main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lit NOOB

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheTonyG, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTonyG

TheTonyG Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I joined because I've been enjoying the Rebels series, and in so doing have discovered the thing called the Expanded Universe.
    Now, I've been a SW fan since the beginning. I was 7 in '77, so I was right there in the demographic wheelhouse. I loved and still love the original films, and now my 6 year old son is also a huge fan. I couldn't be happier. My wife could.
    What does this have to do with Books, Comics, and Expanded Universe? After the introduction of Thrawn to the Rebels tv show, I read a lot of threads in other forums discussing him. I had never heard of him, since I've never read any of the EU. So now I want to start reading, and I've discovered a list of all the EU books in chronological order. It's a long, long list. Since I am a bit obsessive compulsive about some things, I want to start with Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void and just slog through the entire list. But, that is rather daunting, and I assume there are some lemons in there. So, to satisfy my desire to read chronologically and really only hit the high points, what should I read?
    (Have I made this post unnecessarily long enough for you?)

Please take this conversation to the other thread Coop helpfully linked, below.

And welcome to Lit! :)

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Your post is not unnecessarily long, but I assure you the EU is. You'll find fans and detractors of pretty much everything (here in particular), but you'll also find that big chunks of EU fandom are inclined toward or against whole eras of the EU (both in-universe eras like the New Jedi Order and real-life eras like Bantam's) purely because what was going on there isn't to their personal taste. The nice thing about the huge amount of EU material is that there's bound to be a fair amount that you'd like no matter what interests you, but if you're at all (like, at all) hesitant to really buckle down and Read Everything, I'd suggest just bailing on that plan now. You'd be much better served by doing a little digging on Wookieepedia and seeing what sounds interesting to you. If Thrawn's appearance on Rebels is what brought you to this point, you could do far worse than starting with the original Thrawn trilogy--which as it happens was just reprinted with shiny new covers!

I should also point out that Lit's official Welcome Thread has a much more extensive answer to this question--and is usually the place where this discussion takes place, rather than having a new thread for every time someone asks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.