main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Literature board respect

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vergere, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Although Chissdude takes it well and a few others, we still need to be careful of what we type.

After all this is not a face to face meeting or phone call, this is text so we cannot tell if someone is upset.
    We might think they are upset when it's a joke, we think it's a joke when it's the truth, etc.
    So be careful and make sure it's a joke or the truth before you type (just listen to your gut like Corran).

2. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    Vergere, thanks you for your kind words of encouragement. I know some of the EU authors lurk around this forum from time to time, and it's a shame that they have to wade through so much criticism of their work. Most of it is just unfounded, while some is thoughtful and constructive. I'm sure their skin is thick enough to take a few hits, but it must be demoralizing at least for those authors who genuinely care about fan feedback and try to do their best for us. To those who thoughtlessly condemn books and authors here, I ask: How many novels have YOU written? How many of these were published? And how many copies have been sold? When you get some credentials to back up what you spew forth here, perhaps then will it have some meaning. I used to be a musician- played alto, tenor and bari sax. Was (and still am) a jazz fan. The number of jazz critics who could hold their own as musicians could be counted on less than the full number of fingers on one hand in those days. These few were the only ones taken seriously by the jazz artists. Kindest regards & joyeaux noelle...

3. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Wow! I can feel the love for Chissdude coming through the net. I've never made anyone faint before. Is this a Jedi thing?

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I like this thread. I agree on the fact that not everyone here has as good grasp on English language as some do. I do not mean to offend anybody, but it is a fact, as here are people who aren't native English speakers, but instead are only learning the language and try their best.

what I'm saying is that we should all do our best to not to be sloppy with our posts, and be nice to people, and keep our criticism constructive.

Ara
    (This post probably has about three billion spelling mistakes in it...)

5. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Very interesting.
    I was never met with anything but respect when i was in a newbie phase, and I thank those oldbies who cut me enough slack during the time and cultivated my respect in turn.

But I am concerned by the tone of some of these posts.
    Firstly, I agree in part with what Gandolf said.
    Respect is earn't, but this does not mean disrespect is the default setting.

I recall a theme from the classical Dune trilogy, wherein Leto II puts in place a type of 'enforced tranquility', to keep the peace.
    We should not in any way condone a system where if someone is displeased or not happy with a post/poster, they are unable to say something.

If peradventure, you are not entirely pleased with the manner in which someone posts, or the content, quality, or relevance of their particular posts in question, you should IN NO WAY, be expected to stay quiet about it.

Say something, tell the person/s in question, whether by PM or in the thread. Do not be afraid to voice your displease, but PLEASE be aware of the manner in which you voice such an opinion.

It all comes down to our level of civility. To sum what I am saying up in a more concise form, I would see "Actually, I think it said in X chapter that XX died, so it can't be him." is acceptable, whilst "Are you crazy? That guy died in XXX you idiot! What a sad excuse for a JCer you are..." is not.

I may be using rather extreme examples, but my point is clear i would hope. The manner in which you deliver your criticism/praise is what is important, not the fact that you are actually voicing an opinion.

To use a SW example, it is not the end result that may lead to the Dark Side, but the method which you employ to reach that end.

If you are going to pick someone up on something, perhaps a smile and kind word would be more effective then Force Lightning.

Thank you all for bothering to read my 0.2 credits.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, to continue the thread, people should remember that their personal feelings towards characters and books may be REGARDLESS of how good the actual book is. For instance, with the recent demise of certain characters in Star by Star -- I happened to think that THOSE EVENTS sucked hardcore. However, I have acknowledged in other posts that Star by Star was, to me, by far the BEST WRITTEN of the EU novels. Hence you can disagree with certain aspects of a book, and still acknowledge the book in other positive ways. But just saying "Man, Star by Star sucked! I can't believe they did that (expletive)!" doesn't convey your point correctly and doesn't convey respect to the various authors who write the books and come to the boards to chat with us.

Also, though people make spelling/grammar mistakes and such, I'm just glad that there are such varying age groups posting here at all. I'm always shocked (in a good way) when I find 12/13 YO people with as much passion for Star Wars as us older folk. and I'm sure the people decades older than me (25) feel much the same way about our age group... =)

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Well I would say ive really matured in my threads.

8. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    This is an interesting thread, and it's really cool to see how considerate everyone is... I almost pity those ignorant people out thre who think star wars fans are just nerds and geeks... They should visit this place. It's a real community...

I also have to say that I've never experienced any nastiness directed specifically at me on account of my 'newbie' status...

And I do try to keep my posts readable, although I am guilty of the three dots which i just can't stop writing...

see!

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Most of the people in this Literature board are nice, but a few can be rude like DarthBoba when they attack certain people.

But i take it all in stride, after all this is just Star Wars.

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Please forgive a blatent ommission in my above post.

I forgot to mention that in my opinion, ChissDude has more then cemented his place in this forum.

Your posts are always containing true enthusiasm and imagination, which in context, is remembered far longer then any failure to cross the t's and dot your i's.

Good job, and good luck with your future posts.

11. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    On one hand, I think that people should try to check their grammar etc. On the OTHER hand, I guess that we should give other posters the benefit of the doubt and as a common courtesy assume that they are trying to get their points across as best as they can. Instead of making fun of peoples grammar (and I admit, I do this sometimes) we should ask for clarification.

On yet ANOTHER hand however, I feel that sometimes people react a bit too strongly to sarcasm :D

Now, how many hands am I holding up?

12. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    My only comment is to ask people to remember that this board goes world wide, so grammer and spelling will be different.

New people look at this board and go WOW finally a place to ask questions, they are NEW which is why they ask questions-they want to and try very hard to fit in.

We(for the most part 99% are tolerant)must try to help new people fit in. Overall I think we do a great job but if you see someone being given a hard time--step in on those that are not tolerant(don't break the rules)but word your responses so the new person understands that their input is welcomed.

Just my 2c worth.

13. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I would like to add that threads like this show how good many SW fans really are. I have been in quite a few other message boards and most of them don't have respectful posters like I have seen here. My hat's off to you all.

14. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been to quite a few SW boards since I became interested, but many of them seemed to have quite a standoffish approach to newbies, and I often ended up just lurking for a week or so then deciding against posting and leaving once I see how they treat ousiders. The people here seem to be much more willing to accept newbies and welcome them instead of insulting or ignoring them. In short, you guys rock! :)

15. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    I agree with PL and the rest of you. These boards are the best I've been to, so let's try to BE NICE! :)

16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    My only comment is to ask people to remember that this board goes world wide, so grammer and spelling will be different.

All the more reason to try to use the best spelling and grammer that we can. Given that these people are already reading a foreign language, shouldn't we try to make things a little easier for them by using proper english?

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    ¿What speaketh thouest aboutst?

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "All the more reason to try to use the best spelling and grammer that we can. Given that these people are already reading a foreign language, shouldn't we try to make things a little easier for them by using proper english?"

Of course if someone does make mistakes, for whatever reason; No one should resort to ad hominem attacks because of it. Best to ignore it, if you can't say anything nice at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.