main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Literature Forum Reference: Rules, Index, Release Dates & weekly Marvel Comics shipping updates

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't checked Book Depository, but I imagine they have similar deals, if not as good as that deal.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, though they are part of the Evil Empire (Amazon) - so it comes down to whether you wish to support them.

(Truth is it's very difficult not to buy anything from Amazon or one of their acquisitions.)

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh I didn't know they were owned by Amazon. Probably because I haven't used them in a while. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They were great... Before the dark times, before Amazon....

I'm serious, their offers and competitiveness went way down after acquisition - took a few months but they got whacked in the end.

5. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Just glancing at the site yeah the discounts do seem a lot smaller than BD was historically known for. Shame.

At least eBay is still autonomous (I think).

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wordery and SpeedyHen are my top two - think they're both independent still.

Both are UK-only operators though.

7. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol we have no more alternative retailers in the United States of Corporations. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Did we ever have any to begin with? Amazon was always the cheap option compared to Barnes & Noble, Borders, or Books-a-Million...

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Confirmed for 13 January:
    • STAR WARS TP VOL 02 SHOWDOWN ON THE SMUGGLERS MOON $19.99
    Tentative for 20 January:
    • STAR WARS #15 $3.99
    • STAR WARS TP LANDO $16.99

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    When is the C-3PO single issue supposed to come out? It's the one that explains how he got the red arm.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  12. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Had no idea Vader Down parts 5 and 6 came out last week... I was at my LCS this weekend to pick up Anakin and Obi-Wan and somehow didn't notice them.. Hopefully they'll still have some in stock this week.
    Need to start checking this thread more often I guess :p

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah.

You and loads of other people. :p

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Confirmed for 20 January:
    • STAR WARS #15 $3.99
    • STAR WARS TP LANDO $16.99
    Tentative for 27 January:
    • KANAN #10 $3.99
    • OBI-WAN AND ANAKIN #1 CHECCHETTO 2ND PTG VAR $3.99
    • STAR WARS #13 BROOKS 2ND PTG VAR $3.99

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh, I've already seen the Lando trade at B&N.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, Wordery already have it too, some booksellers have supply lines that don't rely on Diamond.

17. smittyjaja

smittyjaja Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2016
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They may or may not make those dates.

If you're new to buying comics, the 1138 article linked in my sig might be of help navigating the minefield.

19. Cappy97

Cappy97 Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    Hey Ben, do you know if these dates will be added to the main list (which looks like it needs a big update)?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The problem Cappy is that solicit dates are not entirely reliable - best to read them as an expected date rather than actual.

The only reliable dates are those at Midtown . Diamond 4-7 days before the issues come out.

21. Cappy97

May 25, 2005

I understand the comics but looking at months like December/January, they are virtually bare and there's been releases. Just seems like that part fell by the wayside somewhere along the way. I ask because that's always been a valuable resource for me and it's hard to make use of it if it's incomplete.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True, but I've lost count of the number of posts I've read to the effect of: 'Went to the shop and the issue wasn't there'.

That and things change - C3PO one-shot, due Nov, slipped to Feb, now expected March.

As a general resource of what issues are solicited, I'd say the Marvel General News and Trades thread is the better option - the monthly solicits regularly get posted there along with other info that'll enable you to do some forward planning.

I just post the weekly release info here, grabbed from Diamond.

23. Cappy97

May 25, 2005

Sorry, I should have clarified. I mean the historicals with novels, YR, etc. Looks like the last update was 8/5/14. :(

24. Cappy97

May 25, 2005
    BTW, just want to add that I'm not criticizing anyone or anything, just trying to contribute. :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I wouldn't be concerned about that, your posts read fine.