main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: BLOODLINE (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , May 4, 2016.

1. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    The sad part is technically it is a YA novel, not a A. :(

2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Bloodline is an "adult novel", not YA. Lost Stars is YA although in my view it makes no difference what classification it is. a good book is a good book.

for what it's worth Bloodline is tied for me with AND and the servants series (I class all as one) as best NU canon book.

9/10 -
    I would have wanted one more jaunt with Leia and Casterfo

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    My mistake. For some reason I thought both Bloodline and Lost Stars were both YA.

4. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Can I just say how refreshing it is to see a slew of positivity for a new SW book? :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In short, it's nearly perfect. A real page-turner.

Character-centric (and good at it), deep, thoughtful, insightful, funny, great depiction of Leia, great writing style, lots of tender loving care went into this book and you can tell.

I want more books like this.

Can we clone Claudia Gray?

10/10

DarthBreezy likes this.
  6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    10/10 for me. Leia has never been written so well, imo. Most of the time her characterization in the Legends came off as prickly and self-righteous to me. To the point that I really didn't like her EU character.

I love how Gray brought elements of PT, OT and ST together. The mentions of Padme, Breha and Bail are perfect, and she reflects at one point after Castero is taken that knowing what Luke has said about Anakin, and the rage that she feels she could better understand how rage and helplessness could have caused Anakin to turn.

The growth of Ransolm Castero over the novel was believable and brought a lot of depth to his character. Greer, Joph and Korr were well written and even the senators weren't shallow. No cookie cutter characters in this book.

After Aftermath, which I didn't even finish, I had low expectations of the New EU. I'm glad I gave this book a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This is the easiest 10/10 that I have ever given a novel before.

Claudia Gray in my opinion gave us a great depiction of Leia and how she viewed the political atmosphere. But more importantly we got introduced to some other characters such as Ransolm Casterfo who I ended up liking at the end. Bloodline also gave us a pretty definite Timeline reference for those of us who have been wondering when Luke disappeared. Claudia even got Han's character spot on I believe. At least from what I read it was definitely the Han Solo I remember.

I don't know what else I can say about this book. There was information given to us. Which in the long run does give us some answers.

Superb.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    159/17 = 9.35

9. Krambo

Krambo Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2016
    9/10. Really solid, but I just didn't like it as much as Lost Stars or Aftermath. That's really my only "complaint".

10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    7/10

Very decent read, though political debates in the Senate is never my cup of tea. Just prefer tales of knights, the military, honorable nobles, or the technical side of things.However, world or Galaxy building information in this case, regarding the political situation of the Galaxy is right up my alley. Princess Leia is also probably my favorite Rebel character, so it was very interesting to read about her political career after Endor.

In particular, I really enjoyed following the Ransolm Casterfo storyline throughout the novel. Thought the differing points of views of the Centrists and Populists were portrayed very well and fairly. Also the fact that each party had different wings and agendas as well, was well done.

I did think the story, and some of the characters, were a little too predictable at times though. Though I liked the tale of the origin of their name, the Amaxine warriors just didn't feel like a major threatening villain to me, though I know they are setting up the First Order. Plus their name always reminded me of Anaxes every time I saw it, RIP. Speaking of that, I think making up new planets is great, but could of used a few more name drops of some EU planets.

Still overall its certainly not a bad book by any measure, since my issues are more due to my personal tastes. Now all I can hope for is a glorious return to power of the Elder Houses for a more civilized age, populated with some worthy and honorable nobles. ;)

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    9/10

No actual complaints; I think it was the best version of this book it could possibly have been. Ultimately I'm biased toward OCs (especially Gray's) so it just wasn't as strong as Lost Stars and it felt weird giving it a perfect score.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    7/10 from me. Very well written and Claudia Gray's skilled hands make the problems less noticeable, but they're still there. There's a review on the first page that goes into more detail but there's so many very important details glossed over that seem unforgivable. Like pop-politics when it should be more fleshed out. There seems to be no actual system in place, it's just a prop so Leia can be angry and lots of gridlock no matter what.

Also, I didn't really buy ANYTHING about the Vader reveal, or it completely tanking Leia's career. The way the information was found out was contrived.

Leia's been with the Rebel Alliance since the beginning, and it seems so idiotic to dismiss all her accomplishments, and the accomplishments of the New Republic just because her dad was a bad man. Wasn't there a part of the book that said many of these Senators were young, and didn't entirely feel the brute force of the Empire? Why do they care so much about this issue then?

