main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LitBoard: Torches and Forks..

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, its always been kind of nostalgic when that Fox logo music starts playing. Though since you bring it up, wonder what a Star Wars-theme Disney castle would look like. I think they've done variants for Tron, John Carter and Pirates of the Caribbean. Probably something with a lightsaber sound effect.

Imagine them releasing Star Wars DVDs once every few years as "Diamond Editions", it would be nice to have the Blu-rays, DVDs and a digital copy all in one set. Although it would probably be really expensive too.

2. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I've been reading the EU off and on for probably close to thirty years. There's no way I would burn or throw out my favorite books, comics, sourcebooks etc. even if Disney did reboot the heck out of everything. You'll have to pry my copies of the Thrawn trilogy out of my cold dead hands :p.

3. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Fox is still going to distribute. GL is now Disney's biggest shareholder.

JStepp likes this.
  4. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Behind Steve Jobs Estate. GL owns 2.6% of Disney Steve Jobs owns 7.7% because he founded Pixar. I wonder how much the Disney family owns.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  6. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    I'm hoping Disney only puts their name in the end credits then. Honestly, it'd probably be a smart move for them not to tamper with classic Star Wars opening. In any case, I expect they'll take a relatively hands off approach like they have with Marvel.

7. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    There are very few things that would make me quit Star Wars. I can handle the occasional bad script, (small) continuity pothole, and controversial decision. However, things have ocurred over the past few days that have really shaken my faith in Star Wars:

1) Lucas "selling out" in the first place. I support his decision to protect his story while he embarks on personal pursuits. However, I feel that his actions have gone against erything that Lucasfilm is. From the very beginning it was a rebel force, doing its own thing no matter what the other corporations said. Now that it is the property of arguably the biggest corporate behemoth that exists on the planet, I feel as if its integrity is undermined.

2) It seems as if Disney is not interested in what loyal fans want. From what we've heard so far, it sounds like Disney will be focusing solely on the "new" generation that can be drawn in. In fact, there was a report that a press conference attendee was interrupted because their question was focused on the SW story and not on product placement. Lucasfilm used to have relatively open communications with fans. I fear that fans won't be given a second thought once production begins on new material. As things stand now, I have my doubts that Disney has the right priorities in mind when approaching the future of SW.

3) The buyout and its "benefits" have been pushed down our throats. The OS has been redesigned to spout pro-Disney propaganda. This feeling is compounded by reports from people like CeiranHarmony of negative posts on the OS being deleted and even censored/rewritten. I just don't feel comfortable with the fact that we may not be getting the whole truth here. Behind all those smiley faces and exclamation points, some really negative ramifications for the Saga could be lurking

Sorry for the Great Wall of Text, but I wanted to express my concerns regarding the buyout. I've been relatively silent over the last few days, mainly because I cannot grasp the fact that, for the first time ever, the creative team we've trusted for 35 years no longer has control over their story. I always told myself that, as long as there were passionate, caring people at the helm, I would never ever give up on Star Wars. I never imagined that something like this would happen. Frankly, I'm very, very worried, mostly because I may not have any really good reasons to justify my fandom anymore.

JackG and Darth_Foo like this.
  8. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I know it sound dramatic and childish, but I think I might actually quit SW. Like many of you, I'm getting older and the products seemed to be leaving me behind as it was. I think this moved is specifically engineered to dump us old fans that were looking for a way out anyway, and grab some new kids for future exploitation.
    I've read 400+ books and comics and only watched 6-ish movies, so the EU has become more important to me than the movies. Especially since there is so much more quality in the EU than in the recent films and TCW. So killing the EU is basically killing SW for me in general.

9. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    I haven't quit DC or Marvel, and they dick around with their own continuities on a regular basis. Also, I think Disney is being blamed for stuff Lucas and LFL had been planning already. From what I've heard, LFL started getting serious about the sequel trilogy well before the deal.

10. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I doubt I would quit Star Wars entirely in the case of a dramatically canon altering scenario. I can see my approach going three ways, depending on what happens:

First, a Post-Crucible or Post-Legacy where canon is respected - no change, I'd remain very interested in Star Wars, especially if the new movies are you know, good (which is maybe a 33% chance, with 33% for mediocre/forgettable and 33% for awful).

Second, canon is more or less retained, with some retcons, to the end of the New Republic Era, the NJO and post gets the axe (if you're going to jump in, that is the logical moment to make the move) and a new EU timeline is spun out from 25-ABY onward. I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation. Frankly, I don't like the NJO at all, and have constructed multiple personal AU concepts where it never happened, and I've never written a post-NJO fanfic nor intend to. Dark Nest, LotF, and FotJ have been brutally dissapointing, and while Legacy was great, and the Jaden Korr books have been decent, I'm inclined to think a new go-round could do it better. This situation would leave me highly torn, and I think it would really, really depend on what these new movies (and any other materials that come with) manage to accomplish.

Third, canon is struck by a massive continuity apocalypse, wiping out just about everything post-Endor. This brings me to a point of pseudo-quitting. I would watch new movies, sure, I would want to see them even if they're awful just for a personal sense of closure, but that would be it. No new EU involvement, no new purchases, no more fanfiction, nothing. Three decades of effort have gone into building a massive space opera universe that is the current EU, destroying all post-Endor material means the annihilation of that construct, and any an all potential to keep a viable continuity, and thus build a grand, detailed universe once again. I'd rather go find another one instead.

