main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Forum Project: Help with Timetales.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hello Everyone,

When a document gets to the size of nearing 600 pages, such as Timetales, as loathe as I am to admit it, there is bound to be the occasional error or two.
    As a project for the literature forum, I would like to invite people to proof read the document to search for any chronological errors or inconsistencies, or I would
    like your interpretation of events, etc . . .

Is anyone prepared to help? I think that obviously the lit forum members are most suited to this task! :)

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'll do it...do you want grammatical errors as well?

3. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Count me in.

And I have a suggestion. How about an expansion of Timetales to include character sketches? Sketches written by forum members.

4. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    From what I remember, Sidious was spelled Sideous. (which is incorrect)

5. Shynryobi

Shynryobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2001
    Even though I am new at this stuff, I will help!

6. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I'd certainly love to do some character sketches, and if I have time, I'll proofread the TimesTales too.

7. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks everyone!

Mastadge - yes grammer as well. Spelling could be different, as Australian is differnt than American, ie: honour vs. honor.

I have fixed all the Sidious spelling, all that I saw that was wrong anyway.

What do you mean by character sketches?

Get reading! :)

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Do you mean drawings? That would be cool!

9. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I believe what he means bye character sketches is that we should have pages outlining important Characters and their signifigance, possibly interpretation and speculation about their role in the EU.

But drawings would be cool too.

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I would have to see a draft of one to see the concept fully, but it really sounds intriguing.

11. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I didn't mean sketches as in drawings.

Yes, writing about their signifigance certianly and their personality, thereby opening up the door to speculation.

12. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    On the subject of timetales I have a request. Could you make the main page of timetales more accessible in Netscape. It works fine in IE but everytime I open it in Netscape it doesn't show most of the page. Normally this doesn't bother me but when I'm at work some of the computers have bad copies of IE so I am unable to waste away the hours looking at timetales because I can't load some of the pages!

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Do you want us to just post everything here or email you, or are you going to "assign" us sections, or what?

14. LaraNotsil

LaraNotsil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2000
    Im in, as long as i dont get assigned the Marvel stuff, I only do Dark Horse and Books

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, I could perhaps help with the sections Lara is loathe to touch. After all, I've been known to read a Marvel comic now and then.

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    In terms of "character sketches" -- since TimeTales is inspired by the ST chronology, at the end of the chronology they have mini-bios of all major characters and planets, and then mini timelines with the major events or happenings of those characters and planets and ships. Could be a cool feature.

17. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Timetales is a great project (which I check out quite regularly, by the bye), and I would be very happy to help out in the editing, as I work as a copy-editor for my university's newspaper, performing grammatical corrections, rewrites, and the like.

There are perhaps a couple of points in Timetales (largely of a subtle nature) which I might bring to light, if you'd like to have me involved...?

18. FighterJock

FighterJock Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 28, 2000
    for "character sketches", just go to the unofficial star wars enecyclopedia. What would be best for me is a more "dumbed-down" directory of events. Sometimes, I waste too much time trying to find events. I'm not a computer-type, so I don't what I can tell you to make it better, sorry!

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    If you could email them to michael.x.potts@kmart.com.au that would be great, plus CC starwarsfan77@hotmail.com

Mastadge, I like the idea of little timelines. I have started that already, I have tables at the back, leaders of the galaxy, and for the release of next months .doc file, there is Naboo Royalty and Dark Lords of the Sith.

Can't wait to see the results!

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    As well as emailing me, I have decided - can you also post here as well, because other helpers can help debate the particular topic.

21. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I've read sections 1-3 strait through over the course of a few months. I noticed quite a few spelling and grammar errors. I know different spellings exist in different parts of the world, but I thought grammar was the same for all forms of the English language.

Most mistakes were minor things like run-on sentances and weird wording. I don't really want to read through all of the sections I have already read. I do plan to read the sections I havn't read, and if I find any grammar mistakes I will be sure to inform you.

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thankyou!

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    First one: section 1.1 very beginning:

You guys have the creation of the galaxy around 10 billion years BSW4, and yet the statistical info about the amount of stars in the galaxy and the size of the galaxy are in the section previous to that, 13.5 billion years BSW4. Additionally, the info about the midichlorians should probably be linked to the info about the force and the evolution of life forms rather than thrown in with the Big Bang, as that material was just raw matter, not life.

Do you want rewritten versions or d o you just want us to point stuff out so you can take care of it?

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'll elaborate:

quote:
    ------------------------------------------
    c. -13,500,000,000 BSW4
    The Big Bang. Out of the Great Void came the universe, its? galaxies, star systems and suns. Everything that exists, and will ever exist, was spawned from the primordial plasma of time?s beginning. Over billions of years planets formed and life arose through a steady progression of increasingly complex organisms. Woven into and intertwined with all of this ? from the smallest molecule to the largest star ? was the Force. Symbiont and residing within cells in all life forms are the Midichlorians, a microscopic life form that is intertwined with the Force. These tiny life forms communicate with the Force and reveal its? will.

There are approximately 400,000,000,000 numbers of stars in the galaxy. This is about 400 billion. Around half of these have planets that support some form of life. 10% of those developed life on their own, and one in a thousand of these worlds developed sentient life (about 20 million forms of sentient life).

The length of the galaxy is 120,000 light years across.

The Force is an essential part of nature ? like energy or matter ? but it has yet to be quantified and analysed. The Force is not to be understood in the same manner as physical qualities of the universe. The laws of physics are observable; technology is predictable and readily ? controlled. The Force is neither controlled nor controlling ? it is part of life itself; asking if it controls or can be controlled is like asking if a person controls his component cells, or the cells control him. It is not known whether the Force has always been, came about as life evolved into intelligence, or if it coerced the evolution of intelligence. To the Jedi, it does not matter. It?s enough to know that the Force is.

c. -10,000,000,000 BSW4
    The Star Wars Galaxy is formed by the gravitational collapse of a large cloud of dust and gas
    ---------------------------------------

would probably make more sense like so:
    ----------------------------------------
    c. 13,500,000,000 BSW4

The Big Bang. Everything that exists, that will ever exist, is spawned from the primordial plasma of time?s beginning. Out of the Great Void comes the universe. Over billions of years, galaxies will form from this matter, and in them eventually star systems and suns.

c. 10,000,000,000 BSW4

The Star Wars Galaxy is formed by the gravitational collapse of a large cloud of dust and gas. When it settles, this galaxy is 120,000 light years across. There are approximately 400,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy ? <i>400 billion</i>! Around half of these have planets that will support some form of life, but of those 200 billion, only on about 10 percent will life evolve on its own, and only 1 in 1,000 of these worlds will develop sentient life (about 20 million forms of sentient life). Woven into and intertwined with all of this ? from the smallest molecule to the largest star, is the Force. The Force is an essential part of nature ? like energy or matter ? but it has yet to be quantified and its nature defies analysis. The Force is not to be understood in the same manner as the physical qualities of the universe. The laws of physics are observable; technology is predictable and readily controlled. The Force is neither controlled nor controlling ? it is part of life itself. Asking if the Force controls or is controlled is like asking if a being controls his component cells, or if the cells control him. For that is the nature of a being?s connection with the Force ? symbiont and residing within the cells of all life forms are Midichlorians, a microscopic life form that is intertwined with the Force. These tiny life forms communicate with the Force and reveal its will. It is not known whether the Force has always been, if it came about as life evolved into intelligence, or if the Force itself coerced the evolution of life. To the Jedi, it does not matter. It is enough to know that the Force <i>is</i>.
    ----------------------------

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks!

Any other status reports?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.