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    10/10 for me.

This book had so much nuance and character that it made it, I'd say, the best of the Canon I've read so far. We got a Leia who was deep and felt a wide range of emotions throughout the book that you can sympathize with and the end....the end is just heartbreaking. Not only is Leia portrayed vividly but the other characters as well, Ransolm, Lady Carise, Vicly, Greer, etc. We get full pictures of everyone which is nice. The development of Ransolm and Leia's relationship too is fascinating. We see them go from near revulsion, to friendship, to betrayal and finally, all to late coming to a peace. What an arc!

We see Han a little and Luke and Ben are mentioned a little but this is not unexpected since it's about Leia and is a political thriller of sorts. Overall, I'd say it was a great book, gave us a more in-depth look in the post-ROTJ world and its characters and gave us a taste of the First Order's origins which I'm sure we'll see more about in the Aftermath books to come, a good start. I only wish all the books could be so great.

I have to add, if Lost Stars is anywhere near as good I can't wait to pick it up!

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lost Stars is more ambitious than Bloodline so just gets the edge, both are excellent.

16. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    My one real complaint with this novel isn't even about the novel.

Why wouldn't they let Claudia Gray tell more of her OC from Lost Stars? I am still dying for more of them and it's been a long time since I felt this vested in new characters. Probably not since the Twins/Anakin during NJO.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I doubt she would have asked--it's just a different story; I'd rather get a direct sequel to LS later than have their fates revealed as minor characters in a Leia book thirty years later.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    7/10 from me. I wrote a full review HERE in case anyone is interested, but I'll give you guys the short version.

Basically, I loved the last third of the book, but before it got to that point I found it a little boring. A little too much politics. However, I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages or so. Basically, after Carise found Bail Organa's message for Leia, I was hooked. It just took a little too long for the story to really pull me in. Gray is a great writer however, and I consider both Lost Stars and Bloodline to be in the top five best stories of the new canon. Great characters. I loved Casterfo especially. And the little nods to other NEU stories always made me smile.

Good read. I say bring on more Star Wars stories by Claudia Gray!

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, apparently Jen Heddle and Claudia Gray have known each other for decades and Jen asked Claudia to write Bloodline waaaaay before Lost Stars came out. There's a good article on the official site if you haven't read it yet (not you, Coop, I know you have, I meant the general thread audience you).

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I actually hadn't read that one yet, thanks for reminding me. :p

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Haha, glad to be of service.

22. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    7/10 good book, some great characters, but I do not want to read it again.

23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    6/10

Finally managed to wrap up my feelings regarding this book. Anyway, I feel like my opinions will be definitely on the minority. Truth is, this was perhaps my most anticipated novel of the new canon, and maybe the reason why I feel so disappointed by it is my fault for hyping it so much. I loved Lost Stars, love Leia, but this book…just doesn’t do it for me.

Positive:

1. The visual descriptions. Claudia is just my kind of author when it comes to descriptions, with just the right words to give a good picture in your head, but not overly detailed so that it allows one’s imagination to fill in the blanks.

2. The pacing. This book knows how to go from plot point to plot point without ever being too fast or too slow. The twists always happen in the right moments, even if most of them were predictable. Regardless, even when I feel the story has entered the “boring but necessary” parts of the plot, it quickly picks up soon before I can put down the book.

3. The detective plot, especially when they got close to discover the First Order’s origins. The part where Casterfo was pretending to be a Royal Guard was just awesome.

4. When Leia felt like Leia and not OOC. I loved all her conversations with Han, her brief but amusing relationship with Varish, and her reacting to the hologram of Bail. It was one of the highlights of the book.

5. The villains, with the exception of Lady Carison. I simply loved everything about Rinnrivin and Hadrassian. Honestly, I think these two were my favorite original characters of the whole book, even though they had a limited presence.

6. Most of the heroes were fine. I’m not really a fan of the “humble hero(ine) with tragic past or sad sad secret, they’re so strong and admirable but pity them too” trope that Claudia seems to like in her characters, but she managed to make Greer work for me in general. Joph was okay, and Korrie was quite enjoyable. Varish was my absolute favorite of the supporting good guys.

Negative:

1. The politics.

Or the lack of. Claudia Grey does not write about politics, she writes about the politicians’ clothes and quirks. At the end, the only fundamental difference I learned between the Centrists and Populists is…what’s written in the summary. In some instances, Leia weirdly came across as a bitter old woman jealous of the youth – and not because this was intentional I believe, but because Claudia tended to use Leia’s POV to make judgmental comments about other politicians’ fashion tastes and hobbies preferences instead of writing about the actual politics.