There's other space operas out there, many of them with a better grounding in modern science that make them much more accessible (the foundations of the Star Wars universe are hindered by a reliance on some outdated concepts of computer technology and biotech).

It's worth noting that Star Wars has already been rebooted into the 21st Century once this past decade. It's called Mass Effect. A few months ago Mass Effect looked like the space opera of the future, a universe of boundless potential that could probably have created its own vast EU (it had comics and other tie-ins growing and movies planned). Then Bioware proceeded to ruin it all by whiffing on the conclusion in an almost unprecedented way.

By the way, disney execs, if by some chance you're reading this, take that to heart. MEIII was a fantastic game. It's ending ruined the whole blasted universe. In Star Wars the EU has spent decades building up a massive buffer agaisnt such mistakes, and did so in the case of the Prequels. If you blow of the EU and the movies fail, then you've just set 4 billion dollars on fire.

Zorrixor and CeiranHarmony like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How long have you been reading both for?

12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    It would hurt me if they de-canonized all of the Post ROTJ EU material. Even the stuff I don't like. I really don't like it when the Clone Wars changes existing cannon for no good reason, so this could be pretty bad. However, I will gladly go see the new movies but I would also be extremely hesitant to invest in any new EU material. If it can be cast aside once, it can be cast aside again just as easily. I don't want a Marvel or DC-esque continuity at all costs. I would almost prefer a reboot over what I think will happen. I still have hope that these movies will take place in the far future or at least post 50 ABY at a minimum, however my gut says that won't happen.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What some sentients not know is, the entire post-Endor Expanded Universe exists in permanent awaiting of new movies since it's very beginnings.

Kevin J. Anderson has written in the original Dark Empire Trade Paperback published 1993:
    "When you read Dark Empire, or any other novels, remember that although Lucasfilm has approved them, these are our sequels, not George Lucas'. If Lucasfilm ever makes films that take place after Return of the Jedi, they will be George Lucas' own creation, probably with no connection to anything we have written."

Timothy Zahn has said something similiar about the Thrawn trilogy.

The writers themselves agree that George Lucas can do anything he wants with Star Wars.

And come on, the Young Jedi Knights books are some of the best novels ever (not only Star Wars), the X-Wing series is really cool, the New Jedi Order is epic but also has many flaws (Anakin Solo's death?) like Dark Empire, but otherwise a big part of the post-Endor EU is really dumb. From a certain point of view... I just say: Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi.

So far, Adrian the Cool

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    No half-reboot will satisfy everyone. So, in that vein, I propose we have no reboots.

lukemaraben, fistofan1 and blackmyron like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I just realized that the next Toy Story movie will, without a shadow of doubt, have Star Wars figures in it.

Zorrixor and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    That, actually, may be the first thing I have heard regarding this whole sale that is totally and unequivocally a positive development.

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I would love to see Pixar get involved in a CGI star wars project.

Overall, I am rather meh about this news. Most of my focus on characters and continuity has been focused on Community, and I'm also a warhammer fan, which means I am not nearly as obsessed with perfect continuity as I may have been a few years back. Before the Dark Times. Before Traviss and Denning.

Jedifirefly5, RC-1991, JackG and 3 others like this.
  18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    :cool:

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    True DC and Marvel mess around with their continuities on a regular basis, but their universe's rules are a lot more flexible. Which is why when characters like Anakin Solo and Mara Jade are so definitively killed off it really leaves a big gap.

Bringing up Mass Effect, even if Episode VII and VIII turn out great but Episode IX crashes and burns, its going to ruin the whole experience. Although in ME's case, I wasn't completely surprised as Bioware wrote themselves into a corner with an unstoppable foe so they needed a silly solution to solve things.

If things crash and burn, I probably won't buy any more Star Wars stuff (read, maybe, but otherwise). Not that I was buying much recently anyway outside of Star Wars comics and the occasional sourcebooks, but Dark Horse will probably lose the license in the next few years and who knows how many more retcons or revised Essential Guides will be needed to even attempt to make sense.

A reboot or even Infinitization of the current EU might be better than them just tossing it all out to make room, but guess it depends on what kind of story they want to tell. The prequels are quite different from the OT, different story and different era and different generation, but still plenty of links between them. For the ST, it could just be all brand new in an available era or it could steam roll over anything in its way. Which... has probably been said hundreds of times by now in the last few days, its just hard to stop worrying.

20. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm a long-time fan of the post-Endor EU. If that continuity is gone, than I'll quit buying. It's simple as that. It was fun while it lasted, but I guess everything must eventually end. I have no interest in an alternate universe or starting over from scratch - I don't have that kind of energy anyway!

I will always be a SW fan, though - just a somewhat less hardcore one. I'll occasionally revisit the books, sourcebooks and comics that I love. I'll go see these new movies, to see what the hell they are about. Maybe I will even like them!

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Well that's true.

22. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    What seems to have not been said yet is that it is entirely possible for Disney to greedily make big bucks without having to wipe out the EU as we know it. How can this be?

1. The big bucks from the movies tend to be driven by youth
    2. Youth are more impressed by special effects than story
    3. Youth have probably not read as much EU as the rest of you
    4. Disney might figure this out
    5. New movie could incorporate EU continuity with special effects
    6. Youth would think this is new and exciting
    7. the rest of us would be happy that EU still exists in a shiny new light
    8. Disney figures this out and everyone wins!

23. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Why?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I agreed with every poster until the last one. :p

Force Smuggler and _Catherine_ like this.
  25. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007