too "attached" or with her death, and her becoming one more person that Anakin failed to save.

It depends on where your personal interests lie--I needed more than what I got in the six hours of prequel filming, I needed to see the war and the gaps between AOTC and ROTS, and TCW delivers that, both the series and the books. It could be argued that all the SW films are money-grabbing ploys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.