I don’t think it would’ve hurt the book if we had one or two pages of Centrists and Populists arguing about a law. Like, bank deregulation (what would Populist opinion be on that?). Or raising taxes to build schools. I don’t know, something that could allow these parties feel like organic elements of the New Republic with pros and cos and not, and not mere flat caricatures of extremist parties. The politics don’t need to be realistic, but they kinda needed to be there for the un-biased characterization and to give some weight for the dramatic reveals. The Centrists here were so painfully one-minded (except for Casterfo I guess) and so under-developed that it was to absolute no surprise that they were behind the First Order.

And it doesn’t make for that much of an interesting read if the book makes it pretty obvious that Centrists are the worst bunch from the beginning. The non-surprising revelation of Centrist politicians being behind the creation of the First Order could’ve been an actually interesting twist had Mon Mothma, or any other audience-recognized “good” character been portrayed as a Centrist (Empire-lover Casterfo doesn’t count). You know, if the politicians were diverse. Even in the Imperials in the Death Star in that one conference room scene were a more diverse bunch.

Also, I’m not sure what was the point of painting the Senate in constant gridlock and so horrible and corrupt? Was it to make us care even less that the New Republic got destroyed by the Starkiller Base? Well, good job.

2. Casterfo. I can’t with this character.

I really, really can’t connect Casterfo the Auschwitz Survivor to Casterfo the Neo-Nazi. There is a huge disconnection going on here for me, and it might be due to my own experiences, but this could have been resolved with the writing. Could it be that this was Casterfo’s way or overcoming his trauma and collecting Empire memorabilia as means of self-therapy? Even so, his fanboy behavior is still just bizarre. He pretty much orgasms at cool Empire stuff. I can’t grasp around the logic that Casterfo is supposed to be a slave labor survivor but somehow developed the same mindset of a middle-class white kid who glorifies what he doesn’t know about. Oh yeah, the only problem with the Empire and Vader and Palpatine, everything else was great. Okay. Then what about the stormtroopers that always accompanied Vader in his assignments and enforced his orders? I’m sure there were a lot of stormtroopers in Riosa perpetuating the abuse on the workers. Are you telling me Casterfo had no problem whatsoever in worshiping stormtrooper helmets but the thought of Vader makes him vomit? Does he consciously select the traumas he wants to have and the ones he doesn’t want to have?

I needed to see Casterfo arguing about what he thought the Empire was good for like the passionate politician he was supposed to be. I needed to understand –maybe in a line or two – how he got around his tragedy and rationalized that Imperial rule was actually the best for the galaxy. Did he, as a politician, encounter good examples where the Imperial campaigns had good consequences? Did he meet a kind stormtrooper who offered him a new perspective? Did he meet people from worlds who had succumbed to anarchy and criminal rule due to lack of a strong ruling fist? Was Riosa one of those worlds, and he decided to see Vader as the only problem there but not the Empire in general? I needed some glimpses of his (non-existing) logic that could have been served throughout several instances in the book. Like when they were at the Bastatha banquet and the Nikto hosts were discussing politics; instead of just writing Casterfo’s involvement as “oh he wasn’t sure how a good Centrist should respond” – no, show us some of the arguing! Explain us his character! Tell us where his logic comes from!

But it’s weird that Claudia didn’t bother to explore Casterfo’s Imperial philosophy outside of “they stood for strength! And had cool armors!”. That Aldeeran guy from Lost Stars (Nash, I believe)? I got it. It was his way of coping with the trauma of losing everything and having nothing left but the Empire to serve. It was his way of surviving – and finding something to fight for – in the predatory regime he had been indoctrinated into. A few times he provided his point of view on the situation, or at least the way he rationalized the whole thing, and his insane rationalization was backed by the fact that he was not the only Imperial in that book who did insane mental gymnastics to justify his only purpose in life.

Casterfo? I don’t get him at all. How did he even arrive to the conclusion that a totalitarian regime that enforces control on others would be better without Palpatine or Vader? It’s like the author just wanted an eccentric good-looking character with an Empire fetish for the SW Empire fans but also with a Vader-related sad past so that Leia and the readers could empathize with him, and never bothered to make a connection between the two. It’s unfortunate that Nash was a much better written character in his short appearances in Lost Stars than Casterfo was in this entire book.

3. Woobie!Princess Leia and her OOC portrayal.

I expected reasonably depressing thoughts, I expected bitterness towards what happened with the Empire, I expected denial and coldness towards Vader, but I did not expect this:

“Some of them had honestly believed they were doing the right thing, or she told herself. But how could you believe that after you watched a nineteen-year old girl writhing on the floor and screaming for mercy that never came? How could you stand there and watch that girl convulse in helpless agony without doing something, anything to help? Apparently some people could.”

The heck is with this over the top self-pity? One is not too young to be supplying a rebel army, stealing highly confidential plans from space Nazis, leading countless rebels to their deaths and blowing up populated battle stations, but is too young to be tortured for information? Or is it because she is was a woman, and should have been granted extra privilege? Why the heck should the stormtroopers take pity on her when her actions were putting their lives in danger?

Princess Leia. War general. Tough as a rock.

I don’t know if this is just an unfortunate consequence of gender-based introspective writing or if it’s just Claudia’s tendency of woobifying every character. I mean, I cannot imagine James Bond, who’s been through all kinds of torture, ever having this kind of inner thoughts. I can’t imagine Poe. Or even a young Anakin fresh in the Clone Wars in a similar hypothetical scenario. “How could have those Separatists just stand there watching that nineteen year old boy writhing in agony and not doing anything to help him, like, giving him a glass of water or something, anything”.
    No.
    My point is, this type of angtsy writing has to make sense for the character. For Casterfo? It makes sense, because Claudia kinda wrote him that way. Plus his memories come from an innocent child who did not understand what was going on. For Leia? It makes no sense. That’s not her character. She comes off more as an innocent Auschwitz survivor rather than a warrior who knew the risks and choose to face them. Introspective writing that emphasizes the character’s tortured youth/innocence/femininity and how unfair it was for her, does not work on characters who were not (mentally) portrayed that way when the events happened.

And this is throughout the book. Another example:

“Was I just called a spoiled brat by a princess?”
    “A princess who lost everything when she was no older than they are now.”
    Woah random wagsnt. What happened to Princess Leia’s icy style “deal with it?”

And don’t get me started on the pity contest between her and Casterfo. “How dare you compare your childhood trauma to what Vader did to me!”

Yeah just………….no. Leia is NOT a Sympathetic Sue. She is a much better character than that, and one should not need to over-dramatize her dialogue and portray her borderline OOC just to make the reader feel sorry for her.

I know that the scene where Leia mourns over her parents and Alderaan was criminally missing from ANH, but regardless, he strong-minded, mission-oriented and selfless personality shown in the OT should have given a clear indication that this is not a character that wallows in self-pity for 23 years. The fact that she, in the beginning of the book, blatantly refused to conduct professional discussions with Casterfo because she was so oh offended by his fanboyism was just bizarre. Leia is not the type of character to let her private angst govern her behavior, much less put it in front of her political missions. And again, the focus of her dramatic conversation with Casterfo should have not been Vader. It’s not what she has to live with at the moment, is not even what should concern her at the moment. It’s the memory of Bail that was used against her, a memory from a childhood box she did not know it existed. It’s the future of her son and how this information might impact him. That’s what the focus of her words should have been about. Yet Ben was only mentioned as an afterthought, and Leia never bothered to ask Casterfo were he got that box from much less demand him to give it back. I guess that was not as important as telling him how she felt about being betrayed by friend of the month and how much more hooooorrible Vader was to her than he was to a man who watched his parents being tortured and slowly dying a painful death as an innocent child.
    Dear lord.

4. That Friendship of the Month.

It’s rather difficult for me to buy that Leia would just BFF anyone with a Vader-related tragedy. Because I’m sure there wouldn’t be enough room in her holo-contact-list to fit everyone in. The way their relationship went from Leia refusing to talk to him because he had stupid Empire fetish, to share a deep friendship because they both shared the same angst, to feel horribly betrayed by him, to wanting to kill everyone because he was wrongly accused, all in less than a year, was… fanfiction-ish (lacking more appropriate vocabulary). I found it bizarre that Leia just swept all her past political grievances with Casterfo under the rug and Casterfo’s bad points (from Leia’s POV) were instantly justified/accepted because of his sad, sad childhood. Heck she even began to believe he would make a good politician, because…poor, poor Casterfo? It’s like suddenly finding Donald Trump is not a bad politician after all because he was abused when he was 6 years old and he also doesn’t like gangsters.

I liked the Vader realization moment of Leia, but I have a hard time digesting it happened with Casterfo, of all people. I am sure she had previous “darkside” moments in her life (watching Han being carbon-frozen may have been one of them) and plenty opportunities to think about it and have her eureka moment regarding her father. Not too long ago in the Marvel comics, there was a good moment with Eneb, who went from ally to batsh-t crazy serial killer; I am sure that later prompted her to make her own associations with her father and internal rationalizations. The fact that it only happened now, 23 years later, because of poor, poor (and handsome) Casterfo, was just contrived to me.

5. The revelation of Darth Vader being Leia’s father.

How the Senate acted upon the revelation was…curious. I thought the Centrists would try to win Leia over to their side with this. I had trouble understanding their reactions, and in a post-Empire galaxy where a sizable chunk of the population certainly had an imperial in their family (I mean, it was a freaking galactic-wide Empire that lasted for 25 years, not some outside terrorist organization or some small short-lived government) it’s a little odd that they would chastise anyone for their family lineage.

Another thing that I thought odd was that the Senate did not know about Vader killing the Emperor. It’s odd, because they were so well informed about every other adventure of Leia, Han and Luke. So the OT3 broadcasted to the world everything that happened to them, but they conveniently left out the detail of how Palps died because….? I wonder what is the New Republic-approved history textbook version of what happened in the Death Star 2.0. They must’ve known Luke surrendered himself and was brought to see the Emperor, and hours later he was spotted (by Poe’s mother, no less) leaving the station alone in an Imperial fighter. I somehow can’t imagine Luke taking all the credit and not saying a word about what happened.

I understand that maybe the plot of this book wouldn’t work as well if they knew about Vader killing Palpatine. But it’s already barely working as it is. The whole situation is contrived and oh too convenient. Nothing is explained as to why it is the way it is, and things just happen like they do because plot.

Moreover, I’m also having a hard time imagining how this decision about keeping Vader’s identity a secret came into place. I wonder if a conversation like this happened in Endor:

Leia: Luke can you please not tell the others that the reason why we’re making a funeral pyre out in the open at night for Darth Freaking Vader is because Vader is our father?
    Luke: Why Leia? He is our father, he defeated the darkside for us. You were even his last dying wish. And he is a great example I can use in my future Jedi Order about how the darkside is weaker than the lightside, and that the lightside always prevails at the end.
    Leia: Yeah, but once Han knocks me up I’ll need time to tell my future child that Darth Vader is his grandfather. Plus it might ruin my future political career. Think about my future feelings, Luke.
    Luke: Here’s a better idea: why don’t we just don’t tell anyone that we’re related? Only Han knows, right? I’ll carry the burden of our father’s legacy for the both of us and you can do whatever you want with your life.
    Leia: …Nah, that’s too logical. We need senseless drama to sell future Star Wars stories.

Minor nipticks:

6. The wacky characterization of Lady Carison. She went from one-dimensional dimwit who only thinks about tiaras to ta-ha! the true evil Sugar Momma of the First Order, military, fascism, hurr hurr! Dear lord, the only two vaguely developed Centrists in this book have both a split personality.

7. I don’t know why Greer was so upset with Casterfo. It’s not like she knew more about him than being a politician with a Nazi fetish. They never bonded over their sad pasts, did they? Where does this come from:
    “Is this the “peaceful life” I have to live if I want to avoid dying from bloodrun? This…quiet mediocry in the service of corruption?”
    ?
    Greer, you serve Leia (not the corrupt Senate), and you live in a galaxy where slavery is still practiced freely, nazi armies are being built and criminal organizations are growing larger and taken over independent worlds. Yet you only think about the purpose of living when Empire fanboy you barely knew gets framed?
    Aaah. Poor poor (and handsome) Casterfo. This should’ve been the title of the book.

24. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    10 for me as well.

IamZam likes this.
  25. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The most important things about this book was Leia who Claudia Grey handled very well. I have to say Leia's portrayal in the NEU is superb and this book was the best yet. Also, the original characters in this book were great and an invaluable addition to the universe. They all added a lot to the story. Bloodline is an example of why we need more political plots in Star Wars; it was so engaging and the story unfolded in a satisfying manner. Star Wars politics are so fascinating and stories like Bloodline easily become among my favorite. And I think Bloodline may be the best political Star Wars book. The novel did a good job at providing background information for TFA and definitely added depth to the movie. However, it is also a grest standalone. Claudia Grey needs to write more Star Wars books; she really understands the universe.

10/10

IamZam likes